Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Is there any requirement for the vents lead beyond just going to the things and opening the prize at the end? I've done a few dozen now, which seems like a lot compared to what I'm seeing other people say their experience was.

If it's just bad RNG that's fine, I'll get it eventually. Just asking in case there's something stupid I'm overlooking so I don't do a few dozen more before I realize it.
No, just crack the rock at the end and hope it's in there. It took me like 20 vents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Mozi posted:

They're also decreasing skill DPS in exchange for increasing uptime and saying on average it's more damage per cast, but that means if you're used to keeping things up all the time anyways it'll just be worse. Maybe more time for a heavy attack or something :shrug:

More spammable casts I guess. Will be curious to see what the dummy slayers parse after the changes.

Wonder what their target for player DPS is, 110? Lower?

Might be easier to sustain on tanks?

I'm intrigued by their goal but I doubt it's going to drag the lowest echelon of DPS up very far.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
It seems like, from just numbers plotting, hitting 100k will be much harder than it is on live, so perhaps 85k will be the new upper tier target, but we'll see. Right now DPS is the wild wild west, I am hitting 100k in 4 year old gear + on a magblade and magsorc, idk.

Also Floob is correct, the light attack weaving has been a think since pre-launch, and does make up a pretty sizable chunk of your dps. You still are going to light weave as much as now, as you simply will not be able to sustain even in parse food otherwise. It will be interesting to see what the dot changes are, certainly part of why I loved magblade and magsorc is the non dot focused rotations of yore (woe + path/cripple notwithstanding).

I don't understand why people get so fired up by light weaving that they have to rage about it being a bug. If you are not doing trials/harder 4 man content or solo arenas, or solo pvp, it doesn't really matter a whit if you weave or not. I'd say the majority of "overland questers" use acid spray as their sole dps if what I see on the reg in the wild counts for anything.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

No, just crack the rock at the end and hope it's in there. It took me like 20 vents.

Thanks, finally got there in 69.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

If you need help with the vents send in Thane.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Now Thane I can get into!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Mr Newsman posted:

I'm intrigued by their goal but I doubt it's going to drag the lowest echelon of DPS up very far.

This is correct. ZOS has constantly been bringing down the ceiling and they're near the point where the skill ceiling and skill floor are the same.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Got my Murkmire lead from the first safebox I tried, and the worldboss one from the first kill, so I guess I used up my bad luck on the vents. I'm a lovely player who wasn't swapping anyway, so I'm excited to be marginally less bad now with this thing and hope it doesn't get nerfed into the ground once they stop needing it to sell the new expansion.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Synthwave Crusader posted:

This is correct. ZOS has constantly been bringing down the ceiling and they're near the point where the skill ceiling and skill floor are the same.

This matches my experience with pugs 100% :rolleyes:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

it looks like oakensoul ring really forced the combat abacus guys to rethink the concept of uptime fundamentally

this looks like a pretty welcome change--the high end is getting a haircut from 100K to about uhhhh 90k realistically I don't think it's going to be much of a reduction at all in actual trials because uptime is going to get WAY EASIER. Whatever the new high water mark is will be straightforward to account for in trial content.

Meanwhile, if raising the floor a little bit means that more content can be made more challenging overall, holy poo poo yes please.

I'm not counting chickens before they hatch, but I see only good things for my beloved Total Shield Torment Tankplar

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m lazy and don’t care about group content or pvp so all of this sounds good to me :)

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

it looks like oakensoul ring really forced the combat abacus guys to rethink the concept of uptime fundamentally

this looks like a pretty welcome change--the high end is getting a haircut from 100K to about uhhhh 90k realistically I don't think it's going to be much of a reduction at all in actual trials because uptime is going to get WAY EASIER. Whatever the new high water mark is will be straightforward to account for in trial content.

Meanwhile, if raising the floor a little bit means that more content can be made more challenging overall, holy poo poo yes please.

I'm not counting chickens before they hatch, but I see only good things for my beloved Total Shield Torment Tankplar
Honest question - how does this raise the floor at all? From what I read, it'll be easier to keep your dots up all the time, but the floor isn't using dots, so no change there. And changes to light attacks won't affect the floor either, since the floor isn't weaving. It'll lower the dps ceiling, but I'm not seeing any changes that will raise the dps floor.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Thanks, finally got there in 69.

Nice

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

g0del posted:

Honest question - how does this raise the floor at all? From what I read, it'll be easier to keep your dots up all the time, but the floor isn't using dots, so no change there. And changes to light attacks won't affect the floor either, since the floor isn't weaving. It'll lower the dps ceiling, but I'm not seeing any changes that will raise the dps floor.

The floor and optimization of combat in this game is using dots and buff upkeep. Making that easier raises the floor.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

In my anecdotal opinion, the floor isn't using dots because it is hard for casual players to keep more than two going--before I push them toward guide and they finally give in and really try harder to play Juggle The Little Lights At The Bottom Of Your Screen While Ignoring The Scenery. It becomes frantic for those who didn't wire their brains for games in their teens. poo poo, I didn't build my ONE BUTTON MAN builds for fun, but necessity. I wanna listen to music, look at gorgeous landscape, chug beer, and figure out why the vase in the alleyway just asked me for help in the common tongue.

Obviously I can't guarantee unresolved things, but I'm really hopeful this will help. Trial runs are also going to see more movement or recovery fit into those 20 second uptimes, and that's honestly going to feel better too.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 7, 2022

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

MH Knights posted:

How important are dungeons to the story? Specifically I finally got around to finishing the Western Skyrim story but have not purchased the two dungeons the connect the Western Skyrim story to The Reach. Will I miss out on anything if I skip the dungeons and start the Reach story? I haven't purchased the last three or so dungeon packs because I couldn't justify paying $15-ish dollars for something I would only play through once.

Is there a free ESO+ weekend anytime soon?
ESO+ free week is now!

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

ESO+ free week is now!

Lol of course it is, since I finally gave in and bought a month. Of course it is.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Lol of course it is, since I finally gave in and bought a month. Of course it is.
Thank you for your sacrifice.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ort posted:

The floor and optimization of combat in this game is using dots and buff upkeep. Making that easier raises the floor.
Like potato said, I don't think the floor is using dots. And even for those who are, the dots are losing dps, they just don't need to be cast as often. The dot dps will really only go up for players who use dots sometimes and are bad at keeping them up. The really bad players aren't using dots at all, so no dps change for them. And any players already using dots semi-consistently will be losing dps because the longer uptime is being traded for lower damage per tick.

I'll wait to see how testing goes, but just from reading over the changes it looks like it won't really help anyone's DPS, but will hurt some players' DPS, and the more DPS you currently do, the bigger the nerf. Which is fine if you want to reign in the high-end DPS. As long as you make sure there's no content in the game that requires the now-nerfed high-end DPS.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

The DOT change for someone with perfect DOT upkeep and perfect weaving is a complete wash. It's the exact same theoretical dps for them, since they'd be replacing the DOT casts with spammables. Based one what they wrote (which is simplified and not actually what most rotations look like) 9 DoTs =9x1.5+1 spammable=14.5 spammable value over 10 seconds. With their change of doubling the duration you would get 9DoTs=9x2+11 spammables=29 over 20 seconds, so same per second value.

If instead people are using 6DoTs and 1 spammable with the other 3 skills being utility or execute or emergency something or other, a current rotation damage might look more like 6DoT, 3 spammable and 1 other, for 6x1.5+3=12 per 10 seconds, while now it would be 6*2+12=24 over 20 seconds, again, same damage per second. Replacing the extra DoT casts with a spammable in a perfect rotation changes nothing. But, the longer uptime means missing a cast is less harmful, so it diminishes the impact of imperfect timing.

What the DoT change does isn't nerf top overall damage, top overall damage isn't affected at all, it changes the relative value of DoTs and asks you to fill in the extra casts with spammables to maintain damage, or with other support or utility if you want that flexibility instead. Since no one is perfect weaving in content, the DoT change is probably a slight dps boost for top players in actual content. I do agree it's not doing anything for the floor that doesn't use DoTs.

The above is just the theoretical base from which ZOS is working. The reality is that a lot of skills are over or underpowered because they include some extra bonus or drawback which ZOS assigns a value to that may not reflect how players view it. So this change will give theorycrafters room to find those gaps like weaving blastbones in between DoT casts because ZOS gives it extra damage because of the delay that can be worked around more easily with more available casts. It's the same thing that happens with sets, sets are balanced on paper, but some contain bonuses no one wants while others contain drawbacks no one cares about.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Paying for ESO+ is worth it just to continue to activate my brain's dopamine response to looting every single crate and barrel I see. That's one thing this game gets right, b'gawd.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
As someone who is basically all DOTs, and who uses a heavy attack instead of weaving lights, I can't tell if this going to help me or completely cripple my build. I mean, at the very least it should make life easier if I'm not trying to manage six spells on a 6 to 10 second cooldown each. I guess I'll wait and see.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I'm curious if this will just means fights will be extended in length if skills do lesser over a longer time.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Mozi posted:

Paying for ESO+ is worth it just to continue to activate my brain's dopamine response to looting every single crate and barrel I see. That's one thing this game gets right, b'gawd.

Too true. Picturesque fruits and coins pouring endlessly in front of my enraptured id. Like most hyper-efficient predators, the slot machine has evolved very little.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

1glitch0 posted:

I'm curious if this will just means fights will be extended in length if skills do lesser over a longer time.
The DoT time thing? Not for most fights, and not in a meaningful way. Trash fights don't rely on DoTs, they rely on instant AoE like jabs or cleave or arrow spray or pulsar, etc. Maybe they'll take an extra second, but it's not any more time waste than that lone archer that stayed outside the aoe that you have to kill separately. Boss fights almost always last at least 15 seconds, and the total damage isn't reduced, just the distribution is evened out.

If we take this example: 6DoT, 3 spammable and 1 other every 10 seconds, compared to the new 6 DoT 12 spammable and 2 other every 20 seconds
The new surpasses the old at the 14 second mark. The old overtakes from the 23 to 33 second mark after which the new overtakes again and then they keep alternating. There's an 11 second window where the old rotation does more damage, and a 9 second window where the new one does more damage.

So a standard build made how ZOS expects a dps to be constructed will have the same overall power, but with a slightly different curve over time. I expect once you throw in executes the new curve is actually stronger overall. If your rotation is more creative than the above then what will happen is a mystery.

The light attack change is intended to extend fights, yeah.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
Reading into this some more, and actually the bigger deal overall isn't going to be end game DPS, it is going to be for supports. HOTs are getting the same duration buff as DOTs, however (if I am reading dumb dumb Gilliam the Rogue's notes correctly) they also are losing their over all potency per tick, and that is a much more concerning issue (for end game trials only). Having just gotten back to healing DLC vtrials stuff, I am not looking forward to, say HM vSS or vRG (to say nothing of Dread Sail) with these changes. Alas.

It also seems like more over all they are gonna try and cram a poo poo tone of changes as a "rip off the bandaid" situation in terms of class and weapon skill re balancing, which sounds pretty typical for Zenimax.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'm a little worried how its going to effect my no pet sorc.

My build is all about buffing light attacks. between low mag for bahsei buff, ele weapon spammable, bound armaments as bar buff, and extra LA dmg vs targets standing in my maelstrom wall.

Including wall, I use like 3 actual dots total. So if light attacks get "standardized" or whatever they want to call this nerf, I think my already aggressively average dps might be really hosed here.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Error 404 posted:

I'm a little worried how its going to effect my no pet sorc.

My build is all about buffing light attacks. between low mag for bahsei buff, ele weapon spammable, bound armaments as bar buff, and extra LA dmg vs targets standing in my maelstrom wall.

Including wall, I use like 3 actual dots total. So if light attacks get "standardized" or whatever they want to call this nerf, I think my already aggressively average dps might be really hosed here.

Things like ele weapon and bound armaments won’t be affected at all, they are separate attacks that don’t affect light attack damage itself.

Graelorn
Mar 1, 2014
Looking for an invite to the Goon guild. ESO Account name: graelorn

Invite received!

TY

Graelorn fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 9, 2022

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Can someone send me a goon guild invite on NA? @Wuxmus

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Is the Greymoor expansion any good? I guess I am a sucker for Skyrim.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

dialhforhero posted:

I enjoyed it. The primary reason to get it is that Greymoor has the antiquities system, which adds a fun (if repetitive) extra layer of treasure-hunting to all the other zones that came out before and since, so that's neat. And it's necessary to access all the mythic equipment, too.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just did the prologue quest from Blackwood, A Mortal’s Touch, and now I don’t know what I’m supposed to do. It ended in grahtwood with a wood elf saying she’d be in touch. Should I just start taking quests in Leyawiin and assume it’ll continue later?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Snowy posted:

I just did the prologue quest from Blackwood, A Mortal’s Touch, and now I don’t know what I’m supposed to do. It ended in grahtwood with a wood elf saying she’d be in touch. Should I just start taking quests in Leyawiin and assume it’ll continue later?

Yep, just go to Leyawiin.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

dialhforhero posted:

It and the Reach have access to Blackreach, which is an excellent underground MMO zone.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Is Greymoor worth the price, then? Or just wait for a sale?

I don’t have High Isle so considering if I should get that “full version” or not.

I have the other areas.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Doctor Zero posted:

Yep, just go to Leyawiin.

Ok cool thanks. She said something about there being more work with her in Riften but the quest just ended and there was no indication of what to do next. Seemed like an odd way to do a prologue for Blackwood.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I couldn't stand Eveli Sharp-arrow. I can't be alone in this

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

That seems to happen a lot with the prologue stuff, because they release it before the actual expansion content as a "teaser," which means there literally is no next step at the time when they first make the quest. The next step is yet-unreleased content. So the breadcrumb trail tends to dead-end, but when you start up the expansion itself, it does tend to add a little context to that story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I finally got to Craglorn and the main quest is bugged on PS and Xbox. I guess it was bugged on PC also but it was fixed in the last patch. So THAT sucks!