Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Booky posted:

amuro and char smoochin is better zeta-on tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEzte98sl9M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Re: Madoka and Magical Girl stuff, Madoka isn't notable because of its grimdarkness or tending to the dramatic, those type of things have been a staple of the genre since forever. What sets it apart, at least for me, is it taking a holistic examination of the very idea of a magical girl, taking constituent genre staples and recontextualizing them into a greater whole that paints a much darker picture than you'd otherwise expect. Stuff like how Madoka and her associates are mere cogs in an entire self-sustaining system spanning the far reaches of time and space, the relationship between magical girls and the witches they fight twisting the familiar Monster-of-the-Week formula into something that's unsettling yet plausible, and the idea of strong emotions as a form of energy taken to its logical extreme. Kyubey ends up being a perfect antagonist in this respect, being a direct foil to the idea of emotions as power by instead being cold and logical to a ruthless degree.

I'm not speaking as to its quality in respects to other pillars of the genre, just that the grimdark elements of the story are more the result of the approach the story was taking to adapting the genre as a whole, not the driving force behind the story itself. Of note is that the original Madoka anime ends on a triumphant note and even the controversially dour ending to Rebellion reads more as a fervent Call to Action than as an expression of despondency and hopelessness. Time will tell how the next movie goes.

Naturally, the tone of the work and the way in which is challenges the genre's fabric head on is what makes it appealing to many, even (perhaps, especially) to those who are passionate about the Magical Girl genre as a whole. That's why I think it's reductive to just say that "Sailor Moon and other shows had dark elements too, it's nothing new."

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1m3tEj2JzI

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Amuroooo~

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I waa goofing around earlier about Bakemonogatari, but I think it will be the next show I check out for real

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Covok posted:

What the actual gently caress?

She took the breakup poorly? I don't go looking, I just hear stories every once in a while, "hey did you hear what so-and-so did". It's just that the answer to that question leans more on "keeps trying to recruit a harem of younger and younger women who need to learn about the prophet Homura and how wickedness is the true path".

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Completely unrelated to absolutely everything, what's Piccolo eating in your avatar?

Also, welcome back Endorph. We need all the posters that constantly have Jimmy Neutron brain blasts that we can get.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
sailor moon is about as good as 200 episode monster of the week anime gets, btw. well worth the watch

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A whole monster every week?! What a bargain!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

welcome back we really missed you

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Does Ball Family count as Monster of the Week if they show up in 3 separate weeks?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
do you stop being a family when you are apart

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Does Ball Family count as Monster of the Week if they show up in 3 separate weeks?

monster of a fortnight and a half

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

they are separate yet together

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I can sorta of see why TTRPG's would be into Madoka as a game besides being into Dark setting as having players try to work the whole Greif Seed/Witch dynamic would seem like it'd lead to some potentially interesting mechanics

Though Nanoha and Symphogear would 100% better settings

The world would be a better place with more Symphogear in general.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rhett Butler deserved an honorable mention imho.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Sneaker girl is clearly the GOAT.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

the boxing priest was pretty good

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Welcome back!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I just binged through about 250 posts in this thread and now I'm that much closer to maybe actually watching a gundam series.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Start with Build Fighters.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Start with Build Fighters.

:hai:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think Wing on Toonami was the first anime I was really into. I should revist that show at some point.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i started mechaing with seeing like 2 clips of wing gundam, watching all of g gundam (recommended), and then reading a srw z lp

what im saying here is g is a good place to start

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

sb hermit posted:

I just binged through about 250 posts in this thread and now I'm that much closer to maybe actually watching a gundam series.

The real question is if you are going to start with Universal Century or all the others. I was so confused and lost at first with all the timeline and shows but it ain't so bad.

There's no real reason to start with UC (original Mobile Suit Gundam aka Gundam 0079, Zeta, etc.) - I myself started with G Gundam, but that's kinda setting you up for a fall as it's nothing like the others. Also I watched it years before I saw any other Gundam. I guess Iron-Blooded Orphans is supposed to be really good and probably a fine intro to the series but never seen it.

I'll just speak for my generation and say start with Wing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzHlEWeXXrg

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i like tomino more than gundam

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

NikkolasKing posted:

The real question is if you are going to start with Universal Century or all the others. I was so confused and lost at first with all the timeline and shows but it ain't so bad.

There's no real reason to start with UC (original Mobile Suit Gundam aka Gundam 0079, Zeta, etc.) - I myself started with G Gundam, but that's kinda setting you up for a fall as it's nothing like the others. Also I watched it years before I saw any other Gundam. I guess Iron-Blooded Orphans is supposed to be really good and probably a fine intro to the series but never seen it.

I'll just speak for my generation and say start with Wing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzHlEWeXXrg

I'll consider it but you don't sound confident in your recommendation

dogsicle posted:

i like tomino more than gundam

I have overman king gainer on dvd (yes, all of it, although some is used and might not be playable) so maybe I'll finish watching that first

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

here's a reason to start with Universal Century: Gundam '79 is really good

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like how Crunchyroll has Bakemonogatari only in 480p and there's an Aniplex watermark the entire time

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Booky posted:

i started mechaing with seeing like 2 clips of wing gundam, watching all of g gundam (recommended), and then reading a srw z lp

what im saying here is g is a good place to start

Elephant Parade posted:

here's a reason to start with Universal Century: Gundam '79 is really good

Turns out US netflix has a lot of gundam so I'll pick up something from there

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Roth posted:

I like how Crunchyroll has Bakemonogatari only in 480p and there's an Aniplex watermark the entire time

are they still missing episodes 13-15 as well?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Tales of Woe posted:

are they still missing episodes 13-15 as well?

Only goes up to episode 12 it looks like

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

God drat I hate vtubers who's with me, eh? Fuckin' vtubers no one likes those guys.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Completely unrelated to absolutely everything, what's Piccolo eating in your avatar?

Also, welcome back Endorph. We need all the posters that constantly have Jimmy Neutron brain blasts that we can get.

hes rolling a blunt op

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

sb hermit posted:

Turns out US netflix has a lot of gundam so I'll pick up something from there

Start with either the Gundam movie trilogy or IBO if you do this. Iron Blooded Orphans is a standalone series but the rest of the films and OVAs on Netflix are in continuity with each other and reference each other.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Really most every Gundam has at least something interesting to it, except for AGE

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Arc Hammer posted:

Start with either the Gundam movie trilogy or IBO if you do this. Iron Blooded Orphans is a standalone series but the rest of the films and OVAs on Netflix are in continuity with each other and reference each other.

ibo sounds interesting. it's a toss up between that and hathaway

hey look, netflix has stuff from the fate series too, hmm I am not planning on watching any of it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the only interesting thing about seed is the music, which you can listen to without watching a 50 episode show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Endorph posted:

gently caress your robots son, dad's got 5000 yen on the hanshin tigers.
:hai:

Endorph posted:

an extremely important note also is that the cult fanbase it garnered was mostly adult women who wanted amuro and char to make out.
:haibrow: