Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

mycophobia posted:

Fwiw you can skip SuperS completely and miss nothing

Definitely. That shits real bad.

Larryb posted:

I dunno, I watched the 90’s series for the first time just a few years ago and had fun with it (in fact it’s probably my favorite incarnation of the franchise aside from the 2000’s live action series)

Everyone should definitely watch the Live action. Its so bad that it comes back around to being good. Plus its got Kitagawa Keiko, who is the only one to come out of that thing with a real career.

Arc Hammer posted:

I think it's because it hit at the right time to capture the attention of a large audience of teens and tweens where it was their first time experiencing a subversive take on the genre, and did it well.

Yea 2011 was full of nothing but bangers for their respective genres and was probably the beginning of the second wave of the anime boom.

Think about that year: Anohana, Steins;gate, Beezlebub, Usagi Drop, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

NikkolasKing posted:

Although that isn't necessarily a sign of having a super dark work. Dragon Ball Z meanwhile, in its most lighthearted arc, has Buu genocide the entire planet(at the heroes' own insistence) and then follows it up by having Buu kill a good chunk of the heroes and their loved ones, too.

Dark is one of thosee terms everyone knows but few can precisely define. But I personally don't think "has characters dying" makes a work that dark. I think it has to have a consistent tone of hopelessness. A Song of Ice and Fire will always be my go-to example.

I think the critical element here is that the character deaths in a "dark" work instill an element of "But why!? *surprised pikachu face*" sense of violation and dread in the viewer (when done well). The work put effort into putting the viewer into a face sense of security and betrayed those expectations, and in some works will see how low you the viewer are willing to go; the viewer will shift their expectations from "Our heroes will vanquish the evil in the world" to "our heroes(several character deaths and stages of bargaining later)*this* background character I like will survive!".

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Endorph posted:

actually ig fate/stay night also ripped this off.

According to Nasu the original plan for FSN came up to him in high school which would probably be before 2002, but seeing the release dates it's possible it did influence them, huh. Although FSN is more of an altered Makai Tensho but with Western figures to not be too obvious by their word (to the point it wrapped back with FGO having literally Fate Makai Tensho as a chapter)

Also wb Endorph, we missed ya.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

live action sailor moon owns bones

also yea i feel like theres a difference between dark Parts (like in sm or tmm where something bads going on) vs the like, Tone of a show being dark, and i think those two things tend to get conflated a lot (especially when it comes to magical girl stuff, which is basically the same as mecha stuff)

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Fluffdaddy posted:

How dare you

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Roth posted:

Thinking of watching Bakemonogatari in my lunch brraks. Good idea: Y/N?

Yes.

I actually just finished monogatari s2 and hanamonogatari yesterday, both are great!

The monogatari series is a tad frustrating because the highs are really, really high, but the lows like nisemonogatari are pretty lovely. I put off watching the rest of the series until this year because of it!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

also happy gunbuster anniversary day

https://twitter.com/yuichiro_junior/status/1544504219662979072?s=21&t=5h7ee7RNlXByqwCOAMZyRA

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fluffdaddy posted:

Definitely. That shits real bad.

Everyone should definitely watch the Live action. Its so bad that it comes back around to being good. Plus its got Kitagawa Keiko, who is the only one to come out of that thing with a real career.

Yea 2011 was full of nothing but bangers for their respective genres and was probably the beginning of the second wave of the anime boom.

Think about that year: Anohana, Steins;gate, Beezlebub, Usagi Drop, etc.

It’s only bad when it comes to the fight scenes/effects (also Luna and Artemis being plush dolls), as far as the story and characters go it’s unironically one of the best incarnations of the franchise in my opinion. I do feel like they made Minako a bit too serious though

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Larryb posted:

It’s only bad when it comes to the fight scenes/effects (also Luna and Artemis being plush dolls), as far as the story and characters go it’s unironically one of the best incarnations of the franchise in my opinion. I do feel like they made Minako a bit too serious though

Yasuko Kobayashi cannot be stopped.

Just back-to-back banger tokusatsu writing with Ryuki and PGSM.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Humanoid Interfaces are just reverse vtubers.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

super-redguy posted:

Yasuko Kobayashi cannot be stopped.

Just back-to-back banger tokusatsu writing with Ryuki and PGSM.

Speaking of, PGSM is I believe the only Sailor Moon related thing aside from the musical stage shows that never got brought stateside. They should fix that at some point

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
welcome hoem to all who celebrate

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

It's a wednesday, not saturday. I feel lied to.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When SM got redubbed did anything happen to the old DiC dub? If not then that's major bumsville.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Lurking Haro posted:

Humanoid Interfaces are just reverse vtubers.

whoa

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nah, they presumably didn't get the rights to that. Obviously it's not lost, you can find it, but still.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Booky posted:

live action sailor moon owns bones

also yea i feel like theres a difference between dark Parts (like in sm or tmm where something bads going on) vs the like, Tone of a show being dark, and i think those two things tend to get conflated a lot (especially when it comes to magical girl stuff, which is basically the same as mecha stuff)

Speaking of mecha, the only mecha franchise I've seen a decent bit of is Gundam. The original Gundam starts off with a pretty famous little narration about how Zeon killed a ton of people. But you know what? it means nothing. Half the population died? Big whoop. It has pretty much zero impact on the show. In fact, SEED does a much, much better job with its own pre-show catastrophe as Junius Seven is constantly talked about and we at least get to see couple episodes of the devastation wrought by the PLANTS' N-Jammer counterattack.

So having a voice say "and people died" does not make a show dark. MSG 0079 ends with magical space children and it's impossible to come away from the work feeling like "this is a very depressing work with a cynical view of the world." Never seen it but I guess you gotta watch Victory for that.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think the critical element here is that the character deaths in a "dark" work instill an element of "But why!? *surprised pikachu face*" sense of violation and dread in the viewer (when done well). The work put effort into putting the viewer into a face sense of security and betrayed those expectations, and in some works will see how low you the viewer are willing to go; the viewer will shift their expectations from "Our heroes will vanquish the evil in the world" to "our heroes(several character deaths and stages of bargaining later)*this* background character I like will survive!".

That is definitely one approach. Dunno if you play video games but my favorite Final Fantasy is also the one I consider the darkest. Final Fantasy X dumps you in a world pretty much devoid of hope save for the small glint of hope represented by your party. Death and despair equally saturate life in Spira and the writing and atmosphere are committed to this from the word go. That is why I consider it a dark game.

But of course there are multiple approaches, just like you can write a lighthearted work with a ton of death - Final Fantasy IX would be a great example of this.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Lurking Haro posted:

It's a wednesday, not saturday. I feel lied to.
it’s technically on a wednesday, but it’s listed as a saturday because it’s a federal holiday

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Wb endorph, glad to see ya back

Also whoever posted the power line noise from lain, that's good stuff. Typically it's what I think of when I remember the first time I watched the show

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

NikkolasKing posted:

Speaking of mecha, the only mecha franchise I've seen a decent bit of is Gundam. The original Gundam starts off with a pretty famous little narration about how Zeon killed a ton of people. But you know what? it means nothing. Half the population died? Big whoop. It has pretty much zero impact on the show.
it’s the reason the pilots and most of the officers are teenagers, OP. so many fighting-aged people on earth are dead that the EFF is putting kids from space colonies on the front lines

NikkolasKing posted:

In fact, SEED does a much, much better job
mods

e: mod

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 6, 2022

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

no seriously madoka is literally just kamen rider ryuki but good

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

got high and started watching trigun and this kinda owns actually

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

hbag posted:

it’s very good

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Nah, they presumably didn't get the rights to that. Obviously it's not lost, you can find it, but still.

I’m still not sure why they made Usagi sound like she was at least 40 in the Cloverway dub though (the DiC and Viz actresses are much better by comparison though nobody can really compare to Mitsuishi’s performance).

That said, I will admit that Miyuu Sawai in PGSM was as close to perfect casting as you can probably get

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Larryb posted:

I’m still not sure why they made Usagi sound like she was at least 40 in the Cloverway dub though probably get
because dubs are bad and lazily produced, especially back then, and you should watch it with subtitles. the original-language cast is phenomenal, to boot!

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Speaking of mecha, the only mecha franchise I've seen a decent bit of is Gundam. The original Gundam starts off with a pretty famous little narration about how Zeon killed a ton of people. But you know what? it means nothing. Half the population died? Big whoop. It has pretty much zero impact on the show. In fact, SEED does a much, much better job with its own pre-show catastrophe as Junius Seven is constantly talked about and we at least get to see couple episodes of the devastation wrought by the PLANTS' N-Jammer counterattack.

I mean, people like what they like, but 0079 Gundam is pretty dark and nuanced with its political commentary re: war, genocide, colonization, the evolution of man.

Seed is basically an animated Affliction Tshirt.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Alright put Bakemonogatari on in the office and oh no I have been pranked!!!!!

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

monogatari is fairly NSFW if thats what you were asking

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

because dubs are bad and lazily produced, especially back then, and you should watch it with subtitles. the original-language cast is phenomenal, to boot!

I have (in fact I make it a habit to always watch any show in its original language first if I can get my hands on it), I only watched the dub a little while after the fact because I was curious (specifically the uncut Viz dub, I’ve only seen clips of the other two)

For what it’s worth though, the DiC version did have some pretty good original songs attached to it (Carry On and Only A Memory Away for example)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

hbag posted:

Trigun did a very smart thing where it frontloaded the series with the filler episodes and used them to establish Vash, Meryl and Milly's characters and then build up to the reveal that Vash the goofball really is that good a gunman to be called the Humanoid Typhoon. After that there's really only one other filler episode that admittedly is a clipshow but it's used to good effect to again explore the characters.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fluffdaddy posted:

I mean, people like what they like, but 0079 Gundam is pretty dark and nuanced with its political commentary re: war, genocide, colonization, the evolution of man.

"Humans will get psychic powers to Understand one another" is not what I'd consider a complex or subtle take on how humans will evolve. Especially not compared to genetic engineering and cloning being abused by wealthy sociopaths, and the unfortunate victims of the engineering being ostracized by a by a scared public.

Which do you think is more likely to happen and is worth thinking about?

I got no problem admitting 0079 was not good and the only reason any of us are talking about Gundam in 2022 is because of Zeta, an infinitely superior show

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Fluffdaddy posted:

ya, for a kids show made in the 70s, it was crazy grim. what else were they supposed to do? go all Barefoot Gen on saturday monthly cartoons?

NikkolasKing posted:

I got no problem admitting 0079 was not good and the only reason any of us are talking about Gundam in 2022 is because of Zeta, an infinitely superior show
Zeta is the better show today, but 0079 was what broke the ground for the entire real robot genre. plus, they had virtually infinite time and money to make Zeta after having to put out 0079 on a tight schedule/budget

~*zeta could run because 0079 crawled*~

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 6, 2022

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

0079 was a good start but it simply does not kill off enough women

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

How many Purus can we kill

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

gundam is cool and also mega blunt about like, war stinking

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Booky posted:

gundam is cool and also mega blunt about like, war stinking
and yet we’re still left with “Wow, Cool Robot!” cretins

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

this discussion is just reminding me of watching the ideon movie recently and im still loling at the line i posted before

even in context it makes 0 sense?? its incredible

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

NikkolasKing posted:

So having a voice say "and people died" does not make a show dark. MSG 0079 ends with magical space children and it's impossible to come away from the work feeling like "this is a very depressing work with a cynical view of the world." Never seen it but I guess you gotta watch Victory for that.

That is definitely one approach. Dunno if you play video games but my favorite Final Fantasy is also the one I consider the darkest. Final Fantasy X dumps you in a world pretty much devoid of hope save for the small glint of hope represented by your party. Death and despair equally saturate life in Spira and the writing and atmosphere are committed to this from the word go. That is why I consider it a dark game.

But of course there are multiple approaches, just like you can write a lighthearted work with a ton of death - Final Fantasy IX would be a great example of this.

Oh yeah I wouldn't say at all that's the only approach, I'm assuming we're mainly discussing how a "dark" work interacts and contextualizes character death. Like many Fromsoft games are pretty dark and bleak but character death doesn't really define why they are.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

NikkolasKing posted:

:lmao:

Nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

"Humans will get psychic powers to Understand one another" is not what I'd consider a complex or subtle take on how humans will evolve. Especially not compared to genetic engineering and cloning being abused by wealthy sociopaths, and the unfortunate victims of the engineering being ostracized by a by a scared public.

Which do you think is more likely to happen and is worth thinking about?

0079 walked so Zeta, War in the Pocket, etc could run.

for 1979, that show had some real oomph to it that most serialized anime TV shows did not.