Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Portal 2 I think is maybe top 5 of all time. It’s sickeningly good. The way valve were telling stories in games over a decade ago is still lightyears ahead of nearly every other studio even today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Portal 2 I think is maybe top 5 of all time. It’s sickeningly good. The way valve were telling stories in games over a decade ago is still lightyears ahead of nearly every other studio even today

I loved it all over again. Maybe now I'll finally beat the co-op campaign.

Also, Wheatley's shocking lack of card knowledge surprised me. I'd completely forgotten about that bit.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
he's been meaning to learn!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The reason they never release a third game is bc itd be so good anyone who plays it dies of euphoria

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I have it on good authority that it's entirely because billionaire software developer Gabe Newell can't count to three

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

13 sentinels is really cool. the actual writing and story are fine but letting you pick the order creates context for each segment based on all your previous choices in a very clever way

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

he's been meaning to learn!

No joke, I'd love a solitaire/card game spin off with him as the dealer. Something better than Poker Night at the Inventory or whatever that was called.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I wrapped up Portal in a few hours, which is such a good length too. Going to dig into the bonus content while I'm at it. Tomorrow, I hope to start/beat Co-Op in Portal 2 with my friend in England. I've never done it so I'm looking forward to that.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So is this new snow brothers hosed up beyond microtransactions?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Really wish Portal 2 could use that level editor.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Add portals to Super Mario Maker 2 to commemorate this union

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I wrapped up Portal in a few hours, which is such a good length too. Going to dig into the bonus content while I'm at it. Tomorrow, I hope to start/beat Co-Op in Portal 2 with my friend in England. I've never done it so I'm looking forward to that.

The co-op is incredible. It’s a totally different campaign to the single player. Valve went all out with P2

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
My friend is pretty dumb in co-op with keyboard and mouse. Can't wait for them to be dumber with analog sticks. :homebrew:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Huxley posted:

I'm severely biased against ALL the weapons with gauges and levels and phials and reloading. Really just having to remember any kind of loop totally breaks the immersion of "me vs monster" that I love about these games.

SNS/Lance/DB feels like a fighting game to me and CB/LS/GL all feel like puzzle games. And I agree that it's really cool that this game where you fight dinosaurs gets to be both.

See I'm the opposite, I love having that loop to track in the back of my head as I'm fighting the monster, something about it feels soothing to my brain. I think it's because it gives a bunch of little micro goals I'm continuously checking off throughout the fight; without it my mind wanders and the fights feel like slogs. In Rise they basically removed that element from HH by making the songs so automated, and now it just kind of feels hollow for me to use.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

See I'm the opposite, I love having that loop to track in the back of my head as I'm fighting the monster, something about it feels soothing to my brain. I think it's because it gives a bunch of little micro goals I'm continuously checking off throughout the fight; without it my mind wanders and the fights feel like slogs. In Rise they basically removed that element from HH by making the songs so automated, and now it just kind of feels hollow for me to use.

There are switch skills that add tedium, if you want.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

mistermojo posted:

13 sentinels is really cool. the actual writing and story are fine but letting you pick the order creates context for each segment based on all your previous choices in a very clever way

Yeah. I'm glad I was able to do everything Juro last because (big honkin' spoiler): Juro sucks but also I got to deduce, infer, and speculate on things that were made explicit in his route.

Which I only did when I was absolutely forced to.

Because Juro sucks.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I like Juro, kid is out of his mind

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Portal is so freaking good.

:hmmyes:

it's perfect. no notes.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Zuzie posted:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1545213151091867648

I never actually played this game but its pretty strange seeing stuff from the anime appear in Pokemon spin-offs or a game IP unrelated to Pokemon getting branded with it.

Good version of PokeRap at the end

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

At the risk of being a real :can: I wasn't crazy about MonHun Rise.

The Japanese aesthetic with the village and character designs were cool. The Japanese aesthetic with tutorial boxes, menus, more menus, and two different buttons for wasting potions when I'm at full health, not so much. I could tell whatever I was doing was "playing it wrong."

I know there's a lot of ways to customize the game controls, I just got frustrated easily and wasn't having fun. I recognize the game isn't for me and that's ok. If y'all love the game so much that's ok too. Plz don't hate me for it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Waffle! posted:

At the risk of being a real :can: I wasn't crazy about MonHun Rise.

The Japanese aesthetic with the village and character designs were cool. The Japanese aesthetic with tutorial boxes, menus, more menus, and two different buttons for wasting potions when I'm at full health, not so much. I could tell whatever I was doing was "playing it wrong."

I know there's a lot of ways to customize the game controls, I just got frustrated easily and wasn't having fun. I recognize the game isn't for me and that's ok. If y'all love the game so much that's ok too. Plz don't hate me for it.

Nah, I love Monster Hunter but its interface is definitely an obstacle to push through. It's clunky, information isn't really organized intuitively, tutorial stuff is forcefed at a pace that doesn't really fit a good learning experience, etc. The best advice I can give to folks is to ignore most of the information and just learn at your own pace, because you can get pretty far into the game without using most of the support mechanics it has available or playing optimally. Just focus on one new thing, play and have fun, and when you're ready to learn something new then look at a different mechanic to figure out.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so portal plays fine on non-keyboard/mouse setup?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
This is what I struggle with, it seems like wire bug basics and a combo or two is enough to carry you really far but there is just all this other stuff.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just do that one swirl in the air attack with Insect Glaive over and over until monster dead. I don't get tired of it. I think someone in the thread earlier was complaining about glaive users who do that very thing but lmao idgaf

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

LuckyCat posted:

I just do that one swirl in the air attack with Insect Glaive over and over until monster dead. I don't get tired of it. I think someone in the thread earlier was complaining about glaive users who do that very thing but lmao idgaf

Yeah that was me. Some people treat the game overly clinically/mechanically--to "beat it" rather than enjoy loving up monsters and riding ninja hounds across mountain tops. They tire themselves by sticking to one thing and getting themselves bored (including more than 1 of my co-op friends).

Conversely, one of my buddies sticks solely to long sword and dies all the time, but also plays solo and refuses to change up much. And they've gotten to Sunbreak content completely solo. If you have fun spamming an attack to win, then do it to your heart's content. As others have said: that's what's good about this game. My main point was to caution against shoehorning yourself into something to the point it makes you like the game less.

Morter fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 9, 2022

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

abelwingnut posted:

Yes. To be sure, I can't speak to the Switch version, but I've played a bunch of Portal 2 on Xbox (and am currently replaying it; I just like the writing so much), and there are no issues there. It isn't tuned such that controller use is an issue.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

No joke, I'd love a solitaire/card game spin off with him as the dealer. Something better than Poker Night at the Inventory or whatever that was called.

PNatI ruled, though. Just video game dudes playing cards and shooting the poo poo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

abelwingnut posted:

Why wouldn't it?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Calidus posted:

This is what I struggle with, it seems like wire bug basics and a combo or two is enough to carry you really far but there is just all this other stuff.

Yeah, I bounced off the series three or four times before it finally clicked for me. If it bugs you to ignore all the optimal support mechanics you might be better off putting the game aside, or at least coming back later when you have some time to dig in.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Add me to the list of people who bounced off Monster Hunter several times before finally getting into it. For me World was the one that helped me actually "get it" but I don't remember if it was more approachable than Rise from a total newcomer standpoint.

Nothing in the game is nearly as complex as the initial tutorials make it seem, but it's still really overwhelming at first. It can be hard for me to come back to it when I've put it down for a while, too, so I definitely get it. What always helps me is just getting out there and hunting. That's the core of the game and really everything ties into that and is easier to understand once you're going through the whole loop.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Morter posted:

Conversely, one of my buddies sticks solely to long sword and dies all the time, but also plays solo and refuses to change up much. And they've gotten to Sunbreak content completely solo.

I got them to send me pics of their gear/skills. And to repeat, they've beaten (main game, before Sunbreak) endgame stuff. :nallears:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

He's basically one of those clownshoes pubbies you run into.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Len posted:

Why wouldn't it?

It takes a whole lot more wizardry to make aiming with a gamepad feel good than it does to just turn off mouse smoothing and allow hardware mouse tracking. There's a lot more to go wrong with programming the feel of a gamepad.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Harrow posted:

Add me to the list of people who bounced off Monster Hunter several times before finally getting into it. For me World was the one that helped me actually "get it" but I don't remember if it was more approachable than Rise from a total newcomer standpoint.

Nothing in the game is nearly as complex as the initial tutorials make it seem, but it's still really overwhelming at first. It can be hard for me to come back to it when I've put it down for a while, too, so I definitely get it. What always helps me is just getting out there and hunting. That's the core of the game and really everything ties into that and is easier to understand once you're going through the whole loop.

You all make me want to get into it again, but I have no memory of how to do SnS or Hunting Horn and I have no desire to re-watch a tutorial video. Calling it a fighting game is pretty apt in that regard.

What're easier weapons to get into? I'm already dreading the grind to get the weapons that I'll need for the higher levels, but maybe if I find one I gel with it won't be so bad.

I like faster weapons myself and at this point I need something that doesn't require slick combos to learn.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Hammer isn't exactly fast in terms of rapid attacks, but it's very simple and you can be pretty agile with it. I mained it a lot pre-Rise (and maybe I should get back to it...). Just aim for the head!

Morter fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 9, 2022

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

SeANMcBAY posted:

Anyone get Klonoa on Switch? How’s the performance?

The demo feels a little dippy but still acceptable to me but wondering if it gets better/worse in the full game?

Sakurazuka posted:

'Choppy' sounds bad for Klonoa and it's not really a port per se but both games entirely remade in Unity which is generally not great on Switch.

Klonoa (at least the first one) runs fine handheld IMO, I only noticed an issue when a dozen ghosts spawned at once

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You all make me want to get into it again, but I have no memory of how to do SnS or Hunting Horn and I have no desire to re-watch a tutorial video. Calling it a fighting game is pretty apt in that regard.

What're easier weapons to get into? I'm already dreading the grind to get the weapons that I'll need for the higher levels, but maybe if I find one I gel with it won't be so bad.

I like faster weapons myself and at this point I need something that doesn't require slick combos to learn.

I haven’t used it much yet other than in the demo but I think maybe dual blades sounds like it might be good for what you’re asking

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

GreatGreen posted:

It takes a whole lot more wizardry to make aiming with a gamepad feel good than it does to just turn off mouse smoothing and allow hardware mouse tracking. There's a lot more to go wrong with programming the feel of a gamepad.

portal 2 launched onto consoles in 2011, controller aiming isn't some impenetrable thing that's impossible to use

Len posted:

Why wouldn't it?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

DuhSal posted:

I haven’t used it much yet other than in the demo but I think maybe dual blades sounds like it might be good for what you’re asking

I thought about those too. If the combos aren't as specific as SnS, I may just manage it fine. I know there's a meter, but that's easy enough to keep track of and then pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I like how in Monster Hunter half the time they're like "these beasts are part of the natural world and we must preserve its order and balance" and the other half it's like "this monster got mud on my shirt and now I want you to kill it"

Anyway I'm watching The Sea Beast on Netflix and the beginning of it has very strong Monster Hunter vibes.