Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Violet_Sky posted:

Who remembers watching full eps of anime on youtube in 10 minute chunks

me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
:same:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
i remember irc bot transfers

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

cheetah7071 posted:

i remember irc bot transfers

waiting patiently in a xdcc queue only for your brother to want to make a phone call

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Downloading anime and manga via 30 rapidshare .rars

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Violet_Sky posted:

Does watching trailers in real player count as being close?

I remember the first Digisub I watched wasn't in Divx but I forget what exact format it was.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Violet_Sky posted:

wtf 10 minute chunks. vimeo, weird rear end vid players, etc would have em in full

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Violet_Sky posted:

the first thing i ever watched on youtube was rock lee vs kimmimaro in my schools computer lab during CS class in grade 9 and i was like "woah look how far ahead this is from the shonen jump monthlies and rock lee is STILL relevant, all my fears about the future of naruto are assuaged!!!"

my first anime is probably technically the canadian dub of dragon ball, but i watched a lot of un translated vhs tapes when i was like 4-8 at my japanese friends house because his dad had them shipped over to keep him connected to his home. we watched g gundam, gundam wing, gaogaigar, evangelion, random doraemon eps, all sorts of stuff. normal rear end kid shows by that point were anime like pokemon and digimon and dbz and monster rancher and escaflowne and yugioh and stuff, but a lot of people didnt really know the difference. my local mom and pop video store just had a section marked KIDS and anything animated or with a prominent animal on it went in that section, so you had a weird mix of air bud and black beauty and disney classics and akira and ninja scroll and la blue girl and urotsukidoji. truly insane in retrospect, but that was the 90s!!!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Willo567 posted:

Isn't Inuyasha really abrasive, constantly snuck out to talk to Kikyo without telling Kagome, and rude? Plus at least in the manga she uses the command less as it progresses

I'll confess to not really being into Inuyasha (the show in general) at at the time so my memory might be false, but as far as I do remember, everyone but Sango and the cricket/flea/mosquito guy were kinda brats anyway so they were probably a perfect pair honestly.

Anyway, I found out about anime from Cartoon Network and the Fox Morning cartoon block. So Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z and I dunno, Rurouni Kenshin? Cowboy Bebop? I have no idea what I saw after DBZ. It could've been IGPX for all I know.

Violet_Sky posted:

Fighting for my life to find the next part of it more like.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

symbolic posted:

you just converted deeply sealed 15 year old memories into a chill up my spine

... it's 20 by now.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Fox Kids was probably my first non-Pokemon anime experience. Sailor Moon was also around. It was part of the DIC package that every local channel here aired before school started.

One time as a kid my brother and I found a unlabeled VHS tape in a bunch of dead leaves on the street. Our mom told us to throw it away immediately. We got back pretty quickly and put in the VCR. It turned out to be one of the Gundams. Not sure which. All I remember is a woman in military uniform watch stuff happen outside a window. That was my first Gundam experience.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
My first anime was Tenchi Muyo, which aired alongside DBZ on Cartoon Network's Toonami block. As I recall, they didn't give much of a poo poo about whether they were broadcasting episodes of the OVA or the Anime, so characters appeared and disappeared and changed characterisation frequently from episode to episode as a result.

I think that was also the first fandom I really got into, spending time trawling the Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction Archive for stuff to read, tracking down info about the stuff that was being cut from the broadcast episodes, and so on.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I remember using my parents' Netflix to get anime DVDs as they had a really good catalog at the time and my dad getting annoyed that I was using too much of the queue.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I remember in high school I was real into comcasts little on-demand anime channel but I cannot remember a single loving thing I saw on there. Just sludge that rolled right out of my brain, which is a little sad because me and a homie would meet up at school and talk about how much poo poo we binged the previous night lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

oh that reminds me that when 3g first came to aus I got a LG flipphone of some description and three had a anime channel you could pay like two bucks a month for

i'm pretty sure it only had blood+, gankutsuo and ROD the TV in absolutely dreadful like, 100p with a worse bitrate than realplayer lol

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I began torrenting anime all the way back in 2003 after my family upgraded from 56k to DSL. Then a few years later when I went to college I figured out how to convert videos into a format that'd be compatible with my Zune. I watched through most of Turn A Gundam and a lot of Gintama on my Zune in the campus library between classes.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Great taste, Gintama was one of my first teen faves *really small voice* and the zune was awesome

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sleng Teng posted:

Great taste, Gintama was one of my first teen faves *really small voice* and the zune was awesome

:hai: it was truly a device ahead of its time.

I have a lot of fondness for Gintama since I got into it while recovering from surgery. I knew I was gonna be in bed for weeks afterwards so in preparation for that I grabbed a long-running anime I knew nothing about and wound up striking gold.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

god bless the squircle

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Srice posted:

:hai: it was truly a device ahead of its time.

I have a lot of fondness for Gintama since I got into it while recovering from surgery. I knew I was gonna be in bed for weeks afterwards so in preparation for that I grabbed a long-running anime I knew nothing about and wound up striking gold.
i watched all of hxh while my internet was out for a month, that kinda experience is special even if the circumstances around it kinda suck

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

i watched all of hxh while my internet was out for a month, that kinda experience is special even if the circumstances around it kinda suck

yeah if nothing else I appreciate that it's an easy way to remember what my life was like while watching it, as opposed to so many shows where I wouldn't even be able to remember the year I watched them much less what I was doing with my life at the time

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i watched a bunch of crappy 2008-2012 light novel shows, with my crappy late 2000s flip phone plugged into a car charge because i was living in my van for a couple weeks. and strike the blood sucks but i still remember most of what happens in it because of that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this resolution is the ideal way to experience accel world

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Time is dead and meaning has no meaning!

Violet_Sky posted:

This is how I first watched Azumanga Daioh. I thought it sucked but kept watching because my friends wouldn't shut up about how great it was. Years later I read the manga, realized that it works much better as a 4koma with 80% less Kimura, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I was knocked out on my rear end for a bit after some surgery last month so I watched all of glass mask, which I think is an excellent show to have burned into your brain like that. right up there with rose of versailles for shoujo drama I will never forget

I also played a lot of xenoblade chronicles 2 so I have one of the funniest friendzonings of all time seared into my brain also

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I think my first anime was the usual Pokemon and Yugioh, and then once I managed to catch an episode of Saiyuki that involved some lady's possessed demon boob that traumatised me a bit.

I only really got back into anime in the rear end-end of uni when I decided to watch some Jojo's to see what all the fuss was about, and also caught onto MHA.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I remember getting my dad to record on VHS the Digimon episodes that ran on the local TV since sometimes I couldn't watch them cause school. I think I still have them.

Also when the local channels started repeating old Pokemon episodes he gave me a DVD with the Sinnoh season where I discovered the Spanish songs were vert different from the JP ones (although I don't remember if they were the JP dub with subs or the Spanish dub with JP songs for some reason).

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I started with Pokemon and Digimon and Monster Rancher, and I remember my mom would borrow anime and anime-ish movies from the library (The Last Unicorn, which I enjoyed very much at the time, and Adolescence of Utena, which eight year old me was very confused by, were standouts).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Endorph posted:

this resolution is the ideal way to experience accel world

how

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the first anime i remember actively watching was dbz but i probably saw speed racer incidentally before that. i remember having a concept even at the time of dbz and pokemon and stuff being from japan, just due to the names in the credits, iirc id seen a few of the nintendo highers ups names on old-rear end fansites like smbhq, and i knew those guys were japanese, and i probably saw a shigeru or a miyamoto in the dbz credits too, so i was like 'oh, this must be from japan, too, since theres that japanese name and ive never met anyone with any of these other names outside of the people in charge of translation.'

i watched a lot of digimon, dbz, pokemon, fell off anime for a few years, watched naruto on tv and decided to go looking up anime online and got into it from there.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
my first anime that wasn't pokemon or yu-gi-oh was inuyasha, crediting my weeb teenage girl cousins for that one from when i was 12

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you have the phone on its side you can sort of read the subtitles

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mine was some random arcade game. Not even one with a screen, a physical knock-em-down game with 80s-style art.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Chicken Thumbs posted:

This is how I first watched Azumanga Daioh. I thought it sucked but kept watching because my friends wouldn't shut up about how great it was. Years later I read the manga, realized that it works much better as a 4koma with 80% less Kimura, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Pretty much my exact same experience with azumanga except it was whole episodes on a streaming site. It really is just better to pick up the omnibus and read that.

Youtube really was the wild west back in the day with regards to anime. I watched a bunch of anime that way, such as magical shopping arcade abenobashi, air gear, green green, digimon savers, panty & stocking, etc. I even remember stumbling on uncensored Bible black which was wild

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I can't really remember my first non-Digimon/Pokemon anime cause they loved to put random poo poo dubbed on TV, like they put Doraemon together with Evangelion of all things. That said I remember of all things kid me was really invested in Mermaid Melody of all things, mostly because the villain songs were cool.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I think my second anime was Ranma which is hilarious on some level.

Wait, no! It was Sailor Moon. Then Ranma.

vvv :hmmyes: Thank god for the DS’s terrible copy protection. Absolute golden age.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 11, 2022

marumaru
May 20, 2013

now this was a multimedia powerhouse

the zune didnt stand a chance

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Moonshell :allears:

It was so nice to use my DS as an mp3 player.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

For some reason my first anime was either Galaxy Angel or Jungle wa Itsumo (I cant believe I still remember that name) because my cousin's pro babysitting strat was to put on some incomprehensible anime to distract me I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Iirc my aunt picked up Ranma when I was like 8 from Blockbuster or some other VHS place so I guess I technically saw that, but my real first non-Pokémon/Digimon/etc was FLCL, which is a hell of a first non-kids block show to watch.

Speaking of Digimon, kinda wanna rewatch Tamers, it always stuck with me way more than the other shows of that era of Saturday morning anime did.