Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Free Cog
Feb 27, 2011

hyphz posted:

Interesting find on Twitch. The OG AW 2nd Ed is in the Bundle for Abortion Funds. The description is "There's something wrong with the world and I don't know what it is," which I don't remember being the tagline for AW?

It is the tagline! I have a physical copy of the 1e book and it's the first thing on the back cover, though that version is "Something's wrong with the world and I don't know what it is."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

hyphz posted:

Interesting find on Twitch. The OG AW 2nd Ed is in the Bundle for Abortion Funds. The description is "There's something wrong with the world and I don't know what it is," which I don't remember being the tagline for AW?

There's maelstrom in the sky

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Free Cog posted:

It is the tagline! I have a physical copy of the 1e book and it's the first thing on the back cover, though that version is "Something's wrong with the world and I don't know what it is."

drat if that ain't a mood

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Free Cog posted:

Nah, it's an Aerosmith song.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I actually thought it was the tagline for Glitch.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

hyphz posted:

had a quick look at the playbooks (or whatever they're called) and yikes, it seems like it encourages a lot of sex with PCs and NPCs. not quite what i think of when i think "post-apocalyptic world"

might still be worth it for learning how to run a PBtA game, but it certainly doesn't sound like it's up my personal alley

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

redleader posted:

had a quick look at the playbooks (or whatever they're called) and yikes, it seems like it encourages a lot of sex with PCs and NPCs. not quite what i think of when i think "post-apocalyptic world"

Sex has a very big place in post-apocalyptic fiction and media, always has and still does (Fury Road is about more than exploding cars) and pbta games are very much about evoking the source material with rules, not just setting.

Some people do play the game just ignoring those rules though.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 7, 2022

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I've almost never used the sex moves but it's good they exist.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tulip posted:

I've almost never used the sex moves but it's good they exist.
same but let's go back to talking about games

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

thotsky posted:

Sex has a very big place in post-apocalyptic fiction and media, always has and still does (Fury Road is about more than exploding cars) and pbta games are very much about evoking the source material with rules, not just setting.

Some people do play the game just ignoring those rules though.

fair call. i am very dense though and bad at subtext (and forget text very quickly)

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Yeah, you can play AW for years and never see anyone use a sex move and ignoring them doesn't hurt the game experience at all. However, if you think they're a dealbreaker for you or your group, look into AW: Burned Over which is a redesigned hack by the original designers and authors. 'No sex moves, a more reigned-in take on violence, less adult horror in the grotesquerie.'

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

thotsky posted:

Fury Road is probably my favourite movie about a victim of sexual assault dealing with that trauma and regaining the confidence to open themselves up to intimacy despite the brutality and unkindness of the world they live in.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

redleader posted:

might still be worth it for learning how to run a PBtA game, but it certainly doesn't sound like it's up my personal alley
Getting up your personal alley requires 10+ with Hot

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Scratch out sex move and write in intimate moments. Doesn't rule out sex, and includes people who are finally ready to share secrets. The bit in Snowpiercer where they finally talk about cannibalism definitely counts.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, you can replace "have sex" with "demonstrate real emotional intimacy or vulnerability to another person" and it works fine, since that's really the point of the moves. You can also play AW where nobody ever triggers the moves and the game will still play well.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, you can replace "have sex" with "demonstrate real emotional intimacy or vulnerability to another person" and it works fine, since that's really the point of the moves. You can also play AW where nobody ever triggers the moves and the game will still play well.

Flying Circus (which I am finally back to reviewing over in the FATAL & Friends thread after a year-long hiatus!) does exactly this, and also not-coincidentally makes the game far more welcoming to ace and aro characters.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

redleader posted:

It's been discussed before, but sex moves are one of the biggest signs that Vincent Baker is much more of an indie RPG weirdo than most of the people who went on to make games with its system. Hence, why they've been iterated into something that's much more playable if you aren't in the kind of group that can comfortably go "logically, if this was a piece of non-corporate post-apocalyptic media, this is when things would fade to black while these characters had sex". Both in the direct evolution on making them about moments of emotional intimacy, and with things like Masks' "when you share a triumphant celebration with your team, X" moves for each playbook.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

GimpInBlack posted:

Flying Circus (which I am finally back to reviewing over in the FATAL & Friends thread after a year-long hiatus!) does exactly this, and also not-coincidentally makes the game far more welcoming to ace and aro characters.

The snippets you keep posting are giving me the opposite impression tbh

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Farting Circus

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Lurks With Wolves posted:

It's been discussed before, but sex moves are one of the biggest signs that Vincent Baker is much more of an indie RPG weirdo than most of the people who went on to make games with its system. Hence, why they've been iterated into something that's much more playable if you aren't in the kind of group that can comfortably go "logically, if this was a piece of non-corporate post-apocalyptic media, this is when things would fade to black while these characters had sex". Both in the direct evolution on making them about moments of emotional intimacy, and with things like Masks' "when you share a triumphant celebration with your team, X" moves for each playbook.

My hypothesis is that the sex moves are not really Vincent's contribution but Meguey's. Partially this is based on Vincent himself saying that he finds sex at the table to be uncomfortable and that he's unwilling to RP sex with other players, but also by comparing writing credits - consider Mobile Frame Zero: Rapid Attack which has Vincent but no Meguey writing to Mobile Frame Zero: Firebrands, where Meguey has primary writing credits. And for all the blatant transgressiveness of Poison'd, sex plays a very minor role in it.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Tulip posted:

My hypothesis is that the sex moves are not really Vincent's contribution but Meguey's. Partially this is based on Vincent himself saying that he finds sex at the table to be uncomfortable and that he's unwilling to RP sex with other players, but also by comparing writing credits - consider Mobile Frame Zero: Rapid Attack which has Vincent but no Meguey writing to Mobile Frame Zero: Firebrands, where Meguey has primary writing credits. And for all the blatant transgressiveness of Poison'd, sex plays a very minor role in it.

Not necessarily saying you're wrong, but Psi*Run is entirely credited to Meguey Baker and has no sex mechanics or really sexual content at all. Just as another data point.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Tulip posted:

I also just forget that Apocalypse World was actually written by a writing team and not just one person. I do stand by the idea that we've collectively forgotten how weird and indie Apocalypse World is until the sex move conversation restarts, though.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

GimpInBlack posted:

Not necessarily saying you're wrong, but Psi*Run is entirely credited to Meguey Baker and has no sex mechanics or really sexual content at all. Just as another data point.

for sure, and there's also no explicit sex in 1001 night (to be clear i don't have psi*run so wasn't able to check, nor do i have the girls' school game that sounds cool). i don't think she feels compelled to write about it (she's pretty clearly compelled by subaltern themes), but i do think she's more comfortable with it than her husband

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I also just forget that Apocalypse World was actually written by a writing team and not just one person. I do stand by the idea that we've collectively forgotten how weird and indie Apocalypse World is until the sex move conversation restarts, though.

that's fair, though i think that's more an indictment of our culture (and a stronger mark again in AW's favor) than anything else

e and yeah people do tend to forget its a team, so i tend to like to remind people b/c well collaboration is important and its not great that it seems like its always her that is forgotten rather than him

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Tulip posted:

The group I'm in (which includes BlackIronHeart) has played many, many campaigns of AW by now, and while dozens of characters have used sex moves, we have never, ever role-played the sex. The GM might ask a question or ask for a Seduce roll to determine if sex is what's going to happen, but once we establish that it is indeed sex and not just flirting or hanging out, we just skip ahead.

I admit that in my youth I was in other campaigns with other gaming groups where different choices were made. In my 20s, I was a lot more into talking about sex. I'm a couple decades older now and just don't think I have much to say about sex that hasn't already been said. :)

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
What does it say about the hobby to be comfortable role-playing a wandering serial killer in every RPG but the idea of your post apocalyptic Hell person making an emotional and physical connection even though you don't have describe it past "you did it" gets everyone shy and apologetic?

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business

Leraika posted:

The snippets you keep posting are giving me the opposite impression tbh

you know, i'd have figured it too, but somehow flying circus has a solid ace contingent on the discord and stuff

not, like, a problem, but certainly not what i was expecting when i was putting all the kinks into it

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Ominous Jazz posted:

What does it say about the hobby to be comfortable role-playing a wandering serial killer in every RPG but the idea of your post apocalyptic Hell person making an emotional and physical connection even though you don't have describe it past "you did it" gets everyone shy and apologetic?

I play with one regular group so this isn't as big an issue, but: people are generally pretty good about boundaries with violence in collaborative fiction and not crossing them. People are generally really bad about boundaries with sex stuff and there are way too many horror stories about it. So I view the two differently based on that. (When we were doing AW we did change sex moves to "moment of intimacy" or whatever phrasing we used. Never got far enough to actually use them though.)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

open_sketchbook posted:

you know, i'd have figured it too, but somehow flying circus has a solid ace contingent on the discord and stuff

not, like, a problem, but certainly not what i was expecting when i was putting all the kinks into it

Congratulations on appealing to all the demographics! I do need to snag a copy and read through myself (though I suspect it will be too crunchy for me).

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Roleplayed sexual intimacy is exposing and can easily involve having to becoming emotionally vulnerable and face peer judgement of extremely personal matters. Playing a serial killer, vernacularly, doesn’t really do that: it’s a power fantasy.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Ominous Jazz posted:

Because everyone knows I'm not really going to stab my table buddy. I'm certainly not going to fireball them.

For the record, the only time the sex moves (or "special moves" in 2nd Ed) came up in the AW games I played was as bad puns (like, about some NPCs, "You might say they're friends with special moves?")

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

hyphz posted:

Because everyone knows I'm not really going to stab my table buddy. I'm certainly not going to fireball them.

But you might gently caress them and so you don't want to roleplay that out beforehand?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's because sex is lame and for nerds, OP.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ominous Jazz posted:

Others have said several solid reasons which I won't reiterate so here are a couple of lesser hits:

* If you are at a table with your personal significant other, having your character explicitly engage in intimacy like that may lead to social tension and awkwardness later which Bhikku Apocalypse World Writing Team doesn't have to deal with, and you do
* Classing it as sex move vs. intimacy move would tend to take it off the table for people whose character, for whatever reason, is not particularly sexual. Like "Well my guy is basically Darkman and as such," or "I am a Monk of the Apocalypse and swore a vow to Never gently caress" etc.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ominous Jazz posted:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I will say that if I can ever get my friends to play Firebrands again, I'd reskin Stealing Time Together as gently caress It Dude Lets Go Bowling.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

redleader posted:

The bundle also contains "burned over" which is their rebuilt playbooks that don't contain any sex moves.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

There is absolutely no way I will ever roleplay any kind of sexual intimacy with my group that consists of a bunch awkward engineers

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The only requirement to use a sex move is for the sex to also actually happen in the narrative. You don't have to roleplay anything.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Ominous Jazz posted:

That's more of an issue with the society we all we raised and live in rather than an RPG-specific problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Also I can have sex in real life, so playing sexual characters seems redundant. I don't roleplay bowling, mowing or spreadsheeting either.