Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
The old Far Cry's play great, I've been playing loads of 2 and 3 at 60fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Vampire Survivors, Monolith, and Patrick's Parabox

Portable Monolith is amazing.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Batman Arkham, 20 minutes till dawn, jump king

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
Vampire Survivors, Olli Olli World & Superhot: Mind Control Delete.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Animal posted:

POST YOUR TOP 3 FAVORITE GAMES TO PLAY ON THE STEAM DECK

Elden ring, Stardew valley, and hyper light drifter

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

I bought project zomboid in the sale because I have been curious about it for years and it absolutely should not be verified. The controller support is real bad.

Are you using the trackpad as mouse method or just full sticks?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Animal posted:

i do not replay games as I am more about beating games and moving on (and i've beaten 57 games on the Deck so far)

but my top 3 games that i've played on it were Crystal Project, Grapple Dog and The Eternal Castle which i just played and drat that game rules. Prior to that, I guess Dysmantle.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Yesterday my 512gb model Steam Deck arrived! And I discovered that it is totally fine with downloading games over my 5ghz network, except when it tries to download FF14 through XIVLauncher. Not only does it lose connection to the network while it's downloading, it somehow breaks that network completely and makes every other device currently connected to it disconnect as well. The only fix is to cycle the power on my router. :psyduck:

But after I very slowly downloaded FF14 over 2ghz, I was pleased to find that it works great!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The attempt to download borderlands 3 over hotel wifi was wildly unsuccessful lol. This is a pretty decent hotel but they limit the download speeds pretty hard.

Oh well guess I won’t be playing that on the flight home!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

The attempt to download borderlands 3 over hotel wifi was wildly unsuccessful lol. This is a pretty decent hotel but they limit the download speeds pretty hard.

You could give Borderlands 1 or 2 a shot, they should be 10 gigs.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I really want to get classic everquest working on the steam deck, but the controls are an issue.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ShaneB posted:

Are you using the trackpad as mouse method or just full sticks?

Was using sticks but the movement wasn’t the problem. The inventory seems completely messed up with a controller. Like I cant exit out of things

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I'm not big on emulation but I just gave EmuDeck a try and this is really amazing. What's the easiest way of permanently changing shaders for a whole platform (ie. always load this shader for SNES games)? I tried Override Content Directory or something and that did not seem to work.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Yesterday my 512gb model Steam Deck arrived! And I discovered that it is totally fine with downloading games over my 5ghz network, except when it tries to download FF14 through XIVLauncher. Not only does it lose connection to the network while it's downloading, it somehow breaks that network completely and makes every other device currently connected to it disconnect as well. The only fix is to cycle the power on my router. :psyduck:

But after I very slowly downloaded FF14 over 2ghz, I was pleased to find that it works great!

How does FFXIV run on it? Was planning to use it for a similar purpose along with a bunch of indie titles

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

an iksar marauder posted:

I really want to get classic everquest working on the steam deck, but the controls are an issue.
Did you look at the community layouts? There's one in there that has a couple thousand hours of playtime that looks pretty good. Uses pop up menus on the trackpad for your hotbars.

e: oh wait, if you're not playing daybreak you could probably just download the controls and export them to use on classic also

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 10, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sailormoon posted:

How does FFXIV run on it? Was planning to use it for a similar purpose along with a bunch of indie titles

Fantastic.

I have it set to 40fps (like everything else) and it’s smooth as butter.

I’m sure it will do 60 no problem I just try and get a little extra battery life out of it. It’s nice to tether the deck to my phone and play online.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

sailormoon posted:

I didn't play it for very long, but it was running great at 60 fps. Hardest issue you'll have is fixing your UI so it scales down to the smaller resolution.

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Yesterday my 512gb model Steam Deck arrived! And I discovered that it is totally fine with downloading games over my 5ghz network, except when it tries to download FF14 through XIVLauncher.

I have found my Deck really doesn't like 5ghz wifi at all, I couldn't even get it to finish setup without disconnecting and freezing when it failed to auto reconnect until I switched it to the 2.4 band. I've tried it a few times since and it just doesn't wanna stay connected for long.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Has anyone gotten Mod the Spire working on Deck?

When I load it I just get a black screen. If I click, the Mod the Spire menu flashes into view then back to black so I know it's loading and running, it's just being rendered incorrectly.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

homeless snail posted:

Did you look at the community layouts? There's one in there that has a couple thousand hours of playtime that looks pretty good. Uses pop up menus on the trackpad for your hotbars.

e: oh wait, if you're not playing daybreak you could probably just download the controls and export them to use on classic also

Yeah, I want to try getting project 1999's client running. It's a little difficult. I have a microSD card, is it possible to somehow copy over my files from my PC to there? Or should I install windows 11, then transfer the files using a usb connection to my own PC or something? Warpinator doesn't really work for this I think, since it's not a portable install.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Animal posted:

I've had mine about 3 weeks,. Current 3 are Vampire survivors, mgs revengeance and plague tale. Crazy how good the latter looks

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

My 3 favorite games on Deck:

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 III (using GOG launcher, so the proper version, has hot seat mode as well so you can pass the deck around)
Spirit Island
All the emulated gameboy ROMs I've collected

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, I want to try getting project 1999's client running. It's a little difficult. I have a microSD card, is it possible to somehow copy over my files from my PC to there? Or should I install windows 11, then transfer the files using a usb connection to my own PC or something? Warpinator doesn't really work for this I think, since it's not a portable install.
Easiest way is probably just install it in desktop mode and point Steam at it. Looks like Lutris has a p99 script that will download and install it for you but Lutris is kinda flaky imo. I'd probably just get Bottles from the discovery store and run the installer in that.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

go through my posts to find my instructions for setting up wireless file transfer

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll get it to work now. I'll just need to set up some hotkeys so I can play with the back buttons as well.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The diversity of the “3 Favorite Games” answers proves what an amazing device this is. I can’t wait to receive mine tomorrow… hopefully!

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

I can hugely recommend older games like HoMM3. They're built for smaller screens and with HD patches will run at a lovely 60 fps with zero stuttering.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How do you get GZDoom controlling properly? I got it and ZDL to start up fine but none of the community layouts seem to do anything but give me a gyro-controlled mouse cursor. The DPad, sticks and buttons don't do anything.

Edit: Oh they were just made by crazy people. I made my own and published it at "GZDoom for Steam Deck." It'll be a work in progress for a bit.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 10, 2022

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Animal posted:

Sekiro
Dorf Romantik
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Goddamn, Emudeck is awesome. Using the left thumb pad as a quick menu in the PS1 emulator is real smart use of the deck hardware. I think I’m going to mostly be using my super expensive computer box for playing 25 year old games.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Animal posted:

The diversity of the “3 Favorite Games” answers proves what an amazing device this is. I can’t wait to receive mine tomorrow… hopefully!

yep.

played most of Hitman 3 on the Deck even though I waited for the RTX patch the entire time :zoid:

otherwise its a lot of Slay the Spire and a large variety of others at the moment. I've still not come around trying Jurassic World as it's basically a game mostly defined through it's visuals, but also a building game very well designed for controllers.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Guilty Gear Strive
FIST Forged in Shadow Torch
Thimbleweed Park (touchscreen is great for point and click adventures)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

sanity check

https://www.amazon.com/Nekteck-Charger-Certified-Foldable-Compatible/dp/B09MD9HJG6/
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerExpand-Adapter-Delivery-Ethernet/dp/B087QZVQJX/

Good for the Steam Deck? Trying to make sure the dock is fast enough to not be slowed down by the dock

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09ZTHNC6L/

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 11, 2022

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

MarcusSA posted:

If you are in the US this can be solved by 30 minutes at a starbucks

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
What are the best shooters to try on the deck because the hl2 controls are weirdly jank

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Impermanent posted:

What are the best shooters to try on the deck because the hl2 controls are weirdly jank
Looks like the default binding is like a gamepad which I imagine sucks with hl2, it never had good controller support. You're probably better off setting the trackpad up as a mouse, I see some community layouts on there that do the same thing.

Anything else that came out on consoles is probably fine and has sane gamepad controls, anything that didn't you can make fine if you gently caress with steam input enough.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Impermanent posted:

Titanfall 2 is ace on Deck.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Carteret posted:

Monster Hunter: Rise

I dropped every other game I was playing HARD once Sunbreak came out. God drat this game is so loving good.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

What are the emulators to run on this thing? Something from the store, or is the install non steam

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Goodpancakes posted:

What are the emulators to run on this thing? Something from the store, or is the install non steam

Your one stop shop for emulation

https://www.emudeck.com

Also had my first game crash today after god knows how many hours.

Skyrim CTD hopefully I didn’t lose too much progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I’ve had weird glitches in P4G where some of the major cutscenes don’t play at all even using the replay function so “verified” games aren’t necessarily fully working