Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
There are a lot of third generation wrestlers, depending on your definitions

Randy Orton (Bob Orton Jr, Bob Orton Sr.)
Tessa Blanchard (Joe Blanchard, Tully Blanchard)
Lance Anoa'i (Afa, Samu)
Joe Hennig (Larry Hennig, Curt Hennig)
Brett & Ted Dibiase Jr. (Iron Mike Dibiase adopted Ted Dibiase Sr. when he was 4)
The Rock (Peter Maivia as a maternal grandfather, Rocky Johnson)
Bray Wyatt and Bo Dallas (Blackjack Mulligan as a maternal grandfather, Mike Rotunda)
Natalya (Stu Hart as maternal grandfather, Jim Neidhart)
Davey Boy Smith Jr. (Stu Hart as maternal grandfather, Davey Boy Smith)
Nick Wayne (Moondog Moretti as maternal grandfather, Buddy Wayne)

I think David Finlay's grandfather or great grandfather was a referee not a wrestler, but it's still four generations in wrestling. The Anoa'is are a lot of third/fourth generations if you add in promoters, same with Shane and Stephanie McMahon. This isn't even getting into Mexico and Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Barry Bluejeans posted:

The von Erichs are third generation now, with Ross and Marshall wrestling in MLW and Lacey having had her stint in TNA.

The Guerreros also count with both Chavo Jr. and Shaul (Eddie and Vicki's daughter).

David Finley is also third generation. His dad and grandfather also wrestled.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Diabolik900 posted:

Bill Watts. I’m far from an expert on the territories, but from everything I’ve heard, he would be in the running for the title of best booker based on his work in the 80s. He was definitely a bit out of touch by the time he was put in charge of WCW though.

Watt's UWF from start to finish is fantastic. My stepdad called it "the REAL 'rasslin" when we first saw it and I believed that for a while.

Aren't the Villanos in the 4th gen now?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

I think David Finlay's grandfather or great grandfather was a referee not a wrestler, but it's still four generations in wrestling.

TY for the info.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jesus David Finley might be 4th generation

From wikipedia about Fit Finley:
Both Finlay's father, David "Dave" Finlay Sr., and his grandfather were professional wrestlers, and his sister was a referee. His uncle, Albert, was a goalkeeper for Glentoran FC in the 1960s and 1970s. Finlay was previously married to his former manager, Princess Paula.[7] He is currently married to Melanie (Mel) Duffin and has three children, the eldest of whom, David, was born in Germany.[6]

His children are all wrestlers. The oldest, David, made his professional wrestling debut on 22 December 2012 and is now wrestling for New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW) and Ring of Honor (ROH). David is a former IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Champion.[89] His daughter has won the Georgia State championship.[citation needed] The family resides in Atlanta, Georgia, United States.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

read the room

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

So was Eric Bischoff good and then turned bad or was the good stuff that happened under him attributed to something else?
He found something that worked, and then just kept running it into the ground. Some would argue that he became a mark for the manager-workers he was hanging out with and ultimately himself, which led to stuff like Road Wild and his DQ victory over Vince McMahon, Jr.

Edit: I'm less critical of the mistakes Bischoff made in his early career. It was a chaotic time, wrestling was becoming more consolidated but also stuck in the past, and he was willing to make bold moves.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 7, 2022

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

He found something that worked, and then just kept running it into the ground. Some would argue that he became a mark for the manager-workers he was hanging out with and ultimately himself, which led to stuff like Road Wild and his DQ victory over Vince McMahon, Jr.

This is exactly how I would describe it too

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Cavauro posted:

read the room

How could I read a room? Rooms aren't books Cav!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i hosed up bad this time. it's over.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shard posted:

How could I read a room? Rooms aren't books Cav!

Some have posters on the walls tho

Or could have things written directly one them!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Some have posters on the walls tho

Or could have things written directly one them!

hosed up

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

pretty sure excalibur specifically corrected jr on commentary during the finlay aew match and said hes 4th generation

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

He Got Four Of Em! this isn't a real quote, so read it the way dusty rhodes said he got a bicycle, if you want to. that's what i would do

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What's the highest "generation" of wrestlers a family has gotten to? Pretty sure there's several third generation I just can't think of them.
Piggybacking on this: Ishin Iihashi in Dragongate is promoted as their first ever "thoroughbred" because both his parents were pro wrestlers, and his father Ishinriki is still active and retiring in September.

1) What are some examples of wrestlers whose parents are/were both wrestlers, and
2) out of those, who has at least one parent who is/was still active during their kids' careers?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

If the Rock's daughter's legs stop exploding, she'll be a fourth-generation wrestler.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

sticklefifer posted:

Piggybacking on this: Ishin Iihashi in Dragongate is promoted as their first ever "thoroughbred" because both his parents were pro wrestlers, and his father Ishinriki is still active and retiring in September.

1) What are some examples of wrestlers whose parents are/were both wrestlers, and
2) out of those, who has at least one parent who is/was still active during their kids' careers?

Paige (Sweet Saraya and "Rowdy" Ricky Knight), due to injury she wound up retired before her mum did.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CombineThresher posted:

Yeah, Bill was out of his element in 1990s WCW and was hamstrung by that company's inane bureaucracy, but he was also a stupid rear end in a top hat who cared more about thumbing his nose at the corporates than doing his actual job. He also paid like poo poo and tanked locker room morale, in addition to being a bigot. He isn't the worst booker ever because at least he ran one very successful territory, but his WCW run was a disaster.

Although one rule that sounded bad to me I was surprised to hear Dave Prazak from SHIMMER applaud, which was "everybody sticks around until the end." Dave said "Yeah, absolutely the younger and underneath guys should watch the matches and learn a thing or two from the on top guys."" Everything else was not so good, like once upon a time heels used top rope moves to get heat because they were illegal but that was like in the days of Ray Stevens.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Cavauro posted:

He Got Four Of Em! this isn't a real quote, so read it the way dusty rhodes said he got a bicycle, if you want to. that's what i would do

what do you mean what happened what are you blind? jesus! there was four of em! it took four of em!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

Although one rule that sounded bad to me I was surprised to hear Dave Prazak from SHIMMER applaud, which was "everybody sticks around until the end." Dave said "Yeah, absolutely the younger and underneath guys should watch the matches and learn a thing or two from the on top guys."" Everything else was not so good, like once upon a time heels used top rope moves to get heat because they were illegal but that was like in the days of Ray Stevens.

The problem with making people stick around was that you had to drive to the next city and getting an extra hour or two of driving was huge.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Dory Funk, Dory Funk Jr., Dory Funk III didn’t wrestle, Dory Funk IV is training.

Also apparently the Rougeau family.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Whose title reign has damaged a title more than anyone else? Doesn't need to be a top title.

My vote is David Arquette in WCW.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Breetai posted:

Whose title reign has damaged a title more than anyone else? Doesn't need to be a top title.

Naito with the IWGP IC title

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

sammy tnt title

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Oklahoma as the WCW Cruiserwight Champion

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the wcw cruiserweight title actually died after rey mysterio lost it to lenny lane. the last good champion to hold it was awarded the belt out of nowhere (psychosis) and then disco inferno won it that same day and it was just a joke belt. lance storm briefly revived it as being worth mentioning. but not as a standalone thing. and that's my story

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Breetai posted:

It's this. That was the moment where, amongst everything Russo or the Sullivan/Nash/Whatever years where it was clear in WCW that the belt, the TOP belt, was seen as a joke and a prop. It drove people to WWF, because it took them a few years more to completley show they didn't know what belts meant either during the philosophy of nonsense than the man makes the belt not the belt makes the man.

WWE's version of this I still argue was Jinder Mahal, as that was the same feeling of "this does not matter" and then AEW saved us.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Fujita and the IWGP Heavyweight Championship? People boo'd when they did the title lineage honour roll and his name and picture popped up.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Lid posted:

It's this. That was the moment where, amongst everything Russo or the Sullivan/Nash/Whatever years where it was clear in WCW that the belt, the TOP belt, was seen as a joke and a prop. It drove people to WWF, because it took them a few years more to completley show they didn't know what belts meant either during the philosophy of nonsense than the man makes the belt not the belt makes the man.

WWE's version of this I still argue was Jinder Mahal, as that was the same feeling of "this does not matter" and then AEW saved us.

There's a world where Jinder's run could have been interesting because immediately elevating a jobber like that is a chance most companies should try every once in a while to see who can rise to the occasion and mix things up. The problem was he was made to look like a loser who could only win with the same distraction interference finish every time and WWE's only interest in the story was a misguided attempt to make money in India.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Elevating a jobber is not the same thing as what they did with Jinder, and more tellingly usually an elevation of a jobber is based on organic response as well as working their way up the ranks. You know who was a jobber that worked up to where they got based on fan reaction and ended up the champion? Pentagon Jr. in Lucha Underground. Jinder had nothing approaching that, and as you said it was a fraud because he could not work a match worth a lick, relied on beating people that the fans supported more (Shinsuke Nakamura most notably, who never recovered what little he had in WWE), and yes it was an attempt to try and get India support because youtube numbers were so big.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

The problem with making people stick around was that you had to drive to the next city and getting an extra hour or two of driving was huge.

Admittedly while Mick Foley had no problems with Watts - Watts really dug him if folks recall - he did think that the Cowboy liked to keep wrestlers miserable as part of some weird natural order of things.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Seams posted:

Naito with the IWGP IC title

Yeah, it's this

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
It's hard to overstate how inorganic and dumb the Jinder Mahal main event push was on television.

Jinder Mahal ended his first WWE run as the lowest ranked 3 Man Band member, exiting the company after jobbing to El Torito in ninety seconds in May 2014

Jinder came back in the summer of 2016, squashing his old bandmate Heath Slater in 14 seconds. After that big debut he lost to Neville, Sami Zayn, and Darren Young before getting a quick pinfall victory over Jack Swagger in one of Swagger's last televised WWE matches. He then spent the last three months of 2016 off Raw except for a Halloween Battle Royal and losing another 3 minute match to Sami Zayn, but Jinder was looking noticably more vascular and brolic in that sole December match.

2017 opened up with Jinder and Rusev forming an Evil Foreigner heel tag team that went 1-4 with their only victory being an handicap match against Big Cass. Jinder got his first ever singles PPV match at Fastlane 2017, losing quickly to Cesaro after botched interference from Rusev. He got something almost resembling a 'push' (or at least an angle?) when he got beat up by Rob Gronkowski and Mojo Rawley during the pre-show Battle Royal, and then getting beaten up and losing a singles match to Mojo Rawley afterwards. Jinder also jobbed to Roman Reigns, Sami Zayn, and Finn Balor in under three minutes in the spring of 2017.

The week after Mojo took out Jinder in under three minutes, Jinder won a "six pack challenge" #1 contender's match thanks to constant interference from the debuting Singh Brothers, who were not part of the match. In the three week build to his coronation, he also picked up singles victories against Sami Zayn and AJ Styles after constant interference from the Singh Brothers distracted his opponents long enough for him to hit his finisher.

At Backlash, barely a month after getting squashed by Mojo Rawley in his Smackdown debut, Jinder Mahal picked up his first ever PPV victory when constant interference from the Singh Brothers distracted Randy Orton long enough for Jinder to hit his finisher and win the title.

The following month, Randy Orton got his rematch, in which constant interference from the Singh Brothers distracted Orton long enough for Jinder to hit his finish and retain the title.

The month after that in a PUNJABI PRISON MATCH, constant interference from the Singh Brothers distracted Orton long enough for Great Khali to lumber to the ring and start choking out Orton, which allowed Jinder to run out of the door and retain the title.

Having thoroughly beaten Orton, Jinder turned his attention to making racist jokes about Shinsuke Nakamura. This led to a match at Summerslam where constant interference from the Singh Brothers distracted Nakamura long enough for Jinder to hit his finish and retain the title.

All this constant Singh Brothers interference earned Nakamura a rematch the following month, and after constant interference from the Singh Brothers for most of the match, the referee ejected the Singh Brothers. They came back, which distracted the referee long enough for Mahal to try to run out through the crowd for a countout loss. Nakamura followed him back in, but the distraction of chasing Jinder down and throwing him back into the ring distracted Nakamura long enough for Jinder to hit his finish and retain the title.

This brings us to Survivor Series, which was advertised as Champion vs. Champion, Brock Lesnar vs. Jinder Mahal. Plus, WWE's big Tour of India was in December, that was clearly the whole reason they did this big Jinder push! Brock Lesnar (and various people backstage) realized that Lesnar vs. Mahal was going to suck poo poo, so three weeks before SS on a pre-taped UK Smackdown show, they had an impromptu title match where constant Singh Brothers interference distracted AJ long enough for Jinder to his his finish and AJ got his foot on the rope. Then AJ hit his finisher and ended the Reign of Jinder Mahal.

AJ beat Jinder in a rematch in December, where constant Singh Brothers interference once again was not enough for Jinder to win. Jinder did go on that India tour, but lost clean to Triple H and got pointed at post-match, which is almost like being world champion.

Jinder eventually bounced back, using constant Singh Brothers interference to win the US Title from Randy Orton at Wrestlemania 34 in what was to be his final PPV victory to date. Three weeks later Jeff Hardy beat him for the US belt at the first Saudi Blood Money show. In the summer of 2018, Jinder got a PPV match against Roman Reigns, which he lost despite constant Singh Brothers interference, and inexplicably went over fifteen minutes and resulted in tons of chants for CM Punk.

Through this year and a half, no one got over, nothing was accomplished, if anything it actively harmed pretty much every wrestler involved, including Jinder. There was no build to the giant push, they pulled the plug before they even did the one thing that was the stated reason for the push to begin with, and Jinder faded into obscurity within months of the push evaporating.

I am not saying that WWE could do worse, but it would be a feat even for 2022 Vince.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

SG Bamboo posted:

Yeah, it's this

Why was it bad? I don't watch njpw

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Shard posted:

Why was it bad? I don't watch njpw

The story was that Naito hated the Intercontinental belt as it symbolised his failure to become a true main eventer as the Stardust Genius before he went to Mexico and reinvented himself (as well as Tanahashi, who was holding the belt when the main event of Wrestle Kingdom 8 was stolen from Naito). So when he actually won the belt he treated it with contempt, kicking it around as well as throwing it directly into the ring steps. Naito did the most damage to the belt since he literally broke the thing multiple times

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 8, 2022

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

SG Bamboo posted:

The story was that Naito hated the Intercontinental belt as it symbolised his failure to become a true main eventer as the Stardust Genius before he went to Mexico and reinvented himself (as well as Tanahashi, who was holding the belt when the main event of Wrestle Kingdom 8 was stolen from Naito). So when he actually won the belt he treated it with contempt, kicking it around as well as throwing it directly into the ring steps. Naito did the most damage to the belt since he literally broke the thing multiple times

This is cool, I've always wondered if there's ever been a champ who took no pride in the belt and treated it with their disdain publicly.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
To be fair to Jinder they elevated him during that world title run so now he’s paired with dancing Shanky

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Wow, great write up. I'd read a book of this with each chapter dedicated to a different wrestler.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i will say that while literally yes naito damaged the gently caress out of that belt, figuratively the IC belt was still a really good belt and im still mad NJPW unified it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It wouldn’t be so bad if the unified belt wasn’t the ugliest active belt in all of wrestling