Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I had Digimon World and couldn't figure out how to get a Gomamon (could you even play as a Gomamon?). loving bullshit. Hate that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

NikkolasKing posted:

I watched Pokemon obsessively growing up, right up until Ash made it to the Indigo League.
And lost.
Yeah.

And of course DBZ was there, too. I'll never forget I thought the series ended with Vegeta blowing himself up against Buu because they started doing reruns after that episode.

But I will always call Inuyasha my first real anime because the dub was a lot more faithful and did not try to disguise "this is a uniquely Japanese creation, not just another cartoon." And of course IY was actually set in Japan and dealt a lot with Japanese history and mythology. So I attribute my love of all things Japanese to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI_el2XhI8s

This always overwhelms me with nostalgia of watching IY as a kid in high school.
https://youtu.be/QsNv4JN4BXg

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

symbolic posted:

Pokemon: "these cute creatures fight but they're all okay in the end, haha :)"
Digimon: "this Digimon launched a loving nuclear missile, now here's a soundtrack with Less than Jake and Barenaked Ladies"

Digimon: it got me into ska

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I had Digimon World and couldn't figure out how to get a Gomamon (could you even play as a Gomamon?). loving bullshit. Hate that game

Nope, you can't! Penguinmon is your water rookie, and none of Gomamon's line are in (they were designed after the toys Digimon World was based on).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgw69hd8OOI

Adult Swim was a master of previews and hype. This is what we were all here for.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Waffleman_ posted:

Speaking of Slayers, we could have had it on TV, but Fox Kids got the broadcast rights and sat on them seemingly for the sole reason of not letting Toonami have it, lol
I feel like that should have been on their Fox Kids channel that got sold to Disney in the delicious Saban backstab. They probably couldn't square it's content along the more "family friendly" sale they were making.

Everything Burrito posted:

some of the stuff they ran on that Saturday Anime block on the Sci-fi Channel was pretty great, although it's a shame everything was so heavily edited to fit into an hour. I was shocked when I tracked down Iria: The Zeiram Animation and found out it was actually a multi-episode OVA
I thought they ran Iria as a Part 1 and Part 2? At least when I recorded Saturday Anime in like 98.

That block also had LILY C.A.T. which is pretty awesome for a 7 or 8 am start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKT_GKGEbno

TNT (or TBS?) randomly ran anime films. It's how I saw Vampire Hunter D and Robit Carnivale one summer. And for some reason Cartoon Network ran Twilight of the Cockroaches

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Kind of weird how back in the 90s unless you knew about that one video rental store with subbed import tapes your only options to catch anime were going to be the scifi channel or cartoon network, and those probably shaped an entire generation of viewers in America at least.

Escalflowne was also insanely edited and weirdly paced when it aired as a Fox Kids morning cartoon.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

a.lo posted:

Digimon sucked

Digimon Season 1 is an amazing accident. A ten episode or so minseries being almost simulcast in America suddenly pushed into a 52+ episode juggernaut that led to an instant sequel. Digimon 02 is great until the end of the Digimon Emperor Arc, because the main writer left and the new writer was left no notes. Digimon Tamers is amazing, managing to actually have a deeper, darker themes. Too bad the creator went full rightwing chud for the anniversary play by somehow consuming American altright media in Japan.

Afterwards, it's a mixed bag. Digimon Froniters is okay but boring. Savers was legit kind of a decent shonen but a bit bland in places. Fusion was just okay, but it's sequel was better. 2020 is lopsided and didn't do enough for the older fans it courted.

But, hey, now Ghost Game is legit loving good with its dark, urban horror setting that protrays digimon as legit monsters invading our world and causing supernatural problems.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

NikkolasKing posted:

I watched Pokemon obsessively growing up, right up until Ash made it to the Indigo League.
And lost.
Yeah.

That Pokemon episode is so frickin good on a rewatch. It's like the kindest, kid-friendliest way of saying sometimes the "hero" loses, and not just loses, but loses in an unexpectedly humiliating way (Pikachu gets his rear end kicked not by some badass legendary or whatever, but by a fuckin Bellsprout). But no one's traumatized, there's no great tragedy, just poo poo happens and the important thing was always the journey.

NikkolasKing posted:

And of course DBZ was there, too. I'll never forget I thought the series ended with Vegeta blowing himself up against Buu because they started doing reruns after that episode.

But I will always call Inuyasha my first real anime because the dub was a lot more faithful and did not try to disguise "this is a uniquely Japanese creation, not just another cartoon." And of course IY was actually set in Japan and dealt a lot with Japanese history and mythology. So I attribute my love of all things Japanese to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI_el2XhI8s

This always overwhelms me with nostalgia of watching IY as a kid in high school.

Inuyasha really puts things in perspective. To me, having been introduced via Ranma and subsequently obsessing (OBSESSING) over it, Inuyasha was always "that new thing Takahashi is making," and for a while we didn't even know if they'd publish it in English. They did, of course, and in hindsight OF COURSE they were gonna, because the western audience was proving real and ravenous. Not long after, the manga section in bookstores started blowing up, and you could barely move around for all the teenage kids glued to the aisle.

It's still like that these days, with the teenage kids still there, but B&N wisely opened it into a big wide section. :v:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

FilthyImp posted:

I thought they ran Iria as a Part 1 and Part 2? At least when I recorded Saturday Anime in like 98.

That block also had LILY C.A.T. which is pretty awesome for a 7 or 8 am start.

I don't remember exactly, because my strongest memory of watching that block is not watching it because I'd put the channel on expecting it to run and they'd have something else on. All the tv anime I watched was very fragmented since nothing ever seemed to keep a steady schedule.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

pentyne posted:

Kind of weird how back in the 90s unless you knew about that one video rental store with subbed import tapes your only options to catch anime were going to be the scifi channel or cartoon network, and those probably shaped an entire generation of viewers in America at least.

Escalflowne was also insanely edited and weirdly paced when it aired as a Fox Kids morning cartoon.
blockbuster had akira, utena, lodoss, and macross plus!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

pentyne posted:

your only options to catch anime were going to be the scifi channel or cartoon network, and those probably shaped an entire generation of viewers in America at least.

As I understand it, FOX wanted it to cater to boys and tried to excise as much of Hitomi's plot as possible lol.

Suncoast Video had an insanely strong anime VHS section. What a joy it was to browse all those unknown titles.

CN didn't really embrace anime until summer of 99 or 2000? When they ran the block with Gundam Wing and Tenchi Muyo. They experimented with it by bringing in Sailor Moon and finishing the R season. Did well enough they were able to get Goku finish the Jayce/Burter fight and close out the Freeza saga.

Scifi didn't have any consistent series, instead licensing OVAs for summer events (like the one hosted by Apollo Smiles, with Tenchi in Love) or their Saturday morning thing.

Pre 1995 you probably caught random poo poo like Speed Racer reruns or Robotech or maybe some weird syndicated-at-6am showings of Ronin Warriors or Dragon Ball. Sailor Moon's initial syndicated run in my neck of the woods had a prime 7:00 or 7:30 am spot but it didn't make it too far. And DBZ was on at like 6am randomly following the DB arc where the pig wishes for underwear. What a loving whiplash it was to go from weirdo kid Goku to svelte fighting teen Goku and some Green Dude with too much swag fighting aliens.

Everything Burrito posted:

All the tv anime I watched was very fragmented since nothing ever seemed to keep a steady schedule.
loving truth. As an adult you maybe understand things about time slots and seasons. As a kid you're just like "wait why did they move Teknoman to Sundays and now I'm watching like Jumanji the Series and reruns of Iron Man?! I need to know how this cliffhanger ends!"

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 11, 2022

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mazed posted:

That Pokemon episode is so frickin good on a rewatch. It's like the kindest, kid-friendliest way of saying sometimes the "hero" loses, and not just loses, but loses in an unexpectedly humiliating way (Pikachu gets his rear end kicked not by some badass legendary or whatever, but by a fuckin Bellsprout). But no one's traumatized, there's no great tragedy, just poo poo happens and the important thing was always the journey.

It may have said that at the time, but in the long run it was pretty much just the start of Ash being kind of pathetic and never winning.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mazed posted:

I suppose. I might be more okay with it if I rewatched it now, just like how I've made my peace with Yusuke losing his final fight in YYH.

quote:

Inuyasha really puts things in perspective. To me, having been introduced via Ranma and subsequently obsessing (OBSESSING) over it, Inuyasha was always "that new thing Takahashi is making," and for a while we didn't even know if they'd publish it in English. They did, of course, and in hindsight OF COURSE they were gonna, because the western audience was proving real and ravenous. Not long after, the manga section in bookstores started blowing up, and you could barely move around for all the teenage kids glued to the aisle.

It's still like that these days, with the teenage kids still there, but B&N wisely opened it into a big wide section. :v:

For a long time, Inuyasah was a popular punching bag on this forum and others and I specifically remember somebody who also saw Ranma first got really mad that Inuyasha took its place as Takahashi's signature series.`

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The MCs losing is often the best part of sports and adjacent animes. (Pokemon is of course at its heart a sport anime)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
First watch was Sailor Moon with the DiC dub. Second was probably Pokémon or DBZ, whichever one started airing on YTV first, can't remember. After that it was Digimon, maybe a couple episodes of Hamtaro, then Cardcaptor Sakura, some Monster Rancher, Medabots and a very brief foray into YuGiOh. After Pokémon The Movie 2000 came out and everyone watched it in theaters I sorta fell off the trend since anime was too girly and I was a hot poo poo badass 8 year old who liked grown up stuff.

And I remember watching some medieval show where a woman got eaten by a monster and I think it was an episode of Record of Lodoss War? Either way it was weird and I didn't follow up on it.

I think it wasn't until I was in university around 2011-2012 that I made another attempt to get back into Anime. I'd seen stuff here and there over the last few years but 2011 was the year I first started watching the Anime Abandon videos by Ben the Sage when he was still on Channel Awesome. That year I watched all of Cowboy Bebop, Code Geass, Gundam 08th MS Team, Trigun, Samurai Champloo and a bunch of Ghibli movies and the weeb roots set in.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Supremezero posted:

It may have said that at the time, but in the long run it was pretty much just the start of Ash being kind of pathetic and never winning.

I confess I may never have noticed a pattern because it was like a one-time standout Ash moment to a viewer otherwise glued to Team Rocket.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
inuyasha is not particularly good with adult eyes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

cheetah7071 posted:

inuyasha is not particularly good with adult eyes

Not a particularly healthy Dom and Sub relationship when the girl can beat on the guy at will with a single command whether he likes it or not?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Arc Hammer posted:

Not a particularly healthy Dom and Sub relationship when the girl can beat on the guy at will with a single command whether he likes it or not?

Isn't Inuyasha really abrasive, constantly snuck out to talk to Kikyo without telling Kagome, and rude? Plus at least in the manga she uses the command less as it progresses

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

mycophobia posted:

speed racer

this

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

symbolic posted:

the generational divide can be separated easily with the question "was Pokemon your first anime?"

g-force or maybe speed racer

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

Isn't Inuyasha really abrasive, constantly snuck out to talk to Kikyo without telling Kagome, and rude? Plus at least in the manga she uses the command less as it progresses

Dudes Rock.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
As lovely as Harmony Gold became years later, Robotech and Sailor Moon were my first anime.

Gohans Dad
Jul 11, 2015

Look how they massacred my boy.

Ardeem posted:

As lovely as Harmony Gold became years later, Robotech and Sailor Moon were my first anime.

Sailor Moon was definitely mine, with DBZ right behind it of course.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

watching dbz after school because all the boys would be talking about it at lunch tomorrow but secretly liking sailor moon more

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

watching sailor moon on my grandparents tiny tv but changing the channel when they came in the room

in retrospect i dont think they wouldve thought it was any weirder than dbz

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

homeless snail posted:

watching dbz after school because all the boys would be talking about it at lunch tomorrow but secretly liking sailor moon more

epicly this

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I thought Pokemon was okay but I can't think of anything in it I watched as much as Sailor Moon beating Queen Beryl

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Supremezero posted:

I’ll admit I don’t actually keep up with Pokémon but I know I saw some tweet thread or something about how he’s generally been getting farther and farther in tournament brackets as the series has gone on

And like, he won the most recent one

Gohans Dad
Jul 11, 2015

Look how they massacred my boy.

Erg posted:

I’ll admit I don’t actually keep up with Pokémon but I know I saw some tweet thread or something about how he’s generally been getting farther and farther in tournament brackets as the series has gone on

He should, hes like 47 by now!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

when ash crossdressed into ashley I, as a kid, realized I wanted to be a girl

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Erg posted:

I think after that, they've also been kinda de-emphasizing the whole Pokemon League conceit and just making it an episodic adventure show

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

FilthyImp posted:

Suncoast Video had an insanely strong anime VHS section. What a joy it was to browse all those unknown titles.
i almost forgot about Suncoast. RIP to the place where i bought the gunsmith cats, gundam 0080, and cowboy bebop VHS tapes

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I got the Evangelion DVD platinum steelbox set and I got the box signed by Spike Spencer and it's probably one of the most valuable things I own at this point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Covok posted:

Too bad the creator went full rightwing chud for the anniversary play by somehow consuming American altright media in Japan.
This was blown way, way out of proportion by the internet, lol. The joke in the play is that the 'cancel culture' monster is overblown and doesnt really do much and all the kids make fun of the government agent guy for being so upset about it, and also konaka apologized on his blog and went 'that was just me working through some personal poo poo and i realize it was way too touchy and weird for an anniversary play meant to celebrate the franchise, but by the time i realized that it was too late to make changes.'

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ThingOne posted:

I thought Pokemon was okay but I can't think of anything in it I watched as much as Sailor Moon beating Queen Beryl

I watched Sailor Moon S1 for the first time when I was 31 and it was still more hype than a lot of Dragonball.

Speaking of Dragonball, it’s kind of surreal that it being on Nicktoons means it’s literally been a gateway anime for multiple generations of weebs. It’s so weird looking up meme clips like Android 13’s haircut diss and seeing people talk about how they watched the movies on Nicktoons when they were kids. God I’m old.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I think Voltron counts as my first anime, but I was like 5 or 6 and it was on in random saturday morning reruns so I'm not THAT old

right?

gently caress. I was 12 when pokemon started to air.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Teknoman, Ronin Warriors, and Escaflowne were my first three "anime" beyond just catching Pokemon/Digimon after school or Sailor Moon before school. Escaflowne was my first subbed experience, actually. I still have my old VHS box set and it's in decent condition, though I have no clue whether the tapes have degraded or not having no VHS player for 20 years.

I never had cable growing up, so my first experience with CN's Toonami block was in college. So, I never got that initial dose of Cowboy Bebop/Tenchi Muyo/Trigun/etc. that a lot of early 2000s weebs got. Really, I'd say my first big two shows I invested in (e.g.; bought the VHS/DVDs for) were the aforementioned Escaflowne and Serial Experiments Lain which I bought the DVD boxset for purely off a random dork's gushing recommendation on Yahoo chat. :v: Where ever that person is right now, may a thousand blessings be upon them for not leading me astray. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Who remembers watching full eps of anime on youtube in 10 minute chunks