Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I have a macroscopic penis :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Electric Wrigglies posted:

And to be fair, from the article linked, it was not a sharpie on a line but a lot of research that defined a specific size at which particles deeply penetrate the lungs (5 um being the effective size for mucus membrane filtration) which was important for TB because TB needs to get all the way to the bottom of the lungs to be infectious.

In summary, the issue is both bigger (droplet vs aerosol was based on a completely different disease) and smaller (covid behaves like a droplet nearly the entire time so the point is academic) - masks do work for covid, they don't work for measles.

What on earth are you talking about? Cloth masks or something?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
The friend I hung out with yesterday tested positive later in the day. I think we spent about 10 minutes in relatively close contact maskless, though in a relatively well-ventilated space. Where can I find the current best & most up to date info on the basics (how soon to test after exposure, which tests are best, how long to quarantine, etc.)?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

HolHorsejob posted:

The friend I hung out with yesterday tested positive later in the day. I think we spent about 10 minutes in relatively close contact maskless, though in a relatively well-ventilated space. Where can I find the current best & most up to date info on the basics (how soon to test after exposure, which tests are best, how long to quarantine, etc.)?

Here's the relevant CDC page

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Dick Trauma posted:

Yet another coworker got COVID, returned to work after a week away. He talked about how terrible the fever was, and the relentless coughing that followed it. He told me that he regretted letting his guard down and not wearing a mask. He's wearing one now, so I'm not the only one.

By the afternoon he'd stopped wearing his mask. :smith:

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

By the afternoon he'd stopped wearing his mask. :smith:

COVID causes mild memory loss

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
My co-worker spent 3 months bleeding uncontrollably from the navel and the vagina due to covid loving with the bloodthinners that were meant to fight off covid forming clots in her lungs, temporary bouts of amnesia, vertigo and damned near died of pneumonia twice and still has brain fog from getting covid in the beginning of the Delta surge. She JUST got healthy enough to return to work about a week ago.

She hasn't worn a mask a day in her life at the office.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
That's some, ah... specific medical information to hear from a co-worker. :dogstare:

I can only assume you know all this because of a series of very awkward lunchroom conversations you couldn't escape.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Ya know those midwestern middle aged ladies with Really Loud Voices who can't help but bitch about every little ailment that comes their way to the open air in case someone who just might be interested hears about it?

Not so much a 'conversation' as 'unescapable monologue'

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

killer_robot posted:

Ya know those midwestern middle aged ladies with Really Loud Voices who can't help but bitch about every little ailment that comes their way to the open air in case someone who just might be interested hears about it?

Not so much a 'conversation' as 'unescapable monologue'

So she's also a super spreader.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I pretty much stopped following Rona around April as it seemed that we will be down to double-digit cases like every past summer.

Surprise, motherfucker! In the meantime all restrictions have been removed. Cool, cool.

Are there any new vaccines on the horizon? Or just another dose of the same one the only option? Tbh I don't even know if our government is even offering a fourth dose now. No masks to be seen anywhere of course and even our very cautious company is returning to the office (though it's not really mandatory for now as far I can tell)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

I pretty much stopped following Rona around April as it seemed that we will be down to double-digit cases like every past summer.

Surprise, motherfucker! In the meantime all restrictions have been removed. Cool, cool.

Are there any new vaccines on the horizon? Or just another dose of the same one the only option? Tbh I don't even know if our government is even offering a fourth dose now. No masks to be seen anywhere of course and even our very cautious company is returning to the office (though it's not really mandatory for now as far I can tell)

Novavax is a traditional non-MRNA vaccine that has shown good results. Might work on your antivax relatives though I doubt it they’ll find something else wrong with it. They’re working on an omicron version for fall. Both Pfizer and Moderna have omicron boosters coming out in the fall, though whether they’ll be approved for everyone or just the 50+ crowd is unknown. You may also have to pay for them as there’s no more government money for Covid stuff.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

killer_robot posted:

My co-worker spent 3 months bleeding uncontrollably from the navel and the vagina due to covid loving with the bloodthinners that were meant to fight off covid forming clots in her lungs, temporary bouts of amnesia, vertigo and damned near died of pneumonia twice and still has brain fog from getting covid in the beginning of the Delta surge. She JUST got healthy enough to return to work about a week ago.

She hasn't worn a mask a day in her life at the office.

My most anti-vaxx coworker, and her anti-vaxx husband caught COVID just after Christmas. He was in the ICU for at least a month and needs supplemental oxygen now. Do you think she wears a mask or got vaccinated now? Nope! They don't care. They don't care when they've seen the effects themselves. They don't care when it's happened to them. I need everyone who still thinks we have a chance to control COVID in a democratic society to understand that, because otherwise you're going to get very frustrated.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

mobby_6kl posted:

Dunno who you're referencing with "our government" but the mRNA vaccine companies have been testing variant-specific boosters and plan to roll them out this fall.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

mobby_6kl posted:

Lol wtf is that x-axis supposed to be showing? Graphs ain't poo poo without labels.

Edit - haha, dates. Still stand by leaving labels on graphs...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Lol wtf is that x-axis supposed to be showing? Graphs ain't poo poo without labels.

Edit - haha, dates. Still stand by leaving labels on graphs...
Yeah it's dates and # of cases. The labels weren't in English so I cropped them together with other crap that was in the infographic since they'd be pretty useless.

Fritz the Horse posted:

Dunno who you're referencing with "our government" but the mRNA vaccine companies have been testing variant-specific boosters and plan to roll them out this fall.
EU and our national governments

Oracle posted:

Novavax is a traditional non-MRNA vaccine that has shown good results. Might work on your antivax relatives though I doubt it they’ll find something else wrong with it. They’re working on an omicron version for fall. Both Pfizer and Moderna have omicron boosters coming out in the fall, though whether they’ll be approved for everyone or just the 50+ crowd is unknown. You may also have to pay for them as there’s no more government money for Covid stuff.
Half of my millenial friends still haven't vaccinated so I doubt a different type of vaccine will help there. good to know there's another option though, thanks.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah we've had novavax for a good while now in the EU and the vaccination numbers haven't budged at all.

Guess what, most people who said they'd totally take a vaccine if they had a more traditional choice besides mRNA or vector, were lying. It was just an excuse.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Yeah we've had novavax for a good while now in the EU and the vaccination numbers haven't budged at all.

Guess what, most people who said they'd totally take a vaccine if they had a more traditional choice besides mRNA or vector, were lying. It was just an excuse.

My aunt probably would she was terrified of both covid and the MRNA vaccines (probably thanks to my chud antivax sister filling her head full of bullshit). But she's the only one I can think of.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

jetz0r posted:

So she's also a super spreader.

Surprisingly, for being a hotel in the middle of a major tourist town where a good 50-75 percent of the work force are J1 students who all live 4 to a room, if not more depending on the hotel they're hooked up at, and work throughout the entire town, and me being the only person the office who wore a mask. We've.. only had one outbreak of corona in our office. Killed the origin in less than a week, knocked that lady out, did a number on a frail 70 year old woman who bounced back fairly quickly and .. sniffles and loss of taste for 4 or 5 other people that all resolved themselves within a few days to a month.

Oh, and one 24 year old former marine who got out on medical after breaking his hip in martial art practice who ended up on a heart monitor for a bit.

We've been damningly lucky.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

spankmeister posted:

Yeah this is exactly the same as my uncle, he even said he was specifically waiting for Novavax and hasn't done poo poo for an entire year.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Oracle posted:

My aunt probably would she was terrified of both covid and the MRNA vaccines (probably thanks to my chud antivax sister filling her head full of bullshit). But she's the only one I can think of.

There's a small but very real contingent of people with allergies who've had to avoid the MRNA vaxes. My husband would love to get vaccinated but can't, so everybody going around like COVID doesn't exist anymore has really done a number on his mental health.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Fighting Trousers posted:

There's a small but very real contingent of people with allergies who've had to avoid the MRNA vaxes. My husband would love to get vaccinated but can't, so everybody going around like COVID doesn't exist anymore has really done a number on his mental health.

What about J&J? It's no longer available now but what's the reason he didn't get it back then?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

spankmeister posted:

What about J&J? It's no longer available now but what's the reason he didn't get it back then?

He got J&J, but its efficacy is poo poo, and he can't get boosted.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

He got J&J, but its efficacy is poo poo, and he can't get boosted.

That is incredibly lovely. :(

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Blitter posted:

What on earth are you talking about? Cloth masks or something?

I'm on about how breathless the thread has been about the travesty that some scientist so many decades ago based his aerosol/droplet research upon mucus membranes for a pathogen (TB) that requires deep penetration into the lungs. Yes, there is a scale from big droplet to small droplet (as opposed to two distinct behaviors), no the WHO was not wrong to recommend to treat covid like a droplet based disease that it for the most part behaves like.

CDC and WHO are not there to save individuals, they are there to make demographic recommendations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I'm on about how breathless the thread has been about the travesty that some scientist so many decades ago based his aerosol/droplet research upon mucus membranes for a pathogen (TB) that requires deep penetration into the lungs. Yes, there is a scale from big droplet to small droplet (as opposed to two distinct behaviors), no the WHO was not wrong to recommend to treat covid like a droplet based disease that it for the most part behaves like.

CDC and WHO are not there to save individuals, they are there to make demographic recommendations.

I think the problem is that they drew a line in the sand based on one guys research 60 years ago, and haven't bothered to refine things since then. And that research was done in the shadow of "miasma theory bad, hygiene theory good, and the idea of pathogens being airborne reminds us of miasma theory so we don't like it". And everybody since then has read the 5 micron number in their school textbooks and treated it as a fundamental constant, like a=a.

The fact is that the research applies to TB. We simply don't know if that 5 micron number applies generally because it has not been researched yet. It should be. That TB research is not a firm foundation for future public health recommendations.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Preprint that I've only just skimmed, but seems to be reassuring with respect to severe reinfections:
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.07.06.22277306v1

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Clouseau posted:

Great question. No idea. Until we have a handle on treatment of long covid I suppose! I've already had covid, I can deal with being sick a week or two every wave, but I'm not terribly interested in opening up myself to the risk of disability when our safety net sucks poo poo.

Anecdotal evidence etc etc but almost everyone I know has had covid at this point and the only person with any long term effects at all is my dipshit hippie friend who didn't get vaxxed and now has had their sense of taste hosed up since they got it. Everyone else was vaccinated by the time they got it and were fine.

droll posted:

I feel bad for workers that have no choice but to dangerously serve extroverts because the system has failed. Extroverts can meet outside, or meet in a club hall where everyone consents and there's no wage slaves who have no choice but to expose themselves to a rapidly evolving novel virus that we still don't understand lest they starve and become homeless. Nobody forces extroverts to go to a restaurant indoors to socialize. gently caress the extroverts, though I do acknowledge that they're not being given all the correct information by the failed system to make informed choices.

Wanting to go out to eat occasionally doesn't make you an extrovert holy poo poo

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Alctel posted:

Wanting to go out to eat occasionally doesn't make you an extrovert holy poo poo

Who said it does? I didn't. Read the thread. You're mad at something nobody said.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Extrovert / Introvert is a really weird way to classify COVID risk tolerance. Way to feed into the "introverts only like restrictions because they can justify staying in their basement" bullshit.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

droll posted:

I feel bad for workers that have no choice but to dangerously serve extroverts because the system has failed.

Alctel posted:

droll posted:

Who said it does? I didn't. Read the thread. You're mad at something nobody said.

I can't tell if this is intentional gaslighting or just really dumb.

Anyway, the remaining shut-ins that populate SA COVID threads might not like it, but welcome to the new normal. As a vaccinated person, rejoin society and risk a likely mild illness or essentially disconnect socially from everyone and everything forever and keep spiraling into agoraphobia.

So, once again (NYC stats):

When every adult is vaccinated

Even with several thousand new cases per day

The hospitalization and death rate is incredibly marginal

Also, the worries / unpublished articles about Long COVID really need to specify unvaccinated or vaccinated status and establish how long symptoms truly are. From what I've seen, "Long COVID" for the vaccinated who caught the Omicron variant, the vast majority of the time it's less than a month of an array of vague symptoms or normal fatigue following an illness. There are a few horror stories I've seen, but we're at the point where the majority of America has had COVID.

MadJackal fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 9, 2022

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
This is bizarre. Both of you keep quoting me and the quotes clearly do not back up your assertion that I wrote "going to a restaurant occasionally makes someone an extrovert". Absolutely bizarre.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

droll posted:

This is bizarre. Both of you keep quoting me and the quotes clearly do not back up your assertion that I wrote "going to a restaurant occasionally makes someone an extrovert". Absolutely bizarre.

Ngl, when I first read that back and forth it really did seem like you were implying that only extroverts go out to eat.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

MadJackal posted:

I can't tell if this is intentional gaslighting or just really dumb.

Anyway, the remaining shut-ins that populate SA COVID threads might not like it, but welcome to the new normal. As a vaccinated person, rejoin society and risk a likely mild illness or essentially disconnect socially from everyone and everything forever and keep spiraling into agoraphobia.

So, once again (NYC stats):

When every adult is vaccinated

Even with several thousand new cases per day

The hospitalization and death rate is incredibly marginal

Also, the worries / unpublished articles about Long COVID really need to specify unvaccinated or vaccinated status and establish how long symptoms truly are. From what I've seen, "Long COVID" for the vaccinated who caught the Omicron variant, the vast majority of the time it's less than a month of an array of vague symptoms or normal fatigue following an illness. There are a few horror stories I've seen, but we're at the point where the majority of America has had COVID.

Why did he get a probation for this?

Edit: and I must say that, without the insults, I agree with

quote:

As a vaccinated person, rejoin society and risk a likely mild illness or essentially disconnect socially from everyone and everything forever and keep spiraling into agoraphobia.

I also think that people are overly neurotic about the disease (I absolutely cannot identify with people who are deadly afraid of indoor-dining, holy poo poo). I (belonging to a group of people and family with 95%+ vaccinated people) can only observe that everybody has returned to their normal lives, nobody wears masks, most of the vaccinated people got once or twice corona, nothing bad happened to those people. This includes people in their 70's and 80's in my family. It is not extraordinary anymore. It is not dramatic at personal level. Some can be unlucky, but it is a tiny minority.

You might say "well you haven't got anybody vulnerable in your surroundings", I do! I have someone in my family undergoing chemotherapy. So, whenever we meet, we take all the precautions 2020-style. Masks, testing, good air circulation. And it works out.

AndreTheGiantBoned fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 11, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

You might say "well you haven't got anybody vulnerable in your surroundings", I do! I have someone in my family undergoing chemotherapy. So, whenever we meet, we take all the precautions 2020-style. Masks, testing, good air circulation. And it works out.

I think online communities such as this one tend to be a bit biased in terms of concerns for specifically young vulnerable people. My mum was treated for cancer during the pandemic, one of my best friends needs medication that suppresses his immune system, and without taking insane risks, they definitely gave less fucks than me.

My friend has outlived every known male member of his family, and he basically said "gently caress it, I could die of 'old age' any time and it wouldn't be a particular shock, I'm not going avoid the things I enjoy in my life to maybe live a bit longer, when the downside is... something else gets me, and I've spent the last years of my life doing nothing and hiding in my apartment." Does he wear a mask when out and about and it's not an imposition to do so? Yes. Does he dine indoors regularly? Absolutely!

We live in a riskier world for everyone than we did pre-COVID. I don't think it's necessarily wrong to accept that and get on with things at this point. It's also not wrong to say "well, long COVID is a risk, I don't want to take those risks for myself personally" but you're gonna have a gently caress of a time getting everyone else on board with that. Grieve for the old world; it's dead now, it's gone, nothing we can do individually or collectively will bring it back.

I still avoid indoor dining (mostly, but not entirely) and large events (again, mostly but not entirely) and I wear my mask in any situation where it's reasonably easy to do so, I think that's the best balance for me personally, but I accept that other people have different viewpoints based on different circumstances, and I don't get to impose my views on them, and they don't get to impose their views on me.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
COVID threads are always, 100%, "yell at an invented strawman of a ridiculous extreme stereotype of what the other person is saying".

Anyone who suggests masking is a mentally ill shut in who will never leave their apartment again.

Anyone who suggests maybe sometimes go to a restaurant if it's an important event is suck and loving at Denny's nightly.

MadJackal's post rubbed me personally the wrong way because as far as I can tell, to a one, no one has said that eating at a patio or doing outdoor activities with friends is too risky for the average person, or that people should avoid leaving their houses altogether.. Maybe in early 2021 that happened. Many people HAVE repeatedly posted that they're able to maintain solid social lives by taking precautions like that.

And "I try to do less risky social activities" is a FAR cry from being an agoraphobic shut in.

quote:

Try to consider that some people posting in this thread may be in the same situation as your family member, so indoor dining might be a significant risk for them.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 11, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think the other aspect is: in real life, in person-to-person interactions, no one cares. No one ever talks about the fact I'm taking, in their opinion, too many precautions or too few precautions, or anything like that. When I took months off work between November 2020 and being vaccinated in 2021, no one said poo poo other than "oh, you're back now" when I returned.

I think regardless of your opinion on what's the right way to do things going forward, internet-based discussions have been toxic as gently caress on this subject in every direction. Have I been a part of that at times? Yeah, definitely -- and particularly when I wasn't leaving the house and interacting with actual people on a regular basis!

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Everybody is wrong about everything except me

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Everybody is wrong about everything, ESPECIALLY me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Most people quote death statistics, but that's not what has me concerned. When I got it (was vaccinated at the time I got it) I was coughing for four months, and got winded easily for six. I can't tell if I have fully recovered or just gotten used to being some small percentage debilitated. I'd like to avoid rolling the dice on getting it again and permanently losing my sense of smell/taste. I'm young-ish, in reasonable health, it's not going to kill me; but suffering reduced capacity for... years? The rest of my life? idk. It doesn't have much appeal to it.