Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Islanders could be good cause they have good goalering but I doubt they can outscore like anyone and are relying on a lot of 30+ forwards to keep being good so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

He legit had the potential to be good. Great even. Isles hosed it up pretty bad with how they mishandled him though. He had a bit of an ego problem but so do a million other young players, he was just singled out and scrutinized way more for some reason.

I dunno, I never saw Ho-Sang as anything special. He was perhaps unfairly targeted but his offensive game just wasn't anywhere close to good enough to make up for his other glaring weaknesses. He's your definition of a nothing tweener and always was. I said this the day he was drafted and I was only wrong by being two years too optimistic on how long he'd stick it out before he went to Sweden.

quote:

Ho-Sang's mad dangles barely work against OHLers, I find it very hard to believe he'll be an effective pro player. Kane is a similarish player, but is effective because he knows how to distribute the puck and only busts out the high skill stuff when teams aren't expecting it. Ho-Sang tries it shift in and shift out and defences just knowto back off him and let him lose the puck in his feet. He could be a good top six guy if a team is patient with him and lets him develop with a coach who won't insist he suddenly turn into a two way guy when he doesn't immediately make it as a scorer. That's not going to happen though and he'll be playing in Frolunda before he's 26.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3645259&pagenumber=1&perpage=40&userid=126316#post431396748

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Cool name tho

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
ho sang is Tony Hrkac with an Asian name

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Holtbeast is busted, might retire.

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2022/07/09/report-braden-holtby-unlikely-to-play-next-season-his-career-may-be-over/

Holtby is amazing and will forever earn his place amongst the great Caps players for getting us over the finish line in 2018. I got his jersey after his Vezina year and wear it proudly. I hope he retires in the DC area and raises his family here, he’s done lots for the LGBTQ community in the DMV.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 9, 2022

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Cartoon Man posted:

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2022/07/09/report-braden-holtby-unlikely-to-play-next-season-his-career-may-be-over/

Holtby is amazing and will forever earn his place amongst the great Caps players for getting us over the finish line in 2018. I got his jersey after his Vezina year and wear it proudly. I hope he retires in the DC area and raises his family here, he’s done lots for the LGBTQ community in the DMV.

yeah too bad :( he was quite good for Dallas last year, it was obvious he still had some juice left in him and he could have been a good option as a 1B type for a team that needs that player for a few more years. Seems like the injuries ended up getting the best of him though.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

With how quickly goalies burn out these days Im really starting to appreciate the long careers guys like Lundqvist and Luongo pulled off in the modern NHL. Seems like the physical strain on the body to maintain a high level at the position causes careers to end sooner than goalies of the past.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

With how quickly goalies burn out these days Im really starting to appreciate the long careers guys like Lundqvist and Luongo pulled off in the modern NHL. Seems like the physical strain on the body to maintain a high level at the position causes careers to end sooner than goalies of the past.

Stupid butterfly, bring back the old school way of just standing tall in net.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

and both of them wanted to play even longer but their bodies just finally told em "nah"

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Islanders could be good cause they have good goalering but I doubt they can outscore like anyone and are relying on a lot of 30+ forwards to keep being good so
Given both are Russian, what are the chances that Putin will attempt to keep them (and other NHL players) at home?

Missed out on the DeAngelo->Flyers talk but between him, the fanbase and Comcast, he's going to be treated as a folk hero

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Island Nation posted:

Given both are Russian, what are the chances that Putin will attempt to keep them (and other NHL players) at home?

Missed out on the DeAngelo->Flyers talk but between him, the fanbase and Comcast, he's going to be treated as a folk hero

Ive seen how Philly treats folk heroes.

There are much better uses for batteries.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Starsfan posted:

I think the Islanders are a reasonable pick as the bounce back candidate in the league... They did put up some legitimately good seasons as a top 10 team in the league prior to last year where there was a sense that everything went wrong for them at the start of the season.. I just remember they had some insane 10 game roadtrip to open the year and all their players got COVID at the start of it lol

I guess it depends on how you view their forwards.. the defensemen and goaltending they have is playoffs quality.

I think part of the problem is that the years the Isles did well in were covid hosed years. Like...I don't think they were in a great position in 2019-2020 when the season stopped, they had to play a qualifying round and then got through the Caps and Flyers because they kinda hit that perfect "playoff hockey" plus having everyone rested and ready to go
Then 2020-2021 was a short season and I feel like they benefited from that in that their deficiencies never had time to come through.

They got a poo poo hand at the start of last season but the cracks were already there with an aging team and GM stuck in the 90's. Not to mention they're also going from Trotz to...Lane Lambert.

I think they need more time to refresh the team but feel like Lou wants to go all in on signing vets to keep the dream alive

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Furnaceface posted:

As I have no plan to start watching Blackhawk games any time soon, FAS and BHAS should pick a team or two in the upcoming season to watch together.

I switched to the avs because I live in Denver now and that worked out well

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

RC Cola posted:

I switched to the avs because I live in Denver now and that worked out well

I live just outside Toronto but I will never cheer for the Leafs so I still need a new team for next season.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I have no faith in them actually competing any time soon but Ottawa seems like they could be a fun team to bandwagon for a year. They have some exciting young talent.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Levitate posted:

I think they need more time to refresh the team but feel like Lou wants to go all in on signing vets to keep the dream alive

They did just trade a first for Romanov, so maybe they're recognizing that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Being a Sens Sicko is not a bad option now that Melnyk is dead!

If you want to be a bandwagon fan hopping onto a team that will probably win a Cup in the next couple years it's the Rangers for sure.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

They did just trade a first for Romanov, so maybe they're recognizing that.

Except that Romanov kinda sucks

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Island Nation posted:

No one is being kept home. The 'issue' is players allegedly having 'fake' military IDs. This could mean either that the players never properly registered for their compulsory service and instead faked it. Or it could mean the Russian military is being stricter in any number of things. Or Putin is doing evil wizard things. Whatever. Definitely a Putin evil wizard thing though.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

rex rabidorum vires posted:

No one is being kept home. The 'issue' is players allegedly having 'fake' military IDs. This could mean either that the players never properly registered for their compulsory service and instead faked it. Or it could mean the Russian military is being stricter in any number of things. Or Putin is doing evil wizard things. Whatever. Definitely a Putin evil wizard thing though.

also apparently Kaprizov doesn't have a work visa for the states for some reason and he's being turned away at the border? lol

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

God I hope so.

Kirby Dach is good though, right?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

This is going to sound shocking from me *I know* but perhaps going from 60% O Zone starts and Brett Kulak or Victor Mete as partners to 40% O Zone starts and David Savard/Ben Chariot as partners isn't ideal to show your best either.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Starsfan posted:

also apparently Kaprizov doesn't have a work visa for the states for some reason and he's being turned away at the border? lol

Visas expire at the end of the season and they need to go through the process of renewing them which requires an in person interview at a US consulate, which he probably planned to do later in the summer (and is harder to do than normal since there's no US consulates anymore, so he'd have to make it to a third country first) but tried bugging out early. There was an article earlier in the year talking about visa fun during the pandemic and a lot of players couldn't make appointments to see US immigration people in their home country because they were shut/backed up so the league actually had a deal with the US gov that let their players in last year, but they had to see someone the first time they played in Canada.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

This is going to sound shocking from me *I know* but perhaps going from 60% O Zone starts and Brett Kulak or Victor Mete as partners to 40% O Zone starts and David Savard/Ben Chariot as partners isn't ideal to show your best either.

Could also be not playing just the Canadian teams. A lot of dudes got exposed as dogshit post weirdo season.

Or a combo of both. He was pretty sheltered (as he should have been) as a rookie

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I know the Flyers think adding a couple good at best dudes will make them a contender but really Gaudreau doesn't fit in any timeline they have, nor do I think he's worth what he'll probably get. Don't really care if he's from the Philly metro area or not

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Being turned away because you didn't have a visa makes sense. Kind of lol if he's fleeing because of also falsifying his records though!

Could also be not playing just the Canadian teams. A lot of dudes got exposed as dogshit post weirdo season.

Or a combo of both. He was pretty sheltered (as he should have been) as a rookie

For sure. Not being torched by McDavid and Matthews might cancel that out slightly too. We could just say that not being on the Canadians is an improvement to begin with.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Being turned away because you didn't have a visa makes sense. Kind of lol if he's fleeing because of also falsifying his records though!

You'll forgive me I hope for being disinclined to take Putin's word on that

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

OTOH the Metro is wide open after the Canes and Rangers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At this point it feels like any Russian trying to get out of their country should ask for asylum. Anyone not joyfully sucking Putin off right now is at a huge risk of being disappeared into their prison system.

That may not help a hockey player get back to his team, but gotta take what one can get.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1545904979600351232

Suck it, Vlad.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Caps first round pick Ivan Miroshnichenko will tie John Brackenborough of the 1925-26 Bruins for the longest last name.

https://twitter.com/dicnowder/status/1545273289274265601?s=20&t=Mnd48p3EIxKO3DYwj2AXAg

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

At this point it feels like any Russian trying to get out of their country should ask for asylum. Anyone not joyfully sucking Putin off right now is at a huge risk of being disappeared into their prison system.

That may not help a hockey player get back to his team, but gotta take what one can get.

For once, the league seems to be on top of the issue, but the players have to actually do it. Sounds like guys on multiyear contracts should meet all the Permanent Residency requirements if they want to go that route.

https://www.tsn.ca/some-russian-nhlers-considering-options-as-u-s-canada-expand-sanctions-1.1768715

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 10, 2022

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1546195439036284928?t=dvD478CSFcXU4ocB8h2RGQ&s=19

We haven't had a proper silly season yet, fire it up baby!

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Trading for Matt Murray as a team with cup aspirations just doesn’t make any sense, even if Ottawa gives up some assets and eats half his salary you are still paying $3+ for a guy that can’t stay healthy and sucks when he is. You had to trade down in the draft to get rid of a similar player in Mrazek!

Dubas’ Soo Greyhounds boner is going to be his downfall

e: i swear to god I posted this before reading downgoesbrowns identical tweet

The Dirty Burger fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 10, 2022

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Well pretty sure that means the Oilers are gonna give Jack Campbell 5x5 or something so uhhh please don't retire Mike Smith

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

mennoknight posted:

ho sang is Tony Hrkac with an Asian name

Not a bad comparisonk, but I mean, Tony Hrkac played 700 games in the show.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/Avalanche/status/1546236783737729025
haven't seen for how much AAV yet

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1546237474649026560

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Combined $5.4M/year on goaltending duo. If it works out for the next 2 years that's a lot of money saved for skaters. Also probably means development-wise, 2 years for Annunen in the AHL, 1 year as Georgiev's backup, then a decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fermun posted:

Combined $5.4M/year on goaltending duo. If it works out for the next 2 years that's a lot of money saved for skaters. Also probably means development-wise, 2 years for Annunen in the AHL, 1 year as Georgiev's backup, then a decision.

The Devils are going to be paying 3 goalies 10mm next year lol