Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Start with Yugioh, then Yugioh Duelist Kingdom, then Yugoh Millenium World. There's another one but it's like a sidestory/non-'canon' thing that doesn't fit with the rest.

It basically goes: The Yugioh with all the werid poo poo -> The Yugioh where card games take over everything -> The ending.

Got it, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The original run is pretty good. Yeah, it gets into the weeds a little when the cards takes over but there's usually a greater story purpose and they're not just playing to play.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Plutonis posted:

Brazilian Dub is an insane banger

The sound of the armor clinging to Seiya is forever burned onto my mind, it rules.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cloks posted:

I've started reading Hoshin Engi and I'm enjoying it, I'm up to the third volume out of 23. It's about a strong naif in Ancient China on a demon hunting quest.

It's not the best at any particular thing but the characters are enjoyable, the main character is interesting and noble and the fights are fun. It was originally serialized from 1996-2000 and it seems pretty standard in its formula for successful manga from around that time period, such as One Piece and Hunter x Hunter. VIZ released it starting in 2007 and it's on the Jump app but only as purchasable volumes.

Apparently it's a cult hit in Japan so I"m hoping the story gets a little wilder, there are hints of something deeper and I'm guessing they'll eventually rise to the surface.
Best comically giant shoes in the shounen game, that comic.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Cloks posted:

Apparently it's a cult hit in Japan

It was the second most popular jump series after kenshin for a while, before one piece and hunter x hunter took over.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That makes that remake from a while back super baffling.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Earthchild remains a complete mess. It keeps saying all these words about keeping the system, but it never actually has anything substantive to save. Maybe I skimmed past it somehow, but I don't remember it ever explaining why there's only 1 Earthchild at a time, why they have to die to sacrifice themselves, or why there's so many disasters that keep threatening Earth. And it's in the form of a high school girl...because?

Also, the way this chapter over-emphasizes the importance of the husband feels kind of gross somehow. It's not "your entire family are a threat to the world", it's "you, the husband, amplify your wife and kid's powers and humanity will fight over your corpse." It just seemed like the god/author implied that Kareri and Mamoru are utterly unimportant in the long run had the husband stayed dead.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1546150702594023424?t=6NSmCauwgl3untLOEtiyww&s=19

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

I haven’t read Roboco yet but I have to know, how many lives have those thick thighs saved?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Reiche posted:

I haven’t read Roboco yet but I have to know, how many lives have those thick thighs saved?

It's really all about the knees.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The GPS gag in Sakamoto Days gave me a good laugh.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

chiasaur11 posted:

It's really all about the knees.

One of my dislikes? People’s knees. Cover your knees up if you’re going to be walking around everywhere

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Reiche posted:

One of my dislikes? People’s knees. Cover your knees up if you’re going to be walking around everywhere

Ah, but Roboco isn't a people. She's a robot. So that should be fine, especially with such excellent Nappa-level knees.

If you are insulting Roboco's knees, though, you should be careful. She has one of the most powerful Domain Expansions around.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Electric Phantasm posted:

The GPS gag in Sakamoto Days gave me a good laugh.

This chapter was such a brisk read that when I hit the end I thought "wait that was the full 19 pages? But that went by so fast!"

What a good manga holy poo poo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I actually flinched when that one mook got smashed between the cars early on

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: Another banger of a chapter. I was wrong in my prediction about Hikaru deliberately choosing an act that would diminish the effect of Akane's Jugemu, turns out it's just a painful reminder of the past. It's nice (well, not nice nice, obviously it's a tragic thing) to see the expulsion from Koguma's viewpoint, among Shiguma's disciples, he's the only one who really seems to remember Shinta (we haven't seen much about Kyoji or the pretty boy reacting to Akane's relation to Shinta, and Guriko joined after the expulsion).

Hikaru's act was also really different because for the first time, we don't really 'see' the characters at all. The focus is purely on Hikaru and her acting here. Both Shinta and Hikaru have the similarity of focusing on the characters, but their acts are depicted in vastly different ways. Shinta brought the entire cast to life (at the expense of sacrificing a major scene) while Hikaru focused primarily on fleshing out the wife's role to deliver a stronger emotional impact (we don't see the audience shed tears in Shinta's act, it's mostly just amazement). It's also at complete odds with Karashi's act from last chapter, in that it's not about the laughs, it's about moving the audience. It's neat that both of Akane's main rivals in this tournament are using acts that we, the readers, have already seen Akane (or her dad, who she bases her rakugo stylings after) perform.

Hikaru is fascinating because she really does seem like a more shounen MC-like character in some ways, where she's the self-taught kid from the countryside trying to prove to the city folk that she can make it, and as her manager says, her biggest talent is her drive and grit. Contrast that to Akane, who seems like the super talented & privileged MC with the mysterious tragic past - nobody knows anything about her but the super-talented hotshot acknowledges her skills, she comes from a distinguished line of experts (actually just her dad but Hikaru doesn't know that), she's learned from one of the greatest masters, and she has a tragic parent-related past and something to prove herself.

Given the act's history with Akane & Issho, I'm excited to see how they react to the performance (and how Akane will react if Issho praises Hikaru for her version of the act), and for Akane to finally get her turn on the stage!

Elusive Samurai: Finally, the big reveal! I love scenes like this where the hidden hero finally casts off his disguise and reveals himself to the people. It's cliched, but so cathartic. Good poo poo!

Mashle: Hey, the guy finally does something! I thought he was gonna heal Mash but I guess not???

Me & Roboco: Classic Roboco fight chapter.

Ruri Dragon: Ruri has a good mom. Also Wii on the Mario is ancient now. gently caress I'm old. Christ. Holy gently caress. I was in uni when the Wii came out. Where did all the time loving go? What the gently caress? What the poo poo? It came out 16 loving years ago!!!!

Sakamoto Days: Holy poo poo the fight choreography is awesome, and also hella hype for Order vs Ex-Order (+ Traitor?) content.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Sakamoto Days: Holy poo poo the fight choreography is awesome, and also hella hype for Order vs Ex-Order (+ Traitor?) content.

The mangaka is so good at depicting the action. I hardly ever have trouble following what's happening with who. Sakamoto is probably the best shounen battle manga for choreo published at the moment.

Mashle: Got a bunch of good laughs out of me. I'm sorry, but winking at the camera while acknowledging that this specific situation absolutely requires Aqua man just works for me. The following sequence to me is also perfection. From the start running away and grovelling with super gymnastics (with everyone being impressed at the sheer grovelling prowess) to running back with his motivation and the ultimate conclusion against some guys who have to work together when we know Finn's special magic is trading places. I don't like Finn, but I liked this sequence a lot. It's a forgone conclusion, but it's so audacious it just works for me.

Earth Child: I wish this scene was in a better manga. Honestly, the setup is actually :black101: as can be. It's just the sheer density of the dialogue (and the subject) that utterly kills everything that was cool about this.
This chapter could've been saved by just cutting away like 3/4 of what she was saying. Instead focus on showing us the Reisuke's determination as he's reduced to a flayed skeleton.
And of course, now he's an actual modifier instead of some weird link thing. :psyduck: Good thing waste can track exactly how much power Kareri can put out...somehow.
I love this trainwreck of a writing exercise.

Roboco: Can go visit fighting manga's more often. Loved the Sakamoto shout out. Loved the after image gags. Loved the ending.

Undead: I'm hyped for Billy. He's badass. I have no idea what else is happening. I know the general goals, but it's just so chaotic.

Doron: Feels like Candy Flurry at this point, like it's rushing towards a big fight so it can have a proper finish. I hope I'm wrong, because I do enjoy this ride.

Ruri Dragon: Yep, my Maguchan shaped hole has been filled. I love everyone in this series.

Super Smartphone: Am I the only one weirded out by how absolutely tiny the phones are?

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

The fact that Doron will have survived 30+ chapters blows my mind.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Akane-banashi: Another banger of a chapter. I was wrong in my prediction about Hikaru deliberately choosing an act that would diminish the effect of Akane's Jugemu, turns out it's just a painful reminder of the past. It's nice (well, not nice nice, obviously it's a tragic thing) to see the expulsion from Koguma's viewpoint, among Shiguma's disciples, he's the only one who really seems to remember Shinta (we haven't seen much about Kyoji or the pretty boy reacting to Akane's relation to Shinta, and Guriko joined after the expulsion).

Oh wait I'm an idiot, he didn't, the expulsion was 6 years ago, not 10, and Shiguma says he didn't feel qualified to take on any students after Shinta's expulsion.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I fuckin love Akane Banashi, but I actually kind of hope we get to see more of the dad in the future. When the series began I was excited to see how his relationship with his daughter would develop as she improves at rakugo, but he's just completely fallen off the face of the earth? I don't think we've seen him on-screen even a single time aside from flashbacks.

The writing is strong enough that I'm hoping this is intentional and setting up for something in the future. I also realize this isn't his story anymore, but I did like him in that first chapter and kind of figured he'd have at least some kind of role in the story going forward.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I assume that when we do see her dad again, we're going to be shocked by how different he is now, and maybe even depressingly so. Rakugo was that man's passion, and it was ripped away from him. I don't think it'll be very dark or anything, since Akane-banashi isn't a dark manga, but it won't be fun

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Shinji2015 posted:

I assume that when we do see her dad again, we're going to be shocked by how different he is now, and maybe even depressingly so. Rakugo was that man's passion, and it was ripped away from him. I don't think it'll be very dark or anything, since Akane-banashi isn't a dark manga, but it won't be fun

CodfishCartographer posted:

I fuckin love Akane Banashi, but I actually kind of hope we get to see more of the dad in the future. When the series began I was excited to see how his relationship with his daughter would develop as she improves at rakugo, but he's just completely fallen off the face of the earth? I don't think we've seen him on-screen even a single time aside from flashbacks.

The writing is strong enough that I'm hoping this is intentional and setting up for something in the future. I also realize this isn't his story anymore, but I did like him in that first chapter and kind of figured he'd have at least some kind of role in the story going forward.

Yeah I do hope that Shinta reappears in the story later, we do get Misaki showing up to support her daughter even if Akane's going down a career path that she's not particularly enthused about (given what happened to her husband) because she's a good mom. We do know that Shinta was able to pick himself back up because he didn't want to mope around, and that he was accepting of Akane learning rakugo under Shiguma, and that he still had a ton of respect towards Shiguma (though Shiguma himself feels like he failed Shinta).

But yeah I hope he comes back into the picture at a later point.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Head's up for those who don't read the series specific thread but Chainsaw Man is back with a new chapter.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I still can't decide if I like Make the Exorcist Fall in Love yet, but Mammon's power being fueled by racism and toxic masculinity was a nice touch

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh yeah that moment where he just goes full that is amazing.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I think everything so far with Make the Exorcist fall in love is surface level and we are still kind of speedrunning the 7 deadly sins. But anytime two fighters just drop all pretense and just pummel each other to death is :black101: for me. That being said, Mammon is quite the "beta" himself for how he chimps out in the end.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Shinji2015 posted:

I still can't decide if I like Make the Exorcist Fall in Love yet, but Mammon's power being fueled by racism and toxic masculinity was a nice touch

I've decided it sucks poo poo but it's kinda entertaining in a trainwreck way, to be honest.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Finished the first YuGiOh manga

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Did Yami Yugi only kill one person? The line between “living death” and “literal murder” kinda blurs in my mind.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I read the first 10 or so chapters of Yu-Gi-Oh (the "Season 0" material before the card game took over), and I found it pretty disappointing. Somehow I had the impression that it was something like Kaiji or the Darby arcs in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but in early Yu-Gi-Oh the actual games feel like an afterthought, a pretext for Yugi's Egyptian alternate personality to inflict sadistic supernatural punishments on people. This might even have been interesting if the people being punished were interesting, but instead they're just assholes in a contrived way.

Did other people have a more positive impression of it?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC it is all mind fuckery except for the guy in the fast food place but that's because he is actively threatening to kill Yugi and his friends.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Silver2195 posted:

Did other people have a more positive impression of it?

Well, if my time was more limited I might not have kept reading, but as someone who watched the anime way back when it was interesting in a "Oh that's where that came from" kind of way.

Like, the first episode always felt weirdly rushed but I didn't know it was speedrunning through like 10-20 chapters worth of plot. Stuff like Yugi's grandpa almost dying makes more sense in the manga where it's "Kaiba locks him in a psychological torture box after beating him" rather than "I lost a card game."

This manga is such a bizarre little thing. The rules are all made up and the points don't matter. It makes perfect sense that this is the place where the Catapult Turtle Gambit comes from.

Also, Mokuba's such a little shitheel in those early chapters wow.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I really adore early Duelst Kingdom just winging it as hard as it can, it’s basically just Calvinball: The Anime/Manga

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
https://twitter.com/takatsuyo320/status/1548325344209702912
Heart Gear will be returning next month. Glad to see the author is back in good health.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Was looking through my PC's Pictures folder (which doesn't really have a lot in it because I'm not big on saving pictures) and found this:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

https://twitter.com/takatsuyo320/status/1548325344209702912
Heart Gear will be returning next month. Glad to see the author is back in good health.

Happy with this. I liked Heart Gear.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Ytlaya posted:

Was looking through my PC's Pictures folder (which doesn't really have a lot in it because I'm not big on saving pictures) and found this:

I WILL FIGHT YOU, IMPERTINENT MORTAL.

Magu-chan was great. I like how with as much detail as the ending got, they still didn't confirm that Ruru and Ren get together.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC it is all mind fuckery except for the guy in the fast food place but that's because he is actively threatening to kill Yugi and his friends.

There are a couple of situations where he flat-out kills or contributes to someone dying. There's the time he set a dude on fire but there's also a time he ends up playing a kid in a game with a soul-eating jar and it ends with the jar eating the kid's soul and him just sort of... leaving his soulless corpse behind, saying the jar can never be opened again.

There's also the exploding ice hockey which is not illusionary but may only be a maiming instead of a murder.

Pegasus also absolutely made Bandit Keith shoot himself in the loving head though.

I Am Fowl posted:

Magu-chan was great. I like how with as much detail as the ending got, they still didn't confirm that Ruru and Ren get together.

If you missed it there was a bonus chapter added that does basically that.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

ImpAtom posted:

If you missed it there was a bonus chapter added that does basically that.

I saw the bonus chapter. Just cuz he gets closer doesn't confirm it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Did the guy who Yugi set on fire even die, he could have just been horribly maimed