Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

MechaX posted:

It took until MR 10, but I am finally free of needing to use the Mighty Bow Feather Cap.

I'm currently getting around this by exclusively using bows with level 4 unlocked for free. Ore Tree 2 for life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

drat i have a hard time not getting clipped by the edge of tigrex's wing when they charge, makes me feel really dumb for never committing more to getting out of the way

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sunbreak is cool because you don't have to fight a single Rathalos or Diablos to make it to the end of MR.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I loving love Diablos, their moves seem tailor made for Hammers to clown on. They honestly might be my favorite monster to fight. I just want to beat on their tusks all day long.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

chumbler posted:

I forget, does offensive guard trigger off of guard edge or other guard/parry wirebug skills?

It absolutely does. Makes Metsu SnS and silkguard CB extremely fun.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I have some dumb questions:

- when I go canteen and eat I get a set of temporary buffs based on my choices and I also get a permanent buff to my health and stamina?

- I am doing HR2 and HR3 hunts, I done a couple weapons upgrades. I is there much point of crafting or upgrading armor this early in the game?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Calidus posted:

- when I go canteen and eat I get a set of temporary buffs based on my choices and I also get a permanent buff to my health and stamina?

- I am doing HR2 and HR3 hunts, I done a couple weapons upgrades. I is there much point of crafting or upgrading armor this early in the game?

Yes, food always gives you a buff to your health and stamina for the next hunt. The other bonuses you choose are a chance at activation (which you can increase to in most cases 100% by spending a ticket) for the hunt.

Yes HR armor is worth upgrading. I wouldn't go too out of your way to farm up a set since you'll get to MR eventually, but you should at minimum dump spheres into it until it starts getting really expensive, since upper levels of HR armor get outrageously expensive to upgrade because it was end game for a while, while MR armor is much cheaper to upgrade. HR armor spheres are the same story as low rank, burn them if you've got them because they're a pittance in MR and you'll get much better ones in MR.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Calidus posted:

1. Yes, you get a HP/stamina boost when you eat automatically, plus whatever skills trigger based on your menu choices. You can turn all those triggers to 100% by using the item, and you can get tons of those items by doing the little donate/conversion thing.

2. The entire game is crafting and upgrading armor. If you see a set you particularly think looks good or fun, just farm it and craft it. Progress as fast or as slow as you enjoy, and if that means making the absolute best LR set possible before getting into HR that's fine. Or if it means making the beginner set of armor stretch as far as you can, also fine. The most important thing is to check every once in a while and upgrade your armor with spheres. That'll let pretty much any HR piece be as powerful defensively as any other.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Calidus posted:

Yeah, always eat before a quest, and make sure to equip the petalaces you unlock as you complete story content, as those are the items that actually allow your health + stamina to increase. And you'll still want to collect permabuffers during the mission.

Calidus posted:

On armor sets - there are 3 distinct levels (LR, HR, and MR) that unlock when you start those quest types, and the most basic HR set is miles better than the best LR set, and the same is true for MR vs HR.

As for if it's worth dumping spheres into HR armor - the answer was yes before the expansion came out, but now, not so much. I would say find a set you REALLY like, and upgrade it as you can afford. But don't try and go crazy building a bunch of sets, as everything will be obsolete by the time you hit MR - and in MR you will soon be swimming in money and armor spheres. Just focus on having enough power to get through the required HR missions and unlock the expansion content.

Note that once you "max out" the upgrades on a piece of armor, that doesn't mean it's actually maxed - hitting milestones by completely Urgent missions will often unlock another level of upgrades for all your armor sets. Check back at the blacksmith every time you complete one of those.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Calidus posted:

Make armor that looks cool and has interesting skills, imo.

However, if you're just trying to rush through HR to get to MR, they gave out the HR Black Belt armor for free when sunbreak came out, and that can get you through the story.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What the gently caress did they feed MR Zinorge for Sunbreak?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Whatever they fed MR Narga, probably.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Are there any Danjo must do quests? I’d hate to spend a hunt only to find out I unlock something useless.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Idk but he's probably the number one ender of pubbie hunts I've seen. Hunters just simply will never stop wirefalling into follow up attacks and hell I can't stop them

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Electric Phantasm posted:

Whatever they didn't feed to MR Bazel and Rakna-Kadaki, both monsters died like absolute chumps.

Pyre Rakna is also pathetically easy too.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Pyre Rakna is cool. I like how deranged she is. I also noticed that Pyrantulas out in the wild will not aggro on you the way Rachnoids will, and die a lot easier. There's a story there with how much she ends up murdering them through her own moves and explosions and stuff.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Why do these afflicted idiots have so much HP

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Andrast posted:

Why do these afflicted idiots have so much HP

I just opened the thread to post exactly this. The updated aggressive AI is cool but the fights last like 33% too long.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Can’t wait for Apex Afflicted hunts :getin:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Alxprit posted:

Pyre Rakna is cool. I like how deranged she is. I also noticed that Pyrantulas out in the wild will not aggro on you the way Rachnoids will, and die a lot easier. There's a story there with how much she ends up murdering them through her own moves and explosions and stuff.

I find it very funny when rachnoids die literally from one monster roar

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
presented without comment

https://i.imgur.com/TWvWHFG.mp4

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
That deserves to be in the OP.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There’s no coming back from this

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

lmfao

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm sorry, you're not allowed to play monster hunter rise anymore

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

I just assumed that was a "you die in the game and you die in real life" moment and Your Computer's relative is posthumously posting.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That Kulu-Ya-Ku is the real MR hunter now. Expecting "rock" as the 15th weapon.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Christ, people weren’t kidding, Shagaru’s feisty.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

That Kulu is definitely in the top percentage of Kulu.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Man, I just beat the somnocanth variant and picked out nargacuga to take on next, and drat he hits hard. Taking out 75% of my health per hit, didn't think my armor was that outdated but time to go craft something I guess.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Narg is all raw damage so the elemental resistance of your HR armor isn't picking up as much of the slack as against elemental attackers.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

TaurusOxford posted:

That deserves to be in the OP.

Only because images can't be thread titles.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Narg is all raw damage so the elemental resistance of your HR armor isn't picking up as much of the slack as against elemental attackers.

I was actually running one of the first MR armors, rather than an HR set, but ye.

I never actually got HR100 in the base game so I never really had an end game armor set with decos or w/e and have just been endlessly upgrading the clown suit.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

TaurusOxford posted:

That deserves to be the OP.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Very important OP update is complete.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Just FYI I'm in a fully upgraded MR armor set with pieces from Elder Dragons and I still get hit for over 60% of my health bar. It just comes with the territory.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Neo_Crimson posted:

Just FYI I'm in a fully upgraded MR armor set with pieces from Elder Dragons and I still get hit for over 60% of my health bar. It just comes with the territory.

If you want to make things more comfortable, you can equip the absolute petalace, eat for the dango bird caller skill in the level 4 slot, and pick up some green and orange spiribirds on your way to the monster. You can end up with some beefy health and defense.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Ideally I want to be able to live through two hits so I don't have to heal after every single gently caress up.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Slotting in some defense decos in the 1-slots has made MR a bit more manageable, but further in things kinda start hitting like a truck no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Check this out.