Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

gently caress did i miss the launch? i was at work

Santa? Is that you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Demon Of The Fall posted:

5 days until NASA reveals the first images from Webb, and they are having a live broadcast which should be fun. They also released a test image that casually is the deepest view of the universe we've probably seen. I can't wait to see what this baby can really do.
https://twitter.com/NASAWebb/status/1544779918554406916?s=20&t=Qo5wO3qXauuj_WacRhswSg

Wow crazy to think that G*d, the good man in the sky, put all those spiral galaxies full of hundreds of millions of stars and planets each just for us, even though we couldn't see them without this incredible telescope. He just hid them all out there for us, waiting to find it.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Bro that poo poo gonna take a pic of the fuckin Big Bang dude

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

AHH F/UGH posted:

Wow crazy to think that G*d, the good man in the sky, put all those spiral galaxies full of hundreds of millions of stars and planets each just for us, even though we couldn't see them without this incredible telescope. He just hid them all out there for us, waiting to find it.

What a strange and non sequitur post

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I hope civilization collapses completely right after they post the image.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It'll be the image of G_d goatseing Himself and accidentally pooping out our reality

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

It'll be the image of G_d goatseing Himself and accidentally pooping out our reality

“Today we saw new images of the Orion Nebula and, uh, wow.”

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Negostrike posted:

I think the light from the big bang is far beyond our observable universe at this point

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I think the Webb is designed to be able to see 100 million years after the big bang, so that is pretty close

Also at some point today they will be releasing the 10? or so targets for the first images, and some of the people working on the thing have already been quoted that the images they've seen have "moved them to tears"

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

some of the people working on the thing have already been quoted that the images they've seen have "moved them to tears"

That space rock that hit the mirror actually ruined the Webb and the July 12 presentation will just be the first ten minutes of Up.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Negostrike posted:

Didn't realize they got a picture of how you were conceived op.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I think the light from the big bang is far beyond our observable universe at this point

The big bang happened everywhere, so it's not really about being far. The big bang happened where you are sitting, and where the most distant thing the JWST sees. Everything was all in one place then.

The answer is kinda yes and no: the Cosmic Microwave Background is in many ways the light of the big bang. It's the oldest light in the universe, the first light that was possible to travel any distance. Before that the universe was too dense and hot for light to move without instantly hitting anything. It had to expand and cool down to become transparent.

But that happened 370,000 years after the actual instant of the big bang, so it's also not exactly like seeing the big bang itself. But it's the oldest thing it is possible to see.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

AHH F/UGH posted:

Wrong, God created humanity and humanity created the universe by observing the void like Schrodinger's Cat. Every time we create a powerful space telescope that lets us see farther into the universe, the bigger it becomes and this is the real reason the expansion is speeding up, not because of dark energy.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
they call it the cosmic microwave background yet i've never seen an astronaut hold a burrito out while on a spacewalk and have it heat up so they can eat it. makes you think...

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/NASAWebb/status/1545413807996129280?s=20&t=5_9fpKZga7TW9AazHV71Bg

Carina Nebula. The Carina Nebula is one of the largest and brightest nebulae in the sky, located approximately 7,600 light-years away in the southern constellation Carina. Nebulae are stellar nurseries where stars form. The Carina Nebula is home to many massive stars, several times larger than the Sun.

WASP-96 b (spectrum). WASP-96 b is a giant planet outside our solar system, composed mainly of gas. The planet, located nearly 1,150 light-years from Earth, orbits its star every 3.4 days. It has about half the mass of Jupiter, and its discovery was announced in 2014.

Southern Ring Nebula. The Southern Ring, or “Eight-Burst” nebula, is a planetary nebula – an expanding cloud of gas, surrounding a dying star. It is nearly half a light-year in diameter and is located approximately 2,000 light years away from Earth.

Stephan’s Quintet: About 290 million light-years away, Stephan’s Quintet is located in the constellation Pegasus. It is notable for being the first compact galaxy group ever discovered in 1877. Four of the five galaxies within the quintet are locked in a cosmic dance of repeated close encounters.

SMACS 0723: Massive foreground galaxy clusters magnify and distort the light of objects behind them, permitting a deep field view into both the extremely distant and intrinsically faint galaxy populations.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Point it at some of those earth like planets we discover all the time and see if there’s any satellites or Russian space stations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

LuckyCat posted:

Point it at some of those earth like planets we discover all the time and see if there’s any satellites or Russian space stations.

I wonder if they can point it at proxima without getting drowned out with a flare.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Lawman 0 posted:

Didn't realize they got a picture of how you were conceived op.

:boom:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

sid meier's alpha centauri is one of the greatest games ever made but i'm not sure its old enough to have required a $10bn telescope to play it

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
find planet x

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Klyith posted:

The big bang happened where you are sitting

Hey, same to you buddy! :mad:

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Stephan’s Quintet is gonna be insanely good

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Bula Vinaka posted:

find planet x

It turns out we're still looking for planet 9 because Pluto was never a planet.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Seth Pecksniff posted:

... is this a reference?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

AHH F/UGH posted:

Stephan’s Quintet is gonna be insanely good

If anything it'll reveal all the junk floating between the four interacting galaxies which should be interesting (the fifth member is a foreground object that is coincidental)

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

some of the people working on the thing have already been quoted that the images they've seen have "moved them to tears"

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Why are the centers of the brightest stars blotted out? What's NASA trying to hide?!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

lol

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
This was supposed to be an empty patch of space behind the stars. And this was just a calibration image :aaaaa:

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

vortmax posted:

This was supposed to be an empty patch of space behind the stars. And this was just a calibration image :aaaaa:

All those galaxies poofed into existence because humanity made a powerful space telescope capable of observing them, Schrodinger's cat is alive and well.

Edit: Oh now I see the pig balls.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

gently caress you space rocks! :argh:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

trying to explain to my wife why I'm cackling at a photo of stars

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

:eyepop::popeye::eyepop::popeye::eyepop:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Lmao

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Bula Vinaka posted:

find planet x

Scanning…

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Yaldabaoth posted:

Why are the centers of the brightest stars blotted out? What's NASA trying to hide?!

Oversaturation of the thermal sensors causes them to register as black

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Semi-major axis: 380 +140/−80 AU (300–520 AU)
Perihelion: 300 +85/−60 AU
Orbital inclination: 16 ±5°
Mass: 6.2 +2.2/−1.3 Earth masses

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Represent ‘look at that pigs huge balls’ in a formula

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The hogscrote nebula sure is beautiful this time of year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
sensor poo poo is so cool and when I look at the science and engineering behind it reminds me that my IQ is actually chipmunk