Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Nobody talks about Link's greatest helper of all, disembodied voice of Zelda talking to Link in his sleep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Spellman posted:

Nobody talks about Link's greatest helper of all, Tingle

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

The Bloop posted:

I would play the poo poo out of WW2 though

Good news it exists and is called "Phantom Hourglass"

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Cartoon Man posted:

All I play now is Breath of the Wild. I’ll always appreciate what came before with fond memories, but BOTW style gameplay is here to stay, no going back.

I'll be buying every one that is like this

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Wrong.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’m still wanting that supposed BotW mechanic demo where they used the original NES graphics. A full game of that would be my dream Zelda game.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Open Marriage Night posted:

I’m still wanting that supposed BotW mechanic demo where they used the original NES graphics. A full game of that would be my dream Zelda game.

Truly the worst Zelda opinion.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Tatl was very mean to Link after it was implied that his horse was killed

She then victim-blames him for it. Not cool imo. Wish i could have bottled her up and sold her to the curiosities merchant

Isn't this kinda the point though? She's literally one of the antagonists at the start, and only allies with Link out of necessity. It's not until the end of the first loop, when she sees Skull Kid physically abuse her brother, that she's actually on Link's side, and for the rest of the game, she's still a bit abrasive, but otherwise no longer callously cruel like she was before.

She's actually a character, with a character arc, compared to Navi who's...barely above a button prompt.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Tatl sucks and I was bummed as a kid since I couldnt have Tael instead

way cooler color and seemed more chill overall

I was grumpy when it looked like it'd be him coming with me to the moon but it's just Tatl as usual.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I like that there is a shorter scene if you replay the Moon part.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Good news it exists and is called "Phantom Hourglass"

I mean I did play that quite a lot and enjoyed it, but I mean a true direct same engine game. No other Zelda title has been as joyous as WW

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Zelda 1 for NES would still be talked about and played competitively today if only they hadn't scrapped the 2p versus mode that was later shoehorned into double dragon.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

The Bloop posted:

I mean I did play that quite a lot and enjoyed it, but I mean a true direct same engine game. No other Zelda title has been as joyous as WW

It's ridiculous it's not out on switch yet! It would be so chill to be able to sail around on the go

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’ve been waiting forever for Nintendo to get a Zelda game into some sort of future with technology. It doesn’t have to be Grand Theft Auto: Hyrule, but some sort of future with buildings and vehicles would own.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

there are other things in life to get joy from than video games lmao

:mods:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Majoras Mask 3D is fine but the bulk of the changes definitely made the game a bit worse and people saying otherwise are fooling themselves

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Majoras Mask 3D is fine but the bulk of the changes definitely made the game a bit worse and people saying otherwise are fooling themselves

I think the only changes that made the game worse are Deku Link's slow hops and Zora Link's slow swimming. All the QoL changes are a positive. The problem is that those movement changes are so loving bad I can't even play the game.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

MokBa posted:

I think the only changes that made the game worse are Deku Link's slow hops and Zora Link's slow swimming. All the QoL changes are a positive. The problem is that those movement changes are so loving bad I can't even play the game.

The Restoration patch is a godsend

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

all versions of majora's mask are the greatest game ever made

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I just dug up my 3DS to see if I had GB Link's Awakening on it, and Majora's Mask was sitting right there front and center.
What to do :thunk:

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

https://twitter.com/bo_oj0916/status/1546739618057437184?s=21&t=y6ezhK5hzmWTZ3ctfkB0Xg

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Been awhile, just had to remind of the best Zelda song ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g3gWQ5XN30

with runnerups:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSeEk1TVQqk
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VQTUa5Dryc

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ROFL Octopus posted:

The Restoration patch is a godsend

Seriously the best way to play Majora's Mask.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Barreft posted:

Been awhile, just had to remind of the best Zelda song ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g3gWQ5XN30

:hmmyes:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MokBa posted:

Odolwa and Goht got mulched too

Odolwa is one of the coolest starting boss fights because he always felt like he belonged in the middle of a game

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

romanowski posted:

all versions of majora's mask are the greatest game ever made

This tbh

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Odolwa and Goht got mulched too

Odolwa is one of the coolest starting boss fights because he always felt like he belonged in the middle of a game

Oh man I forgot about that. Total horseshit.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I wish they'd do a 3D All-Stars for Zelda, with Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and The Wind Waker, with the same treatment pretty much. Hopefully they could make the Tingle Tuner accessible somehow

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

New Gyorg and Twinmold also sucked. They made all the bosses more tedious and gave them those stupid looking eye weakpoints.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Spellman posted:

I wish they'd do a 3D All-Stars for Zelda, with Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and The Wind Waker, with the same treatment pretty much. Hopefully they could make the Tingle Tuner accessible somehow

They'd leave out Majora just to gently caress us over like they did with Galaxy 2

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The 64 games are on the NSO anyway so I just want a WWHD/TPHD collection to tide us over until BOTW2 :smith:

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

They'd leave out Majora just to gently caress us over like they did with Galaxy 2

Yes, we would likely get OoT, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Which, heretical to some, but I'd accept it—I like Twilight Princess quite a bit

But there's no reason why they couldn't update those collections in the future, MM and Galaxy 2 cannot be forgotten

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Spellman posted:

I wish they'd do a 3D All-Stars for Zelda, with Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and The Wind Waker, with the same treatment pretty much.

Half-assed and, months later, available for free with Nintendo Switch Online?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I don't see Sunshine on NSO...

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The Merkinman posted:

Half-assed and, months later, available for free with Nintendo Switch Online?

I'd want to see the HUD using correct Switch button prompts, redrawn for N64, and the original typefaces upscaled to something not-blurry (why did they change the boss text on 3ds)

That's mainly what sets 3D All-Stars apart from the NSO. It probably could've used more goodies in menus, but I like it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I pulled out my 3DS and have been playing through Link's Awakening on there for the last few days. Man I love that little game to death, both on GB and Switch. I think the GB version has its own charm, it feels like a high point of graphics and music on there, and I'm surprised every time I go back to it how impressively it plays for something designed on the OG Gameboy.
My biggest complaint is the ending, after going through the three best dungeons and opening the egg, it feels like you're all psyched up to do something epic. Nope, a short empty maze you have the solution to, and you're dumped into the final boss room. I just wish there had been something substantial to do in there first.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
They probably ran out of space on the original cart but a big gigantic final dungeon would have been so cool. They could have added one in the remake :/

I think I'll play it again on my Zelda anniversary game and watch soon

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
My worst Zelda opinions are that OoT was a more boring LttP even when it launched, and I absolutely hate that "use dungeon item to defeat boss" has become the standard for Zelda bosses. It feels like cheap, lazy game design to me. To be fair there have been moments where they do something super cool with it (the Spinner boss fight in Arbiter's Grounds is the best example of this) but 90% of the time it's lazy poo poo like "I got the bow, guess I have to shoot the boss in its big glowing eye."

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Twelve by Pies posted:

My worst Zelda opinions are that OoT was a more boring LttP even when it launched, and I absolutely hate that "use dungeon item to defeat boss" has become the standard for Zelda bosses. It feels like cheap, lazy game design to me. To be fair there have been moments where they do something super cool with it (the Spinner boss fight in Arbiter's Grounds is the best example of this) but 90% of the time it's lazy poo poo like "I got the bow, guess I have to shoot the boss in its big glowing eye."

That's why LBW is the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Sadly LBW also does the "use item on the boss" thing even though you rent items instead of getting them in dungeons. It's just that the item required is the one you need to traverse the dungeon, so the boss of House of Gales, which requires the Tornado Rod to enter/traverse, requires the Tornado Rod to defeat it. Same with Arrghus requiring the Hookshot (which you need to get through Swamp) and Kholdstare requiring the Fire Rod (which wasn't true in LttP, as you could also break the ice with Bombos, which wasn't obtained in a dungeon and in fact wasn't even necessary to beat the game).

I don't think every boss required an item (Moldorm didn't) but it still did it far more than LttP, which only had one boss that required the dungeon item (that one being Arrghus, though the dungeon item was very helpful for many fights like Armos Knights, Helmasaur King, and Mothula, but again, not required at all).

Link's Awakening started the trend, but it was something mostly new in that game, and there were still a couple of bosses where the item wasn't necessary (in a technical sense, like you need the flippers to fight the boss of Angler's Tunnel, but since it isn't a weapon, you can't really "use" it against the boss, same with Feather being helpful against Moldorm, but not required since it isn't a weapon). OoT was where the series went all in on "You must use the dungeon item to defeat the boss" and I think that Zelda as a whole suffers from it.

Though of course BotW doesn't do it, and Majora's Mask doesn't really do it either. Majora's Mask bosses are more about using the masks to fight the bosses, probably because weirdly, every dungeon item in Majora's Mask is an arrow.