Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

The Lord Bude posted:

You have no idea what the technical limitations of the m1/2 are or why they are what they are, so you can’t really say that. I really don’t think Apple looked at people who use multiple monitors and went ‘lol let’s make them spend more’

You have no idea what the rationale for the design limitations of the m1/2 was or why they are what they are, so you can't really say that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Ok Comboomer posted:

Just saying, if you can afford to drop $3-4 grand on some monitors then surely you can afford the additional $200 to make sure you bought a machine with an Mx Pro or higher, right?

Seems like it would be an obvious priority to choose the computer before the accessories. There's always that guy who puts a turbo on his shitbox before fixing the rust though.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
As best I can understand, the base M1/2 SoC only has 2 display pipelines on it. So you get the laptop screen + an external. I don’t know enough about system architecture on chips to understand how much silicon another pipeline would take up or what the trade-offs would have been to cram it in there.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My 'favourite' Apple display feature is that their Intel computers all support DisplayPort MST if you're running Windows

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

doingitwrong posted:

As best I can understand, the base M1/2 SoC only has 2 display pipelines on it. So you get the laptop screen + an external. I don’t know enough about system architecture on chips to understand how much silicon another pipeline would take up or what the trade-offs would have been to cram it in there.

You're missing the part where apple designed these chips themselves, they could have made it do anything. Shitbox intel chips have been supporting 3 displays natively for close to a decade now with a fraction of the GPU grunt of M1, let alone M2 which has supposedly even another 30-40% of GPU power on top of M1.

Everyone was excited for Apple to leave the grips of Intel and have full control over their product line, and yet they started by already artificially segregating their product line just as bad as intel is guilty of doing so in the past (hyperthreading, ECC support).

Edit:
Obviously, it's not all bad. The Mx chips thus far have been incredible. The balance between performance and efficiency they have struck it's truly outstanding and make the computers a joy to use.

It's just that the external display support situation across the entire Mac lineup is so horrendous compared to Windows that enough really cannot be said about it.

It was bad on the Intel machines already due to MacOS not supporting MST or DSC. As others have pointed out you could boot into Windows on Bootcamp and use a USB-C dock (non-thunderbolt 3) and still get 2+ displays working.

With the proper dock and stupid expensive cables, which to be clear aren't required for windows machines, you could at least still get a dual monitor setup. Yes, even on a 2018 Intel MacBook air which was otherwise a horrible computer.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 5, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Brain Issues posted:

Imagine paying $1200-$2500 for a laptop and a dock and then having to keep an app running on your laptop 24/7 to use your monitors while getting worse external display performance than a $300 chromebook would give you. That's M1/M2 Macbook Air & Macbook Pro multiple display life.

“Yeah it sucks and is inexcusable for the price but here’s a way to get around it at least” is one approach, but perhaps it’s more traditional to go “you’re wrong for wanting to do it.”

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

At my parents' house upgrading their 2012 Mac mini to a brand-new M1 one.

It's kind of blowing my mind that the form factor is completely unchanged in ten years, and even the rear panel is largely the same.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Data Graham posted:

At my parents' house upgrading their 2012 Mac mini to a brand-new M1 one.

It's kind of blowing my mind that the form factor is completely unchanged in ten years, and even the rear panel is largely the same.

Why mess with perfection?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

MarcusSA posted:

Why mess with perfection?

Rumor has it the M2 (and additionally rumored M2 Pro) will usher in a new visual style for the first time in forever. I’ll just be happy if the result has more than two Thunderbolt ports.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Tiny Timbs posted:

“Yeah it sucks and is inexcusable for the price but here’s a way to get around it at least” is one approach, but perhaps it’s more traditional to go “you’re wrong for wanting to do it.”

lol. "You're holding it wrong!!" but for monitors

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I think the Apple talking point is that the m1 was made for the iPad that only has one port and we need to save silicon.

Here are the cheapest laptops by display out, this is pure Apple tax. But also I have single 38” and bought the m1 pro anyways

1 displays $999 macbook air m1
2 displays $1999 macbook pro 14
4 displays $2899 macbook pro 14 Max

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Macbook Air 16" when

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
M2 Macbook Air preorders start Friday at 8am EST. Given the expected demand and shortages if you don't order in the first 2 minutes you'll be waiting for months.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Perplx posted:

M2 Macbook Air preorders start Friday at 8am EST. Given the expected demand and shortages if you don't order in the first 2 minutes you'll be waiting for months.

I assume that if you want anything more than 8GB of RAM you're going to be waiting months anyway

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Astro7x posted:

I assume that if you want anything more than 8GB of RAM you're going to be waiting months anyway

Here in the UK at least the 14" with whatever custom config has a delivery date of 2-3 weeks so they've at least improved past the three months they were around Christmas. Don't know if that's just the 14" or indicative of supply lines improving.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My 14" M1 Pro that I ordered back in May just had its delivery date moved from early-mid August to late July so maybe things are moving a bit quicker.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

prom candy posted:

My 14" M1 Pro that I ordered back in May just had its delivery date moved from early-mid August to late July so maybe things are moving a bit quicker.

Oh same, I just got a notice the 14" M1 Pro I ordered a couple of weeks ago was shipping.

Could be that closing orders for the M1 Airs and 13 Pros let them focus solely on MBP orders and get them out quick in advance of the M2 stuff coming out.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
What are predictions of an M2 Mini coming out in fall? I’d like an Air but I’d also like saving money and just popping a Mini into my tv, since I don’t really have a use case for a laptop.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What are predictions of an M2 Mini coming out in fall? I’d like an Air but I’d also like saving money and just popping a Mini into my tv, since I don’t really have a use case for a laptop.

I’m really hoping rumors of an M2 Pro Mini are accurate. There’s a big gulf between the current Mini and Studio that machine would slot into perfectly.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It's a little academic to me because I'm not going to buy a mini but I'm curious about whether the M2 Pro will impose on the form factor at all. I figured a base M2 mini would be able to go tiny, possibly even fanless like the Air.

Most likely we'll get the boring option; the same form factor again, complete with empty space and a fan that's excessive. It's a decent form factor. And unlike the touch bar MBPs, nobody's really eager to get rid of them ASAP.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

M2 MBA 16/512 order placed! Delivery is looking like Aug 2 - 9.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Costco has the base model M1 Airs for $850 again if anyone is scoping out those models.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Literally same 16/512 m2 air by first week August in Midnight. ::high five::

I wasn’t sure if I was going to upgrade the hard drive to 1TB, but I hope 512GB is enough for working storage. Maybe it’ll finally encourage me to turn an old windows computer into a NAS?

Re: RAM I did get the 16GB to stave off obsoletion. I am a hobbyist gamedev, and from what I’ve read people devving for low spec hardware don’t need more than 16GB on M1 MBAs. I’m curious the usecase for people getting 24GB RAM in M1s, though. FOMO or…?

I am not very excited about the Midnight. I am pretty sure I will be looking for skins/cases or something to make it more exciting. Is d-brand the way to go or…?

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

In the same boat as well, 16/512/Midnight.

I want to pull the trigger on a Dbrand skin, but I’d prefer to get a clear matte skin and seeing the horror stories about SlickWraps has me trying elsewhere. Any suggestions?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

I’d imagine the 24GB would come in handy for spinning up up a few Docker instances or VMs, or for working with 4K video. The price increase over 16GB is a little too dear for my tastes, but there’s definitely a market for a high RAM ultralight. We’ll see if I follow through and replace my 2015 MacBook Pro with an M2/16GB/512GB/Starlight… though now I’m torn on color, because I actually like all of them.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Did you guys go 8 Core GPU or 10 Core GPU? I went 10 because gently caress it, plus I ordered on the education site and saved 10% anyways.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I wanted at least 512GB storage so the 10 core GPU was 'free'. Very weird letting people spec out 512GB 8 core GPU M2s for the exact same price. Was it this way for the M1 launch?

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I'm looking at doing a 16gb/512 on the 10 core GPU.

I like having lots of tabs open but not like 1000 at once. I don't ever forsee myself doing hollywood level effects but I lie to myself and pretend I'll eventually do some video editing and/or podcasting with this machine. Not going to game on this thing at all because lol mac.

I'm coming off a 2015 MBP w/16 gb and discreet graphics. I love this computer but I can't get OS updates anymore and it can barely hold a charge so welp.

Is there any world in which I need 24gb of ram?

Is this a good computer for my use case?

App13
Dec 31, 2011

bloodysabbath posted:

I'm looking at doing a 16gb/512 on the 10 core GPU.

I like having lots of tabs open but not like 1000 at once. I don't ever forsee myself doing hollywood level effects but I lie to myself and pretend I'll eventually do some video editing and/or podcasting with this machine. Not going to game on this thing at all because lol mac.

I'm coming off a 2015 MBP w/16 gb and discreet graphics. I love this computer but I can't get OS updates anymore and it can barely hold a charge so welp.

Is there any world in which I need 24gb of ram?

Is this a good computer for my use case?

I have almost this exact use case, but add in some CAD and CFDs, so I went with the baseline 14” for $1700 (edu discount and sold the gift card).

I’m happy with it. I also like using 2 external monitors so that was another big factor

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

16/512 M2 Air is $1700 whereas the 16/512 M1 Pro is $2000. The base M1Pro vs M2 CPU performance is a tossup, but the GPU in the M1Pro should be much better as should the screen. The M2A is lighter and newer and comes in black so clearly the better option.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

anothergod posted:

16/512 M2 Air is $1700 whereas the 16/512 M1 Pro is $2000. The base M1Pro vs M2 CPU performance is a tossup, but the GPU in the M1Pro should be much better as should the screen. The M2A is lighter and newer and comes in black so clearly the better option.

unironically all of this

the industrial design of the Midnight M2 Air gets me right in the 2007 Black Polycarb MacBook owning feels

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

anothergod posted:

unless you get the pro for $1800, which happens often on Amazon (there was a sale just this last week, it's already over). The black is also a dark blue and a major, major fingerprint magnet. Still, while I'm tempted right now, I can wait till fall when they release the m2 pro's, and that's what I think I'll do personally. the idea of a future 15 inch air sounds great, but honestly it's the quality of the screen and the ports that makes me go back to picking the 14 every time. (Especially if you can live with base mode and can grab one for sub 2K).

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The M1 pro is already perfect

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

hatty posted:

The M1 pro is already perfect

I suspect the M2 version will have slightly better battery life. It's the only reason I'm holding out, the M1 pro has plenty of power for what I do.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The only thing I want the m2 for is nested virtualization, but really I can get by without that.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

I had an M2 MacBook Air in my cart but the base 14" Macbook Pro was so close in price that I decided to just buy that instead. Plus I got it delivered in 2 hours instead of 2 weeks which was nice. The screen and speakers are really, really nice so not regretting being upsold. Huge upgrade from my 2020 Intel MacBook Air (in retrospect a stupid loving purchase, but it brought back the decent keyboard and I thought the Apple Silicon transition would be a lot rougher than it was).

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Perplx posted:

The only thing I want the m2 for is nested virtualization, but really I can get by without that.

M2 is A15 based, so it's supposed to have it by default.

I think Apple is saving ARM v9 for the M3, as far as I can tell M1 and M2 are still ARM v8.4 / 8.5

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Hot Stunt posted:

Plus I got it delivered in 2 hours instead of 2 weeks which was nice

I might have to wait a month for mine. Definitely a plus of base 14.

LionArcher posted:

unless you get the pro for $1800, which happens often on Amazon (there was a sale just this last week, it's already over). The black is also a dark blue and a major, major fingerprint magnet. Still, while I'm tempted right now, I can wait till fall when they release the m2 pro's, and that's what I think I'll do personally. the idea of a future 15 inch air sounds great, but honestly it's the quality of the screen and the ports that makes me go back to picking the 14 every time. (Especially if you can live with base mode and can grab one for sub 2K).

I bought with an apple store education discount and my 16/512 ended up being 1500. I'm also getting a $150 gift card, too. (Can I use this on apple care?)

But even with that there's still a high vanity tax for refreshed airs. The M2 Pros will probably be super sick machines too, but also they'll probably weight 25% more than the M1 Airs and going by current pricing at least $200 more than M1 Pros.

LionArcher posted:

I suspect the M2 version will have slightly better battery life. It's the only reason I'm holding out, the M1 pro has plenty of power for what I do.

Is there something I missed about M2s having better battery life?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Are the M2 Air demo models out in apple stores? Won’t be buying for months but would be cool to poke it and see in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My 14" M1 Pro is now arriving on Monday, a full month earlier than expected. Definitely glad I decided not to cancel my order and wait for the M2 Pro. Quote this post when the M2 Pro comes out in August and is 10x better than the M1 Pro