Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
I mean if you're bored, don't let me stop you with tuning posts. Your posts are very readable and informative :)

Right now my biggest concern is still hitting operating temp. I really don't think I'm hitting 180 as my gauge cluster has never been the most accurate but now its completly dead. So I'll find out soon enough once new gauges arrive.

I'm thinking of putting the fan on a switch but thats probably a stupid fix and I should just put a smaller radiator/fan back on im not sure. I realize now how important it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I will just takes moments where I can sit down at the PC for a while.

The gauge cluster is a bad water temp gauge. It's normal reading is something like 160-220 degrees. It's fine for cold, normal, and oh gently caress but that's it.

If your ecu has the pins installed for the hulog you can monitor what temp the ecu thinks the coolant is. This is gospel for tuning.

Make sure your coolant system is full. Both ecu and gauge temp sensors are near the top of the cylinder head. Low coolant and they'll only get splashed as you Rev the engine.

If it's full and not leaking then it's your thermostat.

Only put a fan switch on to force the fan when the cars off. Let the ecu controll it normally too. If it's kicking on you're getting up to temp per the ecu.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Leveling pads are done? Done until they're tested anyway. If they work I'll paint them.

Tomorrow I'll set them up and see what happens. First time I've gotten the tig to complain about heat since i moved here. That was a lot of welding.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
That looks great. Painting them a cool color I hope?

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
I did not even notice you had computer scales in those levelers. I thought they were just for basic alignment.

With those you can see where all the weight is balanced towards and fix accordingly?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
yeah, they all plug into a control box and it tells you the weight on each wheel as well as cross %, etc.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

builds character posted:

That looks great. Painting them a cool color I hope?

I haven't even thought about it yet. Open to suggestions though.

Phone posted:

yeah, they all plug into a control box and it tells you the weight on each wheel as well as cross %, etc.

Yep exactly. FFR owner's scales so an easy request there. Dude who lent the hub stands has the same scales so he can borrow the leveling pads too.

Very hot and insane humidity but went for it anyway today. The instructions for the hub stands recommend you do NOT use them as casters. So I put the wheels back on and dropped them on casters.

Shoved the car under the lift and plopped everything down where the sharpie marks were. Then I leveled the front left scale. It just had to be flat.

Next I sat a laser level on it, marked a square where the laser hit, and brought the rest into line.

Marked where the feet hit the concrete with a sharpie and moved them out of the way.

Through sheer luck, they stack. I didn't design this into them but got insanely lucky.

And then car back into its home.

I'm not sure if leaving a car on scales overnight will hurt them or not. But it's also an untested system so I called it there and will start fresh tomorrow.

2 post lift would be the ideal way to do this.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
https://painthuffer.bigcartel.com/product/purple-haze

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

These are gonna get kicked around and I don't have a spare gun. Rattle can only lol.

Pads seem to work.

Installed one simulated driver at 200lbs. 1 battery, 2.5 gal water, some soap, 8 used rotors, and a misc tool box of crap.

Scale computer is touchy. It's old. Shuts off a lot but seems to work.

One really cool thing the hub stands do is thrust angle. This measures the rear toe relative to the chassis.

It's within the baked in scales tolerance for being dead straight in the rear. It was last set on a real alignment rack so no suprise.

I measured everything as it started. My setups one issue is I can't get 20 deg both directions for caster. Looks like I can check it vs +/-10 deg but I'm guessing more makes for a better measurement.

Also the milled finish on the scale pads doesn't let the stands really slide. Might skim them or make some hats that are a little less rough.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Aww yeah looks like we're signing up for Aug 7 for an autox shake down and Aug 25 at mid oh for a proper track day. Maybe.

Emailed them about single seater vs novice group.

Fun story about that. After my civic got stolen I rebuilt it. When starting that I called the people that do salvage titles and they told me "when it's done call us and we'll issue a temp.tag for inspection."

So i get the car running and parking lot drivable and call.

Sure first appointment is in 2 months.

Fuuuuckkkkk ok.

Still working at the first shop and the owner offers to load my car in the trailer for an upcoming track day.

OK! At this point the car is minimum viable car. One seat, roll bar, 5pt, engine, suspension, and brakes. It's race car gutted. Emphasis on single seat.

Enter the lead/follow track day.

I'm a novice. Novices get an instructor. These lunatics are willing to get into a newbies car at a race track for free track time so 99% They're there with their own track car.

He can't ride shotgun so he's gonna take his car too, I'll follow it for a few laps until I get a point by. Then he'll follow me.

Sounds great.

I follow a couple laps, he follows me a couple laps. I get a thumbs up as he rolls out. 4 laps in at a track I've never been to before in my life. I muddle through but it's sketchy. After the first session he tells me "you're fine have fun"

Other stuff happens but the highlight is this. The other shop car that's there is a 91 crx si setup for scca ita racing. Last session I see him behind me. Give him a point by on the front straight.

I'm thinking perfect, similar car, similar build, let's follow this guy he knows what's up. What I didn't know was before the last session he had ditched the cheap and comparable tires for some 225 wide Hoosier stickers.

We go past my braking point. Past half my.braking point and I panic and start braking. His brake lights flash for a heartbeat and he's gone. I'm out of straight and time so off the brakes and turn in. Car starts sliding, tires screaming (first noise they've made all day) and I scrub my way through turn 1 at a 45 deg angle. I took a bite out of the seat and limped it back to the pits. Done for the day.

After the crx driver said when he saw me sticking to his tail he thought "oh no don't try it" and then "welp gently caress" when I vanished a corner later.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Alignment done. The back and forth was not bad. What was really nice was all the measurements repeated between different days.

I'm very curious if it will do it again next time too.

It could be a little more dialed in but this is plenty close for an autox and a track day. I'll get data from that and have something to work with. I'm definitely going to be taking much better notes than I used to (that are all lost). I'm very excited to mix changes with getting to drive it after.

I also sorted a good way to hold one end still while jacking up the other.

Its back on the lift after some musical cars. Pulling it out and back in under its own power was satisfying. Also met another neighbor lol. Well neighbors kid, 17 years old and likes cars.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Today was sheet metal and rivets.

I put on f1 in the background and started in on the radiator ducting.

This isn't great but the very front supports are heavily tweaked. Upgrades here will have to wait until I replace them.

Then I started in on a pet peeve of the car. The shifter boot was never mounted and the sheet metal around it was hacked crap.

The holes in it are for 2 different transmissions that aren't in the car.

Little CAD

A luckily sized hole saw and lots of band saw and belt sander later.

Much better. Tomorrow I'll do proper rivets to the sheet metal under it, and install the p clips for the battery cable and racepak wiring.

Debating if I want to install the fuel gauge and headlight wiring now or later. Either way mount body and doors, set timing, plunk a hood on and it'll be ready. I hope.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Is that a Moroso switch panel? I like how the fuses are right there in the front for you to check easy

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I forget what brand but yeah basically.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Had some questions about that fox body but I had to go back and saw you made a post answering all of them all ready!

Saw the weight on your alignment sheet, 2200lbs. What kind of power you think that 302 is making? That thing looks like an absolute blast to drive. You're taking it out to that autox day or your BRZ?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

It's going out for the auto x as a shakedown. With gas wheels and driver it'll be about 2400lbs.

Last dyno it made 340hp at the wheels.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

honda whisperer posted:

It's going out for the auto x as a shakedown. With gas wheels and driver it'll be about 2400lbs.

Last dyno it made 340hp at the wheels.

Properly rowdy and fun

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Properly rowdy and fun

I've gotta be honest I'm a little worried. The brz is my first rwd car. I've driven plenty but it's the first I've felt free to really gently caress around in. It's currently 200whp (ish per tuner no dyno so definitely less) at 3000lbs with driver.

15:1 power to weight.

The ffr is literally twice as fast. With no aids. No abs, no vsc, and no traction control. I plan on creeping up to the limit.

Today I threw more rivets at it. Not exciting. Then I went for the dash.

Ok not terrible. The things I have to unbolt instead of unplug are the oil pressure sensor, the kill switch, starter button, fire bottle, and racepak.

Protip on fire bottles. They're fail "safe" meaning they're primed to go off. There's the pull cable that holds them in the don't discharge position (think grenade pin) and a hole to do the same for removal. If you've lost the pin drill bits worm amazingly well.

Fuel gauge eyeballed.

Sketchy

Good enough.

Matching gauge was $140 vs $30 for summit brand.

If and when I remake the dash it'll be cnc or laser cut. But this one is already toast so quick and dirty.

Wiring tomorrow.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

honda whisperer posted:

I've gotta be honest I'm a little worried. The brz is my first rwd car. I've driven plenty but it's the first I've felt free to really gently caress around in. It's currently 200whp (ish per tuner no dyno so definitely less) at 3000lbs with driver.

15:1 power to weight.

The ffr is literally twice as fast. With no aids. No abs, no vsc, and no traction control. I plan on creeping up to the limit.

Going back a bit it looks like you have pretty meaty slicks, if you can get heat into them and be precise with your right foot you should be ok. Auto-x so worst case you'll loop it a few times trying to get a feel for it. It should be a very communicative chassis which should help feel when things are getting near the edge.

Learning a car with a power:weight like that is a very gradual thing. You've got a good base of experience and you respect the car, you should be ok. Have fun and don't forget to get video!

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 13, 2022

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Auto x is the shake down. Mid Ohio at the end of the month. I'm not sweating the autox.

I think I'll be fine, I was a LOT younger last time I did track stuff. It is weird to think about now though. Back then I'd hop in anything with anyone and now not so much.

Video will be had. Good bad or ugly I'll post it.

Dash wiring went well till I tried to start it to confirm. Button didn't work, poked it and it fell apart. New ones on its way.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

New starter buttons in and everything seems to be working. I'll need to add gas to confirm the fuel level gauge works.

Got the rest of the body back on.

The body is rough. All the front end mounts are tweaked in every direction. But it doesn't have to be pretty. Fixing that will be a good cold weather project. gently caress sweaty fiberglass work.

Probably fix the mounts, make it all snap together with latches or dzus fastners, re design the rad ducting, and add brake ducts. Also redo the exhaust so it doesn't rub. Then pretty it up a bit.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

You're doing great work!

Are those zip ties holding in the headlights???

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Yes, yes it is. They're empty plastic housings, no guts.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Race car life is zip ties, gaffer tape (seriously good stuff, look it up) and temporary fixes that last for entire seasons or longer.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Never tried gaffers tape, I'll get some, used plenty of duct tape though. Lotta zip ties on this thing. I've been replacing them as I find them. They're old enough to be brittle.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

honda whisperer posted:

Never tried gaffers tape, I'll get some, used plenty of duct tape though. Lotta zip ties on this thing. I've been replacing them as I find them. They're old enough to be brittle.

Gaffers tape has a fabric base and the adhesive is bonded way better so it doesn't leave a sticky mess. It's also able to handle heat without melting. It's absolutely worth the cost. The GafferPower brand from Amazon is decent, but not quite as nice as the professional brands.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
lol theres an amazonbasics knockoff now. of course there is.

i usually get pro-gaff, and find it to be about the same as shurtape (which is the benchmark that all the film guys use) but don't know how it compares to gafferpower. never tried that one

all the reviews on amazon are from women who use it to provide support under a strapless dress, which is not a use-case i had considered before

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

You're doing great work!

Are those zip ties holding in the headlights???

Yo bro this is a honda thread at heart <3

Car is looking good

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Fallows posted:

Yo bro this is a honda thread at heart <3

Car is looking good

Thanks. We will return to your regularly scheduled programming shortly.

To quote the goon that ls swapped his s2000

Any one wanna race my non vtec single cam?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Hans device showed up today. It'll be easier to find out now vs at the track so I dug out all the safety gear.

Fire suit is from years and years ago doing pit stops for scca enduros. It still fits! Ahahha. A little less fat would help but I'm not worried it's gonna blow out getting in and out of the car.

Added the rest and began sweating in the ac. Hopped in the car and ok there too but way hotter.

Getting into a car with a hans is way way harder vs bare helmet.

The ffr has a very upright seat. I went with the 20 deg hans and it works with it. Helmet isn't getting pushed forwards. Side to side is limited but with the cage more rotation won't let me see more anyway.

It's surprising how little forward head travel you get with the belts on.

Got out and tried the civic too. 20 deg is perfect in there.

I know the track day hosts would be cool with helmet, jeans, and a t-shirt but this isn't a production car and it's not really sealed at all. Engine fire to inside fire wouldn't have a lot of delay so I'd rather be sweaty.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Those cool suit things are even more rad than I expected after I tried one for the first time :)

I'm a hans and helmet after I get in the car kinda guy, have you tried that?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Not yet but I'm going to. Do you do hans and helmet as an assembly or get in, hans and belts, helmet and then quick disconnects?

I figure I can mess with it not in a fire suit later. Definitely want to drill getting out a bit to since I got tangled up with the arm restraints this time.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I personally get in, lap belts, helmet/hans as one (have to bend forward at the waist depending on the cage/interior), helmet chin strap, shoulder belts, push hans back by tilting my head back, pull the shoulder belts tight, then gloves.

It for sure doesn't work in some cars because you can't get your helmet on with enough space though.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I'll try that first. Thanks!

Open cockpit so infinite vertical room.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Poured 5 gallons of gas in the ffr and low and behold it starts and idles like a dream. After putting the fuel cell in I only added about 3 gallons so if there was an issue I could get it back out.

Fuel gauge still reads 00. gently caress. I'll look at that later.

Then I cranked up Benny hill and got the brz on the lift. Road trip coming up so I thought I'd give it a quick once over and make sure the header bolts were still tight. About 2k miles since install.

Maybe a little soot? No obvious leaks. It sounds fine driving. It sounds awful on startup but always goes back to normal maybe 30 seconds after start. The internet says that's normal and a leak sounds like rod knock.

99% peace of mind before 9hrs one way. Everything else was fine. Coatings holding up beautifully.

Reading the stories about track days making them back out plus the engine being high strung I think I'll order gaskets and hardware, copper spray them, and safety wire the whole mess. Won't sweat it short term though. I bet if I have parts on hand it's never an issue.

Ffr checklist for auto x

Fuel gauge? Not required
Doube check fuel pressure.
Set timing
Install and test cool suit
Tires
Trailer tires.
Bleed brakes one last time just because.
More gas.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

honda whisperer posted:

Poured 5 gallons of gas in the ffr and low and behold it starts and idles like a dream. After putting the fuel cell in I only added about 3 gallons so if there was an issue I could get it back out.

Fuel gauge still reads 00. gently caress. I'll look at that later.

Then I cranked up Benny hill and got the brz on the lift. Road trip coming up so I thought I'd give it a quick once over and make sure the header bolts were still tight. About 2k miles since install.

Maybe a little soot? No obvious leaks. It sounds fine driving. It sounds awful on startup but always goes back to normal maybe 30 seconds after start. The internet says that's normal and a leak sounds like rod knock.

99% peace of mind before 9hrs one way. Everything else was fine. Coatings holding up beautifully.

Reading the stories about track days making them back out plus the engine being high strung I think I'll order gaskets and hardware, copper spray them, and safety wire the whole mess. Won't sweat it short term though. I bet if I have parts on hand it's never an issue.

Ffr checklist for auto x

Fuel gauge? Not required
Doube check fuel pressure.
Set timing
Install and test cool suit
Tires
Trailer tires.
Bleed brakes one last time just because.
More gas.

Still looking forward to your first race videos. Please be sure to post them.

And still disappointed your headers couldn’t be painted in something bright. Coating definitely looks like it’s held up great though so that’s excellent.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Took a week off work to see the family. That was great. The BRZ is not a great road trip car but it's pretty good and by far the best I've ever had.

Speaking of video, I'm putting the last polish on the car. One part of that is cameras. NASA now requires front and rear facing cameras in all competition cars, also video is sweet and great for review and improving.

There's a problem though. Car came with a gopro mounted, and I have one too. They're both hero 3 blacks. Pinnacle of tech at the time, not great now. Also the batteries are toast. Just getting autox video required turning mine on and off just before and after a run and it barely made the whole day. Maybe 20 min of battery now?

First I picked up the new hotness at Costco. Hero 10 black. It was on sale and gently caress it, 4k at up to 120 fps or 2k at 240. Image stabilization. An actual screen on the back. That'll be the forward camera. Hero 3 for rear facing.

It does leave one camera free to float. I could do driver facing, pedals, or suspension cam. Vote now.

Now for the battery. Ordered a couple cheap ones off Amazon but that will give an hour in ideal conditions.

Both old and new support pass through charging. Plug them in and they'll run off USB so I grabbed a battery bank too. Now I just need to mount everything.

Gopros

First attempt at bending a housing for the battery with sheet metal.

It did not work because the 3 in 1 sheet metal thing from HF sucks.

Guess which finger. Luckily I'm borrowing that (storing it till the owner wants it more than the space).

Ok go with what you know.

Good enough. I need a nutsert tool. Bolt would beat the self tapper for retention but later. Tomorrow I'll try to drill holes in the cases and route the USB cables.

This should allow for recording until the SD cards are full.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

honda whisperer posted:

Good enough. I need a nutsert tool. Bolt would beat the self tapper for retention but later. Tomorrow I'll try to drill holes in the cases and route the USB cables.

This should allow for recording until the SD cards are full.

That's pretty nice and blends a lot better than our version... 4-plug cig adapter velcro'd then duct taped to the trans tunnel.

Isn't it nice mounting cameras to things with cages and a nearly infinite amount of places to place it?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Oh yeah. Also not having to tuck it away in some hidden spot and running the wires through some convoluted route.

Cig adapter permanently wired in still might come later though. Keeping the bank charged is one more thing to maintain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

That front facing one looks like its gonna have a really good view. If the quality of your fab/mechanic work is any indication of your driving skill then some very nice video is gonna come out of those go pros!