Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

this thread is getting real bad again. DO SOMETHING!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
we could talk about deep time again, that's always good for a terrifying psychic crisis

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Laterite posted:

we could talk about deep time again, that's always good for a terrifying psychic crisis

Deep like my time with ur mom

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

<shining flashlight on my face from below, whispering in hushed and ominous tones>
there are ultimate limits to inference which entail that we can't ever be certain about extinction before it has happened, and are therefore doomed to struggle until the bitter end.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Zodium posted:

<shining flashlight on my face from below, whispering in hushed and ominous tones>
there are ultimate limits to inference which entail that we can't ever be certain about extinction before it has happened, and are therefore doomed to struggle until the bitter end.

And then a skeleton popped out!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Biosphere Collapse: "It [the fire] is everywhere."

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

CODChimera posted:

this thread is getting real bad again. DO SOMETHING!!

It's not that bad, yet.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mayor Dave posted:

thanks to climate change meltdown may now lasts into July

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

lmao

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Mayor Dave posted:

thanks to climate change, meltdown may now lasts into July

Mayor Dave posted:

thanks to climate change meltdown, may now lasts into July

Lol

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i regret buying a house made of wood

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

r u ready to WALK posted:

i regret buying a house made of wood

at least you have a house. that feels like a significant advantage to have as we head into the end times

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

not seeing a lot of bees in my garden at the moment. its been a good 4 months since I’ve seen more than 3 at the same time

something might be happening hmm :shrug:

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Meanwhile all good worker bees must report to the office for another buzzing day on extinction planet

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

I thought there was supposed to be Big Rain at the end of June that would prevent the levels from falling further?

Fly Molo posted:

that depends, how many minutes of a sentient toilet licking the poo poo off of children’s asses is too much

*checks notes* oh, any number of minutes

:raise: you are NOT making me sorry I didn't read any more of that thread

seriously, you're making ADTRW sound like it's as bad as D&D in terms of horrible toxic ideas

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 13:30 on Jul 13, 2022

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I thought there was supposed to be Big Rain at the end of June that would prevent the levels from falling further?

There was some rain earlier in the month but not a lot. I read that there was supposed to be an "American Monsoon" (which is something I've never heard of before) but it sure doesn't seem like that's going to happen.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

How do pesticides and poo poo like that affect honey? If I had a hive in the middle of a bunch of farms would the honey be 20% herbicide by weight?

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Something like 99% of pesticides wind up in the soil, air, or water don't they?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

T-Paine posted:

unless they are blasting 10% into space i would guess 100 percent

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

There was some rain earlier in the month but not a lot. I read that there was supposed to be an "American Monsoon" (which is something I've never heard of before) but it sure doesn't seem like that's going to happen.

huh I wasn't expecting another deadpool sequel until next summer

i guess we'll see

T-Paine posted:

this doesn't have exact numbers but it's still not a fun read!! https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7105532/

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

T-Paine posted:

only 1% ends up in plants and animals (including humans) seems a tad low

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

TeenageArchipelago posted:

How do pesticides and poo poo like that affect honey? If I had a hive in the middle of a bunch of farms would the honey be 20% herbicide by weight?

you sound kinda like a doomer, let me give you some hope

https://www.science.org/content/article/pesticides-found-honey-around-world

quote:

They found neonicotinoids most frequently in samples from North America, where 86% had one or more neonicotinoid, and least often in South America, where they occurred in 57% of samples. Globally, just over a third of samples had levels that have been shown to hurt bees, the researchers report today in Science. None of the samples had concentrations dangerous to human health. More than two types of neonicotinoids turned up in 45% of the honey samples, and 10% had four or five; the effects of mixtures are not known, but suspected to be worse.

Now riddle me this: how can bolded thing one be true for sure if bolded thing to is unknown for sure?

:allears:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

only 1% ends up in plants and animals (including humans) seems a tad low

those end up dead in the soil

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
For you see, this has happened all before and will happen again. This crisis is not special. Humanity will start a new, I say from my ideological throne of comically under read bullshit to make myself feel good about actively participating in the problem while refusing to make apologies for any of it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

my dad bought me a greenwashed can of smoked fish that claims to be bpa-ni coated

i was like huh wut? so i looked it up

this means the company sprayed it with an epoxy resin but with no intent of getting any bpa in there.

some google result posted:

Scientists don't use terms such as “non-BPA” or “BPA-free,” Ziegler explained, because they are not accurate. The term “non-intent” is used instead, which means that BPA is not part of the initial can.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cabbages and Kings posted:

:raise: you are NOT making me sorry I didn't read any more of that thread

a very good call

quote:

seriously, you're making ADTRW sound like it's as bad as D&D in terms of horrible toxic ideas

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen

Real hurthling! posted:

my dad bought me a greenwashed can of smoked fish that claims to be bpa-ni coated

this means the company sprayed it with an epoxy resin but with no intent of getting any bpa in there.

factory of specifically untrained amelias bedelia dunking batches of cans into vats of BPA

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Fly Molo posted:

a very good call

nah

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
lake mead water level dropped 0.75 ft from monday to tuesday, and 0.15 ft from tuesday to today. according to my calculations, this means water levels will start increasing tomorrow, which means crisis is resolved

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

lake mead water level dropped 0.75 ft from monday to tuesday, and 0.15 ft from tuesday to today. according to my calculations, this means water levels will start increasing tomorrow, which means crisis is resolved

why don't they just tell everyone to go pee in the lake

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Assuming a constant rate of increase it'll be full in just under 12 years

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Mayor Dave posted:

Assuming a constant rate of increase it'll be full in just under 12 years

how long do we have until it overflows and floods the entire planet

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

blatman posted:

how long do we have until it overflows and floods the entire planet

The Sherwin Williams Doomsday Clock

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

my brother in christ look at raenir saladzar. look at what your garbage subforun created

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

god i love the hapless building manager approach to civilization

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real hurthling! posted:

listen, it’s like unintentionally dumping toxic waste into the aquifer: results don’t matter, intentions matter

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Sin City Outdoors update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6NbSbCTElc

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is the water normally that green?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007