Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
3 picks for Georgiev lmbo Colorado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

There is no chance in hell Letang will actually play six more years. He'll be LTIR'd for good by the end of the 4th year or just retired and his cap hit will be offloaded on the Coyotes as per the ancient and honored tradition.

e: actually probably not, by then the Penguins will be selling their cap space to other teams, not the reverse

It doesn't matter if he does or doesn't. If he plays his final years and they suck, whatever. If he doesn't and they suck, whatever. They're gonna suck either way.

bub spank posted:

e: Removed a stupid question. Assuming Malkin signs, though, how do they fit all of this under the cap?

They have 15 million or so in cap space left. They have 9 forwards, 7 d, and 2 goalies signed. They can easily fit Malkin and fill out the roster. Fitting Malkin and Rakell may be difficult

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 7, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Just give Malkin the same thing they gave Letang.

Sadly though I don't think Geno is interested in returning to Pittsburgh, unless they are actually the highest bidder by far.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

King St has a bunch of nice restaurants but the HHOF is near the financial district so it's not particularly touristy.

Need to stress this because I've talked to a few tourists that have fallen into this trap, the immediate area and directly north of Union/the HHOF is just endless office towers and concrete jungle, you shouldn't just wander around that area without a plan cause it ain't great. If you want to do other touristy things or find live music, breweries/bars, or food that's worthwhile you gotta be prepared to take transit and move around.

Dubas would never do something that stu-

*sees that Matt Murray played for the Soo Greyhounds*

fuuuuuuuck

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/JoyOnBroad/status/1545088408447598593?t=44CQj2_A3Nx19VGjjW2oSQ&s=19

ffs

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1545088209272672256?s=20&t=ck3S74VnF5k9QKhryuifTQ
This is straight up designed to be a retire and dump

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Lol. I hope Letang age catches up to him

God damnit Murray, this would have owned

I guess Avs are not bringing back Kuemper?

Ugh

:sigh:

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the penguins' window is already closed. there are folks coming to hammer 2x4s over top of em

e: whoops there were more posts to read

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I guess Avs are not bringing back Kuemper?

I bet the Devils are in on him

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I'm guessing Kuemper is looking for Matt Murray or Grubauer type of money, and good luck to whoever signs him for that.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

As a Sabres fan I’m pretty sad this deal didn’t go through.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
a bit surprised the Avs didn't get it done with Kuemper but hey it is what it is. Sakic clearly wants to keep it cheap between the pipes because the forechecking in front will prevent shots from getting there. I think Kuemper was underrated especially post-getting his eye nearly taken out but if he was too expensive it's good that it'll be put into other areas especially with the MacKinnon contract coming up

wonder if it's the difference that leads to a Kadri deal gets done or not. probably not though

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
Matt Murray's making bigger saves for the Senators off the ice than he ever has on the ice.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There was lots of hand wringing when the Avs let Grubauer walk and signed Kuemper for less. Then Kuemper missed a round and played the rest of the playoffs functionally blind in one eye. The Avs nevertheless won the Cup. Now they're letting Kuemper walk and getting someone else for less. There's lots of hand wringing.

A lot of people (including most NHL GMs it seems) continue to refuse to believe that above a certain minimum threshold of competence, goalies don't matter.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Nice!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

There was lots of hand wringing when the Avs let Grubauer walk and signed Kuemper for less. Then Kuemper missed a round and played the rest of the playoffs functionally blind in one eye. The Avs nevertheless won the Cup. Now they're letting Kuemper walk and getting someone else for less. There's lots of hand wringing.

A lot of people (including most NHL GMs it seems) continue to refuse to believe that above a certain minimum threshold of competence, goalies don't matter.

I propose we call this the "Domingue threshold"

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Krime posted:

Looking at being there from 24th - 27th.
Have you booked yet? Caribana https://www.caribanatoronto.com/ starts the 28th so there might be additional travellers coming in early for hotels/flights.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Lol what?

Lol what?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is not 100% true in goalies, but it’s only like what, 3-5 goalies who move the need;e once you get past competent ?

Shesterkin, Helly, Vasi, Sauros….am I missing anyone ?

If you aren’t one of those few , then yeah, competence is the main thing.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1545106198088785922?t=UWgrIZlR0e3XlYlHF_MPig&s=19

You just gave Letang six years.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, but they legit need Letang. Malkin is absolutely more replaceable than Letang, the defense market sucks this summer, and Malkin’s stats have been not good for what, 3 years now?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Colorado is a great fit for him (and like any goalie). He's not going to bail you out a ton, but he is perfectly capable of being a league-average and possibly good goalie if he gets his head on straight. Would not be surprised to see him put up like a solid .918 next year. He's wanted to be a starter for a while. Good to see us getting 3 picks out of it. Very curious to see who we go with next year. Igor said he wants to play more games, but he's small and has had some injuries the last couple of years. I wouldn't mind Kinkaid, but I'd be surprised if the Rangers FO thinks the same. If we do stick with Kinkaid, I would extremely hope we don't trade our first until the deadline. If Igor gets hurt, we could absolutely be in the running for Bedard and baby, I'm here for that. We're owed a cold envelope again.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i loving hate the philadelphia flyers

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The thing with Georgie is if he's your consistent starter, he's fine. If he's in a backup situation or a quick rotation he sucks rear end. There's almost no in between with him.

Still can't believe Drury basically recovered all the picks they sent out for Vatrano/Motte/Braun from a backup goalie they almost had to let walk for nothing.

I'm still pissed about the Buch trade but Drury has done a pretty drat good job so far post trade deadline and into this off-season.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, but they legit need Letang. Malkin is absolutely more replaceable than Letang, the defense market sucks this summer, and Malkin’s stats have been not good for what, 3 years now?

His 5v5 play has been a liability in 3 of the last 4. How much having the 2nd choice of the bargain basement wingers and JMFJ/Matheson behind him on defense vs Letang who knows. Free agency for replacing Malkin is also questionable considering it's either Kadri or Trocheck as available options. I think LeBrun was passed along basically the same thing in regards to Letang 'The Penguins will go no further than 3 years.' or something like that. So wonder if both sides have a dollar amount agreed upon and it's just about hashing out AAV and structure along with bonus vs salary and all that.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Eric the Mauve posted:

They don't matter if your team is good. But they do matter if you're not! So if you're closer to the middle part of the bell curve, GMs seem to still find value in fishing for a good one, even if the odds are not in their favor.

The Avs are fine without an elite goalie, but do the Rangers make the ECF without Shesterkin? I really doubt it. Good luck getting a Shesterkin though.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

on the eve of the most important off-season in recent Oilers memory GM Ken Holland has promoted his son to assistant GM

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

He was a PPG last year and had 20 goals. The issue with him is his 5v5 play has slipped defensively.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

The Golden Man posted:

on the eve of the most important off-season in recent Oilers memory GM Ken Holland has promoted his son to assistant GM

hahahahahaha

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

The Golden Man posted:

Who own the Oilers?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Fits right in with Coffey, Keith Gretzky and that other Messier if he's still around

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
you guys laugh but supposedly the younger Holland is like.. the one reform force in the organization oddly enough. The word is that he is a big proponent of creating a proper analytics department and changing the way that team operates.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Kinda wild that last year’s Calder runner-up (goalie) got traded, then this year’s SC winner (goalie) is likely not getting re-signed.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

The Golden Man posted:

Very Special Boy Advising

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/ByScottPowers/status/1545115903381028864

https://twitter.com/johndietzdh/status/1545107181225353217

Come to Butt-head.

If Jarmo flips #12 (his own pick) to Chicago...and somehow winds up with Dach AND Chicago's 1st...he really does need to be investigated as to if he's a Bond villain.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
blackhawks trading all their recent first rounders for more picks/bad players is really funny

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Starsfan posted:

you guys laugh but supposedly the younger Holland is like.. the one reform force in the organization oddly enough. The word is that he is a big proponent of creating a proper analytics department and changing the way that team operates.

And did he get this job because of his forward thinking mindset or some other reason?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Looking forward to utter chaos like Dach for Kakko.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

eXXon posted:

Looking forward to utter chaos like Dach for Kakko.

Please no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Joe Sakic hates drafting. Avs only have a 6th and 7th this year, 1st, 5th, 6th, and 7th next year, and 1st, 4th, 6th and 7th in 2024.

For this year the 1st was for Darcy Kuemper, second was Devon Toews, third was today's Georgiev deal, fourth was getting Patrik Nemeth as a rental last year (booooooo), and 5th was also part of today's Georgiev deal