Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
For Star ruler 2, is there a thread or page somewhere dedicated to it? Beyond just the GitHub, because it sounds like there was some form of forward development/modding community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I would love this, if a game had Isaac Arthur on their design team then planets would be almost irrelevant. It would all be about asteroids and artificial space habitats. Also it's better to have 100 space stations than 1 planet when you're dealing with relativistic kill vehicles. You could have a super deep timescale where lategame is all about surviving after all the stars are dead, huddling around black holes as a digital hive mind that is running very slow in subjective time. Sometimes a Boltzmann brain appears.

:vince: I want it now.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I want that because I want to Gundam

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I would love this, if a game had Isaac Arthur on their design team then planets would be almost irrelevant. It would all be about asteroids and artificial space habitats. Also it's better to have 100 space stations than 1 planet when you're dealing with relativistic kill vehicles. You could have a super deep timescale where lategame is all about surviving after all the stars are dead, huddling around black holes as a digital hive mind that is running very slow in subjective time. Sometimes a Boltzmann brain appears.

Yea a space game where early on you colonize planets, but the first real break through is space-habitats where you can place them anywhere with sufficient solar intensity and start Infinite City Sprawl but in space.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah I don’t know if it’d still be a 4x but I’d love a game that was basically just the opening stages of a 4x. All about exploring, finding cool/weird/dangerous poo poo, setting up colony worlds, researching new techs, meeting and dealing with other races, dealing with cold wars and frontier brush wars (as in more a series of small skirmishes with handfuls of ships than massive total warfare with huge fleets). Maybe something where you have only a handful of major ships and outposts with individual captains and such like Stellaris’ characters.

Basically something the captures the common sci-fi trope of humanity arriving on a frequently already established galactic scene and dealing with trying to find a place in it (see: TOS Star Trek (or even Enterprise!), Babylon 5, Mass Effect 1, etc).

It all probably sounds better in my head, but basically as Kitfox said, something that concentrates far more in the first three Xs.

I’d also just be happy if more traditional 4X games were willing to emulate Stellar Monarch and not have other factions play by the same rules as the player at all.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 8, 2022

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Bremen posted:

Apologies if I'm being presumptuous, but have you played Star Ruler 2? It's not exactly what you're talking about but there's a reason it gets compared to Slipways.

I've seen it mentioned but it looks has way too much micromanagement for what I was describing. Ship builder, an economy, planet tiles for buildings, etc. I'd like to check it out one day cause it looks interesting but it's not gonna hit the spot right now.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Were there any practical guides or tutorials for Shadow Empires? I keep wanting to get into it but it's just not clicking for me.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thompsons posted:

Were there any practical guides or tutorials for Shadow Empires? I keep wanting to get into it but it's just not clicking for me.

DasTactic on youtube has some excellent tutorials, it's how I learned. Battlemode on youtube plays it, not a tutorial but I found watching his vids helpful in learning and seeing how the games supposed to be played. The manual is also pretty well written and helpful, especially when youre starting out and figuring out some of the finicky systems.

It's also very groggy, so learning stuff like NATO counters and military command hierarchies is helpful but not necessary

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 9, 2022

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

I'd appreciate some super-quick feedback on a few impulse buys I'm considering before the sale wraps up.

Master of Orion 2: I constantly hear this touted as one of the gold standards of the genre, but it's pretty long in the tooth. Is it worth picking up today, or have its innovations been done better in more recent, UX-ier titles?

I think it's predecessor (MOO or MOO1) is better in pretty much every way. MOO2 tries to turn itself into Civ (or MoM) by adding pointless pop management and build orders to planets that basically do the same thing MOO does with sliders, but fiddlier. The ship design and combat add flexibility that flexes all the interesting decisions out of the game. It's a superficial upgrade that is a prettier but worse game. The Antarans are fun but basically just a second Orion.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Agreed except that the whole deal with the Antarans is they're actively invading you the whole game, putting you on a war footing and helping you test drive your ship builds long even when you're not fighting any other players, vs. a static obstacle like the Orion guardian. It makes for a lot more involved early game vs. the original

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

There's a modernization of MoO1 available as freeware, if new players don't want to struggle with a game interface from 1993.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

For Star ruler 2, is there a thread or page somewhere dedicated to it? Beyond just the GitHub, because it sounds like there was some form of forward development/modding community.

Theres a discord under https://discord.gg/wuKezHfb open star ruler. The devs used to be there, I dont know if they still are. The devs were actually goons and alot of stuff used to be here on a thread but god if I have a link to it handy. The main dev detailed everything during development of two, and also how little press they got by alot of the big reviewers and how that really hurt them in getting any outreach. it really was sad because the differences between 1 and 2 are huge with tons of qol improvements, and you have no idea how funny it is to sling your stationary death fortress into the middle of an enemy fleet and just destroy it, or sling planets to wherever the gently caress you want to build a central fortress with empty useless systems.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

We had an SA thread on Star Ruler 2 (actually we had two), though of course it's long dead. You can find it here.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Rappaport posted:

There's a modernization of MoO1 available as freeware, if new players don't want to struggle with a game interface from 1993.

I was gonna say "just play RotP instead" and then realized you linked to RotP. Great game, the dev is itt sometimes

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah I don’t know if it’d still be a 4x but I’d love a game that was basically just the opening stages of a 4x. All about exploring, finding cool/weird/dangerous poo poo, setting up colony worlds, researching new techs, meeting and dealing with other races, dealing with cold wars and frontier brush wars (as in more a series of small skirmishes with handfuls of ships than massive total warfare with huge fleets). Maybe something where you have only a handful of major ships and outposts with individual captains and such like Stellaris’ characters.

Basically something the captures the common sci-fi trope of humanity arriving on a frequently already established galactic scene and dealing with trying to find a place in it (see: TOS Star Trek (or even Enterprise!), Babylon 5, Mass Effect 1, etc).

It all probably sounds better in my head, but basically as Kitfox said, something that concentrates far more in the first three Xs.

I’d also just be happy if more traditional 4X games were willing to emulate Stellar Monarch and not have other factions play by the same rules as the player at all.

Star Control 2. Which is not turn-based exactly, but does very much put you in a situation where humanity is reaching out into a galaxy with already-established groups populating everywhere.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

If only they'd make a (good) new one!

I'd be a happy camper.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Valatar posted:

Star Control 2. Which is not turn-based exactly, but does very much put you in a situation where humanity is reaching out into a galaxy with already-established groups populating everywhere.

And those groups are hot and fly ships like

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'd be a happy camper.

they are!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Azhais posted:

And those groups are hot and fly ships like

they are!

It's a great game, right?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lawman 0 posted:

It's a great game, right?

I love starcon 2

Other than the Pkunk. hallelujah my rear end :argh:

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

PerniciousKnid posted:

I think it's predecessor (MOO or MOO1) is better in pretty much every way. MOO2 tries to turn itself into Civ (or MoM) by adding pointless pop management and build orders to planets that basically do the same thing MOO does with sliders, but fiddlier. The ship design and combat add flexibility that flexes all the interesting decisions out of the game. It's a superficial upgrade that is a prettier but worse game. The Antarans are fun but basically just a second Orion.

I still find it shocking that MOO1 smooths over the pitfalls later 4x games (including it's own sequel) fell into. Remnants of the Precursors is worth playing too.

Thompsons posted:

I'm in the same boat. I watched some of DasTactics's tutorials but they are all separated by topic and go into too much detail for me. I would rather start with a general overview of the gameplay and flow and get into the details later. I remember a Dwarf Fortress tutorial sharing a save file so you could play along with the tutorial. I wish there was something like that for SE.

EDIT: I found a good tutorial video for Shadow Empire, now I want to try it again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6UynQsoL8E

Joe Chill fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 10, 2022

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It’s been a few months since release , so how’s Distant Worlds 2 now? Fairly patched up and stable?

Edit: I also keep hearing good things about Old World. How’s that game? It look Civ-like.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 10, 2022

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

If you're okay with the really narrow scope (a small number of civs and confined to that era) I think Old World is the best game in that style of 4x out there. Cool systems, a good amount of interesting decision making and good-for-a-4x AI.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anno posted:

If you're okay with the really narrow scope (a small number of civs and confined to that era) I think Old World is the best game in that style of 4x out there. Cool systems, a good amount of interesting decision making and good-for-a-4x AI.

Is it actually out-out, or still out but in early access? I might check it out. I just purchased DW2. I got a bunch of hours into DW1 around February and March and absolutely adore the poo poo out of that game.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

chaosapiant posted:

Is it actually out-out, or still out but in early access? I might check it out. I just purchased DW2. I got a bunch of hours into DW1 around February and March and absolutely adore the poo poo out of that game.

It’s out-out, though it continues to get pretty regular updates.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Old World is great. Anyone who likes 4x games should try it. It's my favorite 4x since civ 4.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'd be a happy camper.

You should check out Starcom Nexus. Basically a spiritual successor to Star Control 2 and it's pretty good.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

chaosapiant posted:

It was actually mechanically complete and fully playable vs the AI like 2 years ago, but it was missing graphics and story events. But now it has all the graphics, story events, scenarios, etc that you would expect from a full release, plus it's on Steam too. Play it, learn the mechanics and enjoy one of the most deeply rewarding and mechanically "crunchy" games that has been released in a long while.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
It had a very buggy release though. Glad to hear that’s fixed.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gobblecoque posted:

Old World is great. Anyone who likes 4x games should try it. It's my favorite 4x since civ 4.

You should check out Starcom Nexus. Basically a spiritual successor to Star Control 2 and it's pretty good.

Yeah starcom is great.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

At this point I have this weird feeling that the nature of the genre is such that it attracts devs who are very likely to continue repeating the sins of the past

It doesn't help the few games (not even good ones, just decent) that tried to break genre conventions didn't do especially well

I am looking forward to Zephon, but mostly because of the setting, not because I think they'll fix fundamental issues

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1481170/ZEPHON/

These days I mostly look for beer and pretzels games along the lines of Warlock 2 because I have zero faith even AAA studios can make a 4x that solves any of the countless issues with them, but constrained wargames with some building elements at least have a prayer of putting up a fight

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah the remake was atrocious.

It was, though it does have some nutty mods that do some cool rear end poo poo. Colonization's detailed economic management, but actually meant to be played really gave it a distinct identity, combined with a victory condition that didn't involve taking all of the map. I thought it was an inspired choice that the other colonies, while they were competition, weren't the objective- nor even really were the Native Americans, though conquering them was certainly part of some approaches. ((On Viceroy it is actually very powerful to trade with them because they are not affected by the difficulty adjustments to European price collapses)).

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I want a game thats like Civ 4 Colonization but its in space

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That game and their previous game look so loving ugly.
It's really annoying trying to play spreadsheet games that have really murky blurry graphics.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I would also be suspicious of a game that self describes as "grimdark"

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

That game and their previous game look so loving ugly.
It's really annoying trying to play spreadsheet games that have really murky blurry graphics.

Part of why I could never play the Endless series. Just so loving ugly.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Part of why I could never play the Endless series. Just so loving ugly.

By "Endless series" you mean specifically Endless Legends? Because Endless Space looks extremely clean and crisp.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

They both look bland as hell to me

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Yeah they're polished, just oppressively boring. Play even moreso.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

They're beautiful but sterile games.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

OctaMurk posted:

I want a game thats like Civ 4 Colonization but its in space

i would also like a ck2 in space (that’s extremely camp of course)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

victrix posted:

At this point I have this weird feeling that the nature of the genre is such that it attracts devs who are very likely to continue repeating the sins of the past

It doesn't help the few games (not even good ones, just decent) that tried to break genre conventions didn't do especially well

I feel like EU4, or sims like Songs of Syx, have supplanted 4Xs for satisfying that itch lately.