Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

External Organs posted:

Daughter status: she will sleep through the night without peeing in her diaper, ask to sit on the potty in the morning and watch Peppa Pig, and then get off twenty minutes later insisting on a new diaper which she will promptly fill with pee. C'mon man!

Same thing was happening to us, so we made the drastic decision to remove all diapers from the house. She quickly started peeing in the potty. Now if we can get her to poop in there that will be a win.

Though she did say she will poop in the potty for mommies' birthday present. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

remigious posted:

My 18 month old is speech delayed :( he blew through every other milestone so fast, but the only words he says are doggie and just very recently bye. It’s just frustrating because the two doctors I’ve been to have given me advice and I already do those things! He’s just not interested in talking.

My son was massively speech delayed. Almost entirely nonverbal until five-ish, and then only echolalia for a good while after that. He started speech therapy at three years old, and continued into high school (because turns out he has a speech impediment as well). Now he talks basically nonstop.

There was a good while it seemed like absolutely no improvement was being made, but then it all just suddenly started clicking and he improved in leaps and bounds. They did eventually decide not to continue, since while he has some lingering speech impediment issues, he's understandable (I have the same impediment, and it's never caused any major issues in my life) and can navigate most situations verbally. Granted, he is pretty much solely interested in talking only about Pokemon and Sonic the Hedgehog, but....reasonably sure that's more a teenager thing, rather than a speech thing.

So, not saying to not be concerned, but that showing no noticeable improvement at first isn't always a bad sign.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

remigious posted:

My 18 month old is speech delayed :( he blew through every other milestone so fast, but the only words he says are doggie and just very recently bye. It’s just frustrating because the two doctors I’ve been to have given me advice and I already do those things! He’s just not interested in talking.
It's important to do the things you're told to do, including an early intervention screening and therapy if recommended. But beyond that I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Only at 20 months did my daughter start to say vaguely-intelligible words. I could tell she understood what I was saying though at 18 months as I could ask her to point to stuff and she would point correctly, or go fetch things. She had also been doing a bit of baby signing for a while.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
FWIW our pediatrician said it’s pretty normal for the speech explosion (i.e. more than five words) to be anywhere from 12-24 months. When we were getting worried at his 15 month check up he said we could try speech therapy since there’s no real downside but we waited and ended up getting the speech explosion (i.e. more than 3 words) around 16-17 months.

Now he’s developed a thing since around 27 months where he stutters sometimes for like 10-15 seconds, even on words/sentences he knows well. Apparently it’s not necessarily a sign of permanent stutter at this age and it does seem to be getting better a couple months in, but sometimes he’ll give up on a word he’s stuck on and just say, “I can’t say that. Daddy can you say it?” and it breaks my little heart.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Our twins didn’t really start talking a lot until 24 months or so. They would babble and say mama and dada and maybe a couple of words but after 2 years they started saying a lot of words and then started stringing words together. They’re still behind most ~2.5 year olds but the improvement has been rapid. I think getting them in daycare has helped too. Much more interaction than I could provide as a stay at home dad and a lot of the more talkative 2 classmates have probably helped as well.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I appreciate you all sharing your experiences, this thread has been such a huge help to me since the little guy was just a grub. It sounds like I don’t need to panic yet and just keep working daily to encourage my dude’s speech.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

remigious posted:

I appreciate you all sharing your experiences, this thread has been such a huge help to me since the little guy was just a grub. It sounds like I don’t need to panic yet and just keep working daily to encourage my dude’s speech.

The answer as always is more moomins.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Our 2 year old (2 years 1.5 months) didn't say a word until she was 17 months, and then she'd say one word at a time, and not repeat it, maybe one word every two days or so, and she only knew about 5 words total. After she was two, she said 2 words in a row for the first time. Now she talks every day, regularly, sometimes strings a few words together. Hard to understand her, but, progress. She's in daycare, and I heard that due to covid or something (we certainly never have friends over and we used to, a lot) many babies have a bit of a delay these days.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Our speech explosion was at about 28 months. I filled out a preschool application form in April saying that she understood a lot but rarely spoke, and by the time school started in July she was nearly using full sentences.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

wizzardstaff posted:

Our speech explosion was at about 28 months. I filled out a preschool application form in April saying that she understood a lot but rarely spoke, and by the time school started in July she was nearly using full sentences.

I swear the best way to get a kid to start doing a thing is write a note to someone else saying they don't do a thing.

Our language explosion happened the week after we messaged our pediatrician with our concerns about him only having three words (two of which weren't actually real words).

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
My niece was pushing 30 months before she had her speech explosion, and now she doesn't stop for nothing as she closes in on 4. Sometimes it's just a little behind.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Ours was pretty quiet up until like 15 months. Just had what could be considered her first actual sentence when she said ‘more cheese please’. She’s also experimenting with how loud her voice can get, so just random very loud shout-babbling.

The cheese thing leads me into the real concern. Our daycare woman said for the second time, she has caught our daughter eating her poop during/after nap time. Super gross. We have never seen anything remotely close to this. Aside from daycare, which she usually seems to enjoy and is engaged and everything, the only thing I can really point to as an easy explanation is her lack of binky, which she uses to sleep at home. We also notice when she wakes right away, and maybe she is just letting her stew too long bored in her crib. Anyways, it’s hard to shake the image of my little cutie chowing down on her poop.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Some kids are just weird with talking, too. Once he got past baby babbling, my youngest brother basically straight up refused to talk directly to anyone until he could speak in full sentences. The only reason my mom knew he was talking at all is because she would overhear him, and then he'd clam right up when anyone came in the room with him.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Good thing: the boy can get up from bed, take himself to the potty, and go back to bed.

Bad thing: he pees more or less in the general vicinity of the toilet rather than into it.

I'm going to count my blessings that he's doing any of this at all.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Chernobyl Princess posted:

Good thing: the boy can get up from bed, take himself to the potty, and go back to bed.

Bad thing: he pees more or less in the general vicinity of the toilet rather than into it.

I'm going to count my blessings that he's doing any of this at all.

They make stickers that can go on the inside of the toilet, to give them something to aim for. They seem to work well for many people.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I've also used stale cheerios / fruit loops.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

My toddler talks to himself a little as he drifts off to sleep and it can be kind of hilarious: “sister… pee… …poo… duck

Savings Clown
May 7, 2007

We all float down here
I'm glad all this speech delay talk (ha) has come up, I have a 21 month old who's saying next to nothing. He can repeat things like mama or updown if you say them to him, but I don't think I've ever seen him spontaneously say a word to correctly identify a thing. Most of the time if I say something to him he just turns to me and says "no". I wonder what the delay stats are like for lockdown babies.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ours was mostly hi, bye, up, guru (our cat) and then milky until pretty recently when we started daycare full time in February and then about three months later finally happened

Based on what I've read on the internet, as reliable as it is, earliest is around 18-19 months but 20-36 is most common

Ours only says no to all questions except "cookie" in which case it's "no.... yes"

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
How are all of you getting your kids to go pee in the potty before poop? It's really easy for us to tell when our son has to poop, he starts leaning over and bracing himself on whatever's around and sticking his butt out and we scoop him up and quickly deposit him on the potty despite his protests and he's pooped in the potty now a good number of times. But I have NO idea how to start training him to pee in there, there are no pee signals that I can tell.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Spend a weekend really focusing on it. Take the diaper off, and throw the kiddo on the potty every 30-60 minutes. Let accidents happen, they'll get the idea real quick after they wet themselves a few times since it's a pretty unpleasant experience. Sprinkle in some positive reinforcement too, a sticker chart or something where they get a toy for every 3 times they use the potty. And of course, get the coolest in underwear money can buy. Getting to put spiderman on your junk is a reward I am extremely jealous of.

I'm summarizing an entire book here but that's the gist of it. What I'm gonna add that's not part of the book is, don't force it. If your kids not ready then there's no sense in fighting it. A kid who's ready to potty train will essentially potty train themselves.

We actually have the opposite problem. Ours pees like a champ, but he's been withholding poop for over a year now.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Oh yeah, tonsil surgery update day 6.

The hardest part is the boredom. No sports, no hard activities, no going out. Kiddo is bored as hell and as a result he's driving us up the loving walls. We're starting to ween off the Tylenol and do only Motrin but he's still in enough pain that he needs 24 hours of pain meds.

He also keeps asking for tortilla chips, french fries, and popcorn. Three foods that you should absolutely not be eating right now, of course.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

boquiabierta posted:

How are all of you getting your kids to go pee in the potty before poop? It's really easy for us to tell when our son has to poop, he starts leaning over and bracing himself on whatever's around and sticking his butt out and we scoop him up and quickly deposit him on the potty despite his protests and he's pooped in the potty now a good number of times. But I have NO idea how to start training him to pee in there, there are no pee signals that I can tell.

Our son never had any nonverbal signals before a poop or pee that we could see and we still managed to do it. We told him clearly that he’s a big kid and there will be no more diapers except when he’s sleeping, all pee and poop will go in the potty. Then we just prompted him like crazy, every 20 minutes at first. We slowly eased off as he got better (and also annoyed at us) which occasionally resulted in accidents. Week 2 at daycare he had a huge regression and started making GBS threads his pants daily. Was close to giving up but stuck with it a few more days and he turned it around. I think he just needed time and practice. It’s been six weeks and now he just tells us when he has to go.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We're watching my niece-in-law who's four. I'm having a blast and excited, but also, even more terrified. This every day forever and there will be two. And I have to be dad instead of cool uncle?

Watched Frozen, Frozen 2, and now, Frozen again while playing with legos. Had to supervise taking a poo poo. Why is this so endearing?

Thank god I like cheesy disney songs.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah it's a lot and they want 110% of your attention 24/7

It's really important to set boundaries and take time off. About once a quarter my wife goes to visit her family/friends back west. I'm about to gently caress off to South America with my best friend for 12 days later this week

"It takes a village to raise a child" is mostly referring to all the friends and family you're gonna beg you babysit for you

It'll be fine though, it's great, but I hope you didn't have any time consuming hobbies besides drinking beer with mindless television on in the background

As much as I like my hobbies, would not trade my child for them

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
drat my kid sucked rear end today, hope you all are fairing better.

The 2 year old toddler "constant whining for things which are no longer wanted once they are presented and now get me all these other things instead" can gently caress right off.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
2 year olds can gently caress right off in general. I especially enjoy when my kid, who is perfectly capable of speaking full sentences and communicating her needs, decides to just make awful whining noises scientifically designed to trigger me when she wants something but is in a bad mood. Then gets more pissed off when we can't figure out what the hell is bothering her.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

nachos posted:

2 year olds can gently caress right off in general. I especially enjoy when my kid, who is perfectly capable of speaking full sentences and communicating her needs, decides to just make awful whining noises scientifically designed to trigger me when she wants something but is in a bad mood. Then gets more pissed off when we can't figure out what the hell is bothering her.

Good news! Our 6yo still does that.

Wait that's not good at all.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

We were able to get the baby her first COVID vaccine shot today! Really hoping she doesn't have any difficulty or feel sick tomorrow. I did not have any issues when I was vaccinated at all (while I was pregnant) so I'm hoping, fingers crossed, she is the same.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

citybeatnik posted:

Good news! Our 6yo still does that.

Wait that's not good at all.

Better news! So does my 8 year old!!! :cry:

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Both kids slept in their room all night long for the first time EVER last night. I woke up a few times to some fussing over the baby camera, but they both put themselves back to sleep.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
hosed up my shoulder picking up my chunky toddler and now he's real confused as to why I can't put him in the swing at the park :sigh:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
It's my babys first birthday! Wow, time does fly when you're having fun sleepless nights as baby plays until 4am fun

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Bittersweet about getting my 19 month old kid into daycare starting next month. We found a place less than a mile from our new house that has great reviews. They initially told us we were at the back of the waitlist and couldn’t promise a spot at all, and we MIGHT get lucky and get one January ‘23.

It’s a religious temple of a religion we don’t belong to, but the school is secular.

We toured the little classroom, and playground, and the vegetable garden the kids plant and weed.

Today we have to tell our nanny. She’s been watching him full time since he was 4 months old. She’s a really nice woman and absolutely adores our son, and he likes her. We will still absolutely hire her for date nights or school closure or whatever but she will have to find a new full time job. I really hate the idea of costing someone their job, even if our reason (socializing our kid) is noble. We will pay her full time rates for part time care when he starts daycare and also send her off with a bonus but it still feels lovely.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I’m very grateful that my mom can help watch my 3yo if she has a sick day, but dear lord she gets played like a fiddle when nap time comes around.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Tom Smykowski posted:

hosed up my shoulder picking up my chunky toddler and now he's real confused as to why I can't put him in the swing at the park :sigh:

I really tweaked my back a few weeks back, the kind where it spasms and seizes, probably because I’m tall and there is no good way pull 25lbs out of a crib. I was legit unable to have any weight over a sandwich in either hand for a few days.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The ogre toddler gave zero fucks about the COVID jab he got yesterday. No fuss, no annoyance. Got a little loopy before bed but slept just fine all night.

This morning? SUPER MEGA FUSSY BABY with patented CRASH ON THE FLOOR FOR A MINUTE TO RECHARGE BEFORE JUMPING BACK UP action.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Currently watching my technically covid positive daughter play happily with her toys. Best part is she tested positive after her symptoms subsided enough for us to send her in to daycare today.

I’m not even really convinced the daycare didn’t mix up her test with another kids. She was negative when we tested her this morning and she is FINE.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Well after getting the vaccine on Wednesday afternoon, the baby was fine, slept fine, woke up fine and energetic, went to her gym class and had fun, then passed out for her nap yesterday and woke up with 102 fever. I've been giving Tylenol but we went to the urgent care last night because it spiked to 104 and then back down to 101-102 where it's mostly been since. Today it's just been hovering between 100-102. Dr told me this is pretty normal. The baby seems mostly normal if just a little tiny bit crabbier then usual, but it's kind of scary since this is the first time she's really had a fever and it just seems to keep going. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

hallo spacedog posted:

Well after getting the vaccine on Wednesday afternoon, the baby was fine, slept fine, woke up fine and energetic, went to her gym class and had fun, then passed out for her nap yesterday and woke up with 102 fever. I've been giving Tylenol but we went to the urgent care last night because it spiked to 104 and then back down to 101-102 where it's mostly been since. Today it's just been hovering between 100-102. Dr told me this is pretty normal. The baby seems mostly normal if just a little tiny bit crabbier then usual, but it's kind of scary since this is the first time she's really had a fever and it just seems to keep going. :(

That sucks and is super scary, but your doctor is telling the truth. Our eldest spiked a fever the day after every vaccine he got as a baby. It's a normal part of the process of integrating new immune information. Poor spacepuppy.