Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Arzaac posted:

I've been having fun but I admit the economy of it seems real hosed. I haven't found a better moneymaking action than begging, especially because with enough charisma it turns into street performing and eventually orating.

Diogenes-simulator is a perfectly valid way to play the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was excited for the premise since it always seemed like fertile ground for an idler but I've never met a loop game I actually liked.

Zyxyz posted:

Welp, spent a couple hours and ~8 lives getting as far as the 10k tael house by trial and error, then found out from looking up the reddit thread about it that actually I had been completely wasting my time by not having grinded out a useless-looking action to unlock alchemy bc that gatekeeps all the actual cultivation stuff and key mechanics. blah
What action is that? Alchemy? How do you unlock it?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Arzaac posted:

I've been having fun but I admit the economy of it seems real hosed. I haven't found a better moneymaking action than begging, especially because with enough charisma it turns into street performing and eventually orating.

As you unlock professions through the Lore skills - your 'apprentice blacksmithing' and the like - those skills' income scale with the relevant Lore (so Wood Lore for Woodworking, for instance) and get pretty lucrative eventually

The game is good, but pretty obtuse

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sindai posted:

my best guess is Burn Things to get Fire Lore, oh poo poo it might be Gather Herbs

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Sindai posted:

I looked it up, it's Gathering Herbs to upgrade your Wood Lore.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

As you unlock professions through the Lore skills - your 'apprentice blacksmithing' and the like - those skills' income scale with the relevant Lore (so Wood Lore for Woodworking, for instance) and get pretty lucrative eventually

The game is good, but pretty obtuse

I was kind of expecting that; I was basically squatting in the $1,000 house and training up the lore skills while using begging for upkeep, it's just real slow and I haven't had a bunch of time to play.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I had to look into the code to figure out what Fire lore even does.

I think you need (minor spoiler about unlocks) fairly small amounts of it for certain unlocks, e.g., lvl 1 or 10. I think it affects pay for some jobs.

And it's one part of an achievement (more significant spoiler, mid/late? game) that unlocks mana (it's not something you can rush, if you've unlocked Core Cultivation, you're probably in the ballpark of when you can actually do it.)

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 10, 2022

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
how are you supposed to not just die to a lot of mice? like eventually my fighting outweighs my 1 rest healing and if I spend more time on resting it just pushes that time out further without really changing the balance

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

My preferred source of self punishment Godsbane Idle updated earlier today. Now it has this.

Never play this game.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

WTFBEES posted:

My preferred source of self punishment Godsbane Idle updated earlier today. Now it has this.

Never play this game.

This mfer has never met a UI decision he didn't want to gently caress up.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I had to bow out of godsbane after awhile. It's fine but I'm the sort of person who really wants to play at least somewhat optimally, and when you get poo poo like a giant sphere grid it's REALLY hard to figure out what 'optimal' is. So then I'd go to forums or w/e and see what the agreed upon 'good' builds were and use those, and those resources just don't exist for godsbane. So I end up staring at my paragon grid and going 'mine is probably poo poo but I don't know what to do about it' until eventually I just lose interest in trying.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Agent355 posted:

I'd go to forums or w/e and see what the agreed upon 'good' builds were and use those, and those resources just don't exist for godsbane.

I'm pretty sure that's because no one anywhere can figure out this absolutely impenetrable mess of a game.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I also think you probably don't even NEED to optimize the sphere-grid to make it through the game. Ultimately it's just about time played and stored heartcore levels or w/e to advance. But brain worms demand optimization.

Also slowly building up heartcore levels over weeks without any real change in the day-to-day gameplay isn't very compelling.

NGU and trimps succeed because there are a thousand small breakpoints you're trying to hit. Overall you're just being limited by time but most of the time you're working toward something that feels like it could be accomplished soon. The next fluffy evolution or mastery point or w/e. Godsbane just felt like one continuous wall somehow.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

how are you supposed to not just die to a lot of mice? like eventually my fighting outweighs my 1 rest healing and if I spend more time on resting it just pushes that time out further without really changing the balance

Get an actual house with walls, mostly. Then you won't get swarmed by an ever-growing number of them every night.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Go hard on charisma and the begging line of jobs for one incarnation and you gain enough charisma aptitude in it to easily get into the second house before a lethal mass of mice spawn and nibble you to death in later lives.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You need a house with walls. I found that a few lives spent grinding nothing but Charisma by begging and occasionally napping made this process pretty trivial

EDIT: Better homes also increase your passive stamina gain per night as well as health regen, so it's a pretty short hop to owning a house where you regain 5 stamina a night sleeping, meaning you're making back the 5 stamina you spent begging/performing/being a politician, making resting unnecessary. Houses also let you buy furniture like better beds that further boost your stamina, or washbasins that give you X amount of Charisma every day, and so on.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 10, 2022

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Yeah, I had barely gotten to House 2 + A Blanket and was like, wow, houses seem good. I'll just keep begging then.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

It's pretty goofy that you only live to 30 at first.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Seems reasonably realistic for the cultivation genre, where you will either get eaten alive by a monster, or piss off a millennium-old man with a short temper, or just die of malnourishment because all the immortals think you're replaceable.

Without food you literally only eat a bowl of rice a day!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

New idle, inspired by that weird Chinese Cultivation genre:
https://immortalityidle.github.io/

Pretty good so far!
I got very confused by this until I realised that I had to zoom out the page in order to make multiple other panels of information visible, such as my attributes or how much money I had.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Goodness once you've broken into the super speed option and scrabbled out a fishing loop without needing to forcefully rest so you can get a bunch of water lore it just explodes into potions and money.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
Oh man, I thought the number in parentheses next to mouse was how many I have killed not how many are attacking you. No wonder it got harder and harder to survive and why it just stopped going up at some point.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah, for those not sure how to proceed, here's what I've done for the early stuff:

1) Beg till you're a politician, using the funds to build up a 10K house with the 10K upgrades. Begging is the fastest way to make money early and CHA has a positive feedback loop that's buffed by the housing upgrades that give you additional CHA every day. There's no point that I can see to bother with farming your own rice ATM, it's just a 1 teal tax per day to feed yourself.
2) odd jobs till you unlock fishing and have 20 speed. Swap to fishing so you can train INT, with 20 speed you'll unlock herb gathering which builds INT faster. You'll have to mix in some days of politics to maintain your cash.
3) Apprentice Alchemy till you're a master alchemist, mixing in a few days of herb gathering if you want to or get close to 30 years old. You start producing pills that increase max age around +33, so you can gauge how close you are by the level of the potions you're making are.
4) Once you've extended your age a little with those pills, your next life you can probably start as an alchemist and cut out the early steps to get you alchemizing faster. Then it kinda sucks for a while, you're building up the funds for the 200M manual that allows you to auto-use all potions. There's a weaker version that allows you to designate each individual item as auto-use, it's very useful but the process of designating potion of speed +53 as auto-use, then immediately seeing a +54 version sucks.

After I figured this out it only took a couple lives to get to a max age in the 70's and now I'm trying to build spirituality so I can have a small amount when I reincarnate next. But, I gotta be done for tonight. It's an interesting game, but there's some very annoying tedium and the authors seem to think of that as a feature not a bug. We'll see what happens! As a note, you can mouse over most things to get a description, including your stats to see what your aptitudes are.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
How many lives does it take to reach master alchemist and life extension pills? I've done at least a half-dozen so far and I'm already tired of setting up the early parts of a new run every couple of minutes. The ability to not pause on death is mostly useless since you lose access to all the jobs you had anyway.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007
I looked up all the achievements in the code because I couldn't figure out how to get a couple, most of them are pretty easy to figure out (they're generally "do a whole bunch of something") but there are three that are absolutely dumb: throw away an enormous amount of items. No, more than that. No, keep throwing them away.

How do you throw away items you ask? Yeah I had to dig through code for that too: let your inventory fill up, anything you get after that point is thrown away

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007
quote is not edit whoops

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Sounds easy: just farm rice. Probably why it is completely ridiculous number.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Finally passed 200 years and then saw there's multiple reset options in the ascension shop. Deeper than I thought it would be.

The throwing away one was indeed very easy.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 11, 2022

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Sindai posted:

How many lives does it take to reach master alchemist and life extension pills? I've done at least a half-dozen so far and I'm already tired of setting up the early parts of a new run every couple of minutes. The ability to not pause on death is mostly useless since you lose access to all the jobs you had anyway.

I want to say master alchemist is at 10K INT, but I may be mistaken. Make sure you’re mixing some herb gathering because alchemy consumes herbs if you have any to produce potions and pills. The housing upgrades are a big deal because they let you decrease the downtime of resting.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Chakan posted:

There's no point that I can see to bother with farming your own rice ATM, it's just a 1 teal tax per day to feed yourself.

rice, no.

other veg, probably.

after a certain amount of time farming rice to build strength, i started getting cabbages. these fill the nutrition bar more than rice, and a bit of poking on reddit indicates that more nutritious food means you live longer. probably not as effective as alchemy pills but might be a nice thing to have alongside it

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

rice, no.

other veg, probably.

after a certain amount of time farming rice to build strength, i started getting cabbages. these fill the nutrition bar more than rice, and a bit of poking on reddit indicates that more nutritious food means you live longer. probably not as effective as alchemy pills but might be a nice thing to have alongside it

Food caps out at 72 years bonus life so well worth it; also quite easy to do once you can afford 10k+ fields.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Another tip I saw in the reddit post is that fishing and hunting are how you raise stamina, which is important because a couple later actions cost 200 stamina.

Also alchemy can always produce a longevity pill as long as you are journeyman or above and have herbs, but each pill only adds days equal to its plus value, so a +3 isn't super relevant.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Diogenes-simulator is a perfectly valid way to play the game.

:golfclap: Made me guffaw

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Chakan posted:

I want to say master alchemist is at 10K INT, but I may be mistaken. Make sure you’re mixing some herb gathering because alchemy consumes herbs if you have any to produce potions and pills. The housing upgrades are a big deal because they let you decrease the downtime of resting.

Nah, it's not based on Int because I currently have nearly 20k Int and am still just at Journeyman.

I think it's based on Water Lore.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Kyrosiris posted:

Nah, it's not based on Int because I currently have nearly 20k Int and am still just at Journeyman.

I think it's based on Water Lore.

There are core stat requirements, but the lore skills are generally the gate behind the professions improving.

For anyone trying to use Core Cultivation, you need to unlock mana first, by having at least 1k in all lore skills and all of them within .9x to 1.1x your metal lore. If you've got crazy alchemy, wood and water should start at 1k, so just burn things and mine to 1k earth/fire then buy the anvil

After that it has a 1% chance to increase your max mana by 1 for the current life. The act of unlocking it also gives you the ability to do a second task each day at the cost of 5 mana. It still spends the stamina so it can totally gently caress your rhythm unless you have a high stamina!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SynthesisAlpha posted:

For anyone trying to use Core Cultivation, you need to unlock mana first, by having at least 1k in all lore skills and all of them within .9x to 1.1x your metal lore
lmao this is the worst idea cause if you don't know about it in advance it's just going to totally gently caress you when you drive one too high

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

SynthesisAlpha posted:

For anyone trying to use Core Cultivation, you need to unlock mana first, by having at least 1k in all lore skills and all of them within .9x to 1.1x your metal lore. If you've got crazy alchemy, wood and water should start at 1k, so just burn things and mine to 1k earth/fire then buy the anvil

Because of the way the math works out, you'll need more than that.

The lower threshold has to be above 1000, so your metal lore needs to be at 1111.2, so that when it's multiplied by .9 it's over 1000.

Same thing goes for the other balance achievements, it's better to aim 11% higher than the stated minimum.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
...what other balance achievements?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sage Grimm posted:

...what other balance achievements?

There are three achievements related to that
balanced lore above ~1000
Balanced stats above ~1,000,000 + mana unlocked
Balanced stats + spirituality above ~1,000,000 + mana unlocked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Another tip I saw in the reddit post is that fishing and hunting are how you raise stamina, which is important because a couple later actions cost 200 stamina.

Also alchemy can always produce a longevity pill as long as you are journeyman or above and have herbs, but each pill only adds days equal to its plus value, so a +3 isn't super relevant.

It's annoying because often the carp or meat is immediately eaten, but if not, those foods have tooltips showing that those foods are what actually increases your stamina.