Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Holy poo poo!

THIS IS AMAZING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Holy poo poo

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Biden Max Head Room'd

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

that is some crazy poo poo ngl

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Wow. The color is really good.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Dotsa and loops into another domension.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Ehh

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

trippy af

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

That gravitational lensing is something :wtf:

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

This is what i wanted to post, omg

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
They had better release a high res version of this

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

that feeling when you realize all the little spirally things are full on galaxies lmao

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

there's gotta be some alien pigs out there with massive balls

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Log082 posted:

that feeling when you realize all the little spirally things are full on galaxies lmao

zoom in and just study them all. and then realize this is like 1 arc second of the sky

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the michael bay telescope

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I wonder if we’re going to end up with most of the images being full of gravitational lensing because of all the galaxies and black holes between us and the extremely far-off stuff. Like, everything more than 8-10 billion light years away looks like we’ve viewing it from inside a swimming pool looking at the sky.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
That ended in a hurry

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This microscope has tons of atoms in it.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Yeah, the multiple layers of gravitational lensing are craaazy

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

ok if this is the preview image tomorrow is gonna be lit af :2bong:

LanceHunter posted:

I wonder if we’re going to end up with most of the images being full of gravitational lensing because of all the galaxies and black holes between us and the extremely far-off stuff. Like, everything more than 8-10 billion light years away looks like we’ve viewing it from inside a swimming pool looking at the sky.

Honestly, probably but that's not a bad thing because we can at least use that to grab the light from behind the objects

I'm still in awe. Like, in that tiny little speck, there's so many galaxies. There's so many possibly habitable (at one time, maybe now!) planets. I can't stop looking at this picture

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/full_width/public/thumbnails/image/main_image_deep_field_smacs0723-1280.jpg?itok=6-LM40Qf

nasa link to the pic

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

there's gotta be some alien pigs out there with massive balls

It’s mathematically proven there have to be, by sheer chance, another massive set of balls out there. Waiting to be photographed.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
The potential for life on other planets is astounding

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The universe makes no god drat sense

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Holy poo poo I just noticed you can see the spiral arms in some of these galaxies

like i'm looking at a galaxy millions of lightyears away and I can pick out at least three arms on it

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

dizzying to even begin to try and contemplate the scale. thats at least 100 stars.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Lets go bizarre and think about. Wait a tic. I just blew my mind!

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Ok, thats cool.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/main_image_deep_field_smacs0723-5mb.jpg

i think this one is higher res

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

LanceHunter posted:

I'm hoping the very very smart people in NASA will be able to calculate the right values to unwarp those effects and produce cleaned up data. I mean, that has to be a very predictable reasonably simple visual effect, right?
My extraordinarily basic understanding is that things get extremely complex and weird at the medium sized, micro and quantum level, but poo poo is fairly simple at the giganto-size.

Apart from black holes, which are still weird.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

if we find other life, we shouldn't try to talk to them. they would probably stand in front of the telescope with their titties out because they don't know anyone is looking. if we introduce ourselves, they'll know and close the curtains. then goodbye alien titties.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Holy poo poo I just noticed you can see the spiral arms in some of these galaxies

like i'm looking at a galaxy millions of lightyears away and I can pick out at least three arms on it

yeah that was what hit me. On the surface it's not that different from computer generated speculative images I've seen but then I went "Oh right this is an actual image from an actual telescope of actual real galaxies" and had to stare off into space for a little bit.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Seth Pecksniff posted:

The NASA rep said the area of space in the image is a grain of sand at the tip of your finger, with your arm extended. Just a teeny tiny speck of space, and all that cosmic wonder is in that tiny area.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Log082 posted:

I'm pretty sure that everything you see in that picture is a galaxy. like even the really bright star-lookin' things are just foreground galaxies.

they're not a fuzzy blob because they're too bright and have blown out exposure. and if there had been a star in our own galaxy in the way, we wouldn't be able to see any of that stuff

(I don't know 100%, but that was the case with hubble ultra-deep field pics)

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Seth Pecksniff posted:

The big white one facing head-on in the upper-right quadrant is great

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i like this guy

check him out

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Here's a high res image. Look at all the ghost galaxies in the spaces between the ones you can clearly see

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/main_image_deep_field_smacs0723-5mb.jpg

e:fb

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Klyith posted:

I'm pretty sure that everything you see in that picture is a galaxy. like even the really bright star-lookin' things are just foreground galaxies.

yeah, that's the best part. You're like "Oh, all those spirally things are galaxies." Then later you think, "Oh wait. Everything else is galaxies too. It's all galaxies."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

There's gotta be like aliens doing the exact same thing we are right? Like they're looking at the Milky Way as it was millions of years ago