Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HL2 is an 8/11 game for me, but I'll defend the first half life extremely hard even if Xen sucks in all its forms and the opening tram ride ruined a generation of FPS games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Blue Raider posted:

Really all those cods with wall running were rear end. Trying to be titanfall and failing

I dunno. I just finally played Infinite Warfare for the first time and thought it was fantastic. The game in general, not it's use of wall running which was super whatever and def a joke compared to Titanfall.

I honestly think if you ripped the Call of Duty name off it and replaced it with some generic sci fi thing it would be one of those goon cult favorites lie Control, where it's a good game, but people act like it's the second coming of christ.

Advanced Warfare was honestly pretty decent as well but I don't have anything particularly evangelical to say about it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

AW was cool cos you get to throw Kevin Spacey off a building

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Laserface posted:

I didnt play Quake but HL1/2 good grief I loving hate the 'plot' of Half Life.

I guess you were right to not play Quake 1 because it's got the patented John Carmack Plot® of "shoot gun until win". :haw:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

loving hell, Prime Day and still no discount whatsoever on Xbox Storage cards. Meanwhile for the equivalent amount of storage they’re selling fast M.2 SSDs for a little over half the price of the storage card equivalent.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
So FarCry 5 is Ubisoft bad but otherwise good.

Plus points: it opens with you climbing a tower to unlock your map, but the guy over the radio explicitly tells you he won't keep asking you to do this.
There's a quest about the piss tape being real, including a joke about it ironically not being wetwork.

Cons: Checkpoints in missions too far apart, progress too slow and requiring too many side nonsenses.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

univbee posted:

loving hell, Prime Day and still no discount whatsoever on Xbox Storage cards. Meanwhile for the equivalent amount of storage they’re selling fast M.2 SSDs for a little over half the price of the storage card equivalent.

loving epic

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

brb, penning a letter to my family to let them know. I'll share it with thread too (of course)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

we have to kill Amazon prime

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

univbee posted:

Post which games you have installed and I'll tell you which to delete. I will provide this service for free.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Huh, in the UK the expansion SSD is 35% off.

I'm still not buying one I'll delete games I'm not playing for free.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

univbee posted:

Pro tip: Check your local game store in an area near a Wal Mart. I got a mad discount on a used* 1tb card at mine.

*New (stolen)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Just plug in a portable ssd, you can use it for other things too later

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

When I got my XB1 I also picked up 500gb SSD and a 3TB external drive off of Amazon, and I still haven't filled up either of them after 6 years. When I got the XSX last month I just plugged those into it and everything worked fine.
Only like 3 games so far told me they HAD to be installed on the internal XSX storage.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Jables88 posted:

So FarCry 5 is Ubisoft bad but otherwise good.

Plus points: it opens with you climbing a tower to unlock your map, but the guy over the radio explicitly tells you he won't keep asking you to do this.
There's a quest about the piss tape being real, including a joke about it ironically not being wetwork.

Cons: Checkpoints in missions too far apart, progress too slow and requiring too many side nonsenses.

You haven’t seen the worst parts of the game yet when the story decides it’s time for the plot to move forward and your character gets gassed, abducted and shuttled across the map and you have to escape an extended base sequence while under the effects of the drugs or whatever.

The moment to moment gameplay is fun for those of us who like those games (there are dozens of us!!), but there is a lot about Far Cry 5 that sucks.

I enjoyed the expansion/standalone New Dawn for 5 though. And 6 was a flat improvement across the board in every respect.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Soul Glo posted:

You haven’t seen the worst parts of the game yet when the story decides it’s time for the plot to move forward and your character gets gassed, abducted and shuttled across the map and you have to escape an extended base sequence while under the effects of the drugs or whatever.

The moment to moment gameplay is fun for those of us who like those games (there are dozens of us!!), but there is a lot about Far Cry 5 that sucks.

I enjoyed the expansion/standalone New Dawn for 5 though. And 6 was a flat improvement across the board in every respect.

I'll be honest I have done a few of those sequences already and they are firmly in the Cons column.

I guess I can look forward to playing 6 on GamePass in what, early 2024?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Huh, in the UK the expansion SSD is 35% off.

I'm still not buying one I'll delete games I'm not playing for free.

Interesting. Given other ads I’ve seen for Amazon UK I suspect they have better deals in the UK for some reason (e.g. on TVs as well).

Sywert of Thieves posted:

When I got my XB1 I also picked up 500gb SSD and a 3TB external drive off of Amazon, and I still haven't filled up either of them after 6 years. When I got the XSX last month I just plugged those into it and everything worked fine.
Only like 3 games so far told me they HAD to be installed on the internal XSX storage.

I’ve had a ton including games where this should be pointless like Yes Your Grace. The games you can play from a USB drive are basically XB1 games that can have some (but not all) Series benefits like VRR support, but the actual built for Series stuff that support ray tracing and better load times and poo poo like that is a mandatory internal storage install. It’s especially frustrating with the Series S because almost no Scarlett-build games actually reduce their install size on the Series S. I think Halo Infinite is the only game that properly has a separate build for all four Xboxes where they’re all different sizes.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Can anyone link a solid guide (or just explain) how having two Xboxes in one household works in terms of simultaneous use?

Like many I've got a Series X but looking to add a Series S for a second room.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

and yet

so is Microsoft just rubber stamping everything? Wonder if there are any games out there that mega-break cert by bypassing parental controls somehow.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jables88 posted:

Can anyone link a solid guide (or just explain) how having two Xboxes in one household works in terms of simultaneous use?

Like many I've got a Series X but looking to add a Series S for a second room.

You can’t be signed on to the same account on both Xboxes at once, so you’ll need a secondary account setup for whoever isn’t you.

You can set one of the consoles as your primary console, which will make all digital games and normal DLC for them accessible to any user on that console. You can also play these same games on a 2nd console signed in as you with an active XBL connection, so you can 2-for-1 digital games and normal DLC (but not DLC that’s account specific by design like microtransaction currency) as long as your internet and XBL are functional.

So if I’m understanding you in the Series S being the secondary system, set it as your “home” console.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Quantum of Phallus posted:

found the smooth brained PS5 owners

yeah yeah yeah pipe down. i bet you don't even own a series x lmfao pwned

priznat posted:

Aw man that gives me nostalgia, Soldier of Fortune 2 was the last time I really felt like I was good at a multiplayer shooter :sigh:

That was great multiplayer, blowing dude's legs off with a shotgun :haw:

i miss when gibs were the hot new thing in the FPS game world. the last time i actually managed to find a server with people playing was SoF: Payback for the 360

barnold fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 12, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i own a series x because my brain is strong and powerful

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Multiplayer shooters have been all downhill since Action Quake imo. That was the poo poo

:corsair:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I multiplay enough in real life, video games are to get away from all the social stuff.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

univbee posted:

so is Microsoft just rubber stamping everything? Wonder if there are any games out there that mega-break cert by bypassing parental controls somehow.

I never worked in cert, but that is not the case. It is possible to get exceptions to specific items and usually that comes from specific business needs and timing and all that, but not sure how things like that make it through. I don't believe there are any exceptions on the parental stuff though because that could potentially have legal implications. If I were a betting man, cert reported the violation to the dev and the dev provided evidence they fixed the issue but actually did not. By the time it is published, it becomes a question of "do you want to delist it just because they are using the wrong icons?" For parental stuff, it would absolutely be delisted.

Lifespan fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 12, 2022

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

found the smooth brained PS5 owners

I don't even have a PS4. Sony has shown they hate their customers so why would I hop into that? I grew up on hexen and heretic, Half-Life is slow and boring comparatively. Also, it's pretty much the same story as Doom, so I don't get the whole grand storytelling thing, when it's so familiar already.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
hexen is like the definition of slow and boring

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

It's just a frame of reference, I'm not going to go from playing games like that and descent and even loving Castle Wolfenstein, to Half-Life and be blown away.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Just need to play doom.. within doom

https://www.pcgamer.com/doom-hacker-gets-doom-running-in-doom/

acksplode
May 17, 2004

You can see HL1's influence really clearly in series that released both before and after it. Like subtract Doom 1 from Doom 3 or Wolfenstein from Return to Castle Wolfenstein and you pretty much get Half-Life. It was the first FPS I played where narrative was front and center and presented cinematically without taking the camera from you. When it first released I stayed at a friend's house for a few days straight over holiday break so I could binge the campaign on his family's PC, it kicked rear end.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Half life owns. Played it on my series x recently. Still goated

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

acksplode posted:

You can see HL1's influence really clearly in series that released both before and after it. Like subtract Doom 1 from Doom 3 or Wolfenstein from Return to Castle Wolfenstein and you pretty much get Half-Life. It was the first FPS I played where narrative was front and center and presented cinematically without taking the camera from you. When it first released I stayed at a friend's house for a few days straight over holiday break so I could binge the campaign on his family's PC, it kicked rear end.

in the past this was actually why i saw a lot of people hating on it bc people prefered the old abstract fast-action shooter stuff like Doom/Quake to the early-00s scripted-sequence shooters in realistic settings but i think that's less common of a complaint now especially bc old school shooters have had an indie revival

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

In a weird way HL: Alyx kinda killed VR gaming for me, because it's so good and everything else is straight up garbage in comparison.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

priznat posted:

In a weird way HL: Alyx kinda killed VR gaming for me, because it's so good and everything else is straight up garbage in comparison.

it’s ridiculous how good it is

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

in the past this was actually why i saw a lot of people hating on it bc people prefered the old abstract fast-action shooter stuff like Doom/Quake to the early-00s scripted-sequence shooters in realistic settings but i think that's less common of a complaint now especially bc old school shooters have had an indie revival

Yeah I get how it's easy to look down on it because what it introduced has been so thoroughly adopted and even overused to the detriment of gameplay, but in the late 90s that poo poo was pretty incredible.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

it’s ridiculous how good it is

Going from that to something like Arizona Sunshine is just guhhhhhh.

I kind of hate how they just did that and went back to raking in the gobs of cash from Steam but more power to them I suppose.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

John F Bennett posted:

I multiplay enough in real life, video games are to get away from all the social stuff.

I like ESO the best because as someone from Seattle I like being in crowded areas where absolutely no one will interact or acknowledge anyone else around them unless explicitly required to do so.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The first COD took scripting and set pieces to the next level. That poo poo was bananas back in 03

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I dunno it was a pretty clear successor to MoH: Allied Assault which did loads of that stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I dunno it was a pretty clear successor to MoH: Allied Assault which did loads of that stuff

MoHAA is the goat. CoD1-3 felt like reruns, though 2 had some moments. Still no better multiplayer map than v2 rocket.