Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
isnt the whole thing with the Mach E GT that the thermal management is totally hosed so it can't perform up to its specs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sab669 posted:

Oh, KIA, right.

Hm, yea, that's... odd. Quick searching says mid 10's for the 570S, but mid/upper 11's for the 911 4.

I'm seeing a large range of figures for the Mustang Mach E but it's in the 12's. That video says it's got 100 more hp than the Ford, but it's down ~90 ft/lb. Assuming it'll be priced competitive with the Mach E GT, hard to imagine it's a full second faster there :v:

The Ford pulls power halfway through the run so it’s not at all hard to believe that the Kia could run 1s faster if it doesn’t fall off a cliff past 70mph or so. The model Y performance runs high 11s.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If you use all same sources (MT in this case) to try and eliminate some variance in the 1/4 times, the times are:

Mach-E GT: 12.6 @ 101
Model Y P: 12.0 @ 115
Model 3 P: 11.5 @ 117
Taycan Turbo S: 10.5 @ 131

And that video makes it seem like the EV6 GT will slot in somewhere between the 3P and the Taycan Turbo S which would be pretty amazing for a larger/heavier CUV.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Ford pulls power halfway through the run so it’s not at all hard to believe that the Kia could run 1s faster if it doesn’t fall off a cliff past 70mph or so. The model Y performance runs high 11s.

IIRC the Ford also has shorter gearing than the Teslas. I can't remember how much but with mine when it felt sluggish even in the 50-70 area (which is before it starts to pull power) I went looking because I wondered if that might be part of it, and it was. That gearing plus I'm guessing some aspect of their electric motors (lower redline? The difference between induction and permanent magnets? Dunno) is also part of the problem and probably mostly responsible for the Mach having a top speed of 124 while the Y is 155.

Ford really put all their eggs in the 0-60 basket and said gently caress everything else.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bird with big dick posted:

Ford really put all their eggs in the 0-60 basket and said gently caress everything else.

so calling it a mustang was the correct choice

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

so calling it a mustang was the correct choice

:eyepop:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

IIRC the Ford also has shorter gearing than the Teslas. I can't remember how much but with mine when it felt sluggish even in the 50-70 area (which is before it starts to pull power) I went looking because I wondered if that might be part of it, and it was. That gearing plus I'm guessing some aspect of their electric motors (lower redline? The difference between induction and permanent magnets? Dunno) is also part of the problem and probably mostly responsible for the Mach having a top speed of 124 while the Y is 155.

Electric cars have a single gear*. They can rev a lot higher than an ICE, but they have to make a tradeoff somewhere.

*Except the Taycan. That has two, IIRC.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

That’s just it though, the Teslas can do over 150 mph and their 0-60 is better. The Ford is making a trade off that the Tesla doesn’t have to, because Ford doesnt have the motor/battery chops that Tesla does.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That’s just it though, the Teslas can do over 150 mph and their 0-60 is better. The Ford is making a trade off that the Tesla doesn’t have to, because Ford doesnt have the motor/battery chops that Tesla does.

I'm not defending the Ford, I'm just clarifying. The Mach E is a sad disappointment.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Mach E is fine and good. It's not the best in 0-60 dick measuring but it's a great solid EV with a dealer network you can actually get it serviced at if need be. It also has actual buttons and switch gear instead of the coat cutting Tesla approach of EVERYTHING IN ONE SCREEN ITS THE FUTURE bullshit.

I test drove a Mach E AWD extended range and a GT recently and they are PLENTY fast in normal driving, they handle pretty nice too.

I will agree in the charging network game Tesla has a huge leg up on everyone.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The impression I get is that calling it a Mustang Mach-E instead of an E-scape or whatever was a bit of marketing stunt - clearly more people care because of the name, but it doesn’t quite live up to expectations. It also seems to have a lot of own-goal first-gen teething problems. The refresh will probably be pretty solid.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

david_a posted:

The impression I get is that calling it a Mustang Mach-E instead of an E-scape or whatever was a bit of marketing stunt - clearly more people care because of the name, but it doesn’t quite live up to expectations. It also seems to have a lot of own-goal first-gen teething problems. The refresh will probably be pretty solid.

Outside of the GT, which is it’s own can of worms, I’m not sure the teething issues are any worse than any new model, especially a first EV. The big recall is for the faulty contactors, which isn’t great, but at least it’s not a battery fire recall like the Bolt or Kona EV.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KillHour posted:

*Except the Taycan. That has two, IIRC.
And the Audi e-tron GT since it uses the same platform.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I really wanted to give a poo poo about the Mach E GT, but it just seems like every month now there is something better coming out.

Plus it doesnt help that it costs 60k+, doesnt have ventilated seats as an option, and the whole only 5 second boost mode/low trap speed thing.
I hoped that was a software thing they would tweak or correct, but it sounds like that either hasnt happened, or isnt happening.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

The other Mach-E models are perfectly fine and competitive, the GT is a mess and in no way worth the extra money.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The other Mach-E models are perfectly fine and competitive, the GT is a mess and in no way worth the extra money.

I can agree with that.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You can debate whether or not they should have called any of it a Mustang but what is not at all even debatable is whether they should have called it a Mustang GT Performance Edition. They should not have.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2019-chevrolet-camaro-ss-vs-2019-ford-mustang-gt-convertible-comparison-test/

In this test the Mustang and Camaro both ran identical 12.7 second 1/4s and differed by only 0.7 mph trap speeds.

The Mach-E GTPE is 0.6 seconds and 14 mph slower than its competition, the Model Y P.

Its not competitive. It's embarrassing.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Shortly after the release of the GT there was a dude that got rapidly banned from the main Mach-E forum for telling GT buyers that they were all suckers that fell for Ford marketing department prattle.

That dude was right.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Shortly after the release of the GT there was a dude that got rapidly banned from the main Mach-E forum for telling GT buyers that they were all suckers that fell for Ford marketing department prattle.

That dude was right.

Was it you?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
How does the 580 hp $51k F150 Lightning Pro compare to the Mach-E in bench racing?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If it has the towing package that adds a second a/c compressor then favorably probably

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

How does the 580 hp $51k F150 Lightning Pro compare to the Mach-E in bench racing?

C&D tested a Platinum trim which has the dual motor and extended battery and it trapped the exact same as the Mach E GT they tested. Slower to 60 but a few mph higher trap speed.

It also weighs almost 2000 pounds more.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

No I got banned much later

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ford is not having a great year, here's another recall. Throw this on top of the 100K they just recalled. Very distressing as the resident Ford homer, hope they get their poo poo figured out.

quote:

Description Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2022 Lincoln Aviator and Ford Explorer vehicles. The engine rails may have been improperly heat-treated. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard numbers 208, "Occupant Crash Protection" and 301, "Fuel System Integrity."
Consequences Improperly heat-treated engine rails may reduce the vehicle's structural protection in a crash, increasing the risk of injury. In addition, an engine rail may detach and contact the road while driving, increasing the risk of a crash.
Corrective action Dealers will perform an engine rail strength test and replace the rails as necessary, free of charge. If the engine rails require replacement, owners will have the option for a vehicle replacement or buyback. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed August 1, 2022. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford's number for this recall is 22C13.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the gently caress is an "engine rail"

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

The frame rail in the engine bay that the subframe attaches to, I believe.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/8864/22c13-inspect-engine-rail-assembly-2022-lincoln-aviator-ford-explorer

The good news is that only 77 of these defective rails are out there, the bad news is its unknown what vehicles they went onto.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BraveUlysses posted:

Front chassis rail I presume.....?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lol those cars are going to be crushed

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Force Out, Recall Destined

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Outside of the GT, which is it’s own can of worms, I’m not sure the teething issues are any worse than any new model, especially a first EV. The big recall is for the faulty contactors, which isn’t great, but at least it’s not a battery fire recall like the Bolt or Kona EV.

Not yet anyway. All these other quality problems don't inspire confidence in the long-term durability of the battery.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

PBCrunch posted:

Not yet anyway. All these other quality problems don't inspire confidence in the long-term durability of the battery.

You know Ford doesn’t make the batteries right?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You know Ford doesn’t make the batteries right?

True, but they do buy them and put them in Ford products.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

True, but they do buy them and put them in Ford products.

Yes, you’ve correctly identified the relationship between supplier and manufacturer.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ford doesn’t make the batteries but they do purchase them and insert them into their cooling system made of plastic drip irrigation lines suspended in a matrix of dead leaves.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Ford doesn’t make the batteries but they do purchase them and insert them into their cooling system made of plastic drip irrigation lines suspended in a matrix of dead leaves.

I'm sorry I'm only aware of battery braces being made with leaves in Tesla products

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

That was only for like three months those Teslas are now collectors items.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

That was only for like three months those Teslas are now collectors items.

I read that as a joke and then slowly realized it was true.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yes, you’ve correctly identified the relationship between supplier and manufacturer.

I guess I get a gold star!! I was trying to back up pb crunch's point about the perceived long term durability of the batteries.
My point was that if these batteries turn out to be lovely, regardless of whether they are made by Ford or an outside company it will look bad on Ford.

Same with say the 6 litre international

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Lol one of my sister's worked at the Giga Factory in Reno on the battery line and they used popsicle sticks as spacers between the cells or whatever for like a full week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So this problem is with Ford Explorer? But isn't the Maverick on the same platform? Are they made in the same plant on the same line?