Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Party Ape posted:

Are they're literal card carrying Nazis? No, but they are ironic Nazis who think it's cool and funny to sneak in as much hidden Nazi iconography as they can while still having some degree of deniability. And I'm sure everyone is familiar with the ironic Nazi to real Nazi pipeline.

Yeah, hiding poo poo in plain sight is top of the hobby list for these assholes, so they can have a right old giggle when people call them out and there’s just enough differences to claim plausible deniability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
When I look at that BAYC thing my first thought wasn't the Totenkopf SS stuff but of motorcycle club patches.

But a lot of that poo poo is super influenced by nazi iconography(And sometimes literally just nazi stuff) so I'm not sure how much better that is.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I mean, that's part of the game for these people. Take a symbol, put it out in public, then act like people are tilting at windmills when they call "nazi".

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Go draw 20 logos real quick. Then check to see how many you accidentally made with identical layouts to SS symbols. It's gonna be zero. No one accidentally draws Nazi poo poo.
here's the thing that gets me about the "it's just coincidence" defense: if I somehow accidentally drew a logo that looked like the SS totenkopf seal, and someone pointed out to me that the thing I had created looked a lot like this particular design worn by the worst of the Nazis, I would simply toss that logo away and draw another logo that does not look like it's echoing the SS totenkopf seal, because I want there to be zero confusion as to how much I hate Nazis and anything with a passing resemblance to said Nazis

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

BAYC logo is Nazi AF OP.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Blotto_Otter posted:

here's the thing that gets me about the "it's just coincidence" defense: if I somehow accidentally drew a logo that looked like the SS totenkopf seal, and someone pointed out to me that the thing I had created looked a lot like this particular design worn by the worst of the Nazis, I would simply toss that logo away and draw another logo that does not look like it's echoing the SS totenkopf seal, because I want there to be zero confusion as to how much I hate Nazis and anything with a passing resemblance to said Nazis

like... the polonium blockchain ouya people say theyre gonna change their gamecube logo so like theres no room for the indian nazi hominids here to pretend theirs isnt what it is (oh gods what a sentence that feels like a stroke)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I notice the BAYC Totenkopf skull defender didn't post the remarks from Pitcavage's comments in that Input magazine article, where he said that there is cause for concern because many of the various lovely looking BA NFTs definitely look like racist drawings of black or Asian people. Or, to put it more succinctly,

https://twitter.com/FreddieGibbs/status/1480751808746242053?s=20&t=SfB3vXc4HkBg3kNbHHcZ-w

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Party Ape posted:

People trying to deny the similarities should have to write 1000 words how frequently companies use skulls in their logo and why its more logical that a bunch of right wing edge lords accidently used a skull that strongly resembles a Nazi skull than deliberately.

Are they're literal card carrying Nazis? No, but they are ironic Nazis who think it's cool and funny to sneak in as much hidden Nazi iconography as they can while still having some degree of deniability. And I'm sure everyone is familiar with the ironic Nazi to real Nazi pipeline.
Strangely the OP ended up writing almost, but not quite, 1500 words on the topic

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

buglord posted:

I check BTC prices at work and my biggest fear is that IT thinks I’m into coins when I’m actually into affordable GPU prices.

here's the big brain move: search "when will gpu prices go down" immediately after :thunk:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Blotto_Otter posted:

I designed a logo for a football thing called “The 88” about a decade ago and when the thing launched a bunch of people wrote in and were like “you guys know that’s a nazi thing right” (which we and the client didn’t at the time) and even though we offered to redo all of the creative if they wanted to rebrand the owner outed himself as a holocaust denier, completely unprovoked.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

fullroundaction posted:

I designed a logo for a football thing called “The 88” about a decade ago and when the thing launched a bunch of people wrote in and were like “you guys know that’s a nazi thing right” (which we and the client didn’t at the time) and even though we offered to redo all of the creative if they wanted to rebrand the owner outed himself as a holocaust denier, completely unprovoked.

yeah that poo poo's never an accident

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

The Yacht C. turned up Nazi

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

https://twitter.com/TKopelman/status/1544681423633874947?t=cNX-yZJyD61k6tcRTRUCUw&s=19

It annoys me when otherwise sensible financial advice types kowtow to crypto "strategies" and equate it to other asset allocations.

For the record, Mr. Kopelman also said the best way to learn about crypto was to have some skin in the game and buy Bitcoin already... right before its recent hard tumble.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Space Fish posted:

For the record, Mr. Kopelman also said the best way to learn about crypto was to have some skin in the game and buy Bitcoin already... right before its recent hard tumble.

And the people who followed his advice learned an important lesson about crypto.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cyrano4747 posted:

BAYC logo is Nazi AF OP.

It really is. I'm jaundiced about people saying Internet Thing X is Totally Nazis but that logo is SS as gently caress.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

but their grandparents escaped auschwitz!

I wish I were kidding, but that argument was told to me verbatim by someone not jewish who had no verifiable link to auschwitz. Specifically in defense of all the yugalabs/ nazi / racism tropes. I pretty much stopped talking to them after that.

They got out before the Red Army arrived, clearly

Strong Sauce posted:

Is this the same ADL who tried to get Title VI to equate anti-Israel sentiment with anti-semitism in order to suppress criticism of Israel regarding Palestine?

Ignoring that using the ADL as the moral authority of what is and isn't racist is shaky ground, what does this even mean?

So because the Prussian military had previously used it... it's not neo-nazi symbolism?

Yeah, the ADL's been poo poo for a long while. A lot of Zionists are loving weird and awful like that and since they're aligned with the far right they provide cover for them.

Crypto types even do the same thing where they act high-minded and throw words around when pitching their poo poo ideas, and then throw tantrums and indicate the conversation is over when people start asking actual questions they can't ignore like 'But what about when you actually need to produce a viable product?' Just look at the end of that tweet thread.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A single red flag is something you can potentially handwave away depending on the circumstances, but BAYC has like three or four glaring red flags, with that logo being just one of them. At that point, there should no longer be any debate. There are too many "coincidences" to dismiss.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

A single red flag is something you can potentially handwave away depending on the circumstances, but BAYC has like three or four glaring red flags, with that logo being just one of them. At that point, there should no longer be any debate. There are too many "coincidences" to dismiss.

Ok but have you considered that I simply don’t want it to be true?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://twitter.com/sockibomb13/status/1478764082442424320?lang=en

Top disc golf pro and bitcoin advocate Ricky Wysocki posted this in January whoops!

https://twitter.com/sockibomb13/status/1478837277933584392

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Pretty much that's what I think, yeah.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Oof yikes. Dude is a hell of a golfer tho.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Talorat posted:

Not only does it still exist, it’s being actively maintained. I know because they upgraded it to HTTPS last year which broke a bunch of my testing infra. I was using zombo.com as a way to test HTTP parsing as it was the last living http site that I could find that never goes down.

Curse you zombo.com maintainers!

http://neverssl.com is 100% guaranteed to never be SSL. This is great for stuff like the thing you're saying, and also for forcing a public wifi login screen on mobile and stuff.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

edit: double post

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Dinosaurs! posted:

The Yacht C. turned up Nazi

:hmmyes:

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Neito posted:

I mean, that's part of the game for these people. Take a symbol, put it out in public, then act like people are tilting at windmills when they call "nazi".

It even happens on this forum, per my avatar. Turns out, you can be fascist without being a card carrying member of the NSDAP.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I understand wanting to break out Hanlon's Razor, but I don't know why crypto fuckers deserve the benefit of the doubt.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Space Fish posted:

https://twitter.com/TKopelman/status/1544681423633874947?t=cNX-yZJyD61k6tcRTRUCUw&s=19

It annoys me when otherwise sensible financial advice types kowtow to crypto "strategies" and equate it to other asset allocations.

hmm, yeah, i could see the mass panic driving the price to book ratio so low that expected returns are suddenly really attractive again

we just need to start combing through quarterly and annual statements to figure out which crypto have the most robust real assets on their books

oh poo poo, the book is just full of ape jpegs! abort, abort!!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TheBizzness posted:

Ok but have you considered that I simply don’t want it to be true?
An intriguing possibility but its validity is going to depend on your established affinities. Show us the apes.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
carryin water for crypto cryptofascists

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Axie Infinity hack was the result of one of their Senior Engineers trying to apply for a job at a fake company.
https://www.theblock.co/post/156038/how-a-fake-job-offer-took-down-the-worlds-most-popular-crypto-game

quote:

After what one source described as multiple rounds of interviews, a Sky Mavis engineer was offered a job with an extremely generous compensation package.

The fake “offer” was delivered in the form of a PDF document, which the engineer downloaded — allowing spyware to infiltrate Ronin’s systems. From there, hackers were able to attack and take over four out of nine validators on the Ronin network — leaving them just one validator short of total control.

quote:

In a post-mortem blog post on the hack, published April 27, Sky Mavis said: “Employees are under constant advanced spear-phishing attacks on various social channels and one employee was compromised. This employee no longer works at Sky Mavis. The attacker managed to leverage that access to penetrate Sky Mavis IT infrastructure and gain access to the validator nodes.”

Now if you recall, their "blockchain" for their DAO was controlled via "proof of authority" basically there were 9 authorities who could validate transactions. 4 were controlled by sky mavis, at least 1 was controlled by the Axie DAO. and of course... all those were hacked once they were able to breach the system from the PDF exploit.

Edit: I just realized they disclosed this stuff below back in April in their postmortem, so its not necessary new info
However if this article is to be believed, the reason they were able to access that extra node from Axie DAO, was because Sky Mavis needed help verifying the overwhelming amount of transaction back in Nov 2021, Axie DAO responded by letting Sky Mavis validate transactions _as_ Axie DAO. They "stopped" in Dec 2021.

Except, of course, they didn't actually fully remove the authorization of Sky Mavis. So when Sky Mavis got hacked, the hackers discovered they still had access to Axie DAO, so they pretended they were Sky Mavis, and made basically an API call into Axie DAO to be the 5th validator.

So while it was the fault of that employee for opening the PDF. Because of bad security practices, the hackers were able to grab the last validator needed to actually control the blockchain.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 7, 2022

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Did he get the job?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Strong Sauce posted:

Axie Infinity hack was the result of one of their Senior Engineers trying to apply for a job at a fake company.
https://www.theblock.co/post/156038/how-a-fake-job-offer-took-down-the-worlds-most-popular-crypto-game

Now if you recall, their "blockchain" for their DAO was controlled via "proof of authority" basically there were 9 authorities who could validate transactions. 4 were controlled by sky mavis, at least 1 was controlled by the Axie DAO. and of course... all those were hacked once they were able to breach the system from the PDF exploit.

Edit: I just realized they disclosed this stuff below back in April in their postmortem, so its not necessary new info
However if this article is to be believed, the reason they were able to access that extra node from Axie DAO, was because Sky Mavis needed help verifying the overwhelming amount of transaction back in Nov 2021, Axie DAO responded by letting Sky Mavis validate transactions _as_ Axie DAO. They "stopped" in Dec 2021.

Except, of course, they didn't actually fully remove the authorization of Sky Mavis. So when Sky Mavis got hacked, the hackers discovered they still had access to Axie DAO, so they pretended they were Sky Mavis, and made basically an API call into Axie DAO to be the 5th validator.

So while it was the fault of that employee for opening the PDF. Because of bad security practices, the hackers were able to grab the last validator needed to actually control the blockchain.

did he get the job, tho

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Hello Sailor posted:

Doesn't BAYC also try making Holocaust jokes a couple times a year?

That's Binance

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/1516849539772264453

Whoopsie! No idea how that made it through several layers of review (what their CEO actually said)

Whoopsie! That was just the work of an inexperienced intern. Just a weird thing that happens all the time in regular companies.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
as a european the BAYC logo immediately made me think of the totenkopf because they're so obviously meant to be similar that you genuinely have to be incredibly uneducated or dishonest to claim the opposite

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Coolness Averted posted:

Has there been any source for that other than the other nft scammer who wants you to buy his nfts instead?
I got the impression the ape thing came from the wayy wallstreetbets and other bagholders call themselves apes.
It's from the internet sewer, so I'm certain they do a ton of 'ironic' racism, but I've only seen games of telephone that yuga or whatever is actually fash

It's a thing that was started by 4chan to see if people would believe it, like the ok symbol. But it doesn't matter because here we are. People have bought into it and it's not gonna go backwards.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

putin is a oval office posted:

It's a thing that was started by 4chan to see if people would believe it, like the ok symbol. But it doesn't matter because here we are. People have bought into it and it's not gonna go backwards.

the game here with cryptofascists stealing symbolism is they play the left against itself
now the left will be hunting for people unawares using it in previous innocent contexts, and every time that happens it sows doubt and plays into a "hahah paranoid idiot leftist" reaction, which idiot "both sides" type eat up.
simultaneously they use it to actually signal to each other, and the first point ensures any cases of the second will always have a false-positive they can point to or old contexts.
the ok symbol is absolutely a hate speech icon used in certain contexts such as, say, a group of police flashing it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

I preferred the first post that just ended after the colon. Gotta keep the anticipation up lol

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

SRQ posted:

the game here with cryptofascists stealing symbolism is they play the left against itself
now the left will be hunting for people unawares using it in previous innocent contexts, and every time that happens it sows doubt and plays into a "hahah paranoid idiot leftist" reaction, which idiot "both sides" type eat up.
simultaneously they use it to actually signal to each other, and the first point ensures any cases of the second will always have a false-positive they can point to or old contexts.
the ok symbol is absolutely a hate speech icon used in certain contexts such as, say, a group of police flashing it.

I seem to remember some other group of fascists stealing a different symbol at some point too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
it's actually an ancient tibetan symbol for "peace"; you're going to have to work a lot harder than that to prove i'm a fascist