Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vietnamwees posted:

Resolved everything!? You know that Hawkins has a giant tear through it now, right??

:thejoke:

I need to go in and add 'mcbain' to the synonym words for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Away all Goats posted:

Must be nice to just fail upwards, and then when that doesn't work out, someone else gives you $300 million

They made an insanely successful and popular tv show, I would hardly call that failing upwards just because a few people on the internet disagreed with their creative descensions.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Oasx posted:

They made an insanely successful and popular tv show, I would hardly call that failing upwards just because a few people on the internet disagreed with their creative descensions.

lol the last season was pretty much hailed as one of the worst endings to a TV show and the showrunners get almost all the blame for it. It's so funny to see people talk about how "insanely popular" the show was, but then describe the vast majority of that audience (who thought the ending was bad) as "a few people on the internet" in the same breath.

GoT was a hugely successful show and when the showrunners ran out of material to adapt, they faceplanted harder than any other show in history- and these idiots admitted by the end that they were already looking to other projects instead of devoting their full attention to sticking the landing. The last few seasons had super high audience approval and the last season went down to like 50% approval. It was an unprecedented nosedive.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Khanstant posted:

well usually those episodes would have a beginning, middle, and end, and would take a reliable amount of time.

I hope Season 5 is a single 10-hour long episode.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Also wouldn't say that the GoT showrunners failed upwards, they just failed. They were open about wanting to finish GoT fast to do their "south won the civil war" series which got canned, after which they were offered Star Wars movies and that deal went south right after the last GoT season ended. One of them went on to make low budget Netflix movie about a high school metal band.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

I forget where I heard this, it might have been about that John Ritter sitcom he was making when he died.

This one actually ran longer without Ritter than with Ritter, so its probably this one.

Only memorable things about this show (8 Rules...) was that one episode where they got Ed O'Neill play Katey Sagal's ex-boyfriend.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

From what I've heard in a Duffer interview about the spinoff, it a) could be done without the Stranger Things name attached, b) might be developed during S5 but wouldn't be shot till after, and c) probably most importantly is so unimaginable that only Finn Wolfhard could guess what it would be. So anything we can guess, be it Dustin & Steve Comedy Hour, [Any Given Couple] Domestic Drama, or Mr. Clarke Explains the Universe, should not be it. I won't pretend I'm not intrigued, mildly at least.

LividLiquid posted:

Out of nowhere metaphor, but It's a lot like being polyamorous.

Are you sure it's completely out of nowhere? This season set up the show's first really huge love triangle, and while I'm dead first-instant-of-contemplating-it certain these characters will not be swingers, the way one boy can't handle his girlfriend without being handled by his stealth/not-boyfriend would be either, take your pick, funny if it weren't so pathetic or pathetic if it weren't so heartwarming. (I lean the latter, so hard.) Yes I quoted the Hamill Joker. Sue me. Vecna quotes or channels George Carlin.

Anyway, it took me an embarrassingly long time to realize the storybook romance train may actually be headed in a different direction than the inevitable-seeming destination it started with, and it's looking more and more like Eleven may be the one left at the station.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Netflix Morning Show with Vecna and Demogorgon, weather and off-studio segments by Mind Flayer.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I don’t know if I could handle a show like this set in the ‘90s. I was born in ‘80, so a lot of the authenticity is muzzy for me…but the ‘90 were my teenage years and holy poo poo, was that a bleak decade, but also peak X-Files, Vampire the Masquerade, Coast 2 Coast AM, etc.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Marsupial Ape posted:

I don’t know if I could handle a show like this set in the ‘90s. I was born in ‘80, so a lot of the authenticity is muzzy for me…but the ‘90 were my teenage years and holy poo poo, was that a bleak decade, but also peak X-Files, Vampire the Masquerade, Coast 2 Coast AM, etc.

I didn't watch x files, or play vampire the masquerade, but I listened to a lot of art Bell's insane ramblings as a kid being a night owl but having no TV in my bedroom.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

There Bias Two posted:

I also really liked this scene as well. I'm not quite sure why anyone actually likes Mike though. It just feels like they're obligated to include him because he used to be relevant to the show.

He doesn't actually do anything except tell Eleven he loves her and talk about her occasionally.

I liked that scene and thought it was fitting that Mike listens to his friend pour his heart out in a barely concealed speech, and Mike's just like "Hm yeah I am pretty great, thanks Will" and just blissfully stares out the window while his friend is sobbing next to him

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TOOT BOOT posted:

Man how did people make it through the days when shows had 24 episodes a season...

A typical 24-episode season of a one hour network TV series had a total running time of around 16 hours excluding ads. Stranger Things 4 has a total running time of slightly under 13 hours, but it all comes at once and in much larger chunks. To use a metaphor: it's easier to eat half a pound of meatballs by snacking throughout the day than it is to stuff a quarter pounder in your mouth all at once. [1]

[1] Disclaimer: size of goon mouth may vary.

Clear_Blue
May 29, 2007
Everybody wants to rule the world

LividLiquid posted:

They said at least three times that you can't touch the tendrils because all the Upside-Down creatures are one hive mind. That's everything we needed, for my money. This whole post wasn't about something you could've easily missed, though, so I hope you don't feel like I'm picking on you for including it to illustrate a point I'm making.

Oh no hard feelings, and I good point about the tendrils. I just assumed the tendrils were a 'special' entity because they literally atrach themselves to Vecna. I never got the impression that the same logic could apply tot demogorgons ( with MindFlayer particles in them).

Anyway, Mike sucks. Perhaps in S5 the writers could turn him in a mindcontrolled slave of Vecna or something. Just something different than 'I am El's boyfriend'.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Onomarchus posted:

From what I've heard in a Duffer interview about the spinoff, it a) could be done without the Stranger Things name attached, b) might be developed during S5 but wouldn't be shot till after, and c) probably most importantly is so unimaginable that only Finn Wolfhard could guess what it would be. So anything we can guess, be it Dustin & Steve Comedy Hour, [Any Given Couple] Domestic Drama, or Mr. Clarke Explains the Universe, should not be it. I won't pretend I'm not intrigued, mildly at least.

An adult Mike in 2022 slowly remembers the childhood battles that he and his friends had against a mysterious clown in 1990. Tim Curry voices the clown and 1990 Mike is played by Seth Green.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Nah, Seth Green would play 2022 Mike. Steph Curry would play the Clown in 1990.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Spin-off is Paul Reiser and Agent Stinson exploring their relationship in Mad About U(psideDown)

OR

Yuri comes to visit Cousin Hopper in Perfect Stranger Things

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Tender Bender posted:

I liked that scene and thought it was fitting that Mike listens to his friend pour his heart out in a barely concealed speech, and Mike's just like "Hm yeah I am pretty great, thanks Will" and just blissfully stares out the window while his friend is sobbing next to him

yeah that got a pretty big lol out of me when I realised that Mike wasn't actually going to notice the extremely obvious emotional turmoil one of his best friends was going through whilst talking to him. Mike sucks

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Isn’t it hinted at in season 2 or 3 that Mike knows Will’s gay when he straight up says something like “it’s not my fault you don’t like girls”?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Isn’t it hinted at in season 2 or 3 that Mike knows Will’s gay when he straight up says something like “it’s not my fault you don’t like girls”?

This and a couple f-bombs referring to Will when discussing how Lonnie treated him in season 1, but that could just be abusive deadbeat dad poo poo or retro foreshadowing.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Will can do so much better than Mike. And I mean in terms of best friends.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Spin off is clearly going to be Murray running an investigation agency a la “The Lone Gunmen” series, titled “Stranger Investigations.” An X-Files like spinoff set in the 90s.

Rotating cast including guest spots for whichever actors had their characters survive the show and aren’t too busy to appear.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Maroon Hawk posted:

This was more of us "the rest of us have hit puberty and you are falling behind" thing.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Narsham posted:

Spin off is clearly going to be Murray running an investigation agency a la “The Lone Gunmen” series, titled “Stranger Investigations.” An X-Files like spinoff set in the 90s.

Rotating cast including guest spots for whichever actors had their characters survive the show and aren’t too busy to appear.

Murray gets an offer he can't refuse from the FBI to investigate reports that make no sense and he's shackled with a no nonsense FBI medical doctor partner to keep him in check.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Murray in a Cobra Kai crossover as Kreese's very unhinged partner who breaks him out of jail and helps set up another karate school for All-Valley supremacy.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Just finished and man, Eddie. I wasn't of the era that this show is set but my older brother was, and he had a couple friends that were Eddie to a tee. Intense and subversive but silly and prone to adopting wayward souls like Jesus with the apostles. That ending really hurt.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Marsupial Ape posted:

Gonna be honest I don't think the show works as currently set up outside of the 80s. Nostalgia bait aside the underlying threat of nuclear war is the subtext for basically everything in that era which ties into everything from "government meddling with forces beyond their control" to "kids rebelling against a system that has foreclosed their future". The evolution of those themes into the sociocultural landscapes that defined the 90s (end of history), early 2000s (forever war), and the current era (let's call it hypernormalisation) don't really facilitate the kind of story the duffers apparently want to tell.

Not saying it's impossible, I just don't see it given what they've come up with so far. Could be interesting if they're willing to let go of some of the trappings of Stranger Things and resist the urge to do crossovers with the existing cast.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

UFOTacoMan posted:

He was listening to Master of Puppets on a walkman while learning to play it on an acoustic in the boat house.
That's why he was so stoked to finally play it on the electric guitar when the time came.

Huh I don't remember that, good bit of foreshadowing/attention to detail. Somebody in the production team looked up the album release date and at least tried to explain how he would know the song.

Dysgenesis posted:

I'm pretty sure there is but I'm too lazy to check.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEaSnmf1JwY

I'll admit they're a guilty pleasure of mine. Yeah it's the same half dozen jokes and catch phrases repeated ad nauseam, but Ryan has the charisma to pull it off most of the time.

The Twilight trilogy is probably my favorite run of meetings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E29RzEUGrs

Vietnamwees posted:

Resolved everything!? You know that Hawkins has a giant tear through it now, right??

:thejoke:
e:f,b!

e:

Der Kyhe posted:

Netflix Morning Show with Vecna and Demogorgon, weather and off-studio segments by Mind Flayer.

Make it a comedy/sketch show with recurring host bits and inventions like The Red Green Show and I'm on board!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaWhsBImvdo

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 8, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mat Cauthon posted:

Gonna be honest I don't think the show works as currently set up outside of the 80s. Nostalgia bait aside the underlying threat of nuclear war is the subtext for basically everything in that era which ties into everything from "government meddling with forces beyond their control" to "kids rebelling against a system that has foreclosed their future". The evolution of those themes into the sociocultural landscapes that defined the 90s (end of history), early 2000s (forever war), and the current era (let's call it hypernormalisation) don't really facilitate the kind of story the duffers apparently want to tell.

Not saying it's impossible, I just don't see it given what they've come up with so far. Could be interesting if they're willing to let go of some of the trappings of Stranger Things and resist the urge to do crossovers with the existing cast.

I would put money on a prequel set in 1980 or so, especially if the last season is set in or approaches 1989. It has to be something weird if nobody can guess it, though. Hopefully nothing with those season two A-Team van psychics in Philadelphia or wherever they were.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Takes No Damage posted:

Huh I don't remember that, good bit of foreshadowing/attention to detail. Somebody in the production team looked up the album release date and at least tried to explain how he would know the song.

Sorry I was making a joke/imagining a thing to explain it. Sometimes I don't post so good.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

I would put money on a prequel set in 1980 or so, especially if the last season is set in or approaches 1989. It has to be something weird if nobody can guess it, though. Hopefully nothing with those season two A-Team van psychics in Philadelphia or wherever they were.

That's the only backdoor pilot they have left, unless they want to do a Twin Peaksy police procedural with Hopper as the boozing town sheriff investigating something tangentially related while Brenner does his thing at the lab.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEaSnmf1JwY

I'll admit they're a guilty pleasure of mine. Yeah it's the same half dozen jokes and catch phrases repeated ad nauseam, but Ryan has the charisma to pull it off most of the time.

Alright, that was ok. I guess. I still fuckin hate those video thumbnails and he does have a very punchable face goddamn.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Takes No Damage posted:

Make it a comedy/sketch show with recurring host bits and inventions like The Red Green Show and I'm on board!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaWhsBImvdo

This is exactly what I had in mind for format; I tried to get the Mini-Dall-E to make me an illustration of "Mind Flayer tells the weather" but it didn't come up with anything funny.

Like in the Fast Show, every time the studio cuts to Mind Flayer in the weather/farmers market/fluff piece/interviews people at the mall it just is an image of MF looming over the place maliciously pointing at the red lightning storm/thunder rain/flake rain/river of fire, or people running away in horror, or that smaller corpse-version from S3 mutilating people in the said in-door place.

Demogorgon eats/attacks the guest at some point of the segment, sometimes at start, Vecna does bad standup as the 1st act and kills random members of the audience when he bombs. The cooking segment starts by demodogs/bats chasing a random victim to the stage... but it turns out rather normal set where Venca makes a nice drink or salad or something etc...

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 8, 2022

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Just finished the season and I feel the need to etch my thoughts somewhere online, sooo…

Overall, a good season. There were SO many individual moments that were ridiculously awesome. But, goddamn, do they need a better editor because it just felt like total overkill by the end. The episodes being all an hour+ long was a pretty big negative for me. They start and stop pretty much arbitrarily and ONLY function as part of a larger narrative, yet their endlessly frantic pacing, juggling a minimum of like five plots, and long run times made the entire season feel like the penultimate and final episodes rather a buildup to them. That also only made the final two episodes lose some of their impact since the frenetic pacing had already been at that level the whole time, and suddenly you have four more hours in two episodes tacked on to that.

It was exhausting. There were also so many superfluous moments and filler. It definitely felt like a director's cut. Or like, "we've got this huge budget and we're going to use every penny!". An hour, minimum, could have been trimmed off of the total run time and we'd have lost nothing, and it could have been easily reformatted into like 10 normal length episodes and a long finale. I would have much preferred if they had done this and also refrained from constantly juggling every plot until the final few episodes. For instance, have one early episode entirely focused on team California, the next on Hawkins, the next on Hopper/Joyce/Murray, etc. The way they handled it lessened the impact of each section for me since they never really had time to breathe. They also never really converged but instead all happened to do their big moment at the exact same time.

Not to poo poo all over it though. It was a lot of fun, but there's definitely a better, non-bloated version to be made.

Stray observations:

- The jock dude was set up as such a threat and then just dies inadvertently. The camera pans over him like "oh by the way he died!". Kinda weird. A scene with him seeing Lucas desperately trying to save and sobbing over Max would have been nice conclusion for his character so we know he realized he was wrong and that it cost him his life.
- I thought that for sure El's bully would return and either have some sort of redemption or El would choose to save her or something. Instead, she's out of the picture after El busts her face. Also weird.
- The cinematography this season was a huge step up from previous seasons. Nothing amazing, but competent and mostly cinematic instead of just functional.
- The sound design was top notch too, but they constantly did this annoying thing where the current scene ends on a cliffhanger - smash cut to another scene accompanied by a sound effect cranked all the way up like a door slamming or lever being pulled or something. They did this so drat much that it became distracting.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 8, 2022

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

- The jock dude was set up as such a threat and then just dies inadvertently. The camera pans over him like "oh by the way he died!". Kinda weird. A scene with him seeing Lucas desperately trying to save and sobbing over Max would have been nice conclusion for his character so we know he realized he was wrong and that it cost him his life.

Nah. gently caress that guy. The fact that his death is ignoble and meaningless is the only death he deserves. He IS a footnote. He thinks he is king poo poo but all he does is gently caress things up and then die like a useless turd.

Edit: In a way there's a parallel between him and Brenner. Both small meaningless men getting involved in things they can't understand and loving everything up because of it.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Nah. gently caress that guy. The fact that his death is ignoble and meaningless is the only death he deserves. He IS a footnote. He thinks he is king poo poo but all he does is gently caress things up and then die like a useless turd.

Edit: In a way there's a parallel between him and Brenner. Both small meaningless men getting involved in things they can't understand and loving everything up because of it.

Him, Brenner being back, the entire California crew subplot, arguably the Russia subplot and the El's bully were all symptoms of the same problem: too few edits since to me it looks like stuff was just added, never subtracted from the storyboard.

That entire bullying thing existed to show how unhappy and alien El feels without her powers, the entire California subplot existed so that the rest of the gang can be with a van on a certain place at certain time, and that hate pastor thing existed only to show jock assholes, who are the 80's stock stereotype for movies where the nerds are the heroes. The ones back at Hawkins did two home invasions and assaulted several people in front of witnesses, for crying out loud, and no adult bothered to take a note of that. They didn't have any idea how to use or write that bully squad out at either times, so they are just written out with a wet fart.

And that entire Russia-thing should have been mini series between seasons 3 and 4, scheduled so that when they manage to escape the prison the actual S4 is just a month away or so. There is no reason to involve Mike or anyone from Hawkins to set up that story.

And the entire California plot could be replaced by Mike, Will and Jonathan being brought as emotional support for El but locked up at arrival by Brenner for interfering with the process, they escape the place when the attack happens and power goes out, and steal a Humvee or government black van which they use to pick up El when she surfaces. For example the one Owens used to drive around with since it definitely was "off the system".

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 8, 2022

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
A spin-off series about the government agents who chase after the kids, get wasted by Ell, or get wasted by other government agents.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

too few edits since to me it looks like stuff was just added, never subtracted from the storyboard.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Overall, a good season. There were SO many individual moments that were ridiculously awesome. But, goddamn, do they need a better editor because it just felt like total overkill by the end.

Spot on. A lot of character moments are really good - Max's plot line, Will's talks at Mike and with Jonathan, Lucas being emotional. Beyond that though, the plotting seems like a bloated first draft with no consideration towards pacing. Nothing happens for five episodes, and then everything happens at once. The Hawkins plot is primary, and West Coast & Russian threads are contorted to match its length. Instead of any story beats happening in those B plots, they padded it with zany detours.

There's also a few unresolved narratives, and I'm hopeful they explore them more in S5. Satanic Panic is a great theme to delve into, especially considering the character hobbies and world mythos. But after the high school student sidelines the police at the town hall, what happened with those riled pedestrians? The gun store was crowded and a guy spots Erika? Seems ripe for squandering. .

They also need to find something to do with some of these secondary characters. Brett only existed as a vehicle for Joyce to have agency.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, another thing that bugged me - this season was so completely over the top and epic in scale compared to everything before it, that it REALLY felt like it was intended to be the last one, so when that "byyy the wayyy, it's noooot over yet!" moment came in the final moments (even though it was shown that Vecna wasn't killed), it was eye rolling rather than "oh boy I can't wait to see how this ends!" like I presume was the reaction they wanted. It reminds me of how Avengers: Endgame is very clearly intended to be an ultimate conclusion and they should have at least not put out any Marvel films for a few years, but instead they just immediately kept going with them.

DarkLich posted:

Spot on. A lot of character moments are really good - Max's plot line, Will's talks at Mike and with Jonathan, Lucas being emotional. Beyond that though, the plotting seems like a bloated first draft with no consideration towards pacing. Nothing happens for five episodes, and then everything happens at once. The Hawkins plot is primary, and West Coast & Russian threads are contorted to match its length. Instead of any story beats happening in those B plots, they padded it with zany detours.

The entire portion of Hopper in prison could have been one episode. Save it for like the 3rd to last episode like "oh, by the way, yes he's alive and here's what he's been up to!" but it was like there was some dictation that every OG character gets equal screentime every episode, so it was spliced throughout the season and Joyce had to have have something to do so that's also her adventure. It's like they were worried the audience would be bored with any full episode dedicated to one of the plotlines.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

CainFortea posted:

Based on everything he witnessed the guy was fully in the right to believe there was some satanic cult going on that killed his GF and was about to do the same to Max. Someone itt I think said it but I'd loved to have seen him realize towards the end they weren't lying and he teams up with the gang. Actually an ending where he has this realization and fights alongside Eddie and they both fight and die side by side would have been pretty cool, the head jock and the counter culture kid going out swinging together.

Count me in as someone who liked basically all the Russian stuff, but that was helped by having some fantastic characters in both Dmitri and Yuri. Honestly the biggest drag on the season was the West Coast crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Just Chamber posted:

Based on everything he witnessed the guy was fully in the right to believe there was some satanic cult going on that killed his GF and was about to do the same to Max.

No, he wasn't. He didn't SEE anything until he watched one of his team mates get lifted in the air and VECNAd. While the guy who he blames for this action is sitting in the boat freaking the gently caress out and very obviously not the cause of it.

The entire reason Chrissy went to Eddie for help was because jock guy didn't pay attention to her or was good at observing things.