Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gundam Wing was hilarious, a recent rewatch proved that for me.

Getting hyped for Big O season 2, then adult swim hosed up the broadcast as it approached the end of the season, and then the season itself kinda just.....fast forwarding to the end of the show. Whiplash from the hype to the disappointment. Soundtrack still kicks rear end though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

verbal enema posted:

im not in nyc

i am in a very red town and that plus my pink hair is guaranteed to get some chud rage outt these clowns
i feel like this is a very stupid idea but hey its your jacket

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Covok posted:

Well, at least Tron Bonne is an adult.

Wait, I should check that.

For the love of God.

the more i think about megaman legends and all the hosed up poo poo in it, the more the fact that the va for tiesel was a pedo makes sense

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Oh yes. Mega Man Legends, known hosed up game

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
someone in the qcs thread called karen a tsundere. what a moron!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycophobia posted:

someone in the qcs thread called karen a tsundere. what a moron!

this

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Do not even ask posted:

the more i think about megaman legends and all the hosed up poo poo in it, the more the fact that the va for tiesel was a pedo makes sense

It is unnvering that is the second or third pedophile I heard who did anime voice acting in America.

verbal enema posted:

im not in nyc

i am in a very red town and that plus my pink hair is guaranteed to get some chud rage outt these clowns

I feel like it's more likely your punk friends are going to think you are a bootlicker

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Covok posted:

I feel like it's more likely your punk friends are going to think you are a bootlicker

deffo not but if so i an rip if off all dramatically so thats also cool

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

So is inspector gadget to a convoluted degree. I'm still not quite sure how you go from a child friendly foreign market Lupin III to Gadget.

Am I gonna get beaten in a quiet Japanese street with a baseball bat if I say I call Teen Titans and Avatar anime? I really liked those.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

pentyne posted:

Remember how for Endless Waltz they sent all the Gundams on a rocket to the sun now that peace was declared, then had to chase it down to bring the Gundams back after someone started another mech war?

Almost as dumb as the toonami editing where they talk about making sure to disable but not kill hundreds of enemies.

and then at the end they decide to destroy the Gundams again. except this time they just use the self-destruct devices that were built into all of them the whole time, instead of sending them to the sun again

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

calvin peeing on the police logo would be very punk

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

RareAcumen posted:

Am I gonna get beaten in a quiet Japanese street with a baseball bat if I say I call Teen Titans and Avatar anime? I really liked those.

Anime is just the Japaenese word for cartoon, so technically all animation is anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anime is generally used in a western sense to mean animation produced in japan for a japanese audience, but these days theres anime made for a largely overseas audience, like netflix stuff, so the definition is even more arbitrary than it already was

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

RareAcumen posted:

Yes, but for unrelated reasons

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

thunderbolt fantasy is not anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

thunderbolt fantasy is not anime
its made in taiwan for a gen urobuchi audience

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Endorph posted:

anime is generally used in a western sense to mean animation produced in japan for a japanese audience, but these days theres anime made for a largely overseas audience, like netflix stuff, so the definition is even more arbitrary than it already was

Is Avatar: The Last Airbender anime used to be a topic of heated debate and violent discussion, as if it honestly meant anything.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's also a lot more international co-productions nowadays.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Has there ever been a western cartoon adapation of a japanese comic?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Covok posted:

there was a western CG Astro Boy film

although it was still animated overseas

e: it's weird because you could say it's not a western film for that reason, but it was made for the western market and started initially as a Sony Pictures joint and always had american writers/directors attached from the beginning. a lot of money went into the voice cast so it has Donald Sutherland, Nic Cage, Samuel L Jackson, Kristen Bell, Eugene Levy, Charlize Theron, Nathan Lane, Alan Tudyk, David Alan Grier, Ryan Stiles, and Elle Fanning

not that animated films don't still try to get a lot of hollywood actors, but the late 2000s was sort of the peak of that where animation marketing prioritized celebrity talent over the storytelling and in the 2010s things shifted back the other way

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 11, 2022

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Covok posted:

It is unnvering that is the second or third pedophile I heard who did anime voice acting in America.

i think the voice cast was canadian, but i get your point

you'd think the pedo vas who get catfished into showing dickpix would be bigger news but i guess it's like wrestling where the general public views it as low-art for weirdos and don't care if the core workforce are depraved perverts

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Do like...Speed Racer and Voltron sequels count

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Covok posted:

theres the new adventures of speed racer, which was a short lived american-made sequel to the old speed racer anime (which was itself based on the old manga mach-go-go-go).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do video game adaptations count? The Darkstalkers Saturday morning cartoon that teamed up the teenage boy protagonist with Felicia the cheesecake cat girl was hilarious.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Arc Hammer posted:

Do video game adaptations count? The Darkstalkers Saturday morning cartoon that teamed up the teenage boy protagonist with Felicia the cheesecake cat girl was hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdO-yO-bfrU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Covok posted:

not a comic, but i will take any excuse to post this intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTItRfN-LO8

Covok
May 27, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

there was a western CG Astro Boy film

although it was still animated overseas

e: it's weird because you could say it's not a western film for that reason, but it was made for the western market and started initially as a Sony Pictures joint and always had american writers/directors attached from the beginning

I never saw this and it dissolved in water. It struck me as a generic 3D American Animated Film with little heart or soul.

Waffleman_ posted:

Do like...Speed Racer and Voltron sequels count

Endorph posted:

theres the new adventures of speed racer, which was a short lived american-made sequel to the old speed racer anime (which was itself based on the old manga mach-go-go-go).

Yeah, that's a good point, especially with Voltron. Speed Racer got one series, but Voltron has gotten around 4 American series. Then again, Voltron really isn't Golion at all and is more like a homoclous or frankenstein's monster made by canabalizing Go Lion so does that count?

It must be funny to Toei Animation, who made Go Lion. First, they accidentally sent the wrong series to America because the Americans just asked for "the lion show" and they assumed they'd want the newer one. Then, they were asked to make some more episodes for a show that underperformed in Japan. Now, that company is using facsimiles of their characters and made like Voltron 3D, Voltron Force, and Voltron Netflix. Actually, how do the American animators use those characters without running afoul of Japanese copyright law.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they license the characters from toei. like toei gets a 'based on' credit at the start of legendary defenders eps.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

That show loving sucked so bad. I am not shocked it got canceled. Maybe it's funny in a "so bad it's good" kind of way, but, as a kid, I just remember it being cringe.

symbolic posted:

not a comic, but i will take any excuse to post this intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTItRfN-LO8

I forgot about this show. It got everything wrong about Godzilla.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I like how Scott voices him in both the OVAs and the cartoon.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

I thought that WEP actually bought the Golion rights from Toei because Golion was not successful in Japan and was just seen as an average series there. Is that not true?

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Covok posted:

I never saw this and it dissolved in water. It struck me as a generic 3D American Animated Film with little heart or soul.

it has nic cage in it so you get the coinflip of it either being buckwild or really boring and sadly the coin landed on the boring side. i remember cage sounding xanax'd out of his mind. tragic really

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Covok posted:

There was a western comic adaptation of Saya no Uta

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

I thought that WEP actually bought the Golion rights from Toei. Is that not true?
The original GoLion series appeared in Super Robot Wars W in 2007, and there's a DVD release of it from around that time. It's possible that sale took place after, I suppose? But I'm pretty sure there's still a 'based on golion' credit in Legendary Defenders, unless that was just there as a courtesy or as a term of the sale.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Plutonis posted:

Lmao

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Covok posted:

Yeah, that's a good point, especially with Voltron. Speed Racer got one series, but Voltron has gotten around 4 American series. Then again, Voltron really isn't Golion at all and is more like a homoclous or frankenstein's monster made by canabalizing Go Lion so does that count?

It must be funny to Toei Animation, who made Go Lion. First, they accidentally sent the wrong series to America because the Americans just asked for "the lion show" and they assumed they'd want the newer one. Then, they were asked to make some more episodes for a show that underperformed in Japan. Now, that company is using facsimiles of their characters and made like Voltron 3D, Voltron Force, and Voltron Netflix. Actually, how do the American animators use those characters without running afoul of Japanese copyright law.

Probably because Go Lion is actually an incredibly violent series in its uncut form (the whole show is available subbed on Crunchyroll last I checked and is pretty good for the most part)

Speaking of, didn’t they try to do a second season to the original Voltron by cannibalizing an unrelated mecha series created by the same studio (Dairugger or something like that, I tried watching the original series it was based on once but found it kind of boring to be honest and there were way too many characters to keep track of)?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Larryb posted:

Probably because Go Lion is actually an incredibly violent series in its uncut form (the whole show is available subbed on Crunchyroll last I checked and is pretty good for the most part)

Speaking of, didn’t they try to do a second season to the original Voltron by cannibalizing an unrelated mecha series created by the same studio (Dairugger or something like that, I tried watching the original series it was based on once but found it kind of boring to be honest and there were way too many characters to keep track of)?

Rather than try to, they did so. What they tried to do was make a third season based on Lightspeed Electroid Albegas.

But people really liked Lion Voltron so they just made more Lion Voltron instead.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Jesus.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Supremezero posted:

Rather than try to, they did so. What they tried to do was make a third season based on Lightspeed Electroid Albegas.

But people really liked Lion Voltron so they just made more Lion Voltron instead.

Was Albegas any good out of curiosity (as I said, I enjoyed GoLion but wound up abandoning Dairugger pretty quickly)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Supremezero posted:

What's funny is that originally they wanted to adapt Daltanious, but when they requested for it, WEP asked for "the show with the robot lion", and Toei thought they meant Golion.

Larryb posted:

Was Albegas any good out of curiosity (as I said, I enjoyed GoLion but wound up abandoning Dairugger pretty quickly)?

AFAIK no one has subbed it so far