Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

James Caan died

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1545096189430972426

Which strip was it that kept using "The Ghost of James Caan" as a joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

EBB posted:

James Caan died

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1545096189430972426

Which strip was it that kept using "The Ghost of James Caan" as a joke?

Super Fun Pak Comix, I think

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Vikings

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

MockingQuantum posted:

Correct.

quote:

I mean, given Sonny had that dream about Ellen and seems to regard her as attractive, I don't think it's entirely platonic, it's just he's enough of an upstanding young man not to date a Selkie unless it's 100% consensual.

Also he was technically the one who took Ellen's skin, it's just Lottie hid it in his swimming kit.

Yeah, it's not platonic. I interpret it as confused, young-teenager awkwardness, and reasonably well-written in that regard.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

MockingQuantum posted:

indeed! thank you

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Oh man can someone dig up all the Ghost of James Caan strips? I really loved that extremely silly bit.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Vargo posted:

Oh man can someone dig up all the Ghost of James Caan strips? I really loved that extremely silly bit.

I have a few that I uploaded, but not all of them.

https://imgur.com/a/KIYRtev

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Sundae posted:

I would clear out a room just to collect all the weird pinball machines we see in this comic. They're so great.

I love them, but where is this kid finding them? I haven’t seen a wild pinball machine in years.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Correct thread!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Sundae posted:

I would clear out a room just to collect all the weird pinball machines we see in this comic. They're so great.

A few years ago Will Henry said he was trying to develop the character of Schwaps, the surfing hero on one of Wallace's pinabll machines, into its own thing. Doesn't seem like anything's come of that though.

Sundae posted:

I have a few that I uploaded, but not all of them.

https://imgur.com/a/KIYRtev

Thanks! These are all great!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Man Carlin killed Johnny there.

F Minus

Weird look for the lawyer.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"Batman! How dare you? I am a Star Wars fan!"

The Phantom

"Ah there are people behind me! Mozz even told me about them but still here I am! drat! Why didn't I listen to such a great and wise man!"

I like this bit.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

No, you're a honk.

Apartment 3-G

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

What the gently caress is happening here?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

every angle of this mary worth storyline has been extraordinarily skeevy

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's amazing to hear such a familiar voice and cadence but without the anger and a baby face.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

You know, logically it's obvious that at one time George Carlin was a young man, but dang it just never occured to me before.

jesusfugginchrist

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe one of those nunnery cells they seal themselves into for the rest of their lives.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Green Intern posted:

What the gently caress is happening here?

The smug, self-important former high school band director is imagining himself as an important general who is arguing with "the system" as personified by an old reel-to-reel.

I think.

Julet Esqu posted:

jesusfugginchrist

Oh wow they found a way to make this worse

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

JethroMcB posted:

The smug, self-important former high school band director is imagining himself as an important general who is arguing with "the system" as personified by an old reel-to-reel.

I very faintly recall the old-timey computer being a gag from the strip's early days, but I could easily be wrong.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Q-Rais Talks to Himself

--

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

I very faintly recall the old-timey computer being a gag from the strip's early days, but I could easily be wrong.

i feel like tombat is getting nostalgic for the silliness of pre first reboot funky but hes so far past that line none of it make any sense. he brought up the pizza djing recently too.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

He was being KIND and COMPASSIONATE, you flippy-haired old bitch. :mad:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I ran across this the other day and thought it fit here; I'm not enough of a Peanutsologist to know how accurate or complete it is:

Scary Gary

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

goatface posted:

Maybe one of those nunnery cells they seal themselves into for the rest of their lives.

"For the love of God, Nils!
Yes, for the love of God, Berniece"

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

this storyline has been awful since it began, but this one's just dragged it down to a new low. "hey girl who i met at the hospital while you were my patient after you dealt with some real harrowing domestic violence! i dumped my girlfriend for you, wanna go out? oh, you're nervous about running into your abusive ex? don't worry, i won't do anything to help you, you can keep me safe though!"

i would have said he was doing this on purpose if not for him, y'know, dumping his girlfriend to pursue this breach of ethics.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Bummer BCN-related news: Tommy died (aged 16). The accompanying photo on Georgia Dunn’s Twitter is amazing:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What a good cat. RIP.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
"Good boys are good. Bad boys are better. Tommy was the best of both."

RIP Admiral Thomas “Tommy” Whiskerstache.

Our Boarding House (May 25-27, 1922)

Toonerville Folks (August 11-13, 1919)

Dok's "Fun's Fun, But You Haven't Been In A Coal Mine Yet!" Duck (March 31, 1914)

Little Lefty (December 28-30, 1936)

I forgot to mark it when it actually happened, but we've come to the real-world crisis point in the history of Blondie (From Zero). The strip isn't catching on, the biggest indicator of which being The New York American unceremoniously dumping the dailies on April 8th (on a Thursday, just before Blondie dulls herself down to follow Dagwood on that ocean cruise). A change was called for, but Chic Young (who, you might remember, had an ownership stake in making this strip work) was obviously at a loss when it came to the question of what to change.

Which brings us to the current state of affairs: Young has tabled Dagwood and the Bumsteads for the time being, and they've been replaced by a traditionally handsome, blonde-haired misogynist. Hoo boy.

This is the longest storyline of the "flapper/playboy" era, and as we follow along, try and picture an alternate universe where this change of pace actually works out. Then see if you can picture it running for the next 90 years. (June 13-15, 1932)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 8, 2022

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Great faces all around in the final panel.

Old School Peanuts (Aug 19, 1953)

Bring back potato chips in a large can imo.

Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 2-3, 1991)

Big Nate

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Funny Online I Have To Pee For Some Inexplicable Reason

"I Can Reform The System From The Inside!" Fun-Time Comix

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

Like an idiot, I sat here for a good long time trying to figure out how shifting the letters one place got "It's Pizza Day" out of that. :suicide:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sundae posted:

Like an idiot, I sat here for a good long time trying to figure out how shifting the letters one place got "It's Pizza Day" out of that. :suicide:

I shifted them the wrong way and went through the whole dang thing before thinking "wait, that's still gibberish."

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

don Jaime posted:

I love them, but where is this kid finding them? I haven’t seen a wild pinball machine in years.

The problem is that they are expensive, take a lot of maintenance, and you can’t charge much per play. When I was a pinball tech, a $25 week earning would be fantastic. Meanwhile the Barbercut game next to it has a meh week if it earns $50. So unless you go to an arcade or pinball place specifically, you probably won’t find any.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Four years later George would grow out the hair and beard, drop the suit for jeans and t-shirts, and lose 90% of his audience. It took a couple of years and new management but he quickly regained a new audience.

Here he is back on Carson in 1971.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEY9PvT9aXI&t=50s

I love George, my first exposure to him was when I was about 11 and a friend stole his older brothers tape of "Class Clown" that had the seven dirty words bit on it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

Is this a re-draw of an OG Mandrake strip? I'm drat sure I remember seeing this in a non-Fredericks pen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

Absolutely the case.