Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Yeah Lars was the money in the beginning. He bought his way into being a drummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

All that money and he couldn't even purchase some taste lol

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Biplane posted:

Millennials and Xers are united in their love of St. Anger, the greatest musical achievment of our time

I unironically have no issue with the snare sound on St Anger.

Riven posted:

Yeah Lars was the money in the beginning. He bought his way into being a drummer.

That's true, his dad was a fairly successful tennis pro. Him and James had no idea what they were doing but the difference is James' right arm became godly.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Baron von Eevl posted:

I unironically have no issue with the snare sound on St Anger.

I applaud and envy your decision to have never once listened to St. Anger

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
generational lines are so stupid nowadays anyway, the boomers made sense because they were named after a specific event that influenced the US population, same can kinda be said for the generation that actually fought in WWII, but it seems like everything after that is just arbitrary blocks of like 15 years with not that much tying them together as a generation. Generations should be based around cohorts with some widespread commonality, regardless of how many years its been since the next/last one. I know 'millenial' was supposed to be 'people who came of age around the new millennium' but it goes from 81-96; the person that was 19 during y2k or 20 on 9/11 has nothing in common with the person who was 4-5. The world went through an insane change/revolution with high speed internet/internet capable phones/social media, thats something worth naming a generation after.

i feel like if you were highschool or older on 9/11 you should be a different generation than people younger than that. People who watched he-man as it broadcast are not the same generation as people that played gaia online, neopets, or club penguin, and they're still different from the kids that were watching elsa/spiderman foot pregnancy videos because their mom handed them an ipad and ignored them between 18 months and whenever they started doing meth.

and yeah yeah I know

https://twitter.com/leonkennedymilk/status/1544728060548845570

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Todd in the Shadows had a great take on the St. Anger snare-- "it's like Jar Jar in the Phantom Menace. Everyone knows how hated it is. If anything it's probably over-hated. But no matter what you think of it, you can't ignore it. It's always there. It's always influencing the experience."

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

flavor.flv posted:

I applaud and envy your decision to have never once listened to St. Anger

It's really not that bad. Tight heads; loose wires. A pretty common drum tuning technique for metal, recorded and processed a little more 'raw' than it usually is for heavier groups like Lamb of God. I chalk most of the hate for it up to group confirmation bias: like the 'loudness war' stuff about Death Magnetic, a few reviewers talked poo poo about it and it snowballed into the hate meme everyone seems to have now. Most popular heavy metal is mixed like that, nobody batted an eye when you could hear the slammed limiter on LoG's Wrath.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The drums sound bad, but so does everything else on yhe album. Load and reload may not be metal but they are more listenable than St Anger. Death Magnetic was fine even if it was not memorable.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I totally forgot about this, thank you so much.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I'm always too busy listening to the guitars to give a poo poo about the drums in Metallica songs :shrug:

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Hyperlynx posted:

I'm always too busy listening to the guitars to give a poo poo about the drums in Metallica songs :shrug:

:yeah:

seriously though Lars sucks poo poo lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

It's really not that bad. Tight heads; loose wires. A pretty common drum tuning technique for metal, recorded and processed a little more 'raw' than it usually is for heavier groups like Lamb of God. I chalk most of the hate for it up to group confirmation bias: like the 'loudness war' stuff about Death Magnetic, a few reviewers talked poo poo about it and it snowballed into the hate meme everyone seems to have now. Most popular heavy metal is mixed like that, nobody batted an eye when you could hear the slammed limiter on LoG's Wrath.

Yeah but Wrath is a way better album.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Imagine listening to Metallica lmao

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Let me know what you think of the guitar solos in St Anger.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Dabir posted:

you don't have to imagine it pal, just download their songs!

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Arivia posted:

Pity about the vocals.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Arivia posted:

I have a soft spot for it because it was basically the first LoG album I sat down and listened to, front-to-back. Went out with my college roommate to the record store; I bought Mastodon's Crack the Skye and he bought Wrath. We agreed to sit and listen to both. I initially felt assaulted by the aggressive limiting, but I think he made the better choice, in retrospect. I was a huge Mastodon fan but CtS was right about when they started to spiral up through a crack in they asses. There are like four excellent riffs on that album and they're all over far too soon.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Amoeba102 posted:

Pity about the vocals.

Can’t say that Randy Blythe isn’t dedicated to metal. They’re fine. Unless this is a potshot at growls in which case yawn.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Arivia posted:

Can’t say that Randy Blythe isn’t dedicated to metal. They’re fine. Unless this is a potshot at growls in which case yawn.

I'll have to go back and listen but I think I'd agree that he doesn't really flex his insane range on that one like he did on Sacrament.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

I'll have to go back and listen but I think I'd agree that he doesn't really flex his insane range on that one like he did on Sacrament.

No I agree with you.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Arivia posted:

Unless this is a potshot at growls in which case yawn.

Yeah it is. The music on Wrath is good, but I'm no fan of growls for vocals. So I don't listen to Lamb.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xui06jwWaAM

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I like Metallica but I've never been a huge fan, always thought the only really good music they have was the stuff written by Dave Mustaine. But like, I would listen to them if they come on the radio even now, and they have some decent bangers imo.

When st anger came out they were my brother's favourite band, he was unbelievably excited about it and stayed up to listen to the entire thing on the radio at midnight when it released. Had like a deluxe preordered copy to pick up the next day etc.

For about a week he got really mad at me whenever I pointed out that it was absolute garbage. Took him about another week after that to realise it was basically unlistenable poo poo.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Hyperlynx posted:

luchadornado has a new favorite as of 04:19 on Jul 11, 2022

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Re: Kirk Hammet pics.

Except now he looks like he's 2 years from death. His curls and grey hair and general slump of a face progressed.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Hyperlynx posted:

Boring drums means a boring song.

:rimshot:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Oh so people are upset they copied the original DooM music.

Still people like that chiptune/PC OST stuff I don't see the problem.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Dabir posted:

Imagine listening lmao

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Agents are GO! posted:

Imagine listening lmao

Imagine lmao

:smith:

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Metallica sucks. There I said it. It’s lovely music for 60 year old dudes who refuse to listen to anything made after 1990.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Oh so people are upset they copied the original DooM music.

Still people like that chiptune/PC OST stuff I don't see the problem.

bobby prince was infamously a big plagiarist for the doom soundtrack

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Never forget what they took from us.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

flavor.flv posted:

Never forget what they took from us.

I liked the pina colada flavor, which in retrospect looked like a big bottle of cum.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Fister Roboto posted:

I liked the pina colada flavor, which in retrospect looked like a big bottle of cum.

That one, the pink one in the meme, and the orange carrot were all great. My brother and I used to get them all the time when we were teenagers. I've always wondered why they went (mostly) away.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I miss Snapple Rain :(

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Arivia posted:

bobby prince was infamously a big plagiarist for the doom soundtrack

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/15339-bobby-prince-is-a-filthy-thief/

The first time I heard "Them Bones" by Alice In Chains was weird as hell, because I knew exactly what was coming up next in the song because I knew the Doom soundtracks back to front. That and the intro of South of Heaven by Slayer. They were used almost verbatim in Barrels O Fun and Dead Simple, respectively.

I heard that, as it turned out, it wasn't actually so much that Mr Prince was a thief as the iD guys handed him a stack of metal albums and said "rip this off as closely as you can without us getting in trouble", and that before he was a music guy he was a lawyer, so he knew how far to push it.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

FFT posted:

I miss Snapple Rain :(

wow haven't thought about this since high school (twenty years ago)

turns out they did bring it back in the form of "snapple elements": https://www.snapple.com/products/snapple-elements-rain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti