Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

There seem to be a million different types of vitamix blender and my eyes are glazing over trying to tell them apart. Are there any stinkers or are they all largely the same outside of bells and whistles?

Go to a restaurant supply store and pick up whatever they have refurbished. You'll save a lot of money this way. If you really want to explore all the attachments available for various models, shop at your leisure online. Vitamix has both commercial and home options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I tend to get whatever Costco has. Decent price and amazing return policy!

Sorry I can't speak for model differences. I still have an old "too tall to go under cabinets" model.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

https://www.vitamix.com/us/en_us/shop/7500

This might be a good one. I do not have a blender.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

obi_ant posted:

https://www.vitamix.com/us/en_us/shop/7500

This might be a good one. I do not have a blender.

I’ve had that exact blender for years, use it multiple times a day. It’s been excellent in every way, probably the best kitchen appliance I’ve ever owned.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i have vitamix 5200 which i think is the original model? its great

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

barkbell posted:

Same. That 7500 looks similar but with a shorter container which is probably better for most things.

Mine also came with a grain hopper or something that I’ve never used.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

barkbell posted:

yeah same. bought one used off amazon like five years ago and it's a tank. easily one of the best kitchen purchases i've made.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

It seems like a good price and it looks like an updated version of the 5200, which is America's Test Kitchen's favorite. I usually follow their suggestions and they've never steered me wrong.

The bigger question for me is if I really need a blender. When I'm at Costco and walk by the frozen fruit section, I always think to myself how cool it would be to make a smoothie. Or when I'm watching recipes and they require a blender for a sauce. Or maybe soup? But I've never looked into soup in a blender. What other uses am I missing out on here?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A lot of the utilitarian things like emulsifications can just be done with a stick. The big question on whether you want a vitamix is if you want to have the ability to make purees and soups without having to strain to get a smooth texture. Fwiw I think it's worth it. I would never make carrot soups and the like without it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Soup 100%
Peanut butter once a month or so
Hummus
Shaved ice for drinks

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I use my stick blender a lot more than my vitamix but when I need the vitamix there’s nothing like it. It’s a top tier kitchen appliance. One of those things that you know when you get it that you’ll never be looking for something better.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
I have had my Vitamix Professional Series 200 for probably 8-10 years and it's still running strong after several uses a week– smoothies, marinades, dressings, sauces, soups, nut butters, etc. If and when this thing dies, I will immediately replace it with another Vitamix.

I also have an immersion blender that I use fairly often and it's great, but the power of a Vitamix is nice for so many things that would require a lot more work an immersion.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

obi_ant posted:

It seems like a good price and it looks like an updated version of the 5200, which is America's Test Kitchen's favorite. I usually follow their suggestions and they've never steered me wrong.

The bigger question for me is if I really need a blender. When I'm at Costco and walk by the frozen fruit section, I always think to myself how cool it would be to make a smoothie. Or when I'm watching recipes and they require a blender for a sauce. Or maybe soup? But I've never looked into soup in a blender. What other uses am I missing out on here?
They seem cool as hell, but I've come to the conclusion that I really wouldn't use one enough to be worth it. I already have a food processor and an immersion blender, and I would rather just eat fruit than smoothies. I think my main use case would be for like diy frappuccinos/coolattas/slushies, which would be cool and delicious, but not really justifiable for me

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you're not in a hurry to a vitamix check the shopgoodwill auctions occasionally. Sometimes they get bid up crazy but you can get lucky and get one for cheap.
I have one I got for $20 plus shipping and another one of the really old chrome ones for about the same price.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Anne Whateley posted:

They seem cool as hell, but I've come to the conclusion that I really wouldn't use one enough to be worth it. I already have a food processor and an immersion blender, and I would rather just eat fruit than smoothies. I think my main use case would be for like diy frappuccinos/coolattas/slushies, which would be cool and delicious, but not really justifiable for me
If price is your primary concern, I've had the Instapot Ace since release and it's been great for cold and hot blending. It looks like it's around $150 on Amazon.

One potential disadvantage over the Vitamix is the weight of the carafe. I seem to recall from a Costco display unit that the Vitamix was much, much lighter.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Reminder that tomorrow and Wednesday are Prime day on Amazon - I don't think there are any amazing deals expected for kitchen stuff, but it may be worth holding off for another 24 hours.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Any new thoughts on the Anova Precision Oven?

Our situation:
  • Our in-wall oven is bad, awful, and also not very good. We will probably replace it but not for a couple of years.
  • We primarily will air fry, steam oven, with a bit of cupcakes and nachos every now and then
  • We could get a cheaper air fryer and keep doing the "dutch oven for oven spring" baking method, but this might be better results all around + helps with party cooking
  • I think I will sell my Joule SV and Excalibur dehydrator to defray ~$200-250 of the cost

Here's what I've found on the forums in the past, any new thoughts since then?

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone noticed the anova oven consistently underbaking conventional recipes? I use the top+bottom heat setting, no steam and no fan for recipes I find elsewhere, and it always seems like things come out underdone in the center. To date I've made chocolate chip cookies, a coffee cake from SE, and a batch of beer bread. All underdone to raw in the center. Am I using the wrong heat source setting?
(nobody replied)

Arcsech posted:

Bread (any kind of baked good, really) works really well. The steam really makes the crust come out fantastic.

toplitzin posted:

Yes.
It does pure steam, steam+convection, roasting, broiling, proofing, traditional baking, air frying, bagless SV, and dehydration.

Being able to SV a roast and sear/finish in the same tool is great.
To be honest i use it more than my under-range oven since it's faster to pre-heat, and rarely am i cooking something big enough to need the cubic volume of the main oven.

The chicken and rice bake in the app/recipes is in the weekly rotation for our house. (Use the recipe as an outline, swap in your own flavors)

Anova ALSO went and dropped a $Reasonable Chamber Vacuum too!
https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-chamber-vacuum-sealer/

Edit: The black pepper chicken is pretty good, the air fried chicken nuggets are pretty good, i made some wonderful bagels recently, and haven't tried french bread/sourdough/artisan loaves yet.

bird with big dick posted:

sous vide oven makes pretty good bread.

The Walrus posted:

starting to get some pretty fuckin good results from the anova. it takes some dialing in. this might be the best crumb I've ever gotten on any bake. it's beautiful.

ATK preferred a different, non-steam "smart oven" but since we bake the steam option is important, plus their reviews are always kinda sus

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
The Vitamix 5200 is $299 for Prime Day.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

can't beat that.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Use the money you save to buy some hearing protection to go along with the 5200. Motherfuckers are loud.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Goddamn. We’re closing on a house in a few weeks so we are super cash poor right now, otherwise I would jump on that.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

SubG posted:

Use the money you save to buy some hearing protection to go along with the 5200. Motherfuckers are loud.

i've got a 5200 and it's fine imo

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I have a 5200, and it's loud. Vitamix claims 89-95 dB, and that's pretty conservative (most independent tests put the noise at top speed around 97 dB).

That's not "instant hearing loss" loud, but for most people it will be louder than anything else they've got in their kitchen.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nothing like putting your vitamix at full blast and having all the air around you suddenly swirl around like you’ve freed a demon from the necronomicon

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm looking to replace my college steak knives in a wood block. From browsing this thread I'm lead to believe I don't want to just buy a similar set of serrated steak knives, but I've almost no idea what I should be looking for. I want to buy at least 6 knives that I can serve to people so they can cut their food with. I already have a chef's knife to cook with.

Should I be looking for something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Cutlery-1134937-Fusion-Pieces/dp/B07L3LBSV4/ref=sr_1_17

Or is something a little smaller like buying a set of this paring knife worth the extra expense? https://www.amazon.com/Tojiro-DP-3-5-inch-Paring-Knife/dp/B000UAQOSW/ref=sr_1_6

Or am I wildly off-base and you'd recommend something totally different?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Chicago knives looks pretty nice. Definitely don’t get serrated. You want to slice your steak cleanly and not tear it.

Edit: I have some sort of Henkels set but I like the look of those Chicago cutlery knives a lot better. Hmm.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I own these and they are perfect for my use case:

J.A. Henckels ZWILLING Knives Steak Knife Set, 4-piece, Stainless Steel
https://a.co/d/dFGRc4b

I prefer zero-maintenance kitchen items whenever possible. These will not fall through steak the way a sharp non-serrated knife will but they will perform to a standard I'm ok with for a very long time. If you want something more luxurious that you won't dishwash and are willing to sharpen you can look at cool wood-handled stuff. Buying six tojiro paring knives would be, imo, overkill.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 12, 2022

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I’ve always been a fan of Laguiole knives. Reasonably priced, nice design.

Be careful on Amazon, I assume there are lots of knock offs. Laguiole is a kind of knife, not a specific brand, and “Laguiole-style” or “made in the tradition” is pretty common in the descriptions.

So the quality and price varies depending on the manufacturer. I have a couple sets of relatively inexpensive (Jean Dubost) ones for daily use.

https://www.jeandubost.com/laguiole-jean-dubost-flatware-knives

I’m quite sure these Amazon ones are all knock-offs, for example. But you get the idea. Beware of fancy packaging because apparently French law allows a seller to put “Made in France” if 45% of the entire product is from France or it’s territories. So you have a $40 set of knives with a $15 wooden box and $25 Chinese knives and it can say it’s Made in France.

https://www.amazon.com/Laguiole-Pie...435577903&psc=1

They have all kinds of designs.

Serrated

Colors.

If you want authentic stuff, check this out:

https://www.laguiole.com/laguiole-cutlery-table-services-laguiole-table-knives-c-87_29.html?osCsid=ovtbco3mvuprel6ek8hvu777u1

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 12, 2022

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Really really really considering the Amazon Basics enameled cast iron dutch oven. I've been watching for deals on a Le Cruset, but $43 is almost in the "don't even think about it" price range. Any huge red flags for them?

Edit:

VelociBacon posted:

The quality of the enamel on the amazon basics dutch oven is really lacking. It has some pockmarks in it and 80% of it's use is baking bread. I suspect the enamel and the underlaying cast iron aren't bonded as well as you'd find with the more expensive offerings and as they heat/cool at different rates the enamel is weakened.

If you're reading this, how long did it take for these pockmarks to develop?

Tricky Ed fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 12, 2022

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Tricky Ed posted:

Really really really considering the Amazon Basics enameled cast iron dutch oven. I've been watching for deals on a Le Cruset, but $43 is almost in the "don't even think about it" price range. Any huge red flags for them?

Edit:

If you don't already own a Dutch oven, getting that one or the equivalent Lodge for your first one is the best bet. 5 or 5.5QT is probably the size you want. The main difference between Amazon/Lodge and Le Creuset/Staub (the other high end brand) is the quality of the enamel - LC/Staub have much better quality control and are literal heirloom pieces of cookware. Lodge/Amazon can run for years without issues, but there are also reports of them cracking/chipping within a few years.

If you find yourself using it a ton and the enamel holds up fine, congrats, you just saved yourself $$$.
If you find yourself using it a ton and the enamel chips/cracks after a couple years, consider upgrading.

The difference in quality among the brands when it comes to the end result of your cooking should be negligible - it's all about product longevity. It comes down to a question of how much you're using it, and whether the upgrade is worth the cost to you.

Note: One thing to confirm is the temperature threshold for Amazon/Lodge. They should both be 500F in your oven, but I know some other inexpensive brands have a lower threshold for various reasons (often lid handle material).

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

If you don't already own a Dutch oven, getting that one or the equivalent Lodge for your first one is the best bet. 5 or 5.5QT is probably the size you want. The main difference between Amazon/Lodge and Le Creuset/Staub (the other high end brand) is the quality of the enamel - LC/Staub have much better quality control and are literal heirloom pieces of cookware. Lodge/Amazon can run for years without issues, but there are also reports of them cracking/chipping within a few years.

If you find yourself using it a ton and the enamel holds up fine, congrats, you just saved yourself $$$.
If you find yourself using it a ton and the enamel chips/cracks after a couple years, consider upgrading.

The difference in quality among the brands when it comes to the end result of your cooking should be negligible - it's all about product longevity. It comes down to a question of how much you're using it, and whether the upgrade is worth the cost to you.

Note: One thing to confirm is the temperature threshold for Amazon/Lodge. They should both be 500F in your oven, but I know some other inexpensive brands have a lower threshold for various reasons (often lid handle material).

LC has a lower threshold due to the handle, but it's $20 for a stainless steel replacement last I checked

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

gently caress me, $500 for a set of steak knives? I want to eat at your house Phil.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Fart Car '97 posted:

LC has a lower threshold due to the handle, but it's $20 for a stainless steel replacement last I checked

I just checked the website and it says 500F?

https://www.lecreuset.com/round-dutch-oven/LS2501.html

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

LC's default knob material used to be plastic so you'd have to buy an all metal replacement. Looks like that's no longer the case.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I’ve always been a fan of Laguiole knives. Reasonably priced, nice design.

a lot of the Laguiole steak knives have a single bevel, which annoys me. I got rid of mine but they're the go-to knife for everybody in my immediate family and they all love them.

I do like the traditional handmade ones, though. a lot of them come with a corkscrew in case you need to open wine and a trocar in case you need to open sheep.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tricky Ed posted:

Edit:

Hey, yeah I am reading this - I'm reading everything - always.

They probably took 4 months to develop but that's with like having it in the dishwasher a few times, people using metal instruments in it, etc. We still have that same one and it's cooling down on the stove right now with a bunch of pasta sauce in it. I love that thing and if it broke I would get the exact same one again. If you NEED to be able to consistently put it in the oven at OVER 450F, maybe look for something rated for that, but it's held up really well. You should absolutely buy that. No red flags.

e: Just checked the listing and it says safe to 400F, but we've been using it around 425F for a long time. I don't think it's really a problem, the handle is metal.

e2: I should tell you I tried to get one from amazon warehouse first and it was like a 6 month old used one that someone clearly returned in place of the new one they bought. I would go new.

e3: wow 3. I just wanted to say that I do disagree a bit with a goon above who suggested the 5qt, I think with dutch ovens you want to get the largest one that you'll be able to store, work with, wash, etc. I cook for 2-6 people at a time with it and depending on what's in there (a roast on veg for example) you'd be hard pressed to be able to put the lid on sometimes.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 13, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Okay kitchen equipment thread. Those of you who broke down and got the Anova chamber vacuum, how do you like it? Especially versus your traditional vacuum sealers?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

.Z. posted:

LC's default knob material used to be plastic so you'd have to buy an all metal replacement. Looks like that's no longer the case.

Yeah, when I got mine a few years ago they came with polymer handles but it looks like they now come with the stainless steel by default. Rad.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

VelociBacon posted:

I just wanted to say that I do disagree a bit with a goon above who suggested the 5qt, I think with dutch ovens you want to get the largest one that you'll be able to store, work with, wash, etc. I cook for 2-6 people at a time with it and depending on what's in there (a roast on veg for example) you'd be hard pressed to be able to put the lid on sometimes.

Yeah, I'm getting it to replace a 6 qt Lodge (no coating) and I'm going bigger. It'll fit nicely between the IP and the stock pot. Thanks for the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

parthenocarpy posted:

Go to a restaurant supply store and pick up whatever they have refurbished. You'll save a lot of money this way. If you really want to explore all the attachments available for various models, shop at your leisure online. Vitamix has both commercial and home options.

Seconding this. I have two refurbished Vitamix blenders that I use in my business. They work wonderfully.

As far as differences between models, the Ascent series has a lot of nice features that would be very useful at home. I use a Ninja blender at home, and it does the job. If I were to get a Vitamix for home use, I'd probably get an Ascent. If I got another blender for the commercial kitchen, I'd get a refurb Experian.

EDIT: Amazon has a Prime Day deal with $50 off an Ascent. They have some good discounts on other models as well.