Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah it's the best thing about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Zat posted:

Woah, this is actually surprising to me that they're prerendered. I fully assumed all that stuff was realtime, for no particular reason.

Miyamoto is on record (from the N64 era iirc but still) saying that he prefers real-time so they can make changes right up until the end, so that’s probably a valid assumption. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if the memories are still real-time in keeping with this.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Junpei posted:

What's your worst Zelda opinion?

Mine is either that I didn't mind the Temple of the Ocean King, or that I didn't mind Fi.

I think Wind Waker is a pretty boring game, the great sea is filled with nothing outside a handful of islands with exactly 1 chest on them.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Miyamoto is on record (from the N64 era iirc but still) saying that he prefers real-time so they can make changes right up until the end, so that’s probably a valid assumption. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if the memories are still real-time in keeping with this.

No, they're video files. It was probably a way to bring down the game's file size by cutting things that aren't used outside of those cutscenes, like all the buildings in the castle and town before they were destroyed.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Kassad posted:

No, they're video files. It was probably a way to bring down the game's file size by cutting things that aren't used outside of those cutscenes, like all the buildings in the castle and town before they were destroyed.

And they certainly managed to keep their look 100% consistent with the real-time graphics and with no noticeable compression artifacts. Fooled me all this time.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Junpei posted:

Mine is either that I didn't mind the Temple of the Ocean King, or that I didn't mind Fi.

Dungeons are bad and boring and get in the way of my exploration. If I could play a Zelda game where I have all my exploration tools from the beginning or just do a quick puzzle to get them and spend the rest of the game exploring, I would play that.

(Which is pretty much what BotW is and that's why it's my favorite Zelda.)

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Junpei posted:

Wind Waker is a tease and just half of a game, I'll never forgive it for not having a complete underwater world.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Winifred Madgers posted:

Wind Waker is a tease and just half of a game, I'll never forgive it for not having a complete underwater world.

WW is my second favorite after BotW, but yeah, in retrospect the fact that they had to cut a lot of planned content feels painfully obvious

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

Junpei posted:

LttP is not that good.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
There is no joy whatsoever in playing the original NES Zelda now, it's clunky, repetitive and plays like rear end

This bad opinion of mine extends to like 90% of NES games tbh

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Junpei posted:

Trying to build a literal historical timeline between the games is already a tedious and pointless exercise, but the "official" timeline with 3 branching timelines is the stupidest way they could have gone about it. Just let me have my various folk myths!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Zat posted:

And they certainly managed to keep their look 100% consistent with the real-time graphics and with no noticeable compression artifacts. Fooled me all this time.

It's pretty much only noticeable on emulators since the videos won't scale up (or didn't play at all for a while early on).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hedrigall posted:

There is no joy whatsoever in playing the original NES Zelda now, it's clunky, repetitive and plays like rear end

:wrong:

About those being bad opinions

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Junpei posted:

Oh I've got plenty of those! Zelda II is pretty good, can't stomach original Link's Awakening due to hardware's sound, text crunch and constant button switching, don't really like WW for reasons that people above have mentioned.
I suppose saying that Skyward Sword is the worst 3D Zelda isn't uncommon, but I'm also thinking Twilight Princess is my favorite. It's not great by any stretch, but it's comfy for me despite long-rear end intro. HD remaster really helped the visuals to not look like someone threw a pot of ashes all over the screen.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
mine is that Fi is cool and good and my friend

also that ruto absolutely did not deserve to be considered low tier in hyrule warriors

also that hyrule warriors is the best zelda

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Minish Cap is worse than Spirit Tracks

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

does that mean minish cap is really bad or is this more of a "spirit tracks is good, actually"

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Minish Cap is kinda mediocre and Spirit Tracks is pretty good

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i kinda agree, it has such a fun story and premise (and excellent music) that i really want to like it! but as of yet i've been unable to ever finish it

i think the main problem is that the rail travel is just so exhausting that every other little problem with the game becomes magnified tenfold when i'm already in a sour mood when i get to the destinations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Spirit Tracks is the most aggravating in its way because I played through it once and thought the dungeons were neat and a step up from Phantom Hourglass, but I've never managed to get through it a second time because the train track overworld annoys me so much.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Counterpoint: The Spirit Tracks overworld theme is one of the best in the series, especially combined with the rhythmic chugging of the train's engine, and I could ride around for ages just listening to it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I liked the train track overworld until the demon trains became a problem. I just like trains in general though

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

DanielCross posted:

Counterpoint: The Spirit Tracks overworld theme is one of the best in the series, especially combined with the rhythmic chugging of the train's engine, and I could ride around for ages just listening to it.
but the game doesn't let you do that! instead the world is populated with instant game over trains that you'll be pulling your hair out avoiding, and then there's the missions where you have passengers and need to obey traffic laws on top of that (and if you fail those you don't even get to retry instantly, you have to go all the way back yourself! while still avoiding those drat trains!!)

i get why they did it like this, it could've been dreadfully boring if there was *nothing* to do during travel but the evil trains really just did not work out very well as a fix for the issue. it feels like a system that could live up to its fun potential with just a little bit of tweaking, honestly.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The evil trains weren't so bad but the evil trains that would track your position and home in on you were horrible to deal with.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's one of those things that, in retrospect, I think would just work much better as its own thing. I like trains, I could have fun taking one all over and doing missions and challenges with it, if that was the main game. But putting it in as the overworld travel mechanic in a series where every other game just let's you openly go around, suddenly it just feels like a chore to me. Like no matter what I want to do in the rest of the game, there's now an extra layer of enforced stuff that I have to work through first.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Hedrigall posted:

Still my favorite Zelda game besides Breath of the Wild. It’s just so simple and chill. And now with the Game and Watch, I can pop into 8-Bit Hyrule for a few minutes while waiting to get a haircut or whatever.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

The Dave posted:

Ahhh I was totally forgetting the game did that thing with blending in game and fmv, and had those moments you could move but there was a fmv background.

no, thats not that, those are already replaced by the model replacer mod. this mod replaces the actual fmv models that were baked and part of the video file by using AI. a lot of the fmvs use pre-rendered models and the ai changed them. these are not the fmvs that use real time models ontop of moving fmvs.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

Never played the original until I had it on Switch but I agree with this, took all of like twenty minutes before I bounced off of it hard

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I decided I disliked Spirit Tracks at the moment when, through very clever train driving, I managed to get the two evil trains onto a collision course with each other, and then they just... both kept going. They didn't collide. The final boss was also very frustrating. Good dungeons though.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Spirit Tracks Phantom Hourglass almost soured the DS for me, was worried they'd prioritize high-concept control schemes forever after

Spellman fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 11, 2022

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Junpei posted:

For a very long time it was that Majora's Mask sucked, but thanks to help from you fine folks in MokBa's previous version of this thread, I toughed my way through two-thirds of a playthrough and saw the appeal, even if in the end the time crunch and constant erasure of progress made it too stressful for me to enjoy the way I like to enjoy Zelda.

So I think my bad opinion is that Zelda dungeons are the worst parts of every game they appear in and I suffer through them to get to that sweet, sweet overworld exploration.

Every once-in-a-while, there's one I really enjoy, or even an entire game full of them that I enjoy because they feels like they belong to the world, but more often than not, they feel like I have to grind my enjoyment of exploring said world to an absolute halt to play a level of a videogame.

For a long time I thought it was because I might not like being underground even in video games, but Ultima Underworld is one of my favorite games of all time and it's just one big dungeon without a single outdoor area to speak of.

My brain is weird, though. I honestly think removing load times when entering levels and instead seamlessly integrating them fully into the world like BOTW's Hyrule Castle would help with this a great deal. Might even fix it entirely.

Silver Falcon posted:

Basically what I just said, only way before I said it.
Sup.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Kassad posted:

You can tell they're not real time because they don't take six centuries to load.

That's my worst Zelda opinion, that I've sunk hundreds of hours into BotW but also the loading times are long.

Also Skyward Sword is good, it's got some of the best locations, dungeons, and characters in the franchise, Fi is good too, even though it's dragged down by a handful of unnecessary filler segments that see you retread the same areas. Sailing around on a desert time shifted into a sea is one of the best segments in Zelda.

It helps I played the HD remake though since it sounds like there were a lot of bizarre gameplay elements that originally made it frustrating to actually play. Wish I could fast travel around the overworld too.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

superjew posted:

LttP is not that good.

Seconded.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Probably my actual, no jokes worst Zelda opinion: Ocarina of Time has been in every way possible by later games, and is no longer fun to play.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wrong. It was never fun to play

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bongo Bill posted:

I decided I disliked Spirit Tracks at the moment when, through very clever train driving, I managed to get the two evil trains onto a collision course with each other, and then they just... both kept going. They didn't collide.

I also had this experience

I don't hate the game though, it was good

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Silver Falcon posted:

Dungeons are bad and boring and get in the way of my exploration. If I could play a Zelda game where I have all my exploration tools from the beginning or just do a quick puzzle to get them and spend the rest of the game exploring, I would play that.

(Which is pretty much what BotW is and that's why it's my favorite Zelda.)

I love me a good dungeon but being able to get new treasures on the overworld with a new item is the best part about Zelda for me. I suppose that’s one reason Majora’s Mask is my favorite; you can do drat near every sidequest before even setting foot in the third dungeon.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My worst Zelda opinion is that Majora's Mask is the worst game in the mainline series.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Mine is the complete opposite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

My worst Zelda opinion is that Majora's Mask is the worst game in the mainline series.

It has a hood that lets you run faster, it cannot possibly be the worst one