Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

loquacius posted:

I appreciate this post a lot and think it's a little sad that any female transphobe is now called a TERF because the classical definition of "second-waver who is so mad at the concept of penises and at Kids These Days that they have earnestly convinced themselves that all trans women are braving bigotry and violence and taking hormones daily for years just so that they can sneak into women's bathrooms and force lesbians to touch dicks" is so loving bonkers that it needs to be preserved

Don't forget getting UTIs from being too afraid to use public restrooms. So that they can enter women's restrooms.

It's also a very common notion that trans women take hormones and get surgery and change their name so that they can wear dresses and put on makeup and play with barbies. And, if only we just let men do those things, they wouldn't need to transition. People have some very weird ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
it's true, i transitioned so i wouldn't have to wear pants anymore

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

tokin opposition posted:

it's true, i transitioned so i wouldn't have to wear pants anymore

The Virgin Transwoman vs. The Chad Scotsman.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Southpaugh posted:

*extremely natalie wynn voice* why is no one talking about the female peniiiiiis

Is contrapoints good still? I don't think I've seen one of her videos in years. Probably just on the creator grift hamster wheel.

Iirc she got cancelled for being casually lovely about NBs I think, then doubled down doing a video about it then quit then came back with at least one more video about getting cancelled.
Iirc she did a video implying all her critics were just jealous

From what I remember she's pretty up front though that she just wants to make videos where she can dress up and make sets and would like to put the politics angle behind her.
I'm probably butchering it but I remember her line being something like "leftism was something I cared about when I was a sad alcoholic man, now I just want to look beautiful"

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
if you haven’t watched a contrapoints video in a while, i really recommend her video ‘jk rowling’ - she uses rowling as a case study for analyzing gender critical and reactionary rhetoric/motivations. it’s a useful distillation of a lot of stuff

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I’m a fan of feminist

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Ocean Book posted:

if you haven’t watched a contrapoints video in a while, i really recommend her video ‘jk rowling’ - she uses rowling as a case study for analyzing gender critical and reactionary rhetoric/motivations. it’s a useful distillation of a lot of stuff

no.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
k

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Communist Thoughts posted:

Iirc she got cancelled for being casually lovely about NBs I think, then doubled down doing a video about it then quit then came back with at least one more video about getting cancelled.

From what I remember she's pretty up front though that she just wants to make videos where she can dress up and make sets and would like to put the politics angle behind her.
I'm probably butchering it but I remember her line being something like "leftism was something I cared about when I was a sad alcoholic man, now I just want to look beautiful"

Ah, so she sold out. Good to know.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I haven't bothered to watch any of her new videos (because they seem longwinded and self indulgent) but I did go scope the situation out and its very much just streaming and maintaining parasocial relationships. If someone wants to game and perform for a chatroom, more power to them its not like its doing anyone any harm (one hopes). Holy poo poo the patreons still making a bare minimum of 20k a month lmao.

Dropping the politics angle is kinda sad, and its the thing that has given her gently caress you money and the ability to maintain a high standard of living so its seems a bit like a FYGM situation. I do enjoy catching up on the 2016 breadtube people, turns out they were all mostly full of poo poo.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

oh i sorry i thought this was the freemenism thread

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

dune threads that way pal

Dysthymia
May 13, 2022

That’s a pretty telling line TBH.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I cared about leftism as a man as much as I do as a woman but that's probably because I don't have a ten bazillion dollar a month Patreon

Yet

Venmo: @tokinoppositionhasanenormousdongyumyum

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Losing interest in leftism generally because you're personally comfortable now is pretty lovely, but I could forgive losing interest in being a "leftist content creator". That seems like a nightmare.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Wait a second, how is this not bimbofication

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

the more powerful ive become the less interested in leftism ive become. for obvious reasons - with my abilities i will thrive no matter what adversities await

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wait a second, how is this not bimbofication

HOLY poo poo

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Losing interest in leftism generally because you're personally comfortable now is pretty lovely, but I could forgive losing interest in being a "leftist content creator". That seems like a nightmare.

How about being MovieBob?

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Tankbuster posted:

How about being MovieBob?

I think thats something a Cenobite does to you after you open the Lament Configuration.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I think thats something a Cenobite does to you after you open the Lament Configuration.

Lmao

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/SecularlyYours/status/1546821295760986113

terfs are when you're so radically feminist that you have decided childcare is women's work

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Second-wave feminism somehow still being a wedge issue is frustrating because older white ladies who have conservative viewpoints on every issue except abortion and the pay gap are one of the strongest demographics driving the "left" toward the right

If the GOP were smart they'd run Fiorina or something and tell her to talk about public bathrooms all the time. They'd easily hoover these second-wavers up and could just tell evangelicals to shut up and Vote Red No Matter Who

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1546843671626235908
https://mobile.twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1546843938581086209

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

I guess that Rowling is proof that you can’t be cancelled if you just keep posting through it. Also lol that she and Matt Walsh have turned on each-other after one day.

I don’t get why she wants to make being a TERF a core part of her identity. Like I definitely have very racist, very conservative family members who nevertheless have other interests.

Edit: Has it been brought up how the UK government made a big anti-trans conspiracy because of dumb monarchy stuff? https://inews.co.uk/news/long-reads/secret-court-case-50-years-ago-robbed-transgender-people-rights-1291857

Pulcinella has issued a correction as of 23:31 on Jul 12, 2022

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

JK Rowling is a phenomenally wealthy english middle aged English woman.

She has nothing in her life but the money mill and being a TERF online.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the mom website made transphobia a key part of British feminism somehow, it's like the most important plank it has

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Nobody is a half TERF, if you're willing to start entertaining it you're very quickly going to alienate anyone who could pull you out of the lineham spiral (© me)

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

tokin opposition posted:

Nobody is a half TERF, if you're willing to start entertaining it you're very quickly going to alienate anyone who could pull you out of the lineham spiral (© me)

In order to understand a half-TERF, we first must talk about parallel universes.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

is glinner's backstory simply that he got very divorced, like, more divorced than usual, because he has that energy

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

also TBH I kind of feel like JKR's TERF backstory has as much to do with her writing some extremely bad movies that killed her franchise as it did with the deplorable state of UK feminism in general

she's lashing out, incel-like

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Linehan is a successful-in-the-90s irish comedy writer. He lives in britain. He and the wife made a pro-choice ad in the run up to the Repeal the 8th (amendment of Bunracht na hEireann, the irish constitution) campaign, which was successful and made abortion legal in Ireland. They got a lot of pats on the back from the pro-choice crowd. So he was a loud feminist voice for a time and well regarded. Between then and now he became extremely online and extremely concerned about trans people, this preceded and presumably instigated the divorce. He's had some kind of mid life crisis or just went off the beam over all this for some reason.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

loquacius posted:

also TBH I kind of feel like JKR's TERF backstory has as much to do with her writing some extremely bad movies that killed her franchise as it did with the deplorable state of UK feminism in general

she's lashing out, incel-like

I guess that could be the case, having had the postive vibes of the earlier movies and books taken away from her. Most Rowling fans I know are very critical of her but don't want to just throw their prized HP novels in the bin.

Also that like, sequel stage play that they did sounds loving nuts.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Pulcinella posted:

Edit: Has it been brought up how the UK government made a big anti-trans conspiracy because of dumb monarchy stuff? https://inews.co.uk/news/long-reads/secret-court-case-50-years-ago-robbed-transgender-people-rights-1291857

This makes so much sense especially considering how the anti-trans push is an obsession of the elite and their lapdog media while the public poll at much better numbers for trans acceptance despite the constant media fear mongering. Just one more hosed up result of Britain's inbred class system. Also the same old story of people acting like this gay stuff is all brand new, not like when I was young! When it turns out trans people were being profiled in the media as far back as the 30s, as curios admittedly, but in what appears to be a much more accepting manner based on that link.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Southpaugh posted:

Linehan is a successful-in-the-90s irish comedy writer. He lives in britain. He and the wife made a pro-choice ad in the run up to the Repeal the 8th (amendment of Bunracht na hEireann, the irish constitution) campaign, which was successful and made abortion legal in Ireland. They got a lot of pats on the back from the pro-choice crowd. So he was a loud feminist voice for a time and well regarded. Between then and now he became extremely online and extremely concerned about trans people, this preceded and presumably instigated the divorce. He's had some kind of mid life crisis or just went off the beam over all this for some reason.

Yeah, the divorce came after he went insanely TERF and seems to have been because it's literally all he would talk about even to his wife and kids.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
gently caress terfs

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, the divorce came after he went insanely TERF and seems to have been because it's literally all he would talk about even to his wife and kids.

Everyone reading this already knows, probably, but he's not just divorced from his wife, the trans obsession basically annihilated all his relationships with family and friends. P. Sure he's actively avoided by other terves at this point.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Everyone reading this already knows, probably, but he's not just divorced from his wife, the trans obsession basically annihilated all his relationships with family and friends. P. Sure he's actively avoided by other terves at this point.

Oh yeah. Doesn't help that I imagine he has the stink of 'this could happen to you' the terves think deep down looking at him.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Impressive really, that level of Committing To The Bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Imagine your wife telling you to calm down with the poo poo about trans people a little bit because you're getting a little fixated and it's offputting, and responding that it's too bad that she just doesn't have the same commitment to women's rights you do or something like that