Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MK11 bothers me much less than whatever this game is trying to do.

Seconding that Turok 2 has the best gore. Nothing has topped it since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Convex posted:

Whats the deal with this game? Is it ‘real gore’ inspired like Brutal Doom?

Also the best blood splatter effect was the cerebral bore in Turok 2, everything since has been a downgrade

Headshots in Gears of War are really, really loving satisfying.

drawbot
Oct 18, 2005

waaaugh
Mortal Kombat's approach to gore is the equivalent of a photorealistic picture of Homer Simpson - there's comic intent but it comes off as disturbing because it's unnecessarily accurate for the reasons Shoehead mentioned. Doom 2016 and Eternal are absolutely drenched in gore but sprint right towards the Army of Darkness level of slapstic, abstract hyperviolence - if it lingers it's for a moment and is incidental to the rest of the action. MK fatalities want you to watch them happen; that's literally the point of them and they don't pretend it isn't. From what I played of Citadel it was leaning very heavily in that latter direction and the hilarious attempts at pretending it was, like, an accident just make it feel even more uncomfortable than it already is. Real shame, because there should be more Marathon style shooters out there.

But this, however:

Shoehead posted:

RE: The Citadel, the creator got pretty upset when they were accused of being a guro artist and claimed they were just making.. uh anime gibs I guess. But also when your gibs are attached to weird anime body horror space Nuns I don't really think you're tip toeing along a line any more, you've like danger rolled over it. It defo makes me feel weirdly sad the way most guro does instead of like a lizard trooper's leg flying off in Duke 3D.

Edit: Though I'm not sure I'm fit to comment of gore because I too lovingly render ludicrous gibs

https://twitter.com/Shoehead_art/status/1528775192465625092?t=2kkEvyXts6tGTXNpPdFJog&s=19

this right here is good hyperviolence, like this is the cartoony, visceral feedback that rewards your reptilian brain

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Shoehead posted:

RE: The Citadel, the creator got pretty upset when they were accused of being a guro artist and claimed they were just making.. uh anime gibs I guess. But also when your gibs are attached to weird anime body horror space Nuns I don't really think you're tip toeing along a line any more, you've like danger rolled over it. It defo makes me feel weirdly sad the way most guro does instead of like a lizard trooper's leg flying off in Duke 3D.

Edit: Though I'm not sure I'm fit to comment of gore because I too lovingly render ludicrous gibs

https://twitter.com/Shoehead_art/status/1528775192465625092?t=2kkEvyXts6tGTXNpPdFJog&s=19

The difference on the ludicrous gibs there is that there isn't like, lovingly rendered and perfectly pristine and unmarred anime faces in pain and anguish and like half a boob so you can tell it's a girl splattered across the room.

drawbot
Oct 18, 2005

waaaugh
also that lmao

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i don't mind good gore. i play a lot of resident evil 2 remake randomizer so i see plenty of bits go boom and it looks great

but that? no way

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
On a personal level I have a mild aversion from agonizing my enemies: the idea of most of my murder games is to be quick and efficient. You do some brutal poo poo with glory kills in the new Doom games but're all animated in fast motion. In MKX/MKXI, there are X-ray moves and similar that emphasize internal damage, but they're not dead. Like where you snap someone's spine in half and yet they're still doing spinning back-kicks at you? Or my "favorite" is a Sub-zero move, which I'll just copy from the wiki. Content warning: gross:

quote:

X-Ray - Deep Freeze: Sub-Zero sucker punches the opponent before plunging his hand into their stomach, grabbing and ripping out their entrails. He freezes them into an icicle, which he violently rams into the opponent's eye socket. (MKX)

This is somehow not a fatality, and I'm just supposed to watch someone walk around and do poo poo after being put through that. :dogstare:

I play a lot of shooters but most people just go down either with big bloody decals, or the Red Dead Redemption route of heads being blown off. Getting detailed eye-sockets and organs and disembodied faces of very humanoid people just adds discomfort and nothing redeeming. Brutal Doom (for all its gore) didn't even bug me because it was all lumps of hell-meat sculpted specifically to attack you. Making the subject of your violence less relatable helps tilt the activity towards 'fun', despite the actual carnage you're inflicting.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

MK does have these weird x-ray moves that are definitely extremely lethal or at least debilitating but you just like, take some damage. Stuff like having your spine shattered in like 3 places or having all your ribs turned to dust but that I'm fine with. Those are kinda cool if a bit silly.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

drawbot posted:

Doom 2016 and Eternal are absolutely drenched in gore but sprint right towards the Army of Darkness level of slapstic, abstract hyperviolence
This is actually acknowledged and intended by the developers. Hugo Martin talked about how the gore should feel violent but not clinical or too tortured. If anyone remembers this interview I'd like to watch it again, he made some good points.

I think it illustrates "getting it" meaningfully, though Eternal does cross over the line at a few points.

drawbot
Oct 18, 2005

waaaugh

Spiderdrake posted:

This is actually acknowledged and intended by the developers. Hugo Martin talked about how the gore should feel violent but not clinical or too tortured. If anyone remembers this interview I'd like to watch it again, he made some good points.

I think it illustrates "getting it" meaningfully, though Eternal does cross over the line at a few points.

“Family friendly,” I think he called it, lol - and he’s mostly right, they did a great job finding that line. It’s a fantastic interview; I think it was noclip?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LVLecokaRv4

edit:

Morter posted:

On a personal level I have a mild aversion from agonizing my enemies: the idea of most of my murder games is to be quick and efficient.

This, 100%. The line for me is when the reward isn’t a quick pop and the sound of a cash register or something, but an extended “this really hurt them and the entire time they were dying they were thinking about how much it sucked.” I’m not here to revel in cruelty my guy, just let me reverse bunnyhop through a horde of monsters and turn things into a Jackson Pollock painting.

drawbot fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 11, 2022

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Morter posted:

On a personal level I have a mild aversion from agonizing my enemies: the idea of most of my murder games is to be quick and efficient. You do some brutal poo poo with glory kills in the new Doom games but're all animated in fast motion. In MKX/MKXI, there are X-ray moves and similar that emphasize internal damage, but they're not dead. Like where you snap someone's spine in half and yet they're still doing spinning back-kicks at you? Or my "favorite" is a Sub-zero move, which I'll just copy from the wiki. Content warning: gross:

This is somehow not a fatality, and I'm just supposed to watch someone walk around and do poo poo after being put through that. :dogstare:

I play a lot of shooters but most people just go down either with big bloody decals, or the Red Dead Redemption route of heads being blown off. Getting detailed eye-sockets and organs and disembodied faces of very humanoid people just adds discomfort and nothing redeeming. Brutal Doom (for all its gore) didn't even bug me because it was all lumps of hell-meat sculpted specifically to attack you. Making the subject of your violence less relatable helps tilt the activity towards 'fun', despite the actual carnage you're inflicting.

I will say that X-ray cams in the Sniper Elite games are great because shooting Nazis (or Nazi Zombies) in the nuts or eyeball or kidney is cool and good.
Hell, shooting Nazis period is cool and good. The gore in the latest Wolfenstein games is satisfying and makes me feel good about my video game choices.

I will never, ever get tired of shooting Nazis.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Morter posted:

Those MK X-ray moves are too gross for me, those aren't round enders?

I agree with whoever said that Gears of War headshots are perfect, the bolt-action sniper rifle in that game is one of the most satisfying in any game.

I don't know anyone who is actually craving specific realism in gore, but I love slapstick over the top stuff like quake through UT2004 with red gibs flying everywhere.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Xenomrph posted:

I will say that X-ray cams in the Sniper Elite games are great because shooting Nazis (or Nazi Zombies) in the nuts or eyeball or kidney is cool and good.
Hell, shooting Nazis period is cool and good. The gore in the latest Wolfenstein games is satisfying and makes me feel good about my video game choices.

I will never, ever get tired of shooting Nazis.

i was gonna make this exact post lol yes agreed

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

site posted:

i was gonna make this exact post lol yes agreed

Speaking of shooting Nazis, if you want some entertaining Wolfenstein style Nazi-killing FPS action, Ubersoldier II is on sale for $1 right now.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/281410/Ubersoldier_II/

It’s like a proto-Wolfenstein 2009, the two games share a lot of gameplay elements (super-Nazis, you get crazy super powers), it’s got a pretty healthy dose of jank, and some of THE WORST (and funniest) voice acting. For a buck it’s very worth playing.

https://youtu.be/VBT4KtzoqqU

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 11, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of shooting Nazis, if you want some entertaining Wolfenstein style Nazi-killing FPS action, Ubersoldier II is on sale for $1 right now.

It’s like a proto-Wolfenstein 2009, the two games share a lot of gameplay elements (super-Nazis, you get crazy super powers), it’s got a pretty healthy dose of jank, and some of THE WORST (and funniest) voice acting. For a buck it’s very worth playing.

Never heard of this but it looks sick

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m a huge Weird War II nerd (and I love murdering Nazis) so I know about a bunch of wacky obscure poo poo like that.

Speaking of jank, I’ve got a FPS game called Mortyr, the premise is that it’s like 2093 in a world where the Nazis won the war, and somehow the world is all hosed up because of all the crazy Nazi super-science from the past 150 years since they won. So the Nazi high command says “we are the problem” and sends the player (a Nazi operative) back in time to 1943 to stop the Nazis from winning the war.

Problem is, the game developers were so busy high-fiving each other over their crazy premise that they forgot to make a good game. It is…. not good.
Sequel is alright (and has nothing in common with it other than “shoot super science Nazis”) though.

Another one is Turning Point: Fall of Liberty.

Turning Point is an interesting oddity because the developers did a TON of research on cutting-edge Nazi poo poo that was on the drawing board or on the verge of getting rolled out (right down to Nazi uniform and camouflage redesigns that were historically in the works) and incorporated them into the game, because it’s set in like 1947 where the US never entered WWII so the Nazis basically steamrolled Europe, and then the Nazis do a huge aerial invasion of the Eastern seaboard.

Like it’s really ambitious and they mapped out the whole alternate history chain of events leading up to the game’s timeline.

Problem is they spent so much time doing all this planning and research that they forgot to make a good game. It’s super janky, and not in an entertaining or fun way like Ubersoldier. It’s kind of a chore to play.

I will say that it’s got some neat set pieces early in the game. The game opens with you as a construction worker up on the I-beam framework of a high rise under construction and then this huge Nazi aerial fleet comes rolling in as air raid sirens are sounding off and Nazi jets are buzzing the skyscrapers while huge zeppelins fly in overhead and paratroopers start dropping in everywhere. And then these smaller zeppelins with big loudspeakers start rolling in and they’re weaving between buildings broadcasting propaganda like “YOUR PRESIDENT IS DEAD, YOUR GOVERNMENT HAS ABANDONED YOU, PUT DOWN YOUR WEAPONS AND YOU WILL NOT BE HARMED”. And they blare out this really distinctive and ominous horn sound, it’s hard to describe but it really gets your attention.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=goeq0j2xatY&feature=youtu.be

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Xenomrph posted:

I’ve got a FPS game called Mortyr,

Yes hello :downs:

For content: the little mentions of other FPS games in Nightmare Reaper makes me smile

Would you like to sign my petition?

Morter fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 11, 2022

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

I agree with whoever said that Gears of War headshots are perfect, the bolt-action sniper rifle in that game is one of the most satisfying in any game.

I don't know anyone who is actually craving specific realism in gore, but I love slapstick over the top stuff like quake through UT2004 with red gibs flying everywhere.

Slapstick gore best gore.

And this conversation reminds me that I got Gears of War 5 in a bundle a while ago along with a bunch of other games I actually wanted. Maybe I should give it a shot? I've never played any of the Gears games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Twerk from Home posted:

Not necessarily! They do like..30% damage in MK9 I think?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ToxicFrog posted:

And this conversation reminds me that I got Gears of War 5 in a bundle a while ago along with a bunch of other games I actually wanted. Maybe I should give it a shot? I've never played any of the Gears games.
I'm not sure how much sense the plot will make if you jump right into 5 without having played any of the others, but it might be worth a go. If you have GamePass then the Gears 1 remastered edition is part of it. In fact, I think all the Gears games are part of it, since they're first-party titles.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ToxicFrog posted:

You should play the remastered version of Gears 1 first imo. I think it still has the best campaign out of them all.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

drawbot posted:

This, 100%. The line for me is when the reward isn’t a quick pop and the sound of a cash register or something, but an extended “this really hurt them and the entire time they were dying they were thinking about how much it sucked.” I’m not here to revel in cruelty my guy, just let me reverse bunnyhop through a horde of monsters and turn things into a Jackson Pollock painting.

This is what threw me about the gunplay in Mafia 3 or the Mafia 1 remake. Both are visceral as hell, and feature enemies writhing on the ground, bleeding out, and occasionally taking a shot at you as they shuffle off this earth. You're not blowing a dude's leg clean off like Soldier of Fortune, but this is somehow worse.

Its a small thing but it adds so, so much. To this day it still squicks me out.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Adaca is this interesting cocktail of Half-Life 2, Halo, and Stalker, with some genuinely cool worldbuilding and lore that makes me think of Marathon quite a bit. The weapon sandbox is really satisfying, and there was a recent update that bumped the weapon inventory up to three...

This looks really cool! Graphics remind me a bit of Timesplitters 2 / Second sight, which I like a lot.

The 7th Guest posted:

Wild West & Wizards (another one-person game I recommend)

This also looks amazing, I need to get a new computer!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

I'm not sure how much sense the plot will make if you jump right into 5 without having played any of the others, but it might be worth a go. If you have GamePass then the Gears 1 remastered edition is part of it. In fact, I think all the Gears games are part of it, since they're first-party titles.

I mean, Gears of War 1 was a console-exclusive, aggressively grey-brown cover shooter with a slow-moving protagonist wider than he is tall, marking it as exceptionally uninteresting to me, and while I realize it's gotten a PC port since it's probably still not my jam. I wouldn't have gotten Gears 5 if it hadn't been in a bundle with Cloudpunk, Severed Steel, and Bloodstained. (Severed Steel owns, btw.) But since I have it anyways, I've been wondering if it's worth a shot.

Meanwhile, I decided to give Amid Evil another shot. The overall vibe is very "early Unreal Engine game" and I'm enjoying it overall but goddamn the gunfeel is just...completely mediocre. Even the Celestial Claw! A weapon that lets me shoot planets at my enemies deserves more than just a quiet "whoosh" and no visible animation.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

ToxicFrog posted:

Gears 5 is ok. It looks good and handles fine, and it gets a little bit of mileage out of the setting. The combat is Gearsy, it’s a third person cover shooter, you either like it or you don’t. It’s weirdly paced though, you’ve got two huge semi-open-world segments separated by shorter levels and then ends really quickly when it seems like it’s building to something.

The plot will probably seem like nonsense if you haven’t played at least Gears 1, but it’s kind of nonsense anyway. Vibes based storytelling

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Prophet of Nixon posted:

This also looks amazing, I need to get a new computer!
yea unfortunately it's not super well optimized, but I liked WW&W enough. it has a bit of an issue where there's very little enemy variety despite having a large open world, and its lo-fi nature makes quests not feel particularly special. but it's still decently fun and a chill game to play while listening to podcasts

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

ToxicFrog posted:

I mean, Gears of War 1 was a console-exclusive, aggressively grey-brown cover shooter with a slow-moving protagonist wider than he is tall, marking it as exceptionally uninteresting to me, and while I realize it's gotten a PC port since it's probably still not my jam. I wouldn't have gotten Gears 5 if it hadn't been in a bundle with Cloudpunk, Severed Steel, and Bloodstained. (Severed Steel owns, btw.) But since I have it anyways, I've been wondering if it's worth a shot.

Meanwhile, I decided to give Amid Evil another shot. The overall vibe is very "early Unreal Engine game" and I'm enjoying it overall but goddamn the gunfeel is just...completely mediocre. Even the Celestial Claw! A weapon that lets me shoot planets at my enemies deserves more than just a quiet "whoosh" and no visible animation.

I really liked amid evil but I agree the weapons (excepting the sword and the flak cannon morningstar) are all pretty bland feeling despite the aesthetic

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The lightning gun was cool as gently caress too what the heck

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Most of the weapons in Amid Evil have no significant animations, your guy doesn’t actually do anything much with them, a projectile just pops out and there’s a bit of visual recoil. It doesn’t ruin the game or anything, but it’s not impressive. The axe, sword and mace all have good animations, idk why they didn’t go for any motion on the rest of them (apart from the BFG because look at it, what would it even do.)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I think some weapons in AE are a poor match for the enemies, too. Most enemies you care about are either quick and nimble or else put enough heat on you that you can't afford to hold steady, so the gun that wants you to keep a constant bead on an enemy just ain't that great.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 12, 2022

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Xenomrph posted:

I was never able to get past the opening bit with you shooting from the jeep. I have no idea why, but that entire segment was so brutal, one of the worst intros to a game I think I've ever played. Which is a shame, it sounds like it'd be up my alley if I could get past that hump.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

catlord posted:

I was never able to get past the opening bit with you shooting from the jeep. I have no idea why, but that entire segment was so brutal, one of the worst intros to a game I think I've ever played. Which is a shame, it sounds like it'd be up my alley if I could get past that hump.

Keep trying, the game has some wild setpieces. Makes me want to replay it, actually.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
well this is some straight up sorcery;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrpkFuKh4CI

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Shoehead posted:

I hate to mention this after the discussion on it tapered off but I really feel the need to emphasize that the dev absolutely did have a twitter on which they drew guro porn. I don't know if that means the game is another place they put their fetish on purpose or if they're so deep in the poo poo that their 'interests' wound up visible in it accidentally and they didn't realize how obvious it was

but either way it really eliminates any shadow of a doubt about why the game looks how it does

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

drrockso20 posted:

well this is some straight up sorcery;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrpkFuKh4CI

Sorcery? It's the Xbox Series, which has both the app store and public developer mode, running Dosbox which can install windows 98, given the OS is still itself DOS. Not that hard to follow, at least to me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the Xbox series is so win. I would be heartbroken if I hitched my horse to the failstation 5. I would die of shame

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the Xbox series is so win. I would be heartbroken if I hitched my horse to the failstation 5. I would die of shame
You'd have to find it first, and, well,

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its funny because the Xbox One could do all this emulation, just nobody owned one so nobody cared. Its decade old functionality, although, admittedly the upgrades to the Sex versus the Bone in hardware also make it super appealing because it does better PS2 emulation than the goddamn PS5

The Kins posted:

You'd have to find it first, and, well,

I would say come to Japan and buy one, but, well, its hard to get one even here.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mr. Sharps posted:

I really liked amid evil but I agree the weapons (excepting the sword and the flak cannon morningstar) are all pretty bland feeling despite the aesthetic

The flakstar owns, and I end up using it a lot even in situations where it's suboptimal because it actually feels satisfying to use. The sword is "ok, I guess" which still puts it in the top half for this game.

I would actually rank the lightning trident above the sword because it has noticeable sound effects and the overkill effect is pretty sick, even if the weapon animation itself is "wobbles back and forth a bit" and mechanically it's hard to use well -- tagging an enemy with it paralyzes them, so by the time you actually get them into overkill their friends have all run out of the blast radius and are kicking your face in.

skasion posted:

Most of the weapons in Amid Evil have no significant animations, your guy doesn’t actually do anything much with them, a projectile just pops out and there’s a bit of visual recoil. It doesn’t ruin the game or anything, but it’s not impressive. The axe, sword and mace all have good animations, idk why they didn’t go for any motion on the rest of them (apart from the BFG because look at it, what would it even do.)

The BFG is a writhing mass of tentacles, you could have it make all sorts of interesting shapes when it fires (and add some kind of sound effect, too). As it is, the "animation" looks like a rendering glitch (and not even an interesting one) and I always end up clicking multiple times because I think it hasn't actually fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/howieeday/status/1546782340927463424

Half-Life, Rise of the Triad, & Shadow Warrior are the immediate games that come to mind that use this.