Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

homeless snail posted:

so to be clear do we or don't we love hina

ara ara

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

homeless snail posted:

ambivalent hina

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Endorph posted:

im sure somebody on earth has read uq holder to have an opinion about it

I still don't get why he made a sequel to Negima.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Do You Love Hina And Her Two Hit Multi-Target Attacks?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Covok posted:

I still don't get why he made a sequel to Negima.

:10bux:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

1. hinas not a person 2. even if she was she wouldn't even do a 1 hit attack on anyone.

guess I get what I deserve thinking I can trust the anime chat thread to tell me whether or not we love hina

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

ive never actually know what love hina was about....im exposed....

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

homeless snail posted:

1. hinas not a person 2. even if she was she wouldn't even do a 1 hit attack on anyone.

guess I get what I deserve thinking I can trust the anime chat thread to tell me whether or not we love hina

Grandma Hina is real and the Hina Blade is an insanely powerful relic in both Love Hina and Negima/UQ Holder

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There was a great youtube clip I saw once where someone made like a walfie style fan animatic of a more realistic(?) Love Hina and it was pretty good.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

you expect me to believe we're supposed to love the grandma that the dorm is named after? get real.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

studio mujahideen posted:

ive never actually know what love hina was about....im exposed....

Milque toast high school graduate inherits a private dormitory from his grandmother. His grandmother alive but says he can use it while he studies for his college entrance exams, since his parents wanted him out of the house and he needed a place in the city anyway so he can go to better cram schools. Grandmother did not warn the kid it's a girl dorm and the girls don't like him. They eventually warm up to him and some even grow feelings for him.

He then fails the entrance exams and decides to drop out of school, leave the dorm, and become a science assistant with a high school diploma and just work his way up with job experience because that was possible in the 1990s. The boy leaves the dorm to his sister.

His sister sucks and kind of ruins the comic when she takes over as the main character. She likes to play pranks and disguise herself as other people to cause problems.*The boy eventually returns to save the comic from low sales.

The boy and the girls go one some big adventure to capstone their hijinks. He is told by the other girls to finally admit his love for the main girl...yet he actually doesn't pick her and every other girl voicelessly tells him off and to pick main girl. So, he does and they get married.

The end.

*this is where I started reading because I first read the comic by stealing my brothers books and the collection he brought with him on vacation started here.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Pretty sure he actually got into college at one point.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Love Hina is lame and obnoxious and not worth it unless you're a sexually frustrated 15 year old who still thinks getting punched in the face for seeing someone's underwear is the peak of comedy.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Love Hina is lame and obnoxious and not worth it unless you're a sexually frustrated 15 year old who still thinks getting punched in the face for seeing someone's underwear is the peak of comedy.

it is and it's good, namaste

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

My first-hand and only experience with Love Hina is exclusively having played a lovely Spanish fantranslation of a Love Hina GBA game when I was like 10, not understanding anything and hating Shinobu because her ending involved losing more HP than the other routes combined.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Love Hina was the first series I watched via fanlation in RM Player. I love the episode with the robot girl, and I remember it fondly for being a bright spot in a crazy stretch of high school.

I also bought the series on DVD and found it not to live up to my memories. Sound design was kind of good though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

kirbysuperstar posted:

it is and it's good, namaste

If it's not fujiko with a spring loaded boxing glove between her legs then it's just a pale imitation.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Clarste posted:

Pretty sure he actually got into college at one point.

No idea. Maybe someone can clarify. I doubt Love Hina has a wikia to check. It's too old.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

My first-hand and only experience with Love Hina is exclusively having played a lovely Spanish fantranslation of a Love Hina GBA game when I was like 10, not understanding anything and hating Shinobu because her ending involved losing more HP than the other routes combined.

What kind of game? Dating Sim? I really hope not because Shinobu is a literal child. But I don't really see what other kind of game you can make with the IP.

Covok
May 27, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

Love Hina was the first series I watched via fanlation in RM Player. I love the episode with the robot girl, and I remember it fondly for being a bright spot in a crazy stretch of high school.

I also bought the series on DVD and found it not to live up to my memories. Sound design was kind of good though.

IIRC, the Love Hina anime is some wacky, weridass thing that completely diverges from the manga like 2 episodes in. Or, at least it had weird rear end filler that didn't make any sense in series.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

don't bring back the vtuber thread, just make Namtab a vtube avatar so they can link a video wherein they state the crimes they're probing/banning someone for

Arc Hammer posted:

it's one of that style that's cargo-culting Urusei Yatsura, who's male lead does constantly get his rear end beat in a slapstick way by the beautiful women around him because he's openly a sex pest, so he actually deserves it, and it jives with the overall tone of the comedy (which is essentially anime Looney Tunes)

it sucks

Covok
May 27, 2013

Covok posted:

No idea. Maybe someone can clarify. I doubt Love Hina has a wikia to check. It's too old.

Okay, it does have a wikia. I have no idea why.

Turns out he does get into college, suffers an injury, missing the beginning of the semester and is told he has a better shot if he studies abroad instead for the remaining time and then start Tokyo U over as a freshman.

quote:

What kind of game? Dating Sim? I really hope not because Shinobu is a literal child. But I don't really see what other kind of game you can make with the IP.

Using the wikia, I can see it is a dating sim game and that's a little hosed that the child is considered an option in it.

Covok fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 10, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Love Hina is to harem comedies what Dragon Ball is to battle shonen.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

what im getting out of this is that the mangaka for love hina sucks rear end,

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Covok posted:

It was more of a CYOA linear VN, where you'd read dialogue and sometimes have timed choices that affected the route you were going, with the distinguishing feature being you had HP points that you lost for every ~domestic violence~ inflicted on the protag.

I don't remember and don't want to remember :gonk: if all the routes were 100% romantic, 10 year old me just wanted to try his first emulated game and then finish it out of spite, all I remember is her route was exclusively about psychological damage and did more than the loving katana girl.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mazed posted:

it's one of that style that's cargo-culting Urusei Yatsura, who's male lead does constantly get his rear end beat in a slapstick way by the beautiful women around him because he's openly a sex pest, so he actually deserves it, and it jives with the overall tone of the comedy (which is essentially anime Looney Tunes)

it sucks

don't forget that it's cargo culting maison ikkoku too!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

the gba game was mostly just stills from the anime with sakura wars style qtes and the shinobu and suu endings were just, hanging out iirc

even the mutsumi ending was "they eat watermelon the back of a truck"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Okay, so it's not what I thought. Good. That would have been hosed up.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Srice posted:

don't forget that it's cargo culting maison ikkoku too!

ah yes.

gotta double-dip that Takahashi plagiarism.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Love Hina was derivative on release it just wasn't as noticeable in English as we didn't have as many rom coms released at the time. And it's aged the worse out of all of them

marumaru
May 20, 2013

homeless snail posted:

aromantic towards hina

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I haven’t read a lot of love hina but I wouldn’t describe it as like urusei yatsura at all lol, unless you think all harem from last century are the same. For one the lead isn’t getting beat by everyone, he specifically has that relationship with the main girl and that’s what sets their relationship apart

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

exploring the akamatsu-verse

quote:

A.I. Love You (A・I が止まらない!, A.I. ga Tomaranai!) is a Japanese manga series by author Ken Akamatsu. The story follows Hitoshi Kōbe, a high school guy who isn't good at anything but programming. He creates a program in particular named Program 30 which is that of a female, and is shocked when she comes to life in the real world due to a lightning storm. Hitoshi names her Saati and teaches her about the real world, while she instructs him on how to properly have a girlfriend.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Again I played it like a decade and a half ago and most of what I remember is suplemented now by my actual knowledge of the series.

Also in retrospect my lack of interest on any of the girls should have been a sign of my current absolute gayness.

Covok
May 27, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Love Hina was derivative on release it just wasn't as noticeable in English as we didn't have as many rom coms released at the time. And it's aged the worse out of all of them

Love Hina did have some unique aspects, but I am not sure if we want to praise those aspects. Like, iirc, it was a big push towards more fan service and more questionable fan service

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SatoshiMiwa posted:

True. I had seen the Lum movie Beautiful Dreamer on SciFi, had watched Tenchi on Toknami, and Ranma 1/2 in Latin America.

The anime at least had this weird old people fog around the hotel that made things weirdly supernaturalish.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

homeless snail posted:

yeah i watched chobits

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

homeless snail posted:

i agree with akamatsu, weird science is a good movie

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Covok posted:

Love Hina did have some unique aspects, but I am not sure if we want to praise those aspects. Like, iirc, it was a big push towards more fan service and more questionable fan service

It was one of the first computer animated animes, I think?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Negima is also even a bigger push to hosed up fan service. Love Hina set itself in a college dorm so most of the fan service were of technically legal adults. Negima...yeesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It took me way to long to realize it was a different Akamatsu then the manga about killing corrupt politicians in escalating Saw-like ways.

It's possible I am remembering the name incorrectly.