Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Dreger says no to MAF in Minny... What's happening?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

MAF back to Minnesota

If you're Minny what else are you going to do? But trying to run it back with Talbot and Fleury seems less than ideal.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Nm I'm dumb he plays there right now I forgot

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ginette Reno posted:

That's a lot of risk since you'd want to move Jarry at the draft probably if you did and then you have to hope that Maf actually would sign which there's no guarantee of.

Oh yeah for sure, no way you trade Jarry unless you already have a short term stopgap replacement locked up. The team can still make the playoffs if they re-sign Letang at least, no reason to blow that up with Casey DeSmith, #1 Goaltender.

Anyway as stated, MAF will never return to Pittsburgh as long as Sullivan is there, they probably gave DeSmith 2 years just to make it super clear to everyone that is not an option they are considering for a second.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Looks like everyone is divided on MAF, Dreger says no, Weekes says yes.

EDIT: Weekes takes it back!

https://twitter.com/KevinWeekes/status/1545069212279898115

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 7, 2022

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Oh hey, Kakko is trending on twitter, let me just check thi....oh god. Oh no. Larry Brooks lol.

E: forgot the link

https://twitter.com/InsaneFanTrades/status/1545050088757530626

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
The fact that Slafvosky (and Wright for that matter) isn't seen as 100% future first-liners makes me a little more OK with the Devils shopping the pick. But it sure does seem like a big body play-driving winger would be useful!

mcmagic posted:

If the Devils trade 2 and pass on Salfkovsky there is like a 100% chance he ends up being great.

This is also true.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1545071205769789440?t=iADdv9LI7UR0RHWN1YmQMw&s=19

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/SunGarrioch/status/1545075779998044160?t=xFbqw9w0DBwQiYdh2h0BjQ&s=19

Oh hell yes do it Kyle

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
the book on Salfkovsky reminds me alot of Gabe Landeskog in his draft year.. a big dude with questionable scoring statistics for a top prospect at the draft, but maybe he'll develop his physical gifts into becoming a franchise cornerstone forward?

I can see why the Devils would be willing to trade away the pick if they don't feel that there's a player available that meets their standards for the 2nd overall pick.. almost surely that asset would be rated higher by someone else, so why not make a trade?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Any Toronto goons here?

My brother and I are taking our dad to the HHOF later this month.

Tips tricks, dos, don'ts?

Also wanna hit up a Blue Jays game while in town.

What should I know?

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
of course you trade the #2 for Kakko, that #2 could be anything...even the next Kakko!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I would love for Toronto to get Murray

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Krime posted:

Any Toronto goons here?

What should I know?

Are you going for the day, or staying overnight?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Krime posted:

Any Toronto goons here?

What should I know?

Both of those are really close to Union Station, if you want to take a train or GO bus into town (toronto isn't great to drive and parking could be terrible)

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
A Murray/Mrazek tandem would somehow both suck and spend 3/4 of their season on IR

Please Kyle

https://twitter.com/capital_gains65/status/1545071876883480579?s=21&t=FxyJc_7p26UfRh5tZ3DUWQ

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

This would be fantastic content.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Krime posted:

Any Toronto goons here?

What should I know?

HHOF is good, well worth a visit. It and the Skydome are right by the CN tower too which is fun on a sunny, clear day. The waterfront in Toronto is largely to be missed but if he's into boats and soulless condo towers go for it. If you're staying anywhere near downtown you don't need a car. Subway and streetcars will get you everywhere you need to go aside from weirdly the Skydome which you'll have to walk 10ish minutes from the subway station to get to.

Beyond that, depends what he's into.
St. Lawrence Market is your classic indoor food market but its not far from the HHOF and you can get a peameal bacon sandwich which is one of Toronto's signature foods. If it's food and trendy vibes I recommend Kensington Market. It was the centre of Toronto's hippie scene and retains a strong youth culture/walkable streets vibe and has a ton of great places to eat. If he likes historical recreation stuff Fort York isn't bad, it's a classic British occupation fort. Casa Loma is boring and I'd recommend skipping it unless old timey houses are your thing.

Depends when you're in town but the CNE is on from mid August to early September and is a yearly pop up amusement park and food festival in the west end that's always worth a visit. Otherwise lots to do and the tourist to do lists are always pretty good.

I miss living in Toronto.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Glad we gave him a NTC in addition to the insane money + term

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

Are you going for the day, or staying overnight?

Arivia posted:

Both of those are really close to Union Station, if you want to take a train or GO bus into town (toronto isn't great to drive and parking could be terrible)

ThinkTank posted:

HHOF is good, well worth a visit. It and the Skydome are right by the CN tower too which is fun on a sunny, clear day. The waterfront in Toronto is largely to be missed but if he's into boats and soulless condo towers go for it. If you're staying anywhere near downtown you don't need a car. Subway and streetcars will get you everywhere you need to go aside from weirdly the Skydome which you'll have to walk 10ish minutes from the subway station to get to.

Beyond that, depends what he's into.
St. Lawrence Market is your classic indoor food market but its not far from the HHOF and you can get a peameal bacon sandwich which is one of Toronto's signature foods. If it's food and trendy vibes I recommend Kensington Market. It was the centre of Toronto's hippie scene and retains a strong youth culture/walkable streets vibe and has a ton of great places to eat. If he likes historical recreation stuff Fort York isn't bad, it's a classic British occupation fort. Casa Loma is boring and I'd recommend skipping it unless old timey houses are your thing.

Depends when you're in town but the CNE is on from mid August to early September and is a yearly pop up amusement park and food festival in the west end that's always worth a visit. Otherwise lots to do and the tourist to do lists are always pretty good.

I miss living in Toronto.

Looking at being there from 24th - 27th.

Is the HHOF a one day visit or is it a split it into 2 days kinda thing?

We will probably stay as close as possible to the HHOF.

My dad is 70 so I'll be sure to send him to Kensington Market!!!! :laffo:

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Aye Doc posted:

it's hosed up that bobby laying in his pool with a margarita in each fist is still more connected than anyone else in the league, right

The deadline where he decided to son Dreger one last time by breaking Jeff Carter to Pittsburgh was wonderful

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Krime posted:

HHOF isn't that big you can cover it in a couple hours.

King St has a bunch of nice restaurants but the HHOF is near the financial district so it's not particularly touristy.

If you have a spare day a trip down to Niagara falls where you get on the maid of the mist and say wowee that's a big waterfall is fun, then spend the rest of the day playing games in the arcades and going to the Ripley's museum is worth it.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Krime posted:

The HHOF is a one-day visit. The hotel I recommend is the Westin Harbour Castle, it's on the lake, down the street from the HHOF and Scotiabank Arena, and is generally cheap if you don't book until the night you get there.

I'd recommend heading around Scotiabank Arena too, the Leafs have a Legends Row of statues outside that is nice.

If you're staying for an extended amount of time, there's a grocery store in Maple Leaf Gardens, and that is worth the walk to go see that building (and get some food/snacks if you don't want to eat out for every meal).

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ThinkTank posted:

HHOF isn't that big you can cover it in a couple hours.

King St has a bunch of nice restaurants but the HHOF is near the financial district so it's not particularly touristy.

If you have a spare day a trip down to Niagara falls where you get on the maid of the mist and say wowee that's a big waterfall is fun, then spend the rest of the day playing games in the arcades and going to the Ripley's museum is worth it.

The whole Niagara region is nice, especially Niagara-On-The-Lake. Gretzky has a winery there, and it's a really nice area to see the river gorge, walk around a really nice little town, and get some homemade food.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1545084738897154048?t=7JAYGP3V-99VTskwb1bH5g&s=19

Lmao six years

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
HE'S 35 YEARS OLD

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
e: Removed a stupid question. Assuming Malkin signs, though, how do they fit all of this under the cap?

bub spank fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 7, 2022

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Krime posted:

Any Toronto goons here?

What should I know?

They keep the better beer on the 100 level concourse on the 3B side halfway into the outfield

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Owns owns owns
Great AAV too

bub spank posted:

e: Removed a stupid question. Assuming Malkin signs, though, how do they fit all of this under the cap?

They had space to keep them both at their current contract values, this is a paycut. It's easy now. Worst case they ship off Zucker or McGinn

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1545086353901338625

JFC someone take Dorion's phone away

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Length of contract is immaterial now that you can just hossa it or LTIR it and trade it to a high cap team.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

lmao this would have owned

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Sure. They had to keep him. Either long AF and LTIR island with lower AAV or short and high dollar. Post 35 contact isn't it so buyout and retirement stuff is changed right?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's fine. Keeps the AAV down during the last couple years of Crosby's career, after which they'll be the worst team in the league so Letang's cap hit will be irrelevant. Plus there's a pretty good chance he'll be on Robidas Island by year 4, or else will waive his NMC to move to a team that won't lose 60 games while the Pens retain half.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Krime posted:

Any Toronto goons here?

What should I know?

I'll second the don't drive part in you are just doing Jays/HHOF. They're about a 20 minute walk apart, so you can hit them both up in a day if the Jays play at night. And it's basically all bars and restaurants along the way so HHOF > Food > Jays is a long but convenient day. The trip takes you right through the financial district so most of it is pricey fancy stuff. Scotiabank arena/Maple Leaf Square/Jurassic Park is right along the way too, so if you want the full official Toronto Sports experience day, Realsports is a nice sports bar that's owned by MLSE. There's probably better, cheaper places for specific tastes, but if you're going to do a sports themed day, you might as well and it is good for what it is.

If you are staying a bit longer, have access to a car and are adventurous about food, there's a lot of fun to be had just picking a random country/region and finding a place that's authentic immigrants making stuff for their community restaurants rather than the cleaned up versions downtown. The St. Lawrence and Kensington are cool if you are staying downtown-ish.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Perfectly fine with six years. If the Penguins suck near the end of his contract, who gives a poo poo? They'll be rebuilding anyways. The important thing was the cap value as keeping that low should let them maximize whatever is left of their window.

Also it's dorky to say but I'm glad he'll be playing his whole career here

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Sure. They had to keep him. Either long AF and LTIR island with lower AAV or short and high dollar. Post 35 contact isn't it so buyout and retirement stuff is changed right?

You can still trade a 35+ LTIR contract, and they can still retire, but I think buy outs are bonus sensitive. I.e. if they have signing bonus’ still active you can’t buy them out or something like that.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/1545087831739170818

Enjoy!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There is no chance in hell Letang will actually play six more years. He'll be LTIR'd for good by the end of the 4th year or just retired and his cap hit will be offloaded on the Coyotes as per the ancient and honored tradition.

e: actually probably not, by then the Penguins will be selling their cap space to other teams, not the reverse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

whatis posted:

lmao this would have owned

I don't know how Dorion still has a job. Throwing away a top-10 pick to get out of the financial commitment of his own bad signing should be a fireable offence. They didn't need to trade for Murray! Or sign him to an extension before he played a game! And it's not like they're in a cap crunch that would force their hand here. It's like the Zibanejad/Brassard deal, but even worse because it's caused directly by Dorion's earlier incompetence in trading for Murray.

e: And the trade leaking makes it clear to other teams that Ottawa's desperate to offload Murray for budget reasons, completely tanking whatever marginal trade value he might have had. Either that or the Sens are going to go way off the board again at the draft, and are confident the player they want 7th overall will still be there in the late teens.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 7, 2022