Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Razakai posted:

The power bonuses granted aren't huge, but it feels restrictive to gate potentially interesting builds behind it, as by the time you actually unlock the stuff you'll probably be sick of it.

I'm already getting there, lol. Thinking about picking up the extra levels to keep things interesting , have you tried them? I do enjoy the game but a good run seems so dependent on getting the cards you need. It sucks starting from the beginning and having to go through all the same dialog checks for the little bonus along the way, too, especially when the goddamn dialog choices are able to be accidentally tapped before the text is on the screen. I've accidentally skipped quite a few upgrades too post-combat because the "proceed to next window" button changes into the "skip all upgrades" button and doesn't bother to ask you to confirm after you press it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

explosivo posted:

I'm already getting there, lol. Thinking about picking up the extra levels to keep things interesting , have you tried them? I do enjoy the game but a good run seems so dependent on getting the cards you need. It sucks starting from the beginning and having to go through all the same dialog checks for the little bonus along the way, too, especially when the goddamn dialog choices are able to be accidentally tapped before the text is on the screen. I've accidentally skipped quite a few upgrades too post-combat because the "proceed to next window" button changes into the "skip all upgrades" button and doesn't bother to ask you to confirm after you press it.

The new levels are fairly interesting. Still have the same problem of difficulty skew meaning you can annihilate the enemies before their gimmicks enter play but there's some variety at least from not seeing the same places over and over.
The developers seem to be aware as quite a few new enemies exist to counter the usual strategy - e.g. 2 mob types in Twilight Grove (alternate to the bandit woods) have damage taken capped at 1, which increases by 1 each time it triggers. Makes alpha striking them down way harder. Likewise the boss for alternate The Deep heals for a massive amount every X cards played, which does slow down "mindlessly throw out entire hand" a bit.

Another fun build I just tried - armor warrior. Pretty much Arcanist tier but requires a bit of luck. You're looking for Batter Up, Bash, the enchantment that does your armor damage at end of turn, a couple of good armor cards and then as many card/energy draw sources as possible. I got very lucky and got the talents that let you retain armor at end of turn + 2 tower shields. Deep wound works very well in this for an alternative wincon plus energy/card draw from the flow/finale deep wound cards.
Make sure to stick Reliable on your Muscle Memory and Rallying Shout cards if you get the shrine. Barbarism is a good enchantment for keeping your health up too.
By the end of the game I'd just cycle armor and draw a few times, gain 100 armor, Batter Up to inflict 100 fragile then Bash them for enough damage to one shot the final boss. Or cycle 5 deep wounds in a turn and instantly kill them. Any damage taken from first strike etc was healed back from health orbs.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Smh at the casuals who just respawn after dying in Sekiro instead of starting from the beginning of the game like the developers intended.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ninjas are a lot like rogues

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Snake Maze posted:

Smh at the casuals who just respawn after dying in Sekiro instead of starting from the beginning of the game like the developers intended.
This only counts if you also use an item/enemy randomizer. Poser. :colbert:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Roguelikes are hard
Dark Souls is hard
Dark Souls is a roguelike

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Batman rogue like where?

Or I guess super hero rogue?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I always wanted to make a Die Hard roguelike, where you’re trapped in a skyscraper and need to take down 10 or 20 terrorists through clever use of traps and found equipment

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Any tips for Golden Krone Hotel? Been a bit unsure how not to die like 4-5 floors in or what classes are good

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

nrook posted:

I always wanted to make a Die Hard roguelike, where you’re trapped in a skyscraper and need to take down 10 or 20 terrorists through clever use of traps and found equipment

That'd be a good theme! Seems perfect for a 7DRL in terms of scope

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

nrook posted:

Independent of any setting, I think a roguelike where there are only 10 enemies across the entire game is a neat idea. Like it's a kung-fu master and his 9 students holed up in a monastery and you show up to kill them all. Maybe beating one lets you learn their signature technique, Mega Man style, and to be successful you need to figure out the best order to take them down in to exploit their weaknesses.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

goferchan posted:

Independent of any setting, I think a roguelike where there are only 10 enemies across the entire game is a neat idea. Like it's a kung-fu master and his 9 students holed up in a monastery and you show up to kill them all. Maybe beating one lets you learn their signature technique, Mega Man style, and to be successful you need to figure out the best order to take them down in to exploit their weaknesses.

This is just Tactical Nexus again!!!!!

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

goferchan posted:

This idea reminds me somewhat of Kengo

mostly the fight 10 students and 1 master + learning movesets part, really

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

goferchan posted:

Slasher movie roguelike. One enemy, multiple expendable characters. Randomize the rules for how the killer works, try to figure it out before you run out of victims.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

This is just Tactical Nexus again!!!!!

Lol that honestly came to mind when making the post. In my mind there would be a large pool of possible enemies that your foes would be randomly drawn from each run, so it wouldn't be a discrete puzzle like Tactical Nexus where there's one optimal solution that works every time. Maybe you'd also be able to use a limited resource to identify some (but not all) of the upcoming enemies in each game so you have partial information to plan your run around

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

the holy poopacy posted:

Slasher movie roguelike. One enemy, multiple expendable characters. Randomize the rules for how the killer works, try to figure it out before you run out of victims.

i wanna play! i wanna play! i wanna play!

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
that fake serial killer roguelike :v:

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
A roguelike where it becomes less and less of a roguelike as you take damage, so really it's your own fault the game has become a twitch FPS with generous checkpointing and an extensive metaprogression system

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I wanna see my friend ghostface in a roguelike and him to give me movie triva...

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dachshundofdoom posted:

A roguelike where it becomes less and less of a roguelike as you take damage, so really it's your own fault the game has become a twitch FPS with generous checkpointing and an extensive metaprogression system

Now THAT is a true horror roguelike.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

(The spirit points to a neglected grave. On the gravestone are the words “You died! Spend your 1730 gems to upgrade your character at the shop!”)
:ohno: : No, oh no, spirit, tell me it isn’t true! I am a changed man!

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

goferchan posted:

Lol that honestly came to mind when making the post. In my mind there would be a large pool of possible enemies that your foes would be randomly drawn from each run, so it wouldn't be a discrete puzzle like Tactical Nexus where there's one optimal solution that works every time. Maybe you'd also be able to use a limited resource to identify some (but not all) of the upcoming enemies in each game so you have partial information to plan your run around

My first thought would be to throw in some stealth game mechanics: if you're going with the idea of killing targets I think it would make sense for the main character to be an assassin. So like, early game you're trying to avoid detection as much as possible and sneak around the lair looking for clues as to who you're facing and what they might be weak to. You might also need to hunt around to actually find weapons that could damage your opponents. Mid game, once you have a bit of an arsenal, you might be able to try some hit and run attacks on a target to see if you can guess a weakness. And by the late game, once you've identified everyone and found all the items you need you could just go on a rampage.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wait, aren't y'all just describing World of Horror?

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
More Dawncaster chat - playing on higher difficulties really helps with the problem of it being too easy to make overpowered decks. As well as there being less camps to remove cards, enemy hp and damage is a lot higher, so you take way more attrition damage and have to heal instead. Makes it a lot trickier to get those decks up and running, and some of the bigger enemies can actually fight back. Playing a poison rogue now that got both coating and venomancy early and still had some fairly challenging fights.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Holy gently caress, this Skul run I just had was insane.

Hope Slasher, Fulgent Dawn, Kirion, The Ring, Thieves' Black Steel Dagger with Gunpowder Sword...jesus loving christ. I killed Joan and the First Hero in seconds.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Bought and played Synthetik Ultimate for a little more than 2 hours. Really let down by how well my first run went (I assume because they start you off with 3 weapons vs starting with just the pistol) got through i think 2 bosses, at least 1. Now just dying really quickly in each start

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Someone in the thread got me to try Super Auto Pets and being able to pick it up and drop it on the go is great. Any other mobile friendly games in this vein(easy to pick up for a few minutes). Something like hoplite maybe

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 6, 2022

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
Fucken slice and dice (Android) if you don't already have it

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Can second that, Slice and Dice is really good.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I put more hours into Slice and Dice than I did Slay the Spire, and I liked Slay the Spire

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah I'm very very excited for the iOS version, hope we get a release date soon

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Is Streets of Rogue roguelikey enough for this thread? Just looking for any general tips really - I can get to the industrial stage consistently but seem to always end up dead on industrial 2 or 3, no matter who I play (usually assassin or soldier).

I just beat Streets of Rogue as a Doctor. You might try playing some of the more stealthy characters, like doctor, cop, or thief and seeing how you like them. The stealthy characters also force you to take your time and plan more. I spend a lot of time knocking on doors and then knocking people out before creeping in and knocking more of them out. Doctor is insanely fun, he can chloroform people he gets behind, and he has an 8 -shot tranquilizer gun that takes 10 seconds to knock someone out, but won't alert them unless they see you fire it. It owns.

There are so many ways to do things and so many weird interactions, it's worth trying them all. Hire a slum dweller and have them Cause a Ruckus to draw attention away from yourself. Bribe the cops, purchase slaves and use them as walking landmines, try to get one person to aggro on you and then run through a crowd so they accidentally hit someone else who then aggros on them.

Good traits to unlock/keep in your list depend on the class you're playing. There are quite a few that are obviously either sneaky or tanky. Good ones that are never wrong for any class include Trust Fund (free money each level), any of the ones that give you automatic followers or loyal citizens (Friend of the Common Folk, Loneliness Killer, Random Reverence), and Wrong Building (people don't aggro when you enter the wrong building, they just get annoyed).

This game was really confusing to me at first too, but it really seems like the more mechanics you interact with the more you come to understand how to solve different problems. You're gonna die a lot, but that's part of the fun.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Is Streets of Rogue roguelikey enough for this thread? Just looking for any general tips really - I can get to the industrial stage consistently but seem to always end up dead on industrial 2 or 3, no matter who I play (usually assassin or soldier).

It is, but I also made a thread (alas, it didn't got traction)
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3934969

Try to play other classes, they may force your to interact with other systems in the game more, making you understand them better.

Another advice I can give (if you are like me) is to try not to over-hoard stuff, use the drugs and nice weapons you find around.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

CD projekt's new Witcher/Gwent title has been revealed and it launches tomorrow for $10. It's called Rogue Mage and it's a Gwent deckbuilding roguelite. For that price I'll probably check it out

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

goferchan posted:

CD projekt's new Witcher/Gwent title has been revealed and it launches tomorrow for $10. It's called Rogue Mage and it's a Gwent deckbuilding roguelite. For that price I'll probably check it out

What a terrible title.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Just beat Nethack for the first time, *checks alt.org logs* 14 years after playing an online game first. Well, I didn’t play at all for 10 of those years, but dang

https://pastebin.com/aS9xG6gG

code:
Unix NetHack Version 3.6.6-0 post-release - last build Wed Mar  2 21:18:52 2022 (68a0ebdf17ebd0808775aac4cd10437b340f7f63,branch:master).

Game began 2022-06-30 06:34:11, ended 2022-07-07 07:43:31.

icantfindaname, neutral male human Tourist

------
     A    2 ....|
     ---------.@--   ---
     |.......|.@.-- --...
     |.......|.A..---.....
     |..@@...A..@a.-.......
     |....B..|A...---.......
     |.......|A..-- --....%.
     ---------..--   ----)--
           A ...|  -----...-----
            ----- |............).
                  |....[).......
                  -------------
Icantfinda the Voyager      St:25 Dx:18 Co:18 In:23 Wi:23 Ch:18  Neutral
Astral Plane $:0  HP:201(201) Pw:10(126) AC:-38 Exp:25 T:112078 

Latest messages:
 The Angel of Offler zaps you with a magic missile!
 The magic missile whizzes by you!
 The magic missile bounces!
 The priest of Blind Io swings his mace at the renegade Angel of The Lady.
 The priest of Blind Io hits the renegade Angel of The Lady.
 The priest of Blind Io misses the renegade Angel of The Lady.
 Unknown command ' '.
 Unknown command ' '.
 The high priest intones:
 "Pilgrim, you enter a sacred place!"
 The vampire bat turns to flee.
 The high priest zaps himself with a wand of speed monster!
 The high priest is suddenly moving faster.
 You hit the vampire bat!
 "Mercy!  Dost thou wish me to die of laughter?"
 The Angel of Blind Io swings his long sword at the renegade Angel of The Lady.
 The Angel of Blind Io misses the renegade Angel of The Lady.
 The Angel of Blind Io swings his long sword at the renegade Angel of The Lady.
 The Angel of Blind Io hits the renegade Angel of The Lady.
 The Angel of Blind Io misses the renegade Angel of The Lady.
 Unknown command ' '.
 The Angel of Offler zaps you with a magic missile!
 The magic missile misses the Angel of Offler.
 The magic missile whizzes by you!
 You hear some noises.
 You hear some noises in the distance.
 The high priest wields a mace!
 Unknown command ' '.
 Unknown command ' '.
 The priest of Blind Io swings his mace at the fire ant.
 The priest of Blind Io hits the fire ant.
 The priest of Blind Io hits the fire ant.
 You sense a faint wave of psychic energy.
 Unknown command ' '.
 Unknown command ' '.
 There is a high altar to The Lady (neutral) here.
 What do you want to sacrifice? [J or ?*] ?
 You offer the Amulet of Yendor to The Lady...
 An invisible choir sings, and you are bathed in radiance...
 The voice of The Lady rings out: "Mortal, thou hast done well!"
 "In return for thy service, I grant thee the gift of Immortality!"
 You ascend to the status of Demigod...
 Do you want your possessions identified? [ynq] (y) y
 Do you want to see your attributes? [ynq] (y) y
 Do you want an account of creatures vanquished? [ynaq] (y) y
 Do you want a list of species genocided and extinct? [ynq] (y) y
 Do you want to see your conduct? [ynq] (y) y
 Do you want to see the dungeon overview? [ynq] (y) y

Inventory:
 Amulets
  m - an uncursed amulet of life saving (being worn)
  s - an uncursed amulet of magical breathing
 Weapons
  E - the blessed rustproof +6 Vorpal Blade (weapon in hand)
 Armor
  v - a blessed thoroughly rusty corroded +5 helm of brilliance (being worn)
  a - an uncursed rustproof +0 pair of gauntlets of power (being worn)
  t - an uncursed fireproof +3 pair of jumping boots (being worn)
  d - a blessed fireproof +5 pair of speed boots
  B - a blessed +3 shield of reflection (being worn)
  l - a blessed fireproof +3 cloak of protection (being worn)
  g - a blessed +4 Hawaiian shirt (being worn)
  H - an uncursed +5 gray dragon scale mail (being worn)
 Spellbooks
  G - the uncursed Book of the Dead
 Rings
  D - an uncursed ring of conflict (on right hand)
  z - an uncursed ring of free action (on left hand)
  f - an uncursed ring of levitation
 Wands
  X - a wand of death (0:4)
  R - a wand of digging (0:5)
  C - a wand of digging (0:0)
  V - a wand of teleportation (0:3)
  Y - a wand of teleportation (0:3)
  I - a wand of teleportation (0:2)
 Tools
  Z - a blessed greased bag of holding containing 64 items
  h - an uncursed sack named explodeables containing 2 items
  P - the cursed Bell of Opening (0:1)
  A - a cursed brass lantern named mepty (lit)
  e - a can of grease (0:6)
  w - the cursed Candelabrum of Invocation (7 candles attached)
  n - the blessed Orb of Fate (0:4)
  Q - the blessed Platinum Yendorian Express Card
  y - an uncursed skeleton key
  W - a cursed stethoscope
  r - a +0 unicorn horn

Contents of the sack named explodeables:
  a wand of cancellation (0:4)
  a wand of cancellation (0:3)

Contents of the bag of holding:
  a cursed amulet of life saving
  a blessed amulet of reflection
  the blessed rustproof +0 Magicbane
  an uncursed +0 pair of water walking boots
  an uncursed +0 oilskin cloak
  15 uncursed K-rations
  an uncursed lembas wafer
  an uncursed pancake
  an uncursed pancake
  5 blessed tins of nurse meat
  3 uncursed lizard corpses
  10 blessed scrolls of blank paper
  a blessed scroll of remove curse
  2 uncursed scrolls of remove curse
  an uncursed scroll of scare monster
  2 uncursed scrolls of scare monster
  3 blessed scrolls of teleportation
  an uncursed scroll of teleportation
  an uncursed scroll of teleportation
  3 cursed scrolls of teleportation
  an uncursed potion of booze
  5 uncursed potions of full healing
  3 uncursed potions of monster detection
  5 uncursed potions of paralysis
  9 potions of holy water
  an uncursed ring of sustain ability
  an uncursed ring of teleport control
  an uncursed ring of warning
  a wand of cold (0:5)
  a wand of death (0:5)
  a wand of death (1:4)
  a wand of death (0:0)
  a wand of digging (0:0)
  a wand of digging (0:6)
  a wand of digging (0:5)
  a wand of digging (0:4)
  a wand of digging (0:0)
  a wand of fire (0:8)
  a wand of fire (0:3)
  a wand of fire (0:2)
  a wand of fire (0:2)
  a wand of lightning (0:6)
  a blessed wand of secret door detection (0:13)
  a wand of teleportation (0:6)
  a wand of teleportation (0:4)
  a wand of teleportation (0:4)
  a wand of teleportation (0:3)
  a wand of teleportation (0:0)
  a wand of wishing (0:0)
  an uncursed tooled horn
  an expensive camera (0:55)
  a magic marker (0:55)
  an uncursed stethoscope
  an uncursed towel
  a +0 unicorn horn
  7 uncursed wax candles
  4 uncursed aquamarine stones
  4 uncursed obsidian stones
  an uncursed ruby
  a blessed luckstone
  an uncursed luckstone

Icantfindaname the Tourist's attributes:

Background:
 You were a Voyager, a level 25 male human Tourist.
 You were neutral, on a mission for The Lady
 who was opposed by Blind Io (lawful) and Offler (chaotic).
 You were in the endgame, on the Astral Plane.
 You entered the dungeon 112078 turns ago.
 You had 50026969 experience points, 9973031 more were needed for level 26.

Basics:
 You had all 201 hit points.
 You had 10 out of 126 energy points (spell power).
 Your armor class was -38.
 Your wallet was empty.
 Autopickup was off.

Final Characteristics:
 Your strength was 25 (base:18/94, innate limit:18/100).
 Your dexterity was 18 (limit:18).
 Your constitution was 18 (limit:18).
 Your intelligence was 23 (base:18, innate limit:18).
 Your wisdom was 23 (base:18, innate limit:18).
 Your charisma was 18 (limit:18).

Final Status:
 You were unencumbered.
 You were wielding a long sword.
 You had basic skill with long sword.

Final Attributes:
 You were the Envoy of Balance.
 You were piously aligned.
 You were magic-protected.
 You were fire resistant.
 You were cold resistant.
 You were sleep resistant.
 You were shock resistant.
 You were poison resistant.
 You saw invisible.
 You were telepathic.
 You were warned.
 You had automatic searching.
 You were invisible to others.
 You caused conflict.
 You could jump.
 You had a moderate defense bonus (+9).
 You were protected.
 You took half physical damage.
 You took half spell damage.
 You were very fast.
 You had reflection.
 You had free action.
 Your life would have been saved.
 You were extremely lucky.
 You had extra luck.
 Good luck did not time out for you.
 You survived after being killed once.

Vanquished creatures:
    Demogorgon
    Orcus
    Juiblex
the Wizard of Yendor (twice)
    Famine
    Vlad the Impaler
  a high priest
  3 mastodons
    Medusa
    Croesus
 16 krakens
the Master of Thieves
 an Archon
Got pretty lucky, found GDSM and a shield of reflection early and without wishing. Had like 5 wishes unused. I got Grayswandir from a wish and vaporized it by accident, so had to use Vorpal instead. Almost died at Orcus, I did not read up and got swarmed by him, Demogorgon and an arch lich, which is where the death and life saving happened. I had to escape further down gehenna and get lucky with uncontrolled Orb level-port to bring me above Jubilex’s swamp, because I had cursed gloves and couldn’t change rings

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 7, 2022

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Actually playing through Nethack I conclude it is a very good game, lives up to the reputation, better than many/most(?) rougelikes, especially the other more orthodox ascii roguelikes, I like it way better than DCSS now. Very, very hard though, an order of magnitude harder than even vanilla DCSS which has been getting harder for years. Some subsystems (pets) are a lot worse designed and less fun than others (items), which is bad because pets are necessary for a lot of starts to survive. Spellcasting is of limited use to most classes except wizard. Item and tool using builds break the endgame, so tourist is actually one of the strongest roles overall

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

Just beat Nethack for the first time, *checks alt.org logs* 14 years after playing an online game first. Well, I didn’t play at all for 10 of those years, but dang

https://pastebin.com/aS9xG6gG

Hell yeah, congrats gamer. I've certainly not been playing continuously but I think my first game of Nethack was 17 years ago and I still haven't squeezed out a win lol, I need to go back and knock that off the checklist