Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Seen it. Revy is cool and good. Just looking coffee more shows that make an effort to portray the rest of the world in a unique way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Vinland Saga for set outside of Japan. Viking era stuff, new season coming.

I guess Planetes as well except for a few eps but it's mostly in earth orbit in a near future setting.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

That Works posted:

Vinland Saga for set outside of Japan. Viking era stuff, new season coming.

I guess Planetes as well except for a few eps but it's mostly in earth orbit in a near future setting.

The manga also has some scenes in Florida, with Fee and her family.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

got somewhat of a weird request. can i get some recs on an anime/manga that's 1) long 2) currently running? preferably something shonen related, but not required.
Jujutsu Kaisen is the most recent big shonen manga. chainsaw man isnt that long relative to most shonen manga (about 100 chapters?) but the manga's setting up for its second half after the author took a break to prep for it, and its getting an anime soon

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

How about some recs for shows set in the real world but outside of Japan? I tried Great Pretender but I'm not really a fan of con job stories where they explain poo poo afterwards with a series of arbitrary asspulls. SpyXFamily is good but it's more about emulating the feel of a cold war European city than anything specifically real world. I want to see shows set in verifiable real world places and see how Japan represents them, be they accurate depictions or Mad Bull 34 insanity depictions. Maybe Yuri On Ice might fit the bill?
every jojo part but 4 is set in somewhere besides japan. wild sshonen.
iirc flying witch is set in japan but has a couple eps set in vietnam? decent slice of life
eden of the east is set in new york and dc and is a pretty fun mysteryish/romance thing
el cazador de la bruja is set in mexico and is a decent girls with guns yuri thing

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

croisee in a foreign labyrinth is a slice-of-life anime set in 19th century paris, i really enjoyed it even if a lot of the writing is kinda basic 'here are the cultural differences between europe and japan in this era' stuff. also features aoi yuuki hamming it up as a 19th century weeb girl

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Okay, I am no longer on ambien brain and somehow staying up until 3am despite taking 2 sleeping pills at 10:30 pm.

I made a list of what looked interesting. I'll give them all a look. A lot of things I had already seen for the record: Princess Monoke, Red Line, One Punch Man, Your Name, Ghost In The Shell Movie, Gintama, were all stuff I had scene. Still, the fact you thought those would work makes me trust your other suggestions.

This is the list I made. Bold were the ones that interested me the most.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

maybe try Blood Blockade Battlefront, that one feels like the closest modern equivalent to something like cowboy bebop or trigun to me (the manga is by the trigun guy), stylish noir-ish action show with episodic stories

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Speaking of, the Bebop movie is basically set in space new york, and a lil bit space morocco

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Wolf's Rain doesn't name real world locations, but is set in a funky dying world fantasy Russia. And of course, there's the sunblasted setting of Michiko and Hatchin.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Covok posted:

Okay, I am no longer on ambien brain and somehow staying up until 3am despite taking 2 sleeping pills at 10:30 pm.

I made a list of what looked interesting. I'll give them all a look. A lot of things I had already seen for the record: Princess Monoke, Red Line, One Punch Man, Your Name, Ghost In The Shell Movie, Gintama, were all stuff I had scene. Still, the fact you thought those would work makes me trust your other suggestions.

This is the list I made. Bold were the ones that interested me the most.

I wouldn't consider Patlabor copaganda, considering one of them just REALLY wants to shoot guns to a concerning degree, and Special Vehicles Division 2 fucks up as much as it succeeds.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

copaganda owns

also hating sexism and hating moe is like hating forest fires and also hating firefighters

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway g-gundam is probably up your alley, and if you like gaogaigar watch the other brave series. fighbird, j-decker (warning: cops also), and mightgaine (warning: protagonist is a tech ceo) are the best ones.

also bebop's director has made other stuff, checkout samurai champloo if you havent. if you enjoyed digimon adventure 01 you might enjoy some of the later digimon seasons too, i think tamers is the best one by a mile so check it out if you havent.

you might have seen all these already since they're Old so in terms of more recent stuff symphogear is very rule of cool though its first season is fairly slow paced for a lot of its run and has some weirdly depressing bits. theres some fanservice type stuff but not really anything worse than like yoko in gurren lagann i think. one of the main villains is a guy named John Wayne Vercingetorix who does nothing but quote Schwarzenegger movies and declare himself 'humanity's last action hero,' thats the tone its operating at.

there's also a bunch of getter robo stuff, which is one of gurren lagann's big influences. shin getter robo and new getter robo are probably the two thatd hit the best in that wheelhouse.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I just remembered Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song. If you liked Ghost in the Shell, I think you'll like that a lot.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Arc Hammer posted:

How about some recs for shows set in the real world but outside of Japan? I tried Great Pretender but I'm not really a fan of con job stories where they explain poo poo afterwards with a series of arbitrary asspulls. SpyXFamily is good but it's more about emulating the feel of a cold war European city than anything specifically real world. I want to see shows set in verifiable real world places and see how Japan represents them, be they accurate depictions or Mad Bull 34 insanity depictions. Maybe Yuri On Ice might fit the bill?

Monster.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

There's always Appare-Ranman!! for those classic Cannonball Run across a bygone America vibes

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Covok posted:

With all of that shared with the class, what series should I consider potentially looking into. Despite all I said here, I am interested in seeing a newer series because I feel my tastes are so out of date that I can't relate anymore to the modern fanboy. However, if there is some really good old poo poo you think I didn't see, let me know about it too.

Any replies are appreciated. There are no stupid answers. Thank you.

- You might enjoy Jujutsu Kaisen. It's a standard fight-based shonen, where people fight by weaponizing "curses". This puts it in the same category of shows like Jojo or BNHA where every character has their own unique gimmick they do wild poo poo with. And while the battle scenes are stellar, the show really shines with its character humor. The main gang has great chemistry and it's very enjoyable to watch them be stupid together whenever there's downtime. It's also been consistently praised for its female characters, since they're allowed to be funny weirdo badasses like the rest of the cast instead of getting henpecked into the standard "The Girl™" shonen roles.
- There's also Dorohedoro - visually it's a bit harder to recommend since it's 3d animated, which puts off a lot of people, though I'd say it's one of the better examples (the manga looks amazing though, give it a peek if you can). Dorohedoro's weird in that it marries that grimdark ultraviolent aesthetic that was quite popular in the late 80s- early 90s with some really chill, upbeat, friends-we-make-along-the-way vibes whenever the characters interact in any way other than grievous brutality (which is about half the time). In theory it's about opposing gangs of murderous psychopaths trying to find and kill each other, in practice it's about best friends hanging out in a weird world full of demons and sometimes skulls get shattered.
- For a good zany comedy, try Nichijou. While technically it's a series of standalone gags, there's an overarching continuity and character arcs.
- Keep your hands off Eizouken! is also worth watching. While it's not exactly hand-drawn (I don't think there's many shows that are, anymore) it has a very unique look, both in terms of character design, background art and animation style. And it's all to serve a plot about three kids dabbling in amateur animation, so it's a pretty great fit.

- Off the top of my head I can't think of recent shows I've watched that had particularly good LGBTQ+ representation (I mean I guess you could watch Heaven's Design Team but it's mostly just a gag show about cool animal facts, or you could also join a significant part of the subforum in the insanity that is the Lesbian Golf Mafia of Birdie Wing, though that one's mostly ~subtext~), but you could wait for the upcoming anime adaptation of Skip to Loafer dropping later this year, or pick up the manga.

Mr Interweb posted:

got somewhat of a weird request. can i get some recs on an anime/manga that's 1) long 2) currently running? preferably something shonen related, but not required.

You need to start reading Dungeon Meshi, stat. Granted the anime adaptation was only recently announced and the manga's entered its final arc, but it's long, it has amazing art, engrossing lore and world building, great humor and characters, plenty of action, and it will make you really hungry.

Arc Hammer posted:

If you wanna go old school there's a bunch of shows from the 70s and 80s that are adaptations of children's lit from around the world, like Remi or Marco, and there's also :japan: stuff like The Rose of Versailles or The Mysterious Cities of Gold.

And if we're also talking manga, I don't think anyone's beaten Otoyomegatari on that category just yet. I mean just the. Motherfucking. Embroidery.

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 9, 2022

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Whoever recommended Bofuri, it's pretty good. Very little CGI and it's pretty silly.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Monolith. posted:

Whoever recommended Bofuri, it's pretty good. Very little CGI and it's pretty silly.

It is a great low-stakes and very silly show.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Hello friends! I'm looking for shows or movies where sakuga animated swordplay is the focus. Beam swords/lightsabers OK too. Thanks!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sword of the Stranger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04MP2b5obz4

The Duel or The Ninth Jedi if you have Disney Plus.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 10, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it isnt the main main focus since its mostly just the protag wandering around but tsukikage ran has a good amount of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol5Ygr7skgs

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

hiddenriverninja posted:

Hello friends! I'm looking for shows or movies where sakuga animated swordplay is the focus. Beam swords/lightsabers OK too. Thanks!

Yuugen Kaisha, a 4 episode OVA series

https://twitter.com/PurpleGeth/status/1228088171327578112?t=4JR9crg60aRZ5HLTP5QHnQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/randomsakuga/status/903739411602571264?t=oE1ZH3_CZ3lIomIiUl37yw&s=19

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

Le Chavelier de Eon

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

It's not ahead of its time. This animation was possible back in the 30s. The difference is pencil budget, time budget, and money budget. A 4 episode OVA that is funded well has a lot of pencil, time, and money to go around and make sure every sequence looks as good as it can. Also, this was the 1990 or 80s, judging from the look, and that was during a period where Japan's economy was running hot and money was being thrown around. The OVA probably had a good budget for its length. Furthermore, the animation team probably worked on this solely, maybe one or two more projects, because demand for anime was lower. Nowadays, you have less money being put into more series that are being worked on teams being stretched thin and needing to hit tight deadlines. The skill of the workers didn't change, we just don't let the workers breath enough to show how good they can animate when given the chance.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I mean, they have everyone at mappa nose to the grindstone low wages and crunch time and they are making some truly amazing stuff.

So, there is something to be said for the advances in workflows. Like the assembly line, exploitation and the search for profit can yield innovations.

Note that none of this is a compliment.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 12, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm not sure we should be praising Mappa's working conditions just because they pump out good stuff.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm not sure we should be praising Mappa's working conditions just because they pump out good stuff.

Not my point. Not praising their working conditions, just commenting on them.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

mappa's non-Big Shonen shows have noticeably declined in quality over the past several years, i don't know if they're a great example as they're mostly just siphoning more and more resources towards the popular shows rather than making advances

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DamnGlitch posted:

Not my point. Not praising their working conditions, just commenting on them.

Yeah I guess the sad truth is the investors will look at the results and not the means and think that Mappa churning out as much as they are without skimping on production means that killing their employees is a net positive.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Without organization and stoppages I don’t think anything will change. I’m gonna say nobody should hold their breath.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Some companies are taking steps to change their working conditions, and thats probably the level it will stay at without government funding for more protections for workers or smth. And lol at that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

Some companies are taking steps to change their working conditions, and thats probably the level it will stay at without government funding for more protections for workers or smth. And lol at that.

And Mappa is one of those companies, or at least they claimed to be trying for it. They built a new facility for Chainsaw Man to make shifts at the office less painful, and they upped the salaries for their full time employees to be enough to live on, which doesn't sound like an improvement until you see what standard salaries are like for starting animators.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

And Mappa is one of those companies, or at least they claimed to be trying for it. They built a new facility for Chainsaw Man to make shifts at the office less painful, and they upped the salaries for their full time employees to be enough to live on, which doesn't sound like an improvement until you see what standard salaries are like for starting animators.

Is there a good article/video that gives a breakdown of pay structure(s)? I always knew the pay was terrible, but now I'm interested in finding out more in detail.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Jomo posted:

Is there a good article/video that gives a breakdown of pay structure(s)? I always knew the pay was terrible, but now I'm interested in finding out more in detail.

Shirobako (an anime about making anime) had this infographic in it, but it's from 2014-2015 and also probably a bit more glamourised than reality.

Not a proper article or anything, but it's a handy first step at a glance.

(Watch Shirobako btw it's good)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

Shirobako (an anime about making anime) had this infographic in it, but it's from 2014-2015 and also probably a bit more glamourised than reality.

Not a proper article or anything, but it's a handy first step at a glance.

(Watch Shirobako btw it's good)
theres some issues with the graphic, like not accounting for various other production roles like key animator, character designer, screenwriter, and the framing of it does kinda make it seem like VAs are raking in the big bucks when the real people making money are the execs at the top of the production committees (different from the executive producer, whos more like an inbetween between the animation company and the production committees), but it's pretty accurate in terms of numbers if you account for inflation.

big name directors or screenwriters can also demand way more in terms of pay, like your urobuchi's or whoever.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Putting it on my backlog as we speak. Also the scale tracks, even for the A-list VA (tho not sure about 600k): I've heard the top 5% do like 90% of the work, plus they'll be doing game and ad VA work as well. Realistically hearing someone like Kaji Yuuki pulling 100-200k pa would not shock me.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

theres some issues with the graphic, like not accounting for various other production roles like key animator, character designer, screenwriter, and the framing of it does kinda make it seem like VAs are raking in the big bucks when the real people making money are the execs at the top of the production committees (different from the executive producer, whos more like an inbetween between the animation company and the production committees), but it's pretty accurate in terms of numbers if you account for inflation.

big name directors or screenwriters can also demand way more in terms of pay, like your urobuchi's or whoever.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying it's comprehensive or anything, there's definitely more recent and better studied data out there, considering it's just a screencap from an anime. It's just the first thing I thought of that's a handy first step infographic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jomo posted:

Putting it on my backlog as we speak. Also the scale tracks, even for the A-list VA (tho not sure about 600k): I've heard the top 5% do like 90% of the work, plus they'll be doing game and ad VA work as well. Realistically hearing someone like Kaji Yuuki pulling 100-200k pa would not shock me.
yeah, the big name VAs get decent paychecks, but they're also doing an insane amount of bulk. a lot of them get vocal cord issues and stuff, despite the pay being good its not exactly an easy job unless you get into the absolute top-top tier where you can do one anime a year and get a million dollars and are just an actual celebrity outside of otaku circles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

Japan also has pretty low inflation, so the numbers in a chart like this aren't as out of date as they would be for most countries.