Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm watching NHK WORLD-JAPAN News' live feed, and after some coverage of the Abe, they're just airing a cooking show now.

I mean, it would be foolish to let the meat go to waste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

okay, the captioning of this tweet is straight-up wrong

the commission to investigate and recover stolen Marcos wealth is the PCGG, the Presidential Commission on Good Government, which was established in February 1986 (right after Marcos's ouster)

the commission that Marcos abolished is the PACC, or the Presidential Anti-Corruption Commission, which was created by Rodrigo Duterte in 2017. Totally different.

the predecessor of the PACC was the VACC, or Volunteers for Crime and Corruption, which was a group founded in 1998 in response to a high-profile murder of a middle-class family. The patriarch of the family, who was away from the Philippines when his wife and children were killed, teamed up with one Dante Jimenez, a right-wing newspaper columnist, to form the VACC, and to use it to advocate for the reimposition of the death penalty

as the 2000s rolled along, the VACC, under Jimenez's leadership, was subsumed by the Duterte campaign machinery, and was used in various political hatchet jobs, whether in the form of alleging former President Benigno Aquino III of corruption, or of former Vice President Leni Robredo of corruption, or any other of Duterte's political enemies, of corruption

the PACC is basically the VACC given an official title and executive backing, and after Jimenez, leadership of the position was passed-on to one Greco Belgica, who is really no more than a far-right Christian dominionist

there wasn't a lot of value to the PACC, despite its nominal name, because it was never used for genuine investigations into corruption in the first place, and was instead just a cudgel wielded by Duterte whenever he wanted to stir up public outrage about the latest liberal or leftist that he wanted his base to attack

now, it may well be that Marcos did not abolish the PACC out of the goodness of his own heart, but it's also the case that it definitely is different from the PCGG, and because the PACC was never tasked with investigating stolen Marcos wealth in the first place, it's deliberately misleading to try and conflate the two

further reading:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_Commission_on_Good_Government
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vizconde_murders
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dante_Jimenez
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco_Belgica

thats just, like, your opinion man

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

exmarx posted:

abe sucked etc etc, but troops assassinating political figures generally isn't a great sign

what did abe to piss off a troop defense force civil servant?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Be a liberal

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

what did abe to piss off a troop defense force civil servant?

Abe significantly increased the role of Japan's military, removing the restriction against fighting wars overseas. We have no idea about the assassin's motive so far; it could have been that, or another major Abe policy, or some minor quibble that became a personal grudge.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Chamale posted:

We have no idea about the assassin's motive so far; it could have been that, or another major Abe policy, or some minor quibble that became a personal grudge.

putting my money on because he said the war in ukraine could have been prevented if they had backed off joining NATO, and the assassin was a gbs poster.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zodium posted:

putting my money on because he said the war in ukraine could have been prevented if they had backed off joining NATO, and the assassin was a gbs poster.

so that's why Captain Pegleg went radio silent

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Chamale posted:

Abe significantly increased the role of Japan's military, removing the restriction against fighting wars overseas. We have no idea about the assassin's motive so far; it could have been that, or another major Abe policy, or some minor quibble that became a personal grudge.
i'm going with an internal right-wing power struggle and conspiracy in the nippon kaigi just because it sounds like something that would happen

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

so that's why Captain Pegleg went radio silent

:nsavince:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I see this man got his revenge

https://twitter.com/MentalHeadline/status/1539670071177465857?s=20&t=cLegUOml4DCDBwjxxsq7DQ

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20220708/k10013707601000.html
shooter says he wanted to kill Abe but not for political reasons

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Malloc Voidstar posted:

was it because of unrequited love then?

Is this the part of the manga where the villian explains his overly convoluted reasoning for killing the whole village then everyone forgives him because he felt bad for what he did.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Jodie Foster again?!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Woke up at 4am and found out Abe is shot.

I saw a photo showing the distance between the shooter and Abe there was like close to 10 meter between them. The shotgun has to be totally homemade to not spread out. Anyway the timing is very weird to kill him now.

I also struggle to think of anything positive Abe did.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Has anyone checked on Jodie Foster?

Edit: drat you, gradenko_2000!

stephenthinkpad posted:

I saw a photo showing the distance between the shooter and Abe there was like close to 10 meter between them. The shotgun has to be totally homemade to not spread out. Anyway the timing is very weird to kill him now.

Shotguns aren't like that in real life. At 10 metres, a shotgun's pellets have hardly spread out at all.

Chamale has issued a correction as of 09:19 on Jul 8, 2022

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

NHK posted a very blurry video of the shooting: https://twitter.com/nhk_nw9/status/1545314331750965249 (not embedding)

stephenthinkpad posted:

The shotgun has to be totally homemade to not spread out.
Shotguns are effective out to like 40 meters at least. Actual ones I mean, not the pipe-and-tape special

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
shotguns are one of those things where we've been infested with gamer brainworms and think the effective range is a lot shorter than it actually is

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1545329386140090369

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Owned

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

abe, 67, dies after finally realizing his dream of rearming the nation

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
in case somebody asks for a more direct source

https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1545330619449999360?s=21&t=JcWm30EQZg0DHovu4IGFvw

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Shinzo Abe Lincoln

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
rest in peace big shinzo

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
well, other than that, how was the political rally mrs abe?

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

rest in peace big shinzo

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

shotguns are one of those things where we've been infested with gamer brainworms and think the effective range is a lot shorter than it actually is

lol this

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

:nsa:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

He just died? Wow, I didn't know that, I just- uh, you're telling me now for the first time. He lead an amazing life, what else can you say? He was an amazing man, whether you agreed or not, he was an amazing man, who lead an amazing life. I am actually sad to hear that. I am sad to hear that. Thank you very much.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm watching NHK WORLD-JAPAN News' live feed, and after some coverage of the Abe, they're just airing a cooking show now.

delicious

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

stephenthinkpad posted:

The thing that generally stops shotgun pellets from spreading is called choke. It is a narrowing of the barrel towards the end and comes in various degrees. A home made shotgun probably has no choke and thus will spread out the most. Unless it's firing solid slugs.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

He just died? Wow, I didn't know that, I just- uh, you're telling me now for the first time. He lead an amazing life, what else can you say? He was an amazing man, whether you agreed or not, he was an amazing man, who lead an amazing life. I am actually sad to hear that. I am sad to hear that. Thank you very much.

i just posted it because it quotes Nhk as a source

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gradenko_2000 posted:

goodbye, goodnight,

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
blue jean babyyyy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Steve Yun posted:

i just posted it because it quotes Nhk as a source

sorry that was not a dig at you I was making a Trump joke

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

tweets are not reliable sources. please stop amplifying and platforming dysinformatischka. user loses posting privileges for 3 blyats

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

say what you will about Shinzo Abe he simply wanted all of us to have sex and go raw RIP to a king

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
abe will rise like the sun and return to twitter

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

oh wait Shinzo Abe wasn’t prime minister when he got shot? makes sense that the shooter would be able to get so close to him then. lol I thought the prime minister of Japan got killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exo-
Dec 8, 2021

The guy who killed him was in the navy, had nothing against his ideology, but decided to kill him because he was dissatisfied with his performance.
In other words Abe failed to create the new Japanese empire and was disposed of.