Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Tayter Swift posted:

I'm outing myself here, but any idea why xCloud supports iOS but not macOS?

It supports both via browser, but neither have native apps due to the app store taking a cut of any revenue generated from an app.

I've used my iphone and my kid plays subnautica on a mac via xcloud, works surprisingly well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Does going to Xbox.com/play not work? I remember playing games just fine on macOS Safari.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Lammasu posted:

Any suggestions for easy achievments? I've gotten all the non grinding ones in Paw Patrol and I need three for the weekly rewards set.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1544411685863075841?s=20&t=B4czAVUCKeO_ZRGW-Y49Cw

E: I think I see now that you were asking about Game Pass achievement quests, but hey, still probably the easiest 1000G you'll come across

E2: I played Subnautica earlier and you get an achievement for just diving into the water

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 7, 2022

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Lammasu posted:

Any suggestions for easy achievments? I've gotten all the non grinding ones in Paw Patrol and I need three for the weekly rewards set.

I got 3 in that Eiyuden Chronicles game in about an hour. I needed to get a cheevo from there for the top ten quest.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Seltzer posted:

I've always maintained the haptics and VR hype is massively overstated. I cynically believe the controller haptics was developed in part to use in marketing to convince people how "next gen" the PS5 is when both systems are really very similar and not huge upgrades over the last generation (especially the midgen consoles). Don't get me wrong the series X is a great step up from my one but there's less wow factor going from generation to generation now and the haptics and secret hyper SSD talk always seemed like Blast Processing type stuff to move units. I imagine the haptics get used for 1st party games and then slightly for 3rd party games where its easy (shooters, racers). I haven't used a ps5 controller myself but I can't see haptics being the big game changer it is marketed as. As for VR I have zero desire to own one even if I had the hardware for it and I enjoy games where it would theoretically be cool (flight sim hitman etc). I'm sure its fun to try for a few minutes but I would never shell out the cash for one or use it much if I had it. Not a single person I know who plays games wants or has one either. I need to try the ps5 controller before I can speak with authority but Quick Resume, how MS handles cloud saves over generations, and Smart Delivery are cooler to me than a controller that massages fingers .

If a game is cross platform, I'd get the PS5 version for haptics. When they are used right, they def make games more immersive.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

American McGay posted:

Does going to Xbox.com/play not work? I remember playing games just fine on macOS Safari.

Sorry, I meant the remote play from your own xbox.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Oh yeah that’s really slick actually. I use that sometimes when I want to free up the TV but I just use my phone. Like having a Switch but with Xbox games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I have a PS5 and the number of times Haptics have impressed me on this controller rather than mildly irritated me is 0 at the moment. The rain noise and feeling from astrobot makes me physically repelled from the controller.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

the haptics on cyberpunk are hilariously anaemic and loud. wow it’s really like my fingers are pulling on a trigger on a gun filled with sand, just like how a car feels (?)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I always feel like I’m gonna break the dualsense triggers. But that may just be sixaxis fueled ptsd

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

hatty posted:

I always feel like I’m gonna break the dualsense triggers. But that may just be sixaxis fueled ptsd

You just nailed my concern about DualSense. I really love the triggers, but I play hard and have broken so many controllers by throwing the sticks back and forth with gusto (thanks Trials) that I am convinced I will grind out the trigger gears or motors any day since I started using it.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Lammasu posted:

In Townscaper I got 1000 GS in about 30min.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Barudak posted:

I have a PS5 and the number of times Haptics have impressed me on this controller rather than mildly irritated me is 0 at the moment. The rain noise and feeling from astrobot makes me physically repelled from the controller.

I’m sorry your brain is broken

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I play a lot of FPS and I wish the Xbox had native gyro support at the OS level that just mapped to the sticks.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

priznat posted:

It supports both via browser, but neither have native apps due to the app store taking a cut of any revenue generated from an app.
I believe a lot of it was also that Apple wanted every game on XCloud to have its own unique iOS app so that they'd have their own age rating data and such, with a core XCloud app just pointing people at those like the Netflix app does for their own games.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Apple hate gaming that isn’t Apple Arcade. This been known.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I've played through the entire Avatar TLA TBE game and it's actually a pretty good game. It follows the first 2-3 seasons of the tv show pretty closely. I was hesitant on playing it since I haven't finished the show, but thankfully it didn't cover the entire 4 seasons.

Townscaper, Tracks: The Train Set Game and Energy Cycle are very quick for achievements. I'm not sure if the latter is on GP.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The avatar game seems like it’d be a black mark on your profile showing whoever looks closely at it that you’re an achievement fiend

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

There's no doubt about that even to a casual observer.. I have 263k gamerscore :D

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I play a lot of FPS and I wish the Xbox had native gyro support at the OS level that just mapped to the sticks.

It does have native gyro support: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/gdk/_content/gc/reference/input/gameinput/structs/gameinputmotionstate . I don't think anyone is using it, but the plumbing is there whenever someone wants to.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:aaaaa:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just woke up down under and watched the Skull and Bones re-reveal. I'm a sucker for bad Ubisoft games but wow is that a bad looking game, especially after so many years.

I just finished AC Rogue Remastered, which is 4k/60 on Series X, and it was more appealing and with comparable visuals.

Bold of them to not base the game at least close to the USA though (Indian ocean). Developers are usually too scared to alienate US audiences.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Don’t worry about skull and bones, that game is toast

i don’t know this for a fact but it is

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Turnip boy commits tax evasion gives you a few achievements pretty quickly. One within the first few seconds of starting the game.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Tsietisin posted:

Turnip boy commits tax evasion gives you a few achievements pretty quickly. One within the first few seconds of starting the game.

That's a fun game. I'm at the end boss and one day I'll go back and beat him.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Did anyone try Last Call BBS on PC Gamepass? It goes too far with the retro aesthetic, with loading a game taking 3+ minutes because it is fake downloading it over a modem. I didn’t wait for the “download” to complete.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

why is the mediocre avengers game over 200 GB?!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Mediocre compression

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Lifespan posted:

It does have native gyro support: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/gdk/_content/gc/reference/input/gameinput/structs/gameinputmotionstate . I don't think anyone is using it, but the plumbing is there whenever someone wants to.

How long has this been the case? Is it left over functionality from potential Oculus support ?

I just want to know that my monthly tweets and feedback post to Xbox regarding gyro or being heard lol

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 8, 2022

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

bushisms.txt posted:

How long has this been the case? Is it left over functionality from potential Oculus support ?

I just want to know that my monthly tweets and feedback post to Xbox regarding gyro or being heard lol

It has been part of the Game Development Kit from the beginning. I believe it is in there as a way of future proofing the API (it supports pretty much everything).

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

why is the mediocre avengers game over 200 GB?!

It has an immense amount of unique art and levels and VO that stops a few hours in for the grind.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

priznat posted:

Did anyone try Last Call BBS on PC Gamepass? It goes too far with the retro aesthetic, with loading a game taking 3+ minutes because it is fake downloading it over a modem. I didn’t wait for the “download” to complete.

yeah it owns. Just play solitaire while you wait for the download to finish

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

ixnay posted:

yeah it owns. Just play solitaire while you wait for the download to finish

Which game(s) are the good uns?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
In Last Call BBS I'm stuck on that Dungeons and Diagrams "The Graveyard of the Vernal King".

Right off the bat it doesn't make any sense to me because it's not possible to place the lich at the end of a hall. I know I have the treasure room placed correctly, but that's about it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

priznat posted:

Filtered lol.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

American McGay posted:

Filtered lol.

I lived that poo poo with 2400baud modem! They just need to have a random person picking up a handset on the line and loving it up at 97%

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Just woke up down under and watched the Skull and Bones re-reveal. I'm a sucker for bad Ubisoft games but wow is that a bad looking game, especially after so many years.

I just finished AC Rogue Remastered, which is 4k/60 on Series X, and it was more appealing and with comparable visuals.

Bold of them to not base the game at least close to the USA though (Indian ocean). Developers are usually too scared to alienate US audiences.

Yeah it looks like they've cut alot of corners. Like the resource gathering without even leaving the ship and it looked like a bunch of things you can do gameplay-wise in Sea of Thieves are replaced by menus or cutscenes in this game...

The ship customisations make it look better suited for the Warhammer Fantasy (Man O' War) universe too. :v:

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

priznat posted:

I lived that poo poo with 2400baud modem! They just need to have a random person picking up a handset on the line and loving it up at 97%

Old person high five! I remember spending an hour downloading a 1mb file with a 2400 baud. I wish it on no one, but it goes make me appreciate when I download a AAA game in minutes.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

priznat posted:

Launch one game after you start downloading the next and you'll never have to wait after the first download. Solitaire is there to fill out the aesthetic, dungeon theme minesweeper is cool, I played 20th century food court for four hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lifespan posted:

Old person high five! I remember spending an hour downloading a 1mb file with a 2400 baud. I wish it on no one, but it goes make me appreciate when I download a AAA game in minutes.

Yeah it's like magic having a Gbit connection. I remember getting the first cable modem (after going 2400 -> 14.4k -> 57.6k) and being just like whoaaaaaa

It's funny though even though I have unlimited I still l question if I need to try out a new game pass game if it is over 20GB or so. I'm like data thrifty.