Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Airport goon checking in.

During the flight I smiled to myself when I realized the Deck has allowed me to join an elite and rare group: People who have played (emulated) Bomberman for the Sega Saturn on an airplane. lol.
Only elite if you had someone play multiplayer with you :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

During the flight I smiled to myself when I realized the Deck has allowed me to join an elite and rare group: People who have played (emulated) Bomberman for the Sega Saturn on an airplane. lol.

Yes but that's mainly because emulating bombermen on airplanes has been highly frowned upon

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Vic posted:

Yes but that's mainly because emulating bombermen on airplanes has been highly frowned upon

Laffin on line

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've never been any good at Bomberman since the Megadrive one where you could trivially trap the AI bomberman in a corner with his own bombs.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
My Deck has been in Shipping Soon status for 2 days now.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

FuriousGeorge posted:

My Deck has been in Shipping Soon status for 2 days now.

If it's anything like mine from last thursday it'll ship monday.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vic posted:

God drat, lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've been having an issue with my steam deck I'm not sure you guys are experiencing as well. I've noticed that no matter what I do my Steam deck owns. I can't stop all these games from loading really fast and looking great. As a Switch owner I feel like something has to be wrong.

Ezane
Sep 27, 2016
The calculator now says I’ll get my email first week of August, a full month sooner than it originally did. Am I mistaken in believing I could expect it sooner than that? I know someone up thread said that they got theirs weeks earlier than the calculator guessed.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

veni veni veni posted:

I've been having an issue with my steam deck I'm not sure you guys are experiencing as well. I've noticed that no matter what I do my Steam deck owns. I can't stop all these games from loading really fast and looking great. As a Switch owner I feel like something has to be wrong.

Disco Elysium looks better on my wife's Switch than my Deck. But I haven't much tweaked it (and she's been going nuts for the content).

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Why the hell are airplane power outlets never ever good at keeping power bricks working? How else can I showcase my cool tech no one else cares about for 6 hours??!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Ezane posted:

The calculator now says I’ll get my email first week of August, a full month sooner than it originally did. Am I mistaken in believing I could expect it sooner than that? I know someone up thread said that they got theirs weeks earlier than the calculator guessed.

Honestly the calculators are guesses, almost anything could happen. Try not to overthink it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Why the hell are airplane power outlets never ever good at keeping power bricks working? How else can I showcase my cool tech no one else cares about for 6 hours??!

Yeah this is why I always carry a battery pack. At least I’ll get a good 4 hours if the outlet is hosed.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah this is why I always carry a battery pack. At least I’ll get a good 4 hours if the outlet is hosed.

Same. The outlet will at least charge the battery pack (slowly) as a fallback

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Would you say the smaller screen size and resolution makes up for having to decrease quality options? I feel silly. My turn for a steam deck should be coming up fairly soon. But I'm having second thoughts about it. I have a pretty beefy PC at home and for some reason I think the Steam Deck is going to facilitate me playing all these games I have in my backlog. Which is true to a point. Being able to play games on the couch while my kiddos are playing their own games or watching TV will be great instead of me being secluded to my office playing on my rig.

But again my brain is having issues convincing me it's worth it when I could play these games currently at 1440p and 140+ FPS for the most part on my PC. Does that make sense?

The other part of the steam deck though is having the ultimate portable emulation device. A lot of my favorite games is old SNES/PS1/PS2/GBA games and I'm so hyped to play those on a capable handheld with a big screen.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Delivery was originally estimated for Wednesday. Actually got into town & out for delivery on Friday. “Operational delay”, out for delivery again today, another “operational delay”. Why does Valve have to use the worst shipping option?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Disappointing Pie posted:

Would you say the smaller screen size and resolution makes up for having to decrease quality options? I feel silly. My turn for a steam deck should be coming up fairly soon. But I'm having second thoughts about it. I have a pretty beefy PC at home and for some reason I think the Steam Deck is going to facilitate me playing all these games I have in my backlog. Which is true to a point. Being able to play games on the couch while my kiddos are playing their own games or watching TV will be great instead of me being secluded to my office playing on my rig.

But again my brain is having issues convincing me it's worth it when I could play these games currently at 1440p and 140+ FPS for the most part on my PC. Does that make sense?

The other part of the steam deck though is having the ultimate portable emulation device. A lot of my favorite games is old SNES/PS1/PS2/GBA games and I'm so hyped to play those on a capable handheld with a big screen.

Counterpoint: if you were going to play them on your 140 FPS 1440p computer they probably wouldn't still be on your backlog

I can't speak to your specific circumstances making it "worth it" or not but the ability to not be locked into one sitting position in one chair in one part of the house is one of those benefits that's very YMMV but I was already liking it in a post-switch world so the deck was a bit of a no-brainer

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Disappointing Pie posted:

You might be surprised at how much you enjoy using it, despite having to crank the settings down. On such a small screen, the differences aren't *that* dramatic (to my eye, at least). I'd suggest trying it out for a month and seeing how much you like it. They're in such hot demand that you could easily sell it to someone if you really don't want it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the thing i've often noticed when tweaking graphical settings is that post-processing settings are more obvious in degradation than, say, turning the shadow quality down (which has much more of an impact on framerate). was that way with Pumpkin Jack and Adaca.

if games have a resolution scale setting, you can probably dial it down a tiny amount and it won't be super noticeable for saving an extra 3-5fps if you need it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I should order a steam deck to be delivered every Monday. Weekends take forever when you’re anticipating the arrival.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

POST YOUR TOP 3 FAVORITE GAMES TO PLAY ON THE STEAM DECK

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Celeste, rhythm doctor, metal gear rising revengeance

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

State of decay 2, no man’s sky, Skyrim

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Also caves of qud

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Crystal project and FF7R

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MarcusSA posted:

Crystal project and FF7R

And emulators

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh and boarderlands 3 apparently because I just bought that for my plane ride home

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I had a lot of fun with a short hike on the long plane ride today

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Animal posted:

I would, but I DON'T HAVE ONE YET, VALVE!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

yakuza like a dragon and tunic. those are the only two games i've played on it so far.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Monster Hunter: Rise

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I just played Bioshock 2 remastered entirely on the deck. Hate the hacking in that game, and the early game balance was kinda hosed, but overall I enjoyed it. Not as good as the first game of course but the novelty of playing it on the steam deck really helped.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Animal posted:

Death Stranding, Hitman 3, God Hand

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Spaz Medicine posted:

I just got my deck and it seems really neat, but vibration seems pretty loud? A lot of the time it's fine, but the haptics from typing on the keyboard makes a noticeable noise, even when the volume is turned down. Rumble in games also sometimes causes a sort of high-pitched buzzing sound. It's not noticeable with headphones on, but it's very noticeable without them. Does anybody else's do this? Is it a normal thing, or should I try and get a replacement?

Just wanted to follow this up - I made a ticket with Steam Support, and after having me try turning the haptics down (I did, and they were still loud as gently caress), they've initiated the RMA process for me. Talking with support was a pretty smooth process with very little heartburn, maybe because I linked them to videos of the issue in the ticket description. Bummer that I have to wait a little longer for a working Deck, but these things happen, and I'm happy that they seem to be willing to resolve the issue with minimal hassle on my part.

I did play a little Monster Hunter Rise on it though, and drat it runs smooth. This is such a cool thing and I'm excited to have a working one in the future.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So far Titanfall 2, COD infinite Warfare, Doom2016

I've played a wide variety of games on it, but being able to bust through a fun FPS campaign while having it look so nice and play so well has been my favorite thing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I bought project zomboid in the sale because I have been curious about it for years and it absolutely should not be verified. The controller support is real bad.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Inscryption runs really well on Deck.

Which is great, because Inscryption fuckin' rules.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Top 3 so far: Death Stranding, Dragon Quest XI, Slay the Spire.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

Animal posted:

Yakuza 7, Shadowman Remastered, Streets of Rage 4.

Now the games I have actually spent the most time on: Cookie Clicker, EDF5, Castlevania Advance Collection

Trucker Hat fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

So far I've mostly played Siralim Ultimate, Monster Sanctuary, and Cats Organized Neatly, which are all games I could probably play on a phone. I definitely will get around to Elden Ring. Someday.