Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A usb c extension? Because that seems like a terrible idea tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Looks like the cyberpunk cat game will be Deck Verified.

https://twitter.com/A_i/status/1545198497376284672

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Anno posted:

Looks like the cyberpunk cat game will be Deck Verified.

https://twitter.com/A_i/status/1545198497376284672

I was actually searching if it was gonna be just an hour ago

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MarcusSA posted:

A usb c extension? Because that seems like a terrible idea tbh

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Ryuga Death posted:

Does a power bank have to output at least 45W to be a good fit for the deck? I don't fully understand all the power stuff, but the deck tech specs say it has an input of 45w and I'm seeing an Anker battery pack that is listed as delivering 20w. That's bad, right?

A 45w bank will charge the deck while playing games. A 20w bank like several others I have will still help battery life and will charge the deck when it's not in use, but will still (more slowly) discharge while playing. If that is what you have, it's worth using, but if you're buying one just for the deck, get a 45w or higher. I got this one for $23 with one of those clicky coupons and it's worked great for both the Deck and phones.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I see the two usb-c ports but is the bottom hole for apple devices?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SerCypher posted:

I've been basically only using my deck to play switch games so far.

How has the performance been for the titles you've played?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

DrManiac posted:

Anybody have a longer charger to recommend? The one keeps getting pulled out of the outlet and none of my regular usb adapters are powerful enough to charge the deck

I already commented about this on the Discord:

https://discord.com/channels/988548614894805032/988548615536513066/989422497206247464

Disappointing Pie posted:

Anyone tried a switch charger? I’m always nervous using that charger because i think the switch has some weird power requirements.

It'll work fine. The Switch supports PD 2.0 up to 15 V and just has a weird 39 W OEM PSU because that's what the dock looks for to do video output.

minusX posted:

They used a PD requirement that while standard, isn't used everywhere so in some cases stuff caused too much draw and was frying switches. The charger itself is fine and not going to cause any issues.

I haven't heard about that being an issue any time recently and don't think there was ever a satisfactory explanation. What was happening was that a 3rd-party dock in particular apparently caused an IC in the Switch to fry during an update, at least according to a video Jon from Spawn Wave published a couple of years ago. Again, I don't think it's anything to worry about nowadays. I use my Switch exclusively with random, non-OEM power supplies and it's fine.

Tibbeh posted:

Not to double post, but anyone got a recommendation for a good 1 TB SD card?

Just get the cheapest Sandisk. You can splurge for the slightly more expensive A2-rated one if you really want to. Wait for Prime Day sales though.

Ryuga Death posted:

What's a good power bank for the deck? Just got my email in.

Ryuga Death posted:

Does a power bank have to output at least 45W to be a good fit for the deck? I don't fully understand all the power stuff, but the deck tech specs say it has an input of 45w and I'm seeing an Anker battery pack that is listed as delivering 20w. That's bad, right?

You need 45 W output to fully replace the Dreck's OEM PSU, but it should still charge more slowly with a lower output (say, 30 W.) Note that the 45 W rating is the maximum draw for operating the Dreck and recharging it; if the Dreck's battery is charged, it doesn't need that much power to operate it.

So you'd probably want something with more than 20 W output like the Anker you found (a link to it would help) but should probably still work if it outputs 15 & 20 V. Beyond that the most important other factor is capacity; the energy of the battery pack (measured in W h, watt hours,) determines how long it'll power the connected device(s.) A 50 W h battery would output for about an hour if the Dreck was drawing ~45 W, nominally, for example. That SAFUEL one that was linked is a pretty good deal with the coupon; it only has a ~55 W h capacity but the price makes it a good starter bank.

Beyond that, this or this have higher capacities and have been good deals with their respective coupons and frequent price drops (check 3Camels.) Again, wait for Prime Day for deals, it's less than a week away.

Rinkles posted:

Fast charging degrades the battery more, right?

The overheating problem has already been mentioned, but I'll reiterate another point: you want to avoid deep-cycling Lithium secondary cells. In other words, going from 100 to 0 to 100% over and over again is worse than operating within a 20-80% window. The battery will normally charge fastest until it approaches capacity, anyway, so you don't really have to be as concerned about that.

I don't know what the hell that SSD is, I'd just go for one of the name-brand OEM pulls on eBay, ~512 GB for ~$50. The SD card is fine, but wait for Prime Day.

SerCypher posted:

btw anyone find a silicon case or something they like?

Some one mentioned the razer grip tape but I'm worried it will leave a residue.

My hands don't really get sweaty but holding the thing does get awkward after a few hours. The xbox elite controller has sort of a grippy surface I really like and trying to replicate it.

I got this one, it seems fine, there are others very similar to it, and it fits within the original carrying case.

This is honestly the best retort to the "my original PSU isn't long enough but I'm not aware that there are ones that let you supply your own cable of the desired length" questions.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
With all this talk of Switch on Deck I'm tempted to move my Shin Megami Tensei 5 files over and see if I get on with it any better there. I've not really been happy with how it's run on the Switch hardware or on my 'big' PC but if I can pull it down to 30 on deck that might be a happy medium. It definitely felt CPU limited when I played it.

And that LTT video does a good job of hiding how much of a pain it is to move everything across from a Switch onto a PC - half the stuff I moved didn't actually work because I'd re-downloaded it fresh and I'd never authenticated it on that machine as it's my secondary one. 3DS was much easier when I worked out how to get saves off cartridges.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

parasyte posted:

Sometimes the battery controller gets in a state where it doesn't actually know what the battery charge is or should be. You can reset this by fully draining the battery until the battery itself cuts off power delivery.

Shut down the Steam Deck. Hold Volume+ and press the power button, then go to Setup. Unplug the charger if it's plugged in, and then let the Deck stay on this screen until it powers off by itself. Try to power it on without the charger to ensure it's fully discharged. Then plug the charger in, and boot up the Deck. It'll be at 1-5% battery life; keep it charging until it's full, at which point the battery controller should be recalibrated and you should be good to go.

As someone who worked with battery gas gauge chips professionally for a few years, this is insane if true. A total fuckup by amateurs. Modern gas gauges (assuming they used one, and didn't roll their own) shouldn't need a full discharge (or a full charge) to relearn the capacity, they should be smart enough to extrapolate the current full charge capacity based on 2 points (outside of the "knee" in the discharge curve) using built in knowledge of the cell + coloumb counting. Either they made some absolutely baffling errors in their design or they did their own laughably bad implementation.

edit: checked the teardown and it has a LiPo battery no gas gauge. great for consumer safety if you're not good enough to design property safety circuitry, bad for capacity and dumb as hell. fantastic.

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 8, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Buddy I haven’t even figured out where to put the gasoline much less read how much I have left

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Slanderer posted:

edit: checked the teardown and it has a LiPo battery no gas gauge. great for consumer safety if you're not good enough to design property safety circuitry, bad for capacity and dumb as hell. fantastic.

I can't speak to how these things are designed or should be but I know the procedure was given by Steam support before. They've also had people put the system into battery storage mode from setup. I'm presuming this electronically shuts off the battery and it'll only start when a charger is plugged in, so it's in a G3 ACPI state rather than S5 so the power draw from polling the power button and other housekeeping things doesn't drain the battery to the point where it can't charge any more during storage.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If you can watch an entire Linus Tech Tips video there is a step-by-step for playing your Switch games on your Deck.

https://youtu.be/oIYvPNtWZ34

Not embedding it of course.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

If you can watch an entire Linus Tech Tips
https://youtu.be/oIYvPNtWZ34

This is asking a lot if Linus himself is in the video for more than one minute

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
The chat about sandisk on amazon had me wondering. Did the fakes finally get cleaned up or is amazon still polluted with counterfeit sandisk microsd cards? The issue was that even though a seller might be selling counterfeits, amazon lumps them together with its own stock causing even direct amazon sold version to be a counterfeit as well.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How do you know if your SD card is counterfeit? Mine seems fine, and is the correct storage amount?

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

JuffoWup posted:

The chat about sandisk on amazon had me wondering. Did the fakes finally get cleaned up or is amazon still polluted with counterfeit sandisk microsd cards? The issue was that even though a seller might be selling counterfeits, amazon lumps them together with its own stock causing even direct amazon sold version to be a counterfeit as well.

That's correct. Amazon still co-mingles inventory. Your best bet is buying directly from Sandisk/Samsung.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

jokes posted:

How do you know if your SD card is counterfeit? Mine seems fine, and is the correct storage amount?

Use this: https://h2testw.en.lo4d.com/windows

Fake cards / USB sticks will report the correct amount, but don't actually have that much, so you have to test if you can actually write that much and then read it again to be sure.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tamba posted:

Use this: https://h2testw.en.lo4d.com/windows

Fake cards / USB sticks will report the correct amount, but don't actually have that much, so you have to test if you can actually write that much and then read it again to be sure.

What does it mean if you get one that has less storage than the advertised amount but reads correctly? I ordered a 512 off Amazon and it only had 470 gigs. Didn't care enough to return it but it was annoying.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

What does it mean if you get one that has less storage than the advertised amount but reads correctly? I ordered a 512 off Amazon and it only had 470 gigs. Didn't care enough to return it but it was annoying.

That's just formatting.

to be clearer:

Companies sell you things advertised in Bits

your computer displays information to you in bytes

after you have formatted the disk with a suitable container (the file system) the offset is the difference you're seeing. Some file systems have different structures and could technically hold more or less (slightly)

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 8, 2022

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I've been lurking this thread being high key jealous* and glad for you guys, so I don't have much to say, but I wanted to echo this post:

Skrill.exe posted:

That's correct. Amazon still co-mingles inventory. Your best bet is buying directly from Sandisk/Samsung.

This is what I learned the hard way. Whoops!

My experience tells me that you probably shouldn't buy any sort of memory from Amazon unless you're really out of options. I've recieved an enough amount of fakes to ever want to press my luck with them again.

*Note: I am not jealous of airport goon. OMG.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

No, that's normal and has been a thing forever because it means hard drive vendors can put a bigger number on the box.
The storage vendors say that 1 GB is 1000000000 bytes.
But computers actually calculate is as 1024*1024*1024*1024 = 1073741824 bytes.

And if you divide 512000000000 by 1073741824, you get 476,83, so they're both correct.

What a fake card will do is:
Show up as 512 (or 476 or whatever GB). Then you write 20 GB to it and everything works fine. Then you write another 20 GB to it and those work fine as well, but if you try to read the first 20 GB, you find that it'S broken, because the card was actually only 32 GB big, and started overwriting the oldest blocks once you got over that limit.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 8, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It's stupid, but everyone does it so everyone else does it too.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Also all storage these days says "actual useable capacity will be lower" on the packaging whether its built into a games console or removable storage to keep their lawyers happy.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte

more info on it here

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

I just got my deck and it seems really neat, but vibration seems pretty loud? A lot of the time it's fine, but the haptics from typing on the keyboard makes a noticeable noise, even when the volume is turned down. Rumble in games also sometimes causes a sort of high-pitched buzzing sound. It's not noticeable with headphones on, but it's very noticeable without them. Does anybody else's do this? Is it a normal thing, or should I try and get a replacement?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Any haptic setting above low will feels extremely weird/aggressive to me.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

veni veni veni posted:

The formatting and file system itself takes up some space on whatever storage media you're using. I'm most familiar with Windows-based file systems, not ext4 or whatever the distro of Linux on the Deck uses, but IIRC there's basically a map of all the sectors on the media stored at the front of the card, and the operating system uses this to look up where the data it wants is. This map takes up space on the card that obviously can't be used for anything else, or you literally lose data because the operating system doesn't know where to find it. A small "loss" of space like that is perfectly normal.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

While we're talking SD cards, what have people used to get files onto the ext4 formatted cards on their Windows machines?

I have the trial of Linux File Systems for Windows but while it appears to write to my card nothing actually ends up on it. I haven't been able to figure it what's going on yet.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Skrill.exe posted:

I haven't had any issues with SD cards from amazon recently; the fact that a couple years ago when I did get bum cards Amazon refunded no questions asked leads me to assume that the scam cards are consolidated more in the "if it's too good to be true it is" pricing range to hit people less likely to verify non-scam cards during the return window (but as always ymmv)

jokes posted:

In addition to the PC programs listed, Valve added a thing to the base steam deck OS recently to do the same check as part of formatting the card, so anything plugged into and formatted on a steam deck at this point can probably be considered a-ok

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

kdrudy posted:

While we're talking SD cards, what have people used to get files onto the ext4 formatted cards on their Windows machines?

I have the trial of Linux File Systems for Windows but while it appears to write to my card nothing actually ends up on it. I haven't been able to figure it what's going on yet.
Do you have your Deck yet? If so, you can use an external USB-C hard drive or (apparently) Warpinator/Winpinator to transfer files.

If not, it might be worth it to use Rufus to create a bootable Linux flash drive from an iso file to transfer.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

sigher posted:

How has the performance been for the titles you've played?

Pretty good, with a graphical glitch here and there.

It's not perfect but it's good enough to play.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just got mine in. I get a plasticky clicking sound when pressing down or left on the left trackpad. Is this common? The functionality and haptics seem fine otherwise.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

It's easy enough to open it and have a peek at the sticks, yeah?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

This thing is very cool

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

forest spirit posted:

It's easy enough to open it and have a peek at the sticks, yeah?

Ok it wasn't too bad to tear it down to the touchpad following this guide: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Steam+Deck+Left+Button+Board+Replacement/148931

I just unscrewed it, fiddled with the position a bit, and screwed it back in. No plastic clicks now. I think it had something to do with the ribbon cable underneath the trackpad being pressed onto the case.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

Do you have your Deck yet? If so, you can use an external USB-C hard drive or (apparently) Warpinator/Winpinator to transfer files.

If not, it might be worth it to use Rufus to create a bootable Linux flash drive from an iso file to transfer.

Went with Linux boot, I don't want to wait to transfer like 70 GB over my network. Working well that way.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ShaneB posted:

This thing is very cool

Yes, this is the way and the truth

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

kdrudy posted:

Went with Linux boot, I don't want to wait to transfer like 70 GB over my network. Working well that way.

To be completely honest, I want to try seeing how well my network can handle pushing the 90mbs a second the mSD card can likely max out at

It should be able to handle it, 1gbps is about 125mb/s

I think it'd saturate the local network completely trying to write to the internal ssd over wired. the USB-C connector is the 10gbit kind, so theoretically hooked up to a compatable dock that has a 10gbit ethernet cable (that's a bit harder of a matter) you'd run into the cap of the m.2 before the network.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

wizard2 posted:

*Note: I am not jealous of airport goon. OMG.

Airport goon checking in.

After arriving in my first city (this is a multi leg trip), between the wifi at the hotel at the wifi at the office I was able to get about 200 gigs of games downloaded from Steam.

My second flight, a long transoceanic one with a power outlet, just landed minutes ago. I played Deck the entire time (I can't sleep on airplanes).

Holy poo poo this thing owns bones. It can play FFVII Remake at 60fps! It's awesome for old classics like Geometry Wars! Desk Job was funny!

An absolutely perfect airplane companion, if you can keep the battery from going dry. I do not regret my travails on the road with this thing, was well worth bringing it despite the difficulties at first.

During the flight I smiled to myself when I realized the Deck has allowed me to join an elite and rare group: People who have played (emulated) Bomberman for the Sega Saturn on an airplane. lol.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 9, 2022