Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Part of the problem outside of 7 and 9 being bad films is there side project films were all about filling in the past prequels which even in the best of hands is hard to pull of well for any audience

Coaaab posted:

I don't think we've even scratched the surface of villainess isekai, let's pump out some adaptations and burn out on that subgenre before declaring isekai anime dead

I just want one of the good Yuri Villainess isekai's to get an anime and get to the actual Yuri content and with I prefer getting a manga adaption that seems to be doing well it's got the best show. Though Genius Princess also feels like it could be a decent one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

marumaru posted:

i've also heard that there's some really compelling t'ana fanart,

If you're into furry stuff, all the more power to you. I dabble but grumpy old cat doesn't work for me.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

a.lo posted:

Which one is episode 8

It's the one where they are escaping in a low speed chase and them fight on Hoth again.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

marumaru posted:

it's very silly, almost childish referential star trek humor. no need to feel bad if it's not your thing

yeah the problem for me was that it was kinda manic in a way that I didn't like, with a lot of screaming neurotic people. I understand this probably makes me a snob or something but I couldn't get into it.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Nah Episode 8 was actually good. Probably my favorite of the prequels/sequels

Covok
May 27, 2013

a.lo posted:

Nah Episode 8 was actually good. Probably my favorite of the prequels/sequels

Yeah, it wasn't so bad. But it told nerds to analyze their media so it labeled bad.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Arist posted:

i really like Episode 8 (and do not care to litigate that opinion in here) but modern Star Wars is lmao, it's such a weak foundation for the whole shared universe thing and all their attempts to capitalize on it besides maybe Mando S1 have been just strip-mining whatever familiar characters and iconography they can get their hands on

Part of the problem is it seems like every show runner they put into the hot seat rushes into wanting their epic story capstone thing without putting in the work so they mine the previous iconography as you say. Say what you will but the MCU put in the work to slowly build up to their big Avengers team up films; while if Star Wars instead leaned into TV shows to build up to its new trilogy films in a similar way (and had a director who wasn't JJ Abrams) in order to engage in world building I think they could've had their second tentpole franchise.

Leraika posted:

I watched the first episode of Lower Decks and did not care to watch another episode, though I would certainly take your word for it if you said it got better.

Oh yeah it definitely gets better. Season 2 in particular its found its legs for sure.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Covok posted:

I was hoping for mecha 😞

has there even been a LN mecha anime besides full metal panic and 86

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Tales of Woe posted:

Heavy Object

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

symbolic posted:

out of curiosity, do they have a read on the trend replacing it?
from what they told me, mostly stuff thats in the villainess/villain wheelhouse without actually being isekai. stuff about demon kings or evil noble ladies trying to save themselves from some cruel foreseen fate or w/e. some of that stuff is isekai but its being reworked into being non-isekai to try and stand out ig.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I wouldn't be shocked if we see a turn back to pure fantasy and I could see 80's Shoujo/Shonen fantasy tropes being mined and updated for modern audiences going over real well

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

knights and magic?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Oh yeah it definitely gets better. Season 2 in particular its found its legs for sure.

Good to hear! I might give it another shot at some point then, since I do love me some trek.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Tales of Woe posted:

Knights and Magic? But, that one’s also isekai.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if we see a turn back to pure fantasy and I could see 80's Shoujo/Shonen fantasy tropes being mined and updated for modern audiences going over real well

having watched all of the Slayers OVAs and movies several months ago, i would welcome this

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2hM1tyEL0U

this poo poo had me hootin' and hollerin'

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

symbolic posted:

having watched all of the Slayers OVAs and movies several months ago, i would welcome this

Slayers kinda of feels like something I could see Netflix doing in the future since it fits that 80/90's vibe but also would be more approachable for general audiences than Bastard! is

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Leraika posted:

Good to hear! I might give it another shot at some point then, since I do love me some trek.

just in case you've missed it strange new worlds was actually good (save for just a couple recurring plot points that let's be honest they probably had to include)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
To add onto my previous post, the way the star wars games in particular, like Fallen Order and the one in particular where you play as an Imperial agent work to build off of the existing world and help expand it, making you feel like you're acting within a real and expansive universe. You can definitely wrangle some really good star wars content with the right team and medium.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

bring back poofy haired lesbians with giant pauldrons and combat leotards.

80s/90s anime is what got us all into it so clearly that's when anime was Good.

Covok posted:

When will the Isekai boom end?

when the truck is either slain for good...or isekai'd itself.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Like a modern Dirty Pair like series but they're dating feels like it'd be money

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Mazed posted:

80s/90s anime is what got us all into it so clearly that's when anime was Good.

us?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm not really familiar with a lot of isekai but a lot of new series that fall into my orbit seem to be like your standard fantasy setting with the self-awareness of isekai stuff but without the whole characters literally being reborn into another world. Keeping the goofy jrpg fantasy settings but without the reincarnation shtick.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mazed posted:

bring back poofy haired lesbians with giant pauldrons and combat leotards.

this tbh

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I got into anime with Naruto.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I'm making dubious assumptions about the median age here, don't mind me

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Mazed posted:

I'm making dubious assumptions about the median age here, don't mind me

some of us are outliers and watched Durarara!! in 2017 to act as our gateway :cheersdoge:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

an isekai but you just get reincarnated into the world of aria and have chill gondola talks

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Imagine not having your first anime experience being renting Akira and Prokect A-ko 2 from some small Video Rental place

marumaru
May 20, 2013

the first anime i watched was cowboy bebop in 2012 and only because i was forced to
needless to say i thought it was alright

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Imagine not having your first anime experience being renting Akira and Prokect A-ko 2 from some small Video Rental place
a-ko was my first anime but i watched it on sci-fi channel

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

SatoshiMiwa posted:

[in Homer Simpson voice] i watched Durarara on Crunchyroll on college wifi

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Slayers kinda of feels like something I could see Netflix doing in the future since it fits that 80/90's vibe but also would be more approachable for general audiences than Bastard! is

If they don't do a new Slayers anime after doing basically EVERYTHING ELSE with the property for its 30th anniversary, we're never getting a new Slayers anime lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Mine was being like.. 8 or something and watching Tekkaman Blade and Sailor Moon and Samurai Pizza cats and being like "drat this owns"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Covok posted:

I was hoping for mecha 😞
All You Need is Kill would be a great adaptation. Every episode like the Endless 8!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I watched inuyasha on adult swim as my gateway

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm not really familiar with a lot of isekai but a lot of new series that fall into my orbit seem to be like your standard fantasy setting with the self-awareness of isekai stuff but without the whole characters literally being reborn into another world. Keeping the goofy jrpg fantasy settings but without the reincarnation shtick.

I prefer the ones where the real-world person gets portal'd into the fantasy world or transmigrates into a character who is already a fully-grown adult; the reincarnation thing often leads to having a weirdly precocious toddler MC at some point and even in ones I otherwise enjoy I hate when they do that.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Mine was being like.. 8 or something and watching Tekkaman Blade and Sailor Moon and Samurai Pizza cats and being like "drat this owns"

Tekkaman Blade not only getting a TV Dub/edit but a pretty faithful one for the time still strikes me as one of the more odder choices (Not that it didn't rock but still felt weird)

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

I watched inuyasha on adult swim as my gateway

I only saw a few eps but one where some girl died in a fire lowkey traumatized me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Tekkaman Blade not only getting a TV Dub/edit but a pretty faithful one for the time still strikes me as one of the more odder choices (Not that it didn't rock but still felt weird)
After Pokémon hit it big, there was a gold rush of all types of 'mu's with the hope that something else would snag an audience.

Teknoman and Escaflowne were just on the "We should get something AWESOME for BOYS" end.