Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

PerniciousKnid posted:

Also I can have sex in real life, so playing sexual characters seems redundant. I don't roleplay bowling, mowing or spreadsheeting either.

Okay jeez no need to thrust your good fortune in all our faces just because you won the eBay auction for that german bowling ball you can also gently caress. Outbid me by like 2 nanoseconds, ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That's also disingenuously worded. Murder hobos in fantasy settings are so far removed from "serial killers" as they exist in the real world that it's not even a fair comparison even if you reduce it down to that. If I sat down at a game with a modern real world setting and someone introduced and played their character as a serial killer I would definitely be weirded the gently caress out. Also the "every RPG" phrase is incredibly narrow sighted given the current landscape of games.

I find little reason to have a "Have Sex" move over a broader "Share Intimacy". It solves no problems and narrows down the narrative in a way that will almost certainly be used to make some players uncomfortable on purpose because of the dynamics that already exist in this hobby.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I also have so much sex that the act is as boring as working with spreadsheets.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

Also I can have sex in real life, so playing sexual characters seems redundant. I don't roleplay bowling, mowing or spreadsheeting either.

Yes but in game you can do it for free

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Runa posted:

Yes but in game you can do it for free

I'm glad someone here is finally bold enough to endorse pdf piracy.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Has anyone tried Hieronymous? Is it good? I'm in for the pdf but am thinking about getting the hardcopy if it's cool.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ominous Jazz posted:

What does it say about the hobby to be comfortable role-playing a wandering serial killer in every RPG but the idea of your post apocalyptic Hell person making an emotional and physical connection even though you don't have describe it past "you did it" gets everyone shy and apologetic?

What does it say about the hobby that a tabletop RPG game being The Writer/Game Master's Barely Disguised Fetish is a commonplace gaming horror story and meme?

And I'm not saying "sex" is a fetish, but I don't blame people for being guarded when they pull up a character sheet and there's a box on it that says "Special" and "When you have sex.. [x mechanical thing happens]." It's not hard to explain that this is a rare situation where it's handled tastefully and building in intentional ways towards the genre and prestige drama conceits Apocalypse World is trying to simulate.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Tulip posted:

My hypothesis is that the sex moves are not really Vincent's contribution but Meguey's. Partially this is based on Vincent himself saying that he finds sex at the table to be uncomfortable and that he's unwilling to RP sex with other players, but also by comparing writing credits - consider Mobile Frame Zero: Rapid Attack which has Vincent but no Meguey writing to Mobile Frame Zero: Firebrands, where Meguey has primary writing credits. And for all the blatant transgressiveness of Poison'd, sex plays a very minor role in it.

I suspect it's the other way around. I had the opportunity to talk with a lightly inebriated John Harper - who is part of that circle of friends - about the origins of Apocalypse World, and he described 1E as "Vincent's love letter to Meg." It's a game he wrote for her, and that first edition was Vincent alone, or nearly so: no one but Vincent has any credits for any part of 1E, and the book is dedicated "for Meguey - the rest of you are just lucky."

Meg is/was a sex ed teacher, and is entirely comfortable with those elements at the table, to the point where she's had convention panels solely dedicated to portraying emotional and physical intimacy in roleplaying (which are fantastic, and if you ever get the chance to attend one, do it). Even if Vincent is much more retiring, people often make or do things for their spouses which they're not fully comfortable with, as a gift or a compromise.

I can nth the recommendation for Burned Over for anyone who likes the idea of Apocalypse World, but gets squicked out by some of its elements. Burned Over was written (several times, until it eventually stuck) for the Baker House Band: the huge gang of kids and teens who rotated through the Baker household over the course of a decade and change, including their own children. Anyone with an interest in the history of the hobby would do well to read through Burned Over now, because some of those kids are going to be designers you'll hear about down the line, and I strongly suspect you'll be able to see the influence of Burned Over in their work.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Nuns with Guns posted:

What does it say about the hobby that a tabletop RPG game being The Writer/Game Master's Barely Disguised Fetish is a commonplace gaming horror story and meme?

And I'm not saying "sex" is a fetish, but I don't blame people for being guarded when they pull up a character sheet and there's a box on it that says "Special" and "When you have sex.. [x mechanical thing happens]." It's not hard to explain that this is a rare situation where it's handled tastefully and building in intentional ways towards the genre and prestige drama conceits Apocalypse World is trying to simulate.

This is valid, but it's interesting to me because I feel like AW is the opposite of all the thinly-veiled-fetish RPG content. I feel like fetish content tends to be stuff that's not labeled as sexual, and often will have elaborate lore justifications ("all the women in the world dress like this to fuel their magic / have to rub oil all over their bodies to channel fighting power / accept the Ritual of the Whizzard Forest as a rite of passage, it's NOT a sex thing") to barely veil it. Just saying "your characters can have sex, here's what happens when they do" and having those results be about emotional connection (or its explicit absence), in a game where all PCs are adult badasses, doesn't feel like it hits the same sort of illicit kink levels.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

^^^^ that's very good insight too tbh

Kestral posted:

I suspect it's the other way around. I had the opportunity to talk with a lightly inebriated John Harper - who is part of that circle of friends - about the origins of Apocalypse World, and he described 1E as "Vincent's love letter to Meg." It's a game he wrote for her, and that first edition was Vincent alone, or nearly so: no one but Vincent has any credits for any part of 1E, and the book is dedicated "for Meguey - the rest of you are just lucky."

Meg is/was a sex ed teacher, and is entirely comfortable with those elements at the table, to the point where she's had convention panels solely dedicated to portraying emotional and physical intimacy in roleplaying (which are fantastic, and if you ever get the chance to attend one, do it). Even if Vincent is much more retiring, people often make or do things for their spouses which they're not fully comfortable with, as a gift or a compromise.

I can nth the recommendation for Burned Over for anyone who likes the idea of Apocalypse World, but gets squicked out by some of its elements. Burned Over was written (several times, until it eventually stuck) for the Baker House Band: the huge gang of kids and teens who rotated through the Baker household over the course of a decade and change, including their own children. Anyone with an interest in the history of the hobby would do well to read through Burned Over now, because some of those kids are going to be designers you'll hear about down the line, and I strongly suspect you'll be able to see the influence of Burned Over in their work.

That is cool and good! Also makes my vague memory that she wasn't on 1st edition make more sense (I thought I had simply misremembered). I did know that Meg's very comfortable talking about sex in public. It's actually genuinely kind of interesting that RPG nerds are in a lot of ways similar to academic nerds, but the difference in how squeamish they are about anything around sex is a striking difference. Sexuality is a common discussion topic in social science classes, and its remarkable how fast you can get some teenagers to have a pretty neutral discussion about yonic symbolism or whatever.

PerniciousKnid posted:

A bowling league RPG sounds pretty promising tbh.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Antivehicular posted:

This is valid, but it's interesting to me because I feel like AW is the opposite of all the thinly-veiled-fetish RPG content. I feel like fetish content tends to be stuff that's not labeled as sexual, and often will have elaborate lore justifications ("all the women in the world dress like this to fuel their magic / have to rub oil all over their bodies to channel fighting power / accept the Ritual of the Whizzard Forest as a rite of passage, it's NOT a sex thing") to barely veil it. Just saying "your characters can have sex, here's what happens when they do" and having those results be about emotional connection (or its explicit absence), in a game where all PCs are adult badasses, doesn't feel like it hits the same sort of illicit kink levels.

I think there's a general leeriness around any sex-adjacent topics, but it was more fun to reference... was that a parody Buffy title card? I can't remember. There's certainly other recurring horrors that pop into TTRPGs like sexual assault that pop up for "shock" reasons instead of being someone's fetish.

I feel like if you read the AW book it's easier to understand why the Specials are there. Or well, infer at least, because there's a level of analysis the game wants you do make by studying each Playbook and analyzing what characterization choices are built into it that sheet (and PBTA more broadly) doesn't often articulate explicitly. But, players are also often passed playbooks and a move sheet with no further context, both because that's how most players approach new games and because PBTA games are designed to be handed out that way. Or they'll just quickly google up the game and find the playbook PDF because that's free and available online the word "sex" pops out there because the rest of the doc is pretty standard TTRPG stuff otherwise.

This does all get into dicey "this is a personal thing you should talk to your play group about" territory though because everyone's line is different here and yeah sex is a much more personal topic than the violence we've all been numbed to by broader pop culture.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I have seen a lot of people imply that Meg not being included in the credits for the first edition was some kind of offensive oversight, but I have never seen a definite answer for the discrepancy. The second edition is barely changed from the first; are the small changes hers and they decided to share credit? Was she doing labor on the first edition by being a sounding board for Vincent and he just not realizing that until later, or was she explicitly writing on it from the start and the decision to leave her off the cover was some kind of dumb branding thing? I don't really get it, but then again they're not obliged to explain, and it does not really matter.

Nuns with Guns posted:

This does all get into dicey "this is a personal thing you should talk to your play group about" territory though because everyone's line is different here

This is true for pretty much everything beyond hitting goblins on the head though.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 7, 2022

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I think the slight aversion to sex in RPGs is part of the point. One of the sillier grognard complaints about AW was that since sex moves tend to give power ups, an AW group should be a constant orgy as PCs power each other up. Especially the Gunlugger was a target for this, with their special move potentially giving both parties +1 forward, with the implication that everyone ought to have a quickie with the Gunlugger before doing anything difficult.

Thing is, nobody plays like that because it’s sex and nobody thinks that way. But if they were a completely free-love kind of person with no qualms at all, should they?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It's a role-playing game, they should do whatever is fun for the group.

Maybe the power gamers power game for a while and end up taking a step back to realise they've created a weird story about a gang that fucks to form voltron. Maybe they get bored with it and play a game with more space for mechanical optimisation.

Maybe the free love character meets with some interesting fallout from their actions, or forms a cult, or finds "the one". Maybe someone at the table isn't into it and touches the X card

Play to find out, use safety tools, don't expect every game to be right for every group. It's not the most exciting answer but I really don't think it's a problem with a universal solution

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I feel like a group that's fixated on getting the maximum +1s isn't going to get anything out of AW anyway, tbh

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Antivehicular posted:

I feel like a group that's fixated on getting the maximum +1s isn't going to get anything out of AW anyway, tbh

Perhaps. But I wasn't raising it as a problem with the game (I'm not always complaining about AW whenever I post about it ;) ) as much as an observation about the significance of sex. Even when "munchkin" players do play AW, they do not have their characters constantly shag in order to get the maximum +1s. On the other hand, if the special move was instead to just hug the Gunlugger then it's difficult to argue that not only "munchkin" players but most regular players would do it all the time. So the special significance of sex and the discomfort with it are arguably an intended part of the system.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://twitter.com/KamalaKaraA1/status/1545200831422676992?s=20&t=-ukxT-g_pNaqgd3FKDcGdA

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

its a good bundle, AW and Wanderhome are probably my 2nd and 3rd favorite rpgs of all time

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Tulip posted:

its a good bundle, AW and Wanderhome are probably my 2nd and 3rd favorite rpgs of all time

Yep, it's an amazing bundle. There a lot of good in it. I was shouting out my own game being in it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

thotsky posted:

I have seen a lot of people imply that Meg not being included in the credits for the first edition was some kind of offensive oversight, but I have never seen a definite answer for the discrepancy. The second edition is barely changed from the first; are the small changes hers and they decided to share credit? Was she doing labor on the first edition by being a sounding board for Vincent and he just not realizing that until later, or was she explicitly writing on it from the start and the decision to leave her off the cover was some kind of dumb branding thing? I don't really get it, but then again they're not obliged to explain, and it does not really matter.

?

Kestral posted:

I mean, you could just go by what the notoriously unreliable actual texts of the books and personal friends of the people involved have to say: that 1E was a gift done by Vincent as a solo project, and Meguey gets credit in 2E because 2E is the evolution of the game as she and Vincent played it with other people.

But how does that measure up against the completely ironclad random speculations of some stranger on the Internet? Obviously she was really left off the first game's credits out of spite.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

hyphz posted:

I think the slight aversion to sex in RPGs is part of the point. One of the sillier grognard complaints about AW was that since sex moves tend to give power ups, an AW group should be a constant orgy as PCs power each other up. Especially the Gunlugger was a target for this, with their special move potentially giving both parties +1 forward, with the implication that everyone ought to have a quickie with the Gunlugger before doing anything difficult.

Thing is, nobody plays like that because it’s sex and nobody thinks that way. But if they were a completely free-love kind of person with no qualms at all, should they?

That was a James Desborough thing, iirc, so I'd take it more as a disingenuous way to sandbag Apocalypse World any any sincere munchkin optimization attempt.

In any case, the Specials would come into play when it fits the story up to that point, and like I guess if you're in a group that's really down to visiting Pound Town in-game a lot, that's cool. I think in the kinds of stories Apocalypse World facilitates, they tend to be infrequent and often part of major story beats. It'd be hard to hit a point where you could form some kind of erogenous hoop snake, rolling thirstily across the blasted wastes, but go for it if the opportunity is there and everyone is game, I guess.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Time to play a combat-monkey Maestro D' who's constantly making food for the Gunlugger to get that sweet +1 without actually banging them, which is definitely pure optimization and not emergent storytelling about the tension between caretaking, intimacy, and violence in a hostile environment

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Antivehicular posted:

Time to play a combat-monkey Maestro D' who's constantly making food for the Gunlugger to get that sweet +1 without actually banging them, which is definitely pure optimization and not emergent storytelling about the tension between caretaking, intimacy, and violence in a hostile environment

more like a Gutlugger now

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nuns with Guns posted:

some kind of erogenous hoop snake, rolling thirstily across the blasted wastes

O thank god someone already did it.

Well done.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Xiahou Dun posted:

O thank god someone already did it.

Well done.

Just an incredible line

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Trad Games Chat: some kind of erogenous hoop snake, rolling thirstily across the blasted wastes

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Runa posted:

Trad Games Chat: some kind of erogenous hoop snake, rolling thirstily across the blasted wastes

Runa I'm not a Republic serial villain

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Runa I'm not a Republic serial villain

I'll hold this

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Runa posted:

:bravo:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Runa posted:

even AW shitposting is on a higher level...

rabidcowfromhell
Dec 27, 2004

Remember Iowa
Hopefully this is the right thread for this. I'm trying to remember a game I played as a kid back in the 90s. It came with a bunch of door-hanger signs that you'd put on various rooms in your house, and they'd be the rooms in the "dungeon" you were in. You'd put various monsters in the rooms. Most of the pieces were on circular cardboard disks. You'd get various items (weapons, etc) on other cardboard disks. There were notches and holes you'd line-up between the item and monster disks that would reveal various numbers to tell if you won the fight or not. You'd also get more items for successfully beating the various rooms. I wish I could remember more details, but it was so long ago :(

rabidcowfromhell fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 9, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That sounds neat! Never heard of it though.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Jewels In The Attic and it loving ruled: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/451534/jewels-attic

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

http://nerdhausgames.com/2020/03/jewels-in-the-attic/ yeah that sounds rad

rabidcowfromhell
Dec 27, 2004

Remember Iowa

Thank you!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Anyone around here playing the Lancer RPG? Is there a thread for it?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Anyone around here playing the Lancer RPG? Is there a thread for it?

Thread is here

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tarnop posted:

Thread is here

thanks!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Jenna Moran just announced a new game which seems substantially different from her past work, being explicitly rooted in material politics (the exact opposite of Chuubos. Nobilis, etc.).
https://twitter.com/JennaKMoran/status/1546681629547982848
https://twitter.com/JennaKMoran/status/1546682452491452416

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I actually convinced myself to continue reading Glitch today. What a nice surprise.