Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BeeSeeBee posted:

But it is extremely car-brained to think one's basic rear end car deserves a treat like premium gas or something, and it's not uncommon :psyduck:

It's actually extremely common lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's actually extremely common lmao

apparently it was 89 octane which isn’t the top of the line but also against the recommendation of Toyota for any of its cars except a couple weird ones. that’s still like a quarter dollar more though for nothing lol.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

actionjackson posted:

bad: filled up ten gallons at 5.19/gallon

good: it was on my way to pick up this single speed bike off craigslist

let's go!!!!!!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Dog Case posted:

How many carbon credits is this worth

Thats some real nice moss

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

actionjackson posted:

This bike has some strong 2005 vibes. It's the worst bike for hauling your large adult dogs but it's infinity times better than any car. Put some Pokemon cards in the spokes and a PBR in the bottle cage and relive your misspent youth.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
At least it has one brake.

RIP ur street cred tho.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm visiting my parents who live near a fee paying school and the number and size of the SUVs (badly) parked on the road at school pickup time is staggering. So many Porsche and BMWs (the X6 is egregiously big). Saw one of those Mercedes jeep things, don't think it had seen anything more off-road than a bit of pavement to park on.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

actionjackson posted:

Thats a sick bike, gratz

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Still been looking at getting a bike from a dutch company since purchasing a dutch bike, shipping it across ocean and land, is about the same price as buying one locally but not nearly as nice.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Suplex Liberace posted:

Thats a sick bike, gratz

thanks, it's a balance between a bike that looks good but also kind of looks like poo poo to deter theft. mismatched rims help

kind of like that SNL chameleon skit where the car is luxurious inside but looks like poo poo on the outside

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Third World Reagan posted:

Still been looking at getting a bike from a dutch company since purchasing a dutch bike, shipping it across ocean and land, is about the same price as buying one locally but not nearly as nice.

Go post in the bikes thread, people love finding bikes. I doubt that shipping a Dutch bike internationally is going to represent very good value for money

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

in the Netherlands they dip their bikes in mayonnaise

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The thing is shippign is like 200 bucks but the cost of the bike is the same as a local bike but the dutch one is just a higher quality.

Unless I am looking at a walmart bike.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Have you looked at

https://plain-bicycle.myshopify.com/

They import actual Dutch bikes from dutchland and sell them for a reasonable amount. I haven't looked at it beyond remembering it exists so i don't know what shipping or customer service is like

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Re: dutch bikes, make sure your city is as flat as Amsterdam. I like dutch bikes but they're pretty heavy

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dutch bikes aren't even especially good or anything. They're a fairly practical design but part of the reason that style of bike is popular in the netherlands, japan, etc. is just because they're cheap and people are leaving them for extended periods without u-locks and/or leaving them at train stations for one end of their commute without having to worry about them that much.

Having the infrastructure in place where that type of inexpensive, practical bike is needs-suiting is the go-to style of bike is something to aspire to but it's not like they're magical superbikes or something.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Sometimes you just want a lovely old bike

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Dutch bikes are easier to maintain, have chain guards and mudguards, often nicer kickstands, the stepthrough frame and high handlebar position allow for more clothing options while riding, and are very aesthetic.

They're not the best for hills, but if you think you're more likely to ride/use a Dutch bike than a non-Dutch bike, that alone is a good enough reason to get one.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

webcams for christ posted:

Dutch bikes are easier to maintain, have chain guards and mudguards, often nicer kickstands, the stepthrough frame and high handlebar position allow for more clothing options while riding, and are very aesthetic.

They're not the best for hills, but if you think you're more likely to ride/use a Dutch bike than a non-Dutch bike, that alone is a good enough reason to get one.

can get one just as good for half the price from China probably.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

GlassEye-Boy posted:

can get one just as good for half the price from China probably.

most likely yes. shimano, campagnolo, sram etc all produce some of their components there anyway

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
They don't even grind the welds on the mainland made frames, the craftsmanship is poo poo compared to the Taiwanese

Anyways, some vigilantes made the news:

Vigilante climate activist group deflates Bay Area SUV tires overnight posted:

Lt. Katie Cardona with the Vacaville Police Department said the department received one report on July 5 of a tire on a resident’s Honda Pilot SUV being deflated overnight.

“We are aware that there are reports of additional tire deflations on social media, but those have not been reported to us,” Cardona told SFGATE. She added that the incident involving the Honda Pilot is being investigated as a case of vehicle tampering, which is a misdemeanor offense punishable by up to a year in jail and a maximum fine of $1,000.

It's always amazes me how many people don't have a bike pump, and get to wait around for a tow truck when the unexpected happens

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/cta/status/1545848831073558531
in case it gets deleted:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

[Expletive]

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

what a wonderful sight

https://twitter.com/AccessForAll7/status/1545827630565433345

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

I like that somehow it's OK in their minds to park on the sidewalk, but not just park in one lane of the that 4-5 lane street.

Wouldn't want to inconvenience drivers!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
cars are pretty cool imo

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Get the gently caress out of here.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

withak posted:

Get the gently caress out of here.

check this out

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

whoa sick recumbent bike

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Mr. Sharps posted:

whoa sick recumbent bike

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

AnimeIsTrash posted:

check this out

lol if you hit someone in that htey're gonna get their guts in your face. plz do not take your family in this vehicle

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Had a wonderful commute to and from work and then i did some errands with my lovely bike.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Mr. Sharps posted:

whoa sick recumbent bike

I get pussy so i'd never ride something like that.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I get pussy so i'd never ride something like that.

you might get more if you had thick glutes

ride a bike, build a shelf back there

Apr 7, 2003

I saw a really old guy today in a Trump hat + a t-shirt with bible verses trying to carry his recumbent bicycle over a tree that had fallen on the trail.

mixed messaging right there

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There is no reason to think that the recumbent bicycle gene that kicks in when a man reaches a certain age is independent from the moron gene.

Apr 7, 2003

withak posted:

There is no reason to think that the recumbent bicycle gene that kicks in when a man reaches a certain age is independent from the moron gene.

pretty sure older guys ride recumbents because of prostate problems but they're probably also morons

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Road the bus the other day to a board game night with new friends. The bus route stops after 9pm so I had to ride a Divvy bike back home at like midnight. Worked out pretty well and the traffic was pretty low so it was a solid ride. Saw a good number of other cyclists too, they were passing me because ride share bikes have bad gearing and weigh like 50lbs, but I will probably do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I saw a really old guy today in a Trump hat + a t-shirt with bible verses trying to carry his recumbent bicycle over a tree that had fallen on the trail.

mixed messaging right there
If you want divine help to get your bike over fallen trees you need to ride a tandem alone with a "Jesus is my stoker" sticker