Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

everdave posted:

When the big trucks are illegal who will deliver the electric cars?

Drones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Every time I rent a moving truck I wonder how it's possible for me to rent a 26 foot truck with 5 tons of hauling capacity without a CDL.

I used to work right next to a national park and HOO BOY the 30 foot Cruise America rental RVs made me more nervous than the bears or mountain lions.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

Every time I rent a moving truck I wonder how it's possible for me to rent a 26 foot truck with 5 tons of hauling capacity without a CDL.

I used to work right next to a national park and HOO BOY the 30 foot Cruise America rental RVs made me more nervous than the bears or mountain lions.

here's where I tell you that those 60 thousand pound diesel pushers only require a basic license to own and operate. The 85 year old retiree with cataracts has no concept of airbrakes, nor do they care. being a 'rv' exempts from everything.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

everdave posted:

I can see mileage in the concept of trolleybus-style pantograph pickups for heavy trucks on major roads, to make EV artics a viable option for long range trucking.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

everdave posted:

Half the posts are for the government and police to gently caress off and half are calls to make more things illegal. Just trying to keep up with what to think today.

One should ban things that are bad for the population as a whole: cops and big trucks.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ah but when you outlaw cops and big trucks, only outlaws will have cops and big trucks I am very smart.
:goonsay:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Abortions for some, miniature kei trucks for others

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
There’s a guy David Bazan, old band name Pedro The Lion. Has a song called big trucks. It’s good. I’d subject you to my 20 year old cover of it if I could find it

https://youtu.be/OzWLZtMoJrs

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

Abortions for some, miniature kei trucks for others
:hmmyes:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Do your part for the greater society. Don't fly, don't take cruises, don't drive polluting old shitboxes, sell your mcmansion with its water thirsty lawn in the desert, ride only bicycles, live in a tent, eat vegan.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Uthor posted:

One should ban things that are bad for the population as a whole: cops and big trucks.

:hmmyes:

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

canyoneer posted:

Early in the pandemic, I took a mini-vacation to a cabin in the mountains near Ashville. And when I started getting into the mountains, I realized quickly that almost all of the RV drivers and people pulling trailers were doing it for the first time. That was terrifying.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

cursedshitbox posted:

Do your part for the greater society. Don't fly, don't take cruises, don't drive polluting old shitboxes, sell your mcmansion with its water thirsty lawn in the desert, ride only bicycles, live in a tent, eat vegan.

I will be first against the wall when the revolution comes… well maybe second as I did removed my lawn in the desert.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Growing up in the NYC metro area, I always found it puzzling that you had to bring your car in for emission testing every year or two, but every single heavy truck was exempt from emissions testing. I mean real shitbox turbo diesel dump trucks from the 70's that just belch black smoke out as normal operation were totally cool. (this included the entire city bus fleet before they switched to hybrids) Those poor poor business owners that can't afford new trucks or literally any maintenance.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

everdave posted:

Half the posts are for the government and police to gently caress off and half are calls to make more things illegal. Just trying to keep up with what to think today.

Trains.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

100% of freight rail (USA) at the moment is diesel powered. Brilliant! You have my vote.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I would rather people not be allowed to buy trains and drive them on the road.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Please tell me the first amendment is about rights to own trains.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Powershift posted:

I would rather people not be allowed to buy trains and drive them on the road.
Oh come on, that only happened a couple of times.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Rolling coal legally.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Zero One posted:

Rolling coal legally.

*cringes in Diesel Mechanic*

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It allows you to run a train, there's a difference.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Artillery trains might be legal per the second amendment before long with the Supreme Court being what it is.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Isaiah 6:1 I'm sure Kavanaugh is a fan of trains too, so there's a justice who'll be pulling for something like that.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

everdave posted:

100% of freight rail (USA) at the moment is diesel powered. Brilliant! You have my vote.

Yep, and diesel trains have about 25-35% of the emissions per ton-mile of trucks. It's also easier to improve emissions tech on them because there's more room in the carbody of a locomotive for emissions control equipment and the higher per-unit cost supports it better. It's also much easier to electrify railroads.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Yep, and diesel trains have about 25-35% of the emissions per ton-mile of trucks. It's also easier to improve emissions tech on them because there's more room in the carbody of a locomotive for emissions control equipment and the higher per-unit cost supports it better. It's also much easier to electrify railroads.

Then it sounds like a no brainer! Just build tracks to every grocery store, warehouse, post office. Home, restaurant, uhh every place of business.

We will have it all worked out in no time. I’m in.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
We used to have that in LA and then the oil industry killed it.
https://www.streetcar.la/project-info/304-2/

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ether Frenzy posted:

We used to have that in LA and then the oil industry killed it.
https://www.streetcar.la/project-info/304-2/

Nothing in that article says anything about the oil industry. You shouldn't be spouting baseless conspiracy theories.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
You aren’t supposed to read the articles people post it ruins all the arguments come on

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

everdave posted:

Then it sounds like a no brainer! Just build tracks to every grocery store, warehouse, post office. Home, restaurant, uhh every place of business.

Yep, can confirm it's pretty nice in my area having trains to everywhere I need to go.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

everdave posted:

gently caress, if only it was possible to build some kind of electric vehicle with enough range to deliver goods the final miles from a rail freight depot.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Deteriorata posted:

Nothing in that article says anything about the oil industry. You shouldn't be spouting baseless conspiracy theories.

everdave posted:

You aren’t supposed to read the articles people post it ruins all the arguments come on

Sorry the 6 paragraph historical summary about what used to be hasn't answered all your questions. $140bn of oil company profits per year later, I'm pretty sure the willful destruction of an existing public transport system in a major american city can be put down to "American Individualism". Feel free to read up on it yourselves, it's not my theory that's behind this concept.

I'll get you started since 'do your own research' is lame. https://www.baltimoresun.com/me-2003-los-angeles-streetcar-history-story.html

The Baltimore Sun posted:

In 1945, Huntington's estate sold the Yellow Car system to American City Lines, a subsidiary of National City Lines, a Chicago-based company whose investors included General Motors and other big oil and rubber interests.

Here is where the conspiracy theorists have a point.

National City Lines soon controlled 46 transit networks in the Midwest and West, including Los Angeles. The company began scrapping these electric systems and replacing them with diesel buses that -- surprise -- used fuel and rubber.

Clearly, L.A.'s electric-car days were numbered.

By 1946, the Justice Department had caught on. It filed an antitrust suit against National City Lines for conspiracy to monopolize the transit industry. But before the suit came to trial in Chicago, the consortium of big companies bailed out, selling their holdings in National City Lines. That essentially left it as an empty corporation.

Sure sounds like it was "The love of the Car" that did them in and not big business looking for money and skirting regulations.

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jul 9, 2022

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
americans are epicly carcucked lmfao

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I love every single time this tweet pops up.

https://twitter.com/SunTwra/status/1531180234535485440?t=BdoXktH4FTR4PwPibEEeRw&s=19

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Our friend STR posted this in the chat and sent to me. His first or first few days of working at a Tesla factory. Drone flyover of employee parking lot and surrounding.

It is like if an advanced AI took all my arguments or reasoning and created this video. It’s beautiful! And 109% terrible car stuff so it works here!

https://youtu.be/zZFiTroVlRc

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

everdave posted:

We used to have them, but for some reason they all got torn up. Regardless local trucking isn't as big of an issue as long haul.

Of course the railroads are a mess because of profit motivated BS like PSR so some government intervention would definitely be necessary to make that sort of thing work again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1y-2CUetwM

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 9, 2022

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

BuckyDoneGun posted:

gently caress, if only it was possible to build some kind of electric vehicle with enough range to deliver goods the final miles from a rail freight depot.

Look Everdave's bringing up some great points, reducing carbon emissions is hard, so there's no point in making any effort whatsoever, just don't change anything at all so our grandkids all die in food riots.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Elviscat posted:

Look Everdave's bringing up some great points, reducing carbon emissions is hard, so there's no point in making any effort whatsoever, just don't change anything at all so our grandkids all die in food riots.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I think the video says enough, if you watch the whole thing.

Anyways, we are on a dead gay forum, I presented a case and we’ve talked about it time to move on.

I look forward to seeing more terrible car stuff

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

everdave fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
needing to own a car to participate in society is terrible car stuff