Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

JohnClark posted:

Alrighty, who registered "antifafootsoldiers007@hotmail.com"? Come on, just own up to it.

https://twitter.com/AshevillePolice/status/1543718737072869376

Hotmail? So anyone under the age of 65.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

CuddleCryptid posted:

This is something you usually see out of people 50+ years old who was taught to type on typewriters so good for our greatest generation antifa.

My high school typing class was on a computer but this was in 1994 so two spaces after a period was still the norm. And it's ingrained in my brain now, I can't stop typing that way.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Twelve by Pies posted:

My high school typing class was on a computer but this was in 1994 so two spaces after a period was still the norm. And it's ingrained in my brain now, I can't stop typing that way.

My highschool typing class had this as the prescriptive norm, but a decade later so I had never used double post-period spaces.
Which meant after every sentence I would have to delete the first letter and go back and add a space. But of course deletes were monitored so in order to pass I had to type exactly the bare minimum of words and stop because 95WPM with deletes was a failure but 45 w/o was a pass.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
I did an 8 page research paper in 8th grade. We spent about 6 weeks on it.

When typing it up, I used a word processor in the classroom after school, because I didn't have a computer at home. It was 1996, and we were poor.

I thought the teacher said to put two spaces after every period if using the word processor. I thought wrong.

She marked me down one point for EACH AND EVERY TIME I used 2 spaces after a period, except for the three times I forgot.

Content: 95/100.
Research 95/100.
Grammar 50/100. Would have been a 98 otherwise, I think I had two misspellings.

Overall grade: B-. But, hey, if you hadn't misheard me the ONE TIME I MENTIONED IT, you would have got an A!

That will knock you out of 2 spaces after a period right quick!

(It will also destroy your confidence in your writing abilities and make you think your English teacher is a petty woman, and you'll still hate her a bit even at age 40, but that's not what's important.)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

We talking bout facists?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Upsidads posted:

We talking bout facists?

Nah we talking about the rebels. They are British loyalists by default

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

blackmet posted:

I did an 8 page research paper in 8th grade. We spent about 6 weeks on it.

When typing it up, I used a word processor in the classroom after school, because I didn't have a computer at home. It was 1996, and we were poor.

I thought the teacher said to put two spaces after every period if using the word processor. I thought wrong.

She marked me down one point for EACH AND EVERY TIME I used 2 spaces after a period, except for the three times I forgot.

Content: 95/100.
Research 95/100.
Grammar 50/100. Would have been a 98 otherwise, I think I had two misspellings.

Overall grade: B-. But, hey, if you hadn't misheard me the ONE TIME I MENTIONED IT, you would have got an A!

That will knock you out of 2 spaces after a period right quick!

(It will also destroy your confidence in your writing abilities and make you think your English teacher is a petty woman, and you'll still hate her a bit even at age 40, but that's not what's important.)

Your teacher was a loving dick

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

BiggerBoat posted:

Your teacher was a loving dick

They developed a lifelong grudge and an anxiety disorder from getting a B instead of an A on a single paper in middle school.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
It's silly, but at the same time the devil's in the details. Having the ability to follow directions is important. I'm sure the spacing after a period is overall irrelevant in of itself, but there's lots of things we preemptively think "what's the point, this doesn't matter" when it DOES in fact matter very much in the end.

Demonstrating your ability to understand the material and demonstrating your ability to listen and follow directions closely can overlap quite a bit. Leaning too hard on ability and not listening runs into problems later on.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Dienes posted:

They developed a lifelong grudge and an anxiety disorder from getting a B instead of an A on a single paper in middle school.

Lifelong grudge: Yes. Though she was actually a pretty good teacher outside of this.

Anxiety disorder: I have this as well, but this is maybe .005% of it.

Taking off a few points is reasonable. Taking off enough to move a paper from an A to a B- for an 8TH GRADER, is a dick move.

Ironically, one of my jobs is QA-ing letters people send to clients and pointing out things like "you made out the salutation to the entity instead of the people responsible for the entity,' and "you used an improper directional in the address line."

I have became my 8th grade English teacher.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Dienes posted:

Yeah, it's almost like our brains are still forming during that period and being poo poo on by rear end in a top hat authority figures can cause lasting harm. Wild.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dienes posted:

Haha, it's like they had the emotional development of a literal child. How embarrassing.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Got this great one via group text from the father-in-law. I'm sure this was entirely him.

quote:

So, I did the math....

In 2020 there were 930,160 abortions in the USA, 38% or 363,460 were black women.

229 Blacks, men or women were killed by police in the line of duty in the same period.

9,941 black on black murders were committed in 2020. Up from 7484 in 2019.

Maybe defunding abortion makes more sense than defunding the police.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I've done a lot of work in the printing industry and the double spacing after the punctuation is fairly ubiquitous in my circles so the idea of knocking off points on a test for doing that seems like a real dick move. The kind of jobs that this kid might be gunning for? The people in those positions still do the double space. Like this. <<<<------

And I've done a TON of find and replace work to get rid of it on files submitted by people that make a hell of a lot more money than I do. Bankers and government employees. Real estate brokers.

Now let's discuss the oxford comma.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BiggerBoat posted:

Now let's discuss the oxford comma.

Get bent old man!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The oxford comma best comma.

e: also old people still in business refusing to get with the times re: double spacing isn't making a point against the teacher trying to enforce that dumb poo poo out of their students.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
There's a debate out there about using double spaces after periods? That's still the standard in my job - I get items sent back if they don't have a double space after a period. It's what I was taught, and I assumed that's how it still was all around the business world. It's automatic for me at this point when I type.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Lucas Archer posted:

There's a debate out there about using double spaces after periods? That's still the standard in my job - I get items sent back if they don't have a double space after a period. It's what I was taught, and I assumed that's how it still was all around the business world. It's automatic for me at this point when I type.

Yeah I felt like I was taking crazy pills when I first read that, started looking at emails at my job. I guess it might be a generational thing.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's definitely generational because modern word processing can just space things correctly all on its own

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah if you learned to type on a typewriter then double after is how you were taught. And it was last relevant on a typewriter. You can see then how all the olds in charge would keep insisting it was required even though it wasn't relevant for decades. Like them.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Dameius posted:

Yeah if you learned to type on a typewriter then double after is how you were taught. And it was last relevant on a typewriter. You can see then how all the olds in charge would keep insisting it was required even though it wasn't relevant for decades. Like them.

I was taught how to type with mavis beacon on a pc in like 1991 and I was always taught double space so it's not a typewriter thing, although before we had a pc I definitely wrote some papers on a typewriter. I'm not sure when the cut out happened but for me double spacing is literally automatic.

Medullah posted:

Yeah I felt like I was taking crazy pills when I first read that, started looking at emails at my job. I guess it might be a generational thing.

Yea I was confused too. Maybe that's just me going senile from old age though :lol:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

I was taught how to type with mavis beacon on a pc in like 1991 and I was always taught double space so it's not a typewriter thing, although before we had a pc I definitely wrote some papers on a typewriter. I'm not sure when the cut out happened but for me double spacing is literally automatic.

Yea I was confused too. Maybe that's just me going senile from old age though :lol:

Nah, it absolutely is a typewriter thing. 1991 is just early enough you just had that get ported over to a digital program.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Dameius posted:

Nah, it absolutely is a typewriter thing. 1991 is just early enough you just had that get ported over to a digital program.

That's fair and would make sense that typing programs would keep the double space since typewriters were still around.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Harold Fjord posted:

It's definitely generational because modern word processing can just space things correctly all on its own

Yeah I mentioned how it's just muscle memory for me to double space after periods when I'm typing, but I notice at least these forums change it to a single space when I submit the post. Discord does the same thing as well, so I imagine a lot of other sites and programs do as well.

So I'm dumb and am curious, what's so wrong about double spacing after a period anyway? I assume it's maybe something about file size and how text gets represented on screen, like the second space is just straight up a waste of memory and can screw up layouts?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah I mentioned how it's just muscle memory for me to double space after periods when I'm typing, but I notice at least these forums change it to a single space when I submit the post. Discord does the same thing as well, so I imagine a lot of other sites and programs do as well.

So I'm dumb and am curious, what's so wrong about double spacing after a period anyway? I assume it's maybe something about file size and how text gets represented on screen, like the second space is just straight up a waste of memory and can screw up layouts?

It makes more sense when you're dealing with a fixed-width font, where every character takes up the same amount of space -- using two spaces as a sentence separator makes sense to call attention to it. Typewriters are fixed-width. A word processor uses variable-width fonts, so the period can just tuck right in next to whatever letter it comes after and the capital can be wider than lowercase letters, making the gap between sentences more noticeable even with a single space.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Twelve by Pies posted:

So I'm dumb and am curious, what's so wrong about double spacing after a period anyway?

People have stupid arguments about it, so if you don't standardize about .3% of all conversations on your platform is going to be about people's typing habits.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I triple space out of spite.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Now I'm reminiscing of my BBS days when I inverted capitalization to be cool so aLL OF MY MESSAGES WERE LIKE THIS. i WAS THE COOLEST

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Medullah posted:

Now I'm reminiscing of my BBS days when I inverted capitalization to be cool so aLL OF MY MESSAGES WERE LIKE THIS. i WAS THE COOLEST

Why not just type in lower case capitals?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lucas Archer posted:

This post checks out

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

If you use a double space after a period, do you do the same thing for other sentence terminating punctuation?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Scholtz posted:

If you use a double space after a period, do you do the same thing for other sentence terminating punctuation?

Absolutely.

I was taught formatting by professional fiction writers, who said the reason you always double spaced at the end of a sentence was because the editor was usually drunk and the extra space made reading easier.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Double space and add 15% more space unless the preceding sentence was bad or didn't smile at you enough, in which case add zero and ask to speak to the editor.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dameius posted:

Why not just type in lower case capitals?

Because caps lock is cruise control for cool

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Do people advocating for student loan debt forgiveness usually discern between types of school? Do trade schools not qualify for forgiveness?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Brawnfire posted:

Do people advocating for student loan debt forgiveness usually discern between types of school? Do trade schools not qualify for forgiveness?

All loan forgiveness plans I've seen include trade schools. Which is nice because trade school debt is also pretty significant these days even if it's lower on average than college debt.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That's what I would think, because the general idea is "education is way too loving expensive and anyone who received it after a certain time holds stresssful amounts of debt" which definitely includes trade schools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Brawnfire posted:

Killer robot posted:

All loan forgiveness plans I've seen include trade schools. Which is nice because trade school debt is also pretty significant these days even if it's lower on average than college debt.

Trade schools are included in student loan forgiveness, but for whatever reason, the narrative ignores that part. Likely in order to make it less appealing and easier to turn sentiment against it, because then they can keep hammering the "Lol, this snowflake wants you to pay for his Underwater Basket Weaving degree and not get a real job." drum.