Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Namtab posted:

My hope for the Namtab era is that people really think before posting, about how people may interpret their posts
now try making GBS threads in the other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
my early-childhood anime exposure was Voltron and Unico

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

one I didn't realize was anime until later was the Grimms Fairy Tales show on Nick Jr which is of course obvious in hindsight but you don't really think about that when you're a kid

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

FilthyImp posted:

After Pokémon hit it big, there was a gold rush of all types of 'mu's with the hope that something else would snag an audience.

Teknoman and Escaflowne were just on the "We should get something AWESOME for BOYS" end.

Teknoman was airing like two years before Pokemon though I thought

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Tekkaman Blade not only getting a TV Dub/edit but a pretty faithful one for the time still strikes me as one of the more odder choices (Not that it didn't rock but still felt weird)

SPACE LANCE!

SPACE LARIAT!

GOT TO GET THIS GIANT ARM OFF ME! IT'S SO HEAVY! MAYBE THE SPACE LANCE...!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

kirbysuperstar posted:

Teknoman was airing like two years before Pokemon though I thought
Yep, I'm a dumbass with bad dates!

Turns out it was a SABAN project that tried to capitalize the way that Power Rangers did for Sentai!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Mazed posted:

bring back poofy haired lesbians with giant pauldrons and combat leotards.
the Cat’s Eye cameo in 2019’s City Hunter: Shinjuku Private Eyes is something that needs to be explored further, but i would also accept a Dirty Pair reboot or Slayers sequel

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i liked the episode of dirty pair where they accidentally blew up an entire planet killing everyone on it

and the one with the fascist big brain rats that take over a laboratory

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

my first anime experience was probably vhs pokemon dub tapes, or like hello kitty vhs tapes and maybe bits of YGO on tv?? and then i bought a copy of tokyo mew mew vol 1 at a book fair in school when i was like 10 and now im into anime

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Ranma 1/2, Record of Lodoss War, and Vampire Hunter D, in middle school, on scratchy-to-the-point-of-incomprehensibility VHS tapes

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

the generational divide can be separated easily with the question "was Pokemon your first anime?"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

cowboy bebop taught teen me that anime could be cool. lupin III taught me that anime could be good

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ronin Warriors was probably my favorite "ran on network US tv" anime, but some of the stuff they ran on that Saturday Anime block on the Sci-fi Channel was pretty great, although it's a shame everything was so heavily edited to fit into an hour. I was shocked when I tracked down Iria: The Zeiram Animation and found out it was actually a multi-episode OVA

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

symbolic posted:

the generational divide can be separated easily with the question "was Pokemon your first anime?"

What if Digimon was my first anime :cool:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The 7th Guest posted:

cowboy bebop taught teen me that anime could be cool. lupin III taught me that anime could be good

the implication that Cowboy Bebop isn't good, let alone fantastic, is concerning

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

whether or not the shows in question were "quality" was, at the time, something for later consideration at best. It can't be overstated how rapturously rad it was being a 7th grader in the mid 90s finding out about cartoons with violence and boobies.

(later we'd discover Slayers, Evangelion, and Cowboy Bebop, and determine that yes, yes indeed, anime could be GOOD, if at times baffling)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Supremezero posted:

What if Digimon was my first anime :cool:

then you're cool as hell since it was vastly superior to Pokemon and i watched a hell of a lot more of it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

symbolic posted:

the implication that Cowboy Bebop isn't good, let alone fantastic, is concerning
it's good, it was what got me as a teen into anime. but i love lupin III a lot more

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

The 7th Guest posted:

i liked the episode of dirty pair where they accidentally blew up an entire planet killing everyone on it
do you have any idea how little

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

FilthyImp posted:

All You Need is Kill would be a great adaptation. Every episode like the Endless 8!

There is no way that doesn't already have an anime adaption. It had a major movie.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Pokemon: "these cute creatures fight but they're all okay in the end, haha :)"
Digimon: "this Digimon launched a loving nuclear missile, now here's a soundtrack with Less than Jake and Barenaked Ladies"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TenementFunster posted:

do you have any idea how little
it didn't look like a small planet though the conflict on it was framed as a war between two gangs, so it wasn't like blowing up Alderaan or w/e

the episodic nature of the show though meant that WWA i guess was chill with it by the time they got back

e: oh yeah i also enjoyed the episode with the trans woman who unfortunately gets sent off on a rocket by her boyfriend's transphobic dad on a one-way trip, and so the boyfriend gets in a rocket and blasts off on a one-way trip to follow her, and then the dad gets sad and gets in a rocket and blasts off on a one-way trip, and then his assistant tries to get in a rocket (but is stopped), and each time it's very melodramatic. what could've been a lovely ending became a hilarious one

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 11, 2022

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

that time period when starz after midnight just showed all the sickest ovas and movies on loop. all the patlabor movies, black magic, gits, cyber city oedo, demon city shinjuku, macross II

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

symbolic posted:

Pokemon: "these cute creatures fight but they're all okay in the end, haha :)"
Digimon: "this Digimon launched a loving nuclear missile, now here's a soundtrack with Less than Jake and Barenaked Ladies"

Skull Greymon taught me a lot more about not forcing evolution than the Raichu thing ever did

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Covok posted:

There is no way that doesn't already have an anime adaption. It had a major movie.
it doesnt have an anime. it has a manga adaptation but no anime. it was only a single volume and anime adaptations of light novels largely exist to promote ongoing, serialized material.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Actually would you count Yukikaze as a mecha LN?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

kirbysuperstar posted:

Skull Greymon taught me a lot more about not forcing evolution than the Raichu thing ever did

you just converted deeply sealed 15 year old memories into a chill up my spine

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Everything Burrito posted:

I prefer the ones where the real-world person gets portal'd into the fantasy world or transmigrates into a character who is already a fully-grown adult; the reincarnation thing often leads to having a weirdly precocious toddler MC at some point and even in ones I otherwise enjoy I hate when they do that.

Yeah, the baby arc is universally poo poo and always lasts way too long.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mazed posted:

whether or not the shows in question were "quality" was, at the time, something for later consideration at best. It can't be overstated how rapturously rad it was being a 7th grader in the mid 90s finding out about cartoons with violence and boobies.

(later we'd discover Slayers, Evangelion, and Cowboy Bebop, and determine that yes, yes indeed, anime could be GOOD, if at times baffling)

Speaking of Slayers, we could have had it on TV, but Fox Kids got the broadcast rights and sat on them seemingly for the sole reason of not letting Toonami have it, lol

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Pokemon was probably my first anime but I didn't really see it that way at the time. Pokemon was Pokemon, the hit show based off the best-selling game I was playing. What's anime? I guess there's also this Digimon thing but that just looks like a rip-off of Pokemon so I'll just watch Pokemon (I was not especially media literate at this time). There was also My Neighbor Totoro, which was obviously Japanese, but I didn't see that as the tip of anything larger. It was just that movie from Japan I liked.

I eventually became aware of anime as a specific category of media thanks to Toonami, though most of the shows they advertised either didn't appeal or were scheduled for an inconvenient time slot. The anime block was after school, but my parents had a strict "Homework first" policy, so by the time I was finished the block was over.

FullMetal Alchemist (not Brotherhood) was the first show I was actually able to sit down and watch. I thought it was pretty cool. Then I picked up the manga and thought it was even better, and here we are.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

The 7th Guest posted:

e: oh yeah i also enjoyed the episode with the trans woman who unfortunately gets sent off on a rocket by her boyfriend's transphobic dad on a one-way trip, and so the boyfriend gets in a rocket and blasts off on a one-way trip to follow her, and then the dad gets sad and gets in a rocket and blasts off on a one-way trip, and then his assistant tries to get in a rocket (but is stopped), and each time it's very melodramatic. what could've been a lovely ending became a hilarious one
Kei and Yuri said “trans rights, dad” in like 1985

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

symbolic posted:

then you're cool as hell since it was vastly superior to Pokemon and i watched a hell of a lot more of it

Digimon sucked

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pokemon had better games but a worse show while Digimon had worse games but a better show. This was the knowledge myself and all children at school understood.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Now it is the opposite of course. As Cyber Sleuth is very rad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Pokemon had better games but a worse show while Digimon had worse games but a better show. This was the knowledge myself and all children at school understood.

:hai:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Booky posted:

my first anime experience was probably vhs pokemon dub tapes, or like hello kitty vhs tapes and maybe bits of YGO on tv?? and then i bought a copy of tokyo mew mew vol 1 at a book fair in school when i was like 10 and now im into anime

I watched Pokemon obsessively growing up, right up until Ash made it to the Indigo League.
And lost.
Yeah.

And of course DBZ was there, too. I'll never forget I thought the series ended with Vegeta blowing himself up against Buu because they started doing reruns after that episode.

But I will always call Inuyasha my first real anime because the dub was a lot more faithful and did not try to disguise "this is a uniquely Japanese creation, not just another cartoon." And of course IY was actually set in Japan and dealt a lot with Japanese history and mythology. So I attribute my love of all things Japanese to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI_el2XhI8s

This always overwhelms me with nostalgia of watching IY as a kid in high school.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

a.lo posted:

Digimon sucked

:blastu: :blastu: :blastu: :blastu: :blastu:

SyntheticPolygon posted:

there was a DS game i really like and Cyber Sleuth is pretty good

e: gently caress!!!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

symbolic posted:

speed racer

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

symbolic posted:

there was a DS game i really like and Cyber Sleuth is pretty good

e: gently caress!!!

These games were after the heyday of Pokemon vs Digimon arguments at recess and don't count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

digimon world 4 is an arpg like champions of norrath and you know, it's alright

even though it's weird for veemon to be running around with a broadsword