Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Trading out of the 1st round to get rid of Petr Mrazek and then acquiring two years of Matt Murray at $4.68 AAV a few days later

Kyle Dubas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

corn on the cop posted:

this time im sure the goaltender with a spotty track record of performance will be the answer for the leafs

Matt Murray('s glovehand) has been broken for 3 seasons now, everyone in the league knows where to shoot on him

Poor bastard is going to get eaten alive by the toronto media

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

25% retained?

Remind me why the gently caress Dubas still has a job?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Arivia posted:

Rem Pitlick is going UFA. What's the closest team (NHL/AHL) to Wisconsin again?

He already got traded from his Minnesota this year, and before that from the Nashville Admirals program.

Have fun in Chicago I guess?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Matt Murray('s glovehand) has been broken for 3 seasons now, everyone in the league knows where to shoot on him

Poor bastard is going to get eaten alive by the toronto media

He was so good during the two Cup runs, it all fell apart so fast

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

toronto struggling for a goalie while freddy andersen out here thrivin, lovin his life, livin it up, getting eliminated in 14 games instead of 7, suck it leaves

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

corn on the cop posted:

this time im sure the goaltender with a spotty track record of performance will be the answer for the leafs

https://i.imgur.com/u4O4qNt.mp4

I want Ottawa to sign Giroux, they could at least be a fun terrible team to watch this coming season.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Lmao that's so much for fuckin Matt Murray

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Lmao that's so much for fuckin Matt Murray

If it makes you feel better, the Leafs are getting the 3rd in 2023 and the 7th in 2024, not the Sens. Dubas never loses a trade!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Haha I meant the annual salary they still have to pay.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Also lmao Seattle's expansion draft looks even worse now

https://mobile.twitter.com/SeattleKraken/status/1546650016181170176

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Acquiring Matt Murray at nearly $5M AAV just smacks of desperation and overthinking from Dubas. It’s a bet that should cost him and the people around him their jobs if it doesn’t pay off, but you could say that about a bunch of his moves and he’s still here.

I don’t think the Leafs cap is as bad as some think, they’ve got a little over $6M to sign Sandin, Engvall, and a backup which should be perfectly doable. If they want to add anybody then they’ll need some roster surgery but Holl, Muzzin, and Kerfoot could all be replaced depending on who they’re targeting imo.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Eric the Mauve posted:

He was so good during the two Cup runs, it all fell apart so fast

Multiple serious concussions in a short period of time probably didn't help.

Kuemper probably would've been similar in cost.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Lol Leafs absolutely lmao Kraken

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1546667249448124416?s=20&t=WY0GKhh73zO-aSNQLaFV6Q

Uh ok I guess. Seems like a bit much and a bit too long.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
seems weird to not want to give malkin too much money or term and then turn around and do both of those things for rakell

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

What do you think I've spent all day today doing? working? gently caress no.. trying to mentally prepare myself for this train wreck of a trade.

I swear to god if the Stars give up one of their blue chip prospects for 37 year old Brent Burns on retained salary...

**so far the product of all my bargaining is "Peter DeBoer's teams are notorious for attacking through the points, Dallas doesn't really have anyone who does that too well atm without Klingberg but it is a noted strength of Brent Burns"

that is it.. this is going to be so bad lol

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 12, 2022

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I know Sprong and Donato are real hockey players, but I have my doubts about the rest. Then again, ~CAP SPACE~

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

If they're giving 5/5 to Rakell then Malkin is gooooooone but I'll be happy to be wrong.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hope they remember to save space for the 8x9 contract Guentzel's gonna need next summer

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

it’s 6 x $5M for Rakell

https://twitter.com/domluszczyszyn/status/1546673234116055041?s=21&t=FXyJlrHrV3xI3e2WRzhCsw

What is Pittsburgh doing?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Dirty Burger posted:

Trading out of the 1st round to get rid of Petr Mrazek and then acquiring two years of Matt Murray at $4.68 AAV a few days later

Kyle Dubas

I have no idea what Dubas is thinking

Surely he he could get Kuemper for around that amount

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I can understand Seattle dumping Donato and Sprong.. those are both defensive liabilities (but still valuable players overall because of their offensive contributions). Unfortunately Seattle has a bunch of those types already.. Eberle, Donskoi, McCann, this Mattie Beniers kid.. On the other hand their only forwards with a reputation for being strong in their own end are Yanni Gourde and Brandon Tanev.. Maybe Jaden Schwartz at a stretch. They need some more forwards who can face up to the other team's scorers and not get crushed.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hahahahahaha there’s the Hextall I remember

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Going long term to lower the AAV of all their players as much as possible, because they will be blowing it up and getting in the tank in two years and nothing beyond that matters.

That said Guentzel and Jarry both need new contracts next year and I dunno how they're going to have the cap space to retain both, even assuming Malkin is gone. They will both be extremely hot commodities on the market and will get megapaid.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That seems like a reasonable price for Rakell.

e: ^^^ yeah i don’t think term matters for the pens here. They have a couple years to try to make a run, then it’s over anyway.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Hilarious that they're signing a winger to play with Malki....oh whoops nevermind.

I was pretty high on RR but wow that's a contract.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Starsfan posted:

I can understand Seattle dumping Donato and Sprong.. those are both defensive liabilities (but still valuable players overall because of their offensive contributions). Unfortunately Seattle has a bunch of those types already.. Eberle, Donskoi, McCann, this Mattie Beniers kid.. On the other hand their only forwards with a reputation for being strong in their own end are Yanni Gourde and Brandon Tanev.. Maybe Jaden Schwartz at a stretch. They need some more forwards who can face up to the other team's scorers and not get crushed.

Yes but then it's not like they didn't know this before last season!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The writing was on the wall for Malkin's departure the day they signed Jeff Carter to a 2 year extension. Given the team's other activity it's painfully clear that he doesn't really want to return and the team doesn't really want him back.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Starsfan posted:

What do you think I've spent all day today doing? working? gently caress no.. trying to mentally prepare myself for this train wreck of a trade.

I swear to god if the Stars give up one of their blue chip prospects for 37 year old Brent Burns on retained salary...

**so far the product of all my bargaining is "Peter DeBoer's teams are notorious for attacking through the points, Dallas doesn't really have anyone who does that too well atm without Klingberg but it is a noted strength of Brent Burns"

that is it.. this is going to be so bad lol

I am fully ready to embrace our new caveDman with open arms and love him. The smart part of my brain is screaming in agony but you gotta love the team, right!...?

Also the Pens letting Malkin gently caress off so they can sign... doesn't matter who, it's hilarious and awful regardless!

Anyone know where Klingberg headed? He's gonna rule when he's on a good team again.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

Anyone know where Klingberg headed? He's gonna rule when he's on a good team again.

It's 100% Carolina if he's willing to put aside his salary demands for the best opportunity at winning a cup.. the guy would be such a natural fit next to Slavin on that top pairing.. It's almost a perfect fit stylistically and matching up his strengths with what Carolina needs.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

All of these players aged really well at least

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

The Dirty Burger posted:

All of these players aged really well at least

Literally had no idea until now that there was a Pouliot other than the lovely one that played for Vancouver.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

fisting by many posted:

Literally had no idea until now that there was a Pouliot other than the lovely one that played for Vancouver.

Benoit was actually OK.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Trying to replace Malkin by committee. Rakell is a player that the organization has been after for a while too. He just turned 29 and got hot brained, but he put up 13 in 19 with 8%. I know finishing is a concern with him and Think tank chart of age is very relevant.

He's a lot more of a top 6 winger than everyone else left on the roster as well.

Edit: If I had to guess Hextall and the org have a list of contracts and $$$ amounts that they are working through. Rust done. Letang was next and a bigger priority than Malkin. Got done. Went to Malkin with the $ and term they were comfortable with to keep the team competitive. Geno passed. Next on the list was Rakell because yeah they need a top 6 winger either way.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 12, 2022

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eh who cares if he ages poorly in the last few. They'll be bad then

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Benoit was actually OK.

Benoit Pouliot is best known as the man who (along with Mark Fayne) killed the analytics movement in Edmonton's front office in it's youth.. a reversal that the Oilers are only starting to recover from today.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Eh who cares if he ages poorly in the last few. They'll be bad then

I guess I just don’t see Rakell being very good is all.

He did ok in Pittsburgh last year but his last few years in Anaheim were kinda cruddy. Seems like they could have gotten someone better for a similar AAV but maybe I’m wrong.

For what it’s worth I think the Letang contract is great for Pittsburgh for the reason you stated.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rakell fits with Sid (and Sullivan's system) so it makes sense paying a little premium on a known quantity vs gambling and getting stuck with another Kapanen

Granted that's another "compete now" signing that makes no sense to me unless Hextall has himself zeroed in on a fresh 2C already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

I guess I just don’t see Rakell being very good is all.

He did ok in Pittsburgh last year but his last few years in Anaheim were kinda cruddy. Seems like they could have gotten someone better for a similar AAV but maybe I’m wrong.

For what it’s worth I think the Letang contract is great for Pittsburgh for the reason you stated.

Yeah I'm not sure it's the best use of that cap space but he at least has some offensive ability which is more than they can usually say for the wingers they've put on line two.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Rakell fits with Sid (and Sullivan's system) so it makes sense paying a little premium on a known quantity vs gambling and getting stuck with another Kapanen

Granted that's another "compete now" signing that makes no sense to me unless Hextall has himself zeroed in on a fresh 2C already

He's not gonna play with Sid though unless Guentzel or Rust get hurt.