Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Havocs still seem cool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Kharnifex posted:

Havocs still seem cool?
They’re still pretty good. The main problem is they’ve lost the ability to mix and match heavy weapons within the squad which has made me a bit grumpy because I have squads with either lascannons or missile launchers mixed with autocannons to act as ablative wounds for the more expensive guns that aren’t legal any more.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
They can take Precision Shots (6+) Lascannnons - they're absolutely crazy good for killing every character your opponent has. I feel like at least one unit is almost an auto-include for IW players.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

It also sets up the Death Eagles, since it notes that they kept their original colours (and that white was a common colour used in loyalist detachments). So since they were probably also running out of purple paint, they'd wind up in the black-and-white colours they have as a chapter post-heresy.

quote:

War of the False Primarch — 860.M33. Convened as part of the Pentarchy of Blood to enact the judgement of the High Lords of Terra, systematically destroying eleven chapters of the Adeptus Astartes judged Traitoris Perdita.

ELEVEN CHAPTERS?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

How's the assault ram compared to last edition? I still really like the model but if it's not much use in 2.0 it'll go down the priority list.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Cpt Soban posted:

ELEVEN CHAPTERS?

Would you like to know more?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Oh that’s a cool project

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

ijyt posted:

How's the assault ram compared to last edition? I still really like the model but if it's not much use in 2.0 it'll go down the priority list.

IIRC it lost the “Terminators only take up one slot” ability, which makes it a pretty expensive way to carry 10 power armored dudes around.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Other than the FW autocannon kit, does anyone make Marine autocannons that aren't Chaos-ed to hell? Surprised I haven't found a single third party manufacturer that makes them for anything but vehicles or Guard HWTs, and not finding any will put a dent in building Havocs with them.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
If you can wait, GW is releasing a kit in the next few months: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/07/revealed-tool-up-your-new-mark-vi-space-marines-with-an-arsenal-of-classic-weapons/

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I should have clarified - looking for compatibility with the MkIII kit to make "correct" Havocs. The MkVI hands have Rayman syndrome with the older Marine kits, so on top of the arms being wrong for MkVI I don't have high hopes for compatibility. (I can make it work, just an unnecessary pain in the rear end.)

Every other special and heavy weapon, people seem to have made bits for that are compatible with the old kits - this is the only one that's been skipped, and for an iconic weapon of an iconic unit that didn't make it into plastic until 2019 I'm actually baffled.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I would, but the website has a bad certificate.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

New plastic Predator

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/07/08/tackle-anything-the-age-of-darkness-throws-at-you-with-the-versatile-new-predator/

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://youtu.be/pPLHZKPR9Bc

Someone showing some pretty simple methods for painting the first half of the legions. I didn't realize Dark Angels looked like that, even though I'm familiar with that iconic old painting.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Missing the only gun that I would have taken them with, f.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SkyeAuroline posted:

Missing the only gun that I would have taken them with, f.

They'll likely release a second box with those options like they did with the AT Warlord/Reaver kit, and hopefully then just release a sprue of just weapons.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Analyze the Glaive for me, because I have one but am bad at math.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Beerdeer posted:

Analyze the Glaive for me, because I have one but am bad at math.

It's 700 points and its main gun is now AP3, without Breaching or Rending, so it's pretty much only good for killing MEQs, which is not a niche that you need a 700-point model to cover. A S8 shot that does 1+D3 hits against vehicles is okay, but not enough to warrant the points there, either. It's simply far too expensive for what it can do.

To compare, a 10-man Heavy Support squad with Lascannons is 275 points.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Yeah but it looks cool so who cares.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Leviathan weapons all seem good and quite strong. Is there any particular build out worth prioritizing? The melta and a claw or drill is appealing, but maybe melee AT with a big base is a bad idea?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

GreenMarine posted:

Leviathan weapons all seem good and quite strong. Is there any particular build out worth prioritizing? The melta and a claw or drill is appealing, but maybe melee AT with a big base is a bad idea?

Gotta be able to defend against Dreadnoughts, and doing so in melee with one of your own is a good way to do it.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Jack B Nimble posted:

https://youtu.be/pPLHZKPR9Bc

Someone showing some pretty simple methods for painting the first half of the legions. I didn't realize Dark Angels looked like that, even though I'm familiar with that iconic old painting.

I like that dryer sheet technique for making marble bases. Very clever

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Converted Alpha Legion praetor hell yeah

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Finished a Kratos:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Ended up picking up the box set today. Confirmed with the local community that no, there's no bayonets with shrapnel bolters in the interpretation they've been using. So, guess I've got an extra 80 points to spend and the vast bulk of my "use tacticals to pin down targets and chase them down with bayonets, trench raid style" is now invalidated along with most of my intended theming. Cool, I guess. It's not worth splashing out for chainswords on either the main 20-man block or the 10-man blocks in terms of point cost for effectiveness, is it?

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Confirmed with the local community that no, there's no bayonets with shrapnel bolters in the interpretation they've been using.

That might be rules as written, but it still sounds like a pretty dumb take on the rules. How many of your local community plays legions that have access to variant Bolters?

SkyeAuroline posted:

It's not worth splashing out for chainswords on either the main 20-man block or the 10-man blocks in terms of point cost for effectiveness, is it?

Definitely not. Chainswords might be worth it at like 3 points, but they’re absolutely not worth it at 5. Especially not on 1A Tacticals.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Broken Record Talk posted:

That might be rules as written, but it still sounds like a pretty dumb take on the rules. How many of your local community plays legions that have access to variant Bolters?

Of the people in the store at the time I asked, one (store owner) gets hosed by a different variant weapon rule (he has a ton of combi flamers... which Salamanders can't upgrade), one is another IW player, one is unaffected... Fists player, I think? Community has multiple Alpha Legion players, no Sons (either legion, both get them) that I know of, and I think we're the two IW. So at least 4 people play the legions, probably less actually use them to be affected. May well be that I'm the only person who actually tried to use them on tacs.

I'm not in touch with the entire community, though - they exclusively organize through Facebook, my old personal Facebook is in that inactive mode (with no intent to reactivate it), and any time I've tried to make an account without my actual personal details it's been banned in minutes, before I even post or message anything, with a demand for legal ID to prove my identity. So I'm limited to just the ~7 I've seen in the shop.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Hixson posted:

Finished a Kratos:

Very nice

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Remind me never to post pics of what I paint or model in this thread......a lot of amazing things showed here recently

I did pre-order some of the heavy weapons because i NEED a 10 man heavy flamer Death Guard squad hopping out of a Rhino and burning people to feel joy in my life

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Hixson is in a different category than the rest of the thread. Just paint and post.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
If it helps, here's some sorta speedpainted melta guys I finished tonight

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Those are great. Nice work!

GreenMarine posted:

The grav bombard is "dog poo poo" bad

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

JcDent posted:

Suggesting knowledgeable goons do a rating of PDF stuff?

Granted, that's a shitton of entries to sift thru...

I can periodically go through some of these with commentary. I'm just one person though, and these are my opinions, so your mileage may very. Its a fresh new edition after all.

Legion Primus Nullificator Consul
While its tough to say how good his rules will be against daemons, against astartes he gets a solid MEQ killing ranged power and a maul that will eat them for breakfast. He also has the option to take a full on disintegrateor, potentially making him quite lethal at range. Overall its a pretty solid choice with a number of options to tweak to your flavor.

Legion Warmonger Consul
Not nearly as good as before, but still a solid consul. He's the guy you use to deepstrike a unit that normally doesn't have it without relying on a RoW. This can be a pillar for some lists or redundant for others. No longer works in ZM.

Legion Nullificator Squad
Its tough to say how these guys fit into the meta without daemon rules, but on the nose their shock mauls will do work against MEQ. Each is also able to take a disintegrateor, making them potentially a very lethal shooting unit. The mauls, however, don't do anything against TEQ. They're also cataphracts, so they can't run or sweep, making them less useful for hunting MEQ. So you got an expensive and slow elite hunting unit. If you buy them power fists AND disintegrateors to hunt TEQ, you're looking at 75ppm. There's potential here, but its not cheap, and it probably requires some list building finesse.

Legion Castra Ferrum Dreadnought Talon
One of the better balanced expanded units when compared to core units. Its cheaper than a contemptor, T6, attacks at I2, and instant death does 3 wounds. Despite that it gets most of the contemptor weapons and is still a 5W T6 model with a 2+5++. These guys are solid, and not as oppressive as contemptors, so I expect to see them on the table.

Legion Spatha Attack Bike Squadron
There isn't much redeeming about them. An attack bike or sky hunter costs less for more firepower or more wounds. Or you could step up and get a land speeder for more firepower, more wounds, and T5 at the same cost. No scout, no hit and run, not even rules to represent the other riders on the sidecar. Its a low effort, complete miss, by the rules writing team.

Tarantula Sentry Gun Battery
With BS2 and the Sentry Protocol rule, these are hard to justify taking when you have so many better alternatives. Another example of a writer copy pasting stats while omitting the special rules that made them work.

Terminator Indomitus Squad
Another one of the better balanced expanded units when compared to core units. These guys fit between Tartaros and Cataphractii- they can't run, but they can sweep, they move only 6", but they can upgrade themselves to have a 4++. No spartans, limited special weapons, but cheap chainfists and thunderhammers. These guys are generalists and they're troops, which means you can take a lot of them, but critically, they don't have line and they are not compulsory. A good option for a number of legions and lists.

Avenger Strike Fighter
An example of poor overall balance, 170points without upgrades compared to the core xiphon at 105pts is tough to stomach. Ontop of this its lost some special rules and many weapon options. 3HP is welcome, but for an armored ground attack aircraft, its got lighter armor than the xiphon. Usable, but not well balanced.

Thunderbolt Fighter
Another example of poor balance, the core xiphon at 105pts does everything the thunderbolt wants to do, better, for less points.

Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter
The premiere armor hunter from the 1st edition, the Lightning returns in the .pdf with a points hike, less special rules, and less weapon options. Without these special rules, you'll need 6 Kraken penetrators vs 4 to grantee a spartan kill. That means 245pts... which gives it a place in some lists. In others, however, you might want two xiphons instead. Or perhaps, something else entirely.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 9, 2022

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
Probably worth pointing out that the Xiphon is absolute broken bullshit at 105 points, to the point where its cost has almost got to be a typo, which is the main issue with the 3 planes in the PDF.

If you want to be “that guy”, take nothing but Xiphons and Contemptors lol

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I

That's exactly what I'm saying.

I've got an Ahriman model I'm working on for a friend, that's kitbashed using the 30k and 40k kits, and I'm planning on painting it mid-transition, with a glowing line of "magic warp bullshit" dividing the two sections.

I really wanna see this because that sounds dope as gently caress!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

So, having picked up the box: I'm guessing I should wait until I can find (or afford) cyclone launchers to make Tyrants out of the terminators rather than use them straight, yeah? Reshuffled my list some thanks to the bayonet issue, took the Havocs out (sadly), and with Tyrants had enough points for "two Rhinos" and basically nothing else... which is two more than I ever hoped to paint, as someone without an airbrush, but whatever, I'll make it work.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Kleedrac posted:

I really wanna see this because that sounds dope as gently caress!

If I ever get around to finishing it, I’ll be sure to post it!

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

SkyeAuroline posted:

So, having picked up the box: I'm guessing I should wait until I can find (or afford) cyclone launchers to make Tyrants out of the terminators rather than use them straight, yeah? Reshuffled my list some thanks to the bayonet issue, took the Havocs out (sadly), and with Tyrants had enough points for "two Rhinos" and basically nothing else... which is two more than I ever hoped to paint, as someone without an airbrush, but whatever, I'll make it work.

Highly recommend using the new vehicle Havoc launchers to convert Cataphractii to Tyrants. I don’t have a picture handy, but you should be able to find them online pretty easily.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If I ever get around to finishing it, I’ll be sure to post it!

You've probably already realized this, but you'll be able to make two of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

moths posted:

You've probably already realized this, but you'll be able to make two of him.

You have clearly not seen me cut up a model for bitz! 1 + 1 = like 1.25 viable models lol